test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you DEV's care anymore?

nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
People have been constantly complaining and begging for changes in the game. You NEVER respond in the forums. I go through the DEV tracker and the only responses I see are either being smart or just "we are bringing the server down for maintenance."

Or when a person says they are quitting you say "sorry to see you go closing thread" Do you even care to say "is there anything we can do to make your STO experience better?

That is not an attitude you should put toward your fans and customers.

Before PWE took over, Cryptic devs were constantly on this forum responding to people. The DEV tracker was full of that. Now it's all closing threads, and maintenance responses.

People having been begging for changes to several things over the past few months, and even in the past few weeks, and I am not even talking about bugs.

What is going on over there? Do you care OR NOT. The minute a mod sees a thread about someone quitting it's closed. The minute a feedback comes in, nothing. YOu just let the thread go and do nothing about it. It's creating anger with me.

I mean look at the reputation feedback thread, there is a 7 page thread on how you should make the Reputation account wide, NO response. Nothing. Show us you actually still care.
Post edited by nafeasonto1 on

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It might be that there. .

A, busy fixing bugs
    B, had enough of people having ago ALL the time even when some people have zero reason too

And

C, MAYBE it isn't there choice with new company management they might have had that option to take a look over the forums away from them by the powers above

Or maybe it's because a mix of all of the above

As far as your closed threads because people TROLL about leaving maybe it's because they can't be bothered with the cry baby look on the I Quit threads. . For one whom leaves in bet TEN replace them. . And to pamper to every thread of this nature is stupid because you. . .

A, can't please everyone
    B, it's called BUSINESS not let's see how we can bow down today

Sorry but man up and bit yer and grow a pair and deal
    JtaDmwW.png
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Heheh, I think their main source of feedback is their sales - not forum posts.

If LoR had failed the game would be doing even worse if that is any comfort. It now at least has the potential to become better.

Personally I hate the reputation in itself - but season 7 also bugged out the ground costumes for me, they remain blocked to this day.
    Just like I played through the romulan reputation for the flamethrower... derp.

Having experienced that, I couldn't agree more the reputations should be account wide.
    And the nukara one paying 20 marks per mission I am out, it's just ridiculous.

And for this here expansion I lost half my inventory in my mail on all characters, every second mail with items in it is blank, all kinds of purple weapons, gear and boff's out the window.

Be that as it may I'd never expect them to listen to me. When people ask what's it like to play sto I say "well it's free".
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    go read today's patch notes.

they did a great job, the only thing what is to whine about is the quality/capacity of the server equipment, but it is a good thing, that there are actually MORE players online as they anticipated.

good job cryptic, keep up!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The DEV's were very active at one point.

Then there was a mishap with a Dev making a unfortunate, yet innocent, remark on aonther forum, and then from one day to another, dev participation dropped from High, to very low in a matter of hours.

That, coupled with with the work they are likely to put into software development (bugfixing) you shoudl expect very little comments from them.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Closing "I Quit" threads has been the policy since launch. Of City of Heroes. In 2004. :)

I share your wish that the devs would post here more, but "I Quit" threads have always been forbidden. I assure you, however, that the Community Team does read these forums, and pass information along to the developers; further, many devs read relevant threads here, and even have them bookmarked to check daily, who may never post.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    duaths1 wrote: »
    go read today's patch notes.

they did a great job, the only thing what is to whine about is the quality/capacity of the server equipment, but it is a good thing, that there are actually MORE players online as they anticipated.

good job cryptic, keep up!

I don't know if you are in denial man, but I would read ALL the feedback threads, one by one. There are plenty of things wrong.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    'I quit thread' gets closed and has been for years as its part of the forums rules. that is not a new development. people are encouraged to comment on what changes they would like whenever they feel like it. the devs dont have to ask people what they would like to see changed. people are quite capable of doing that on their own.

they are have been very busy. The devs have also just released the biggest update ever, to the point where they had to come in at weekends and even work late just to get it out the door, and now have had to bug fix several large problems.

have you ever worked in an office where you are so busy you barely have time for lunch let alone answer e-mails? every time they respond to stuff on the forums, its time spent away from their actual job (it is not a requirement of them to respond here) and every response inevitably starts an argument they would be expected to continue in. they always go quiet before a major season release because they are busy and this one doubly so. nothing new here either.

and why should they respond to a 7 page thread about account reputation just because people are talking about it? its a per character level advancement system. that is not almost certainly not going to change ever. all they are likely to do is pop into the thread and tell you nothing is changing. then people could complain about how they dont care.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And it's not all going to get fixed today or tomorrow or next week.

it's a game. Have fun. Or do something else.
    edited June 2013
    'I quit thread' gets closed and has been for years as its part of the forums rules. that is not a new development. people are encouraged to comment on what changes they would like whenever they feel like it. the devs dont have to ask people what they would like to see changed. people are quite capable of doing that on their own.

they are have been very busy. The devs have also just released the biggest update ever, to the point where they had to come in at weekends and even work late just to get it out the door, and now have had to bug fix several large problems.

have you ever worked in an office where you are so busy you barely have time for lunch let alone answer e-mails? every time they respond to stuff on the forums, its time spent away from their actual job (it is not a requirement of them to respond here) and every response inevitably starts an argument they would be expected to continue in. they always go quiet before a major season release because they are busy and this one doubly so. nothing new here either.

and why should they respond to a 7 page thread about account reputation just because people are talking about it? its a per character level advancement system. that is not almost certainly not going to change ever. all they are likely to do is pop into the thread and tell you nothing is changing. then people could complain about how they dont care.

If there is a 7 page+ thread on the reputation system and people are annoyed by it, yeah dude I think it should be changed. People don't have time to grind and grind and grind over and over again. It becomes boring. People have jobs, people have normal lives. Note everyone (not saying you) have the time to be on this game 24/7.

Grinding for nukara marks is just a joke too. 20-25 at a time really? Doing the same STF's over and over and over again is also boring. Branch out to have more missions to make more marks.. I can't even fathom how you don't see there are issues with this game, many issues.

LoR is just a gloss over, and created even more issues.
    And it's not all going to get fixed today or tomorrow or next week.

it's a game. Have fun. Or do something else.

Dude there have been issues with this game that are over 3 years old since closed beta. I have been waiting long enough.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "I quit" threads get closed for a lot of reasons. I note most of the ones I see. The last five I caught before the close on this forum had several things in common:

A. All of them were quitting for childish reasons
    B. All of them used profanity, four of the five used creative spellings or broken words to bypass the filter
    C. All of them made verifiably false statements (which I may add so have you)
    D. All five of them are still posting about in-game happenings and issues days and weeks after their tantrums.

Blizzard once upon a time posted statistics on I quit threads. Half didn't quit. Of those who did, half were back within three months, three fourths within six. That was a total of seven out of eight returning, which is significantly higher than the average of all cancelled accounts (slightly over half).

They are what they are: childish rants who believe by threatening to quit and drawing attention on themselves they are somehow making their concerns more urgent.
    edited June 2013
    If there is a 7 page+ thread on the reputation system and people are annoyed by it, yeah dude I think it should be changed. People don't have time to grind and grind and grind over and over again. It becomes boring. People have jobs, people have normal lives. Note everyone (not saying you) have the time to be on this game 24/7.

Grinding for nukara marks is just a joke too. 20-25 at a time really? Doing the same STF's over and over and over again is also boring. Branch out to have more missions to make more marks.. I can't even fathom how you don't see there are issues with this game, many issues.

So what? 7 pages. there are hundreds of thousands of people who play the game. just because a thread pops up with a few annoyed people does not mean something should automatically be changed because you are only getting a tiny amount of feedback, and im sure not everyone in that 7 pages agrees with you. if people are using the rep system on multiple characters then its working and they will have the data to support that. if its putting people off then they will know that too.

the reputation system is a alternate level system. it is not designed to be account wide. it unlocks powers and items per character. its like saying leveling should be account wide just because some people dont like alting. if you dont want to make an alt then dont, if you dont want to use the rep system on more than one character then dont but the whole point of it is to advance your individual characters down what ever individual path you want, in what order. not do it once and you're done.

if you dont like it, or a bunch of others dont like it then fine. but its personal opinion. a lot of people whined and cried about lockboxes. some still do. they are not going anywhere either just because a lot of threads sprung up.

no one inherently likes grind and given the choice most would vote to do away with grind all together. that would be a disaster for endgame. people dont always know what they want and no matter how much people complain about grind, they still do it. Every MMO is the same in one way or another.

i will agree that the naura marks need to be bumped up or new events with bigger rewards and while i do see the issues i dont agree with you on all of them. just because you think something does not make it right.
    edited June 2013
    hevach wrote: »
    Blizzard once upon a time posted statistics on I quit threads. Of those who did, half were back within three months, three fourths within six. That was a total of seven out of eight returning, which is significantly higher than the average of all cancelled accounts (slightly over half).

EA had some similar stats for F2P games, which indicated that those posters spend significantly more than average in the cash shop AFTER their "I quit" posts, too.

Industry contacts tell me that's true in their shops, as well.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • m4tth3wk4n3m4tth3wk4n3 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with nafeasonto1.

Ever since PWE has taken control of Cryptic Studio's, this game has slowly been going downhill. And I am not talking about bugs...

Lockboxes, lobi crystals, 4 different reputation systems, marks rewards that are barely worth it, fleet weapons costing amounts of dilithium... It has become not a case of revenue but a money-grab. And please dont say the game is free to play... This has nothing do with this anymore.

It just doenst feel right...

Its no longer a matter of offering us a choice of doing stf's or doing content... Its being shoved down our throats.

Like the introduction of the Nukara rep -> I can still clearly see that annyoing mission auto hail window pop up before my eyes (mentally...). Even when I thought I had mission auto hail turned OFF I still had that window pop up each and every time I went into Eti Eridani Sector Block...

Out of pure misery I went to Nukara Prime without an ev suit just to get that window out of my screen...

This is certainly not respectfull towards the loyal playerbase...

Oh and another thing; the people at Cryptic studio's working in the weekends and on holiday's... They are not the only ones. There are alot more people working in the weekends like network engineers, cloudsystem managers, ERP, stores, etc etc etc... Its their JOB! I dont feel sorry for them, because they CHOSE to do this work.

I have also worked in the weekend for 2 years, I kinda know what it is. Did someboy feel sorry for me? No... Why? Because it was my JOB.

Changes are needed.
    edited June 2013
    People who are saying give them some slack they work on the weekends:

I also worked on the weekends. I have done many jobs. I have worked overnight. I have worked crappy jobs, yeah I know their pain, but that doesn't matter at all, they want to run this game like a business they need to treat their customers right.

Network Engineers are on call 24/7 that is THEIR life. That is THEIR job. They get paid a lot of money for that.

I am not talking about network engineers doing maintenance on the server I am talking about the constant feedback people are giving on this game, and the DEV's do nothing about don't respond to it.

There is a big difference.
  • sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    EA had some similar stats for F2P games, which indicated that those posters spend significantly more than average in the cash shop AFTER their "I quit" posts, too.

Industry contacts tell me that's true in their shops, as well.

Wasn't the one who sent death threats to the dev the one who subsequently spent upwards of 200$ the next month? That was a very interesting article. Wish I could still find that article, but my goto link went away with CoH :(.

However, I think more relevant to this discourse is just how high churn is in a MMO [and I imagine more so for a F2P].
    edited June 2013
    Lockboxes, lobi crystals, 4 different reputation systems, marks rewards that are barely worth it, fleet weapons costing amounts of dilithium... It has become not a case of revenue but a money-grab. And please dont say the game is free to play... This has nothing do with this anymore.

but the game is free to play and it has everything to do with it. you cant just dismiss that rather incredibly large fact because it does not suit your argument.

you never have to pay a single bit of money ever if you dont want to. nothing is forced on. no fleet weapon is needed. no lock box has to be open, no reputation system is required. you are getting a large game that is constantly growing for free if you want and you can earn almost everything from just playing the game. or you can throw shed loads of money at it, if you want.

it is always your choice.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Let me explain to the OP how these things always go;
    "Devs! Devs! U Y no chat with me?!"

"Okay, here I am, James T. Dev. What's up?"

"I hate you! Die in a fire!"

And if you claim it's not like this, you're the guy in red.
    <3
    edited June 2013
    People who are saying give them some slack they work on the weekends:

I also worked on the weekends. I have done many jobs. I have worked overnight. I have worked crappy jobs, yeah I know their pain, but that doesn't matter at all, they want to run this game like a business they need to treat their customers right.

Network Engineers are on call 24/7 that is THEIR life. That is THEIR job. They get paid a lot of money for that.

I am not talking about network engineers doing maintenance on the server I am talking about the constant feedback people are giving on this game, and the DEV's do nothing about don't respond to it.

There is a big difference.

you are missing the point. no one is crying over them being busy or working late. its their job, they get paid.

the issue is you are asking why they are not posting and showing they apparently care. they do not have to post. it is not their job requirement to come onto the forums and respond if they either dont want to or are too busy. their job is to make the game. they are making it. the reason they are doing weekends and late shifts is because they are very busy.
    edited June 2013
    but the game is free to play and it has everything to do with it. you cant just dismiss that rather incredibly large fact because it does not suit your argument.

you never have to pay a single bit of money ever if you dont want to. nothing is forced on. no fleet weapon is needed. no lock box has to be open, no reputation system is required. you are getting a large game that is constantly growing for free if you want and you can earn almost everything from just playing the game. or you can throw shed loads of money at it, if you want.

it is always your choice.

Dude:

To earn a full Omega set, Tier V is 34K dil each. That is 102K dil.

Now to earn that without paying a dime that will take: 13 days to save up.

Not to mention the month, if you work at it everyday for 30 days to get make Tier rep.

Now that's just ONE set on ONE character. Not to mention the griding it would take.

Oh yeah not forgetting wanting to buy fleet stuff too. Saving up even more. It would most likely take you probably over 6 months to fairly save up.

That's boring and insane.

Not to mention spending DIL to unlock star base Tiers, and MANY MANY other things tat cost DIL.

Oh you want a fleet ship? Now you have to save up more DIL, oh and then grind your butt off to either buy Fleet modules, not just one. BUt 4 - 5. OR of course spend 500 Zen store EACH to get ONE.

Yes you WILL eventually have to pay for something.
    edited June 2013
    sudoku7 wrote: »
    Wasn't the one who sent death threats to the dev the one who subsequently spent upwards of 200$ the next month? That was a very interesting article. Wish I could still find that article, but my goto link went away with CoH :(

I don't remember this one, but I do remember the guy who picketed a Blizzard office because they mishandled their games, harassed people coming and going from it, and then sued when they finally had him arrested after he assaulted an employee. His case was somewhat undermined by the fact that while his case was pending, he bought the collector's editions of Wings of Liberty and Cataclysm, preordered the collector's edition of Diablo III, and spent over $100 on a server transfer, character recustomization, and bought a mount card on eBay.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To earn a full Omega set,

Yeah, that optional vanity item sure takes a while to get.
    <3
    edited June 2013

every single person, who has never paid a dime into this game, of whom there are thousands, disagrees with you.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Let me explain to the OP how these things always go;

And if you claim it's not like this, you're the guy in red.

Yep. I remember back before the forum "upgrade" Branflakes used to post in many threads a message along the lines of

"Added to my list of feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon."

People then began accusing him of copy/pasting to pacify people and that he wasn't actually responding to anything. So there he is trying to be a good CM and show that he was reading the feedback and people threw it right back in his face. So classy.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • xalexkxxalexkx Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there are lot of bugs that need to be fixed.
    But , before releasing new content, fix the old one.
    Take defera bugs for example, they are there for a lot of time. THey are very annoying, expecially city . No one looks into them. Oh right, rommie ships from c-store bring money, people doing missions dont bring money.
    Instead of making a new content, maybe look in the old one.
    To boldly go where no FAWer has ever FAWed before.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Consider this; they may no longer respond to our every little desire and complaint because they take entirely too much flak from the player fanbase when they do as thier responses are quickly taken out of context and often twisted into false-truths that are far removed from thier intentions.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
    edited June 2013
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Consider this; they may no longer respond to our every little desire and complaint because they take entirely too much flak from the player fanbase when they do as thier responses are quickly taken out of context and often twisted into false-truths that are far removed from thier intentions.

OKay... doesn't that tell you there is a problem then?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ironic thread, devs have got a patch now out since lor launch (admittedly a bit slow, but still better then never) and now a member of cryptic/pwe staff has come out to personally state the case that they clearly care enough to listen to a point. fair enough, i think anyone will only listen to someone elses prattle for so long, granted.

i would suggest to the op that he looks back on the thousands of threads and such until before PWE took over and then ask if the devs are not paying any attention. my point is, that since pwe came in they have tried to do better and this is coming from a skeptic of the new system!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • xalexkxxalexkx Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Star Trek Online is one of the most generous F2P MMOs available. It is still a relatively young game and the company has had a lot of difficulties in it's 3 and a bit years. They have just released a major expansion to the game, for free, and are very busy sorting out the bugs that remain whilst also creating further content, for free, to enjoy in the future.

Many people want many things, however all this free stuff has to be paid for somehow or the servers will shut down for good. Of course there are bugs, of course there are connection issues, but not all of the bugs affect all of the people all of the time, if they do then they are jumped on immediately. In time the bugs will be ironed out and the next release will no doubt have further bugs and a myriad of user requests pertaining to it.

The game is free to play, it is a wonderful game with a lot of content that is continually in development, it has the most amazing IP and it is the only new Star Trek regularly available. You choose to play it how you wish but just because your request isn't answered is no reason to quit or throw a tantrum. There are over 100 pages on the Galaxy (Failaxy) thread and still not a single response from the devs, that's the way it is, you can like it or lump it, there are more important issues for the devs to be working on.

LoR is far more than polish, it is a whole new faction with 30 new missions including cut scenes and voice over work, the quality of the missions is the best the team have ever produced and highlights the more amateurish earlier missions which will no doubt be remastered one day. All those missions had new artwork, sound effects, music, voice overs, icons, UI etc etc, so it is inevitable that there were to be problems.

Give it time and all the problems will be resolved, enjoy the game, don't whine, offer constructive feedback, discuss with forum members, the Devs will respond if they think it's appropriate or useful. Don't forget us posters here are a tiny minority of the game population and we certainly don't speak for everyone.

STO is in good hands, the future looks bright and they are doing a marvellous job in my opinion.
    Agree with you, but. They want to fix bugs. ok, but not bring down the server every 2 days.
    Cant they make maintance like once 1 month or 2 times.
    Not maintance daily with no release notes
    To boldly go where no FAWer has ever FAWed before.
    edited June 2013
    ironic thread, devs have got a patch now out since lor launch (admittedly a bit slow, but still better then never) and now a member of cryptic/pwe staff has come out to personally state the case that they clearly care enough to listen to a point.

Not employed by Cryptic or PWE. At all. They don't even get to give me assignments, or they'd have to pay me.
    edited June 2013
    Dude:

Stuff

Other stuff

More stuff

Same stuff just repeated with different words

More stuff

You... you just listed all the things you don't have to spend money on them, explained exactly how you can avoid having to spend money on them...

And then said you have to spend money on them.

The sound you're hearing is me doing a terrible impression of the robot from Lost in Space flailing his dryer tube arms and saying, "ERROR! ERROR WILL ROBINSON! DOES NOT COMPUTE!"