nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Um. . . wut?

Post #71

Post #53
    Post #61
    Post #64

There have been nearly 100 posts between my first, and this one. . . ?

Yes I am thanking you for responding to the thread.

???

Something wrong with that?
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i think some beg for attention, kinda obvious they
    care given size of the content every month sometimes twice a month.
    and on top of that they have to put up with so
    many kids like being at a day care center.

dont mean to be rude, just the impression i get.

so if the devs are absent from the forums for long periods of time, you have to
    wonder what there working on.
  • Options
    zachverantzachverant Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    HEY!!!...they do listen...the Mailbox got fixed...pffffft the dev's don't listen, silly angry OPer.

First the Mailbox, next...Risa Beach Wear...THEN...a PvP system that everybody agree's too...

Isn't Star Trek life wonderful...everything you want and the "easy" button too...:P

Coffee...black...and keep it coming...;)
    "Sips her PWE Koolaide and looks at alllll the goodies in the Z store"
    Badname Betty (PvP...PvE...STF...Trophy Hunter...Latnium Collector...Federation)
    Commander Morgana (PvP...PvE...STF...KDF)
    1000 day vet and LTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] STO Join date: 7 Feb 2010
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Simply said, they care, it's their job anyways, they don't ansver because they are busy trying to fix the bugs, they know that the engine is hard to use, and it makes their job harder. They just gotta do it, slowly, and try not to break things, and we gotta wait, but still they keep releasing new content which is more bugs, and I don't understand that.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the devs are rather well present on this forum. I prefer them to be working on the game, make content and fix bugs... I do appreciate when they come and post but I don' necessarily expect it...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OKay... doesn't that tell you there is a problem then?

It tells me that the problem...

Isn't with the Dev's.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Captains,

I just got done reading the last few pages...

First, the why's, wherefores, and motivations of the Volunteer Moderation team are very much off-topic here. This discussion should really be about STO.

While it would be very nice to get perks for doing this -- fame, fortune, freebies -- that would pretty much blow any objectivity I might claim out of the water. So let's not argue about it, kay?

Second, thanks Dev Team for being willing now and then to dip a toe in the shark-infested waters we call the forums. Taco, always a pleasure to read your posts.

Third, I've never really had to use CS so I don't have a good or bad impression. I think there are some legitimate complaints that PWE ought to be mindful of, and that improvements are necessary. If putting in a support ticket online via the website is still as messed up as it was the last time I tried it, it definitely needs to be worked on ASAP.

The in-game bug report tool could use some love, too. I don't bother to try to search for issues, for one thing. And there are certain situations where you can't actually call it up on the spot (like during cutscenes, during character selection/creation, or in the Foundry) -- Is there a hotkey that will freeze the game and bring up the bug report UI when the normal HUD isn't available? (the answer would be "no")

Fact is, though, I flat out ignore lots of glitches I see in-game. I probably shouldn't, but y'know, I spend enough time doing STO-related activities that don't involve actually playing the game. Writing stuff down so I can post about them later... nah. I'll leave that to other folks who are better and more passionate at bug-hunting than I am.

I'm not blind to Cryptic's flaws. I just choose to ignore some of them some of the time.

Finally, there is a big difference between having a debate and having an argument. Some of you are arguing with the impression that you're debating. When you lose the ability to objectively process the other person's viewpoint and you need to provoke a negative reaction to convey your deep emotional attachment to your point of view, you are no longer debating. Please stop arguing.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    polie05polie05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes but at CCP the devs actually listen AND fix bugs, not just ignore them for 3 years. Fix the game including PvP and I might reinstall STO and sub back.
  • Options
    nafeasonto1nafeasonto1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Captains,

I just got done reading the last few pages...

First, the why's, wherefores, and motivations of the Volunteer Moderation team are very much off-topic here. This discussion should really be about STO.

While it would be very nice to get perks for doing this -- fame, fortune, freebies -- that would pretty much blow any objectivity I might claim out of the water. So let's not argue about it, kay?

Second, thanks Dev Team for being willing now and then to dip a toe in the shark-infested waters we call the forums. Taco, always a pleasure to read your posts.

Third, I've never really had to use CS so I don't have a good or bad impression. I think there are some legitimate complaints that PWE ought to be mindful of, and that improvements are necessary. If putting in a support ticket online via the website is still as messed up as it was the last time I tried it, it definitely needs to be worked on ASAP.

The in-game bug report tool could use some love, too. I don't bother to try to search for issues, for one thing. And there are certain situations where you can't actually call it up on the spot (like during cutscenes, during character selection/creation, or in the Foundry) -- Is there a hotkey that will freeze the game and bring up the bug report UI when the normal HUD isn't available? (the answer would be "no")

Fact is, though, I flat out ignore lots of glitches I see in-game. I probably shouldn't, but y'know, I spend enough time doing STO-related activities that don't involve actually playing the game. Writing stuff down so I can post about them later... nah. I'll leave that to other folks who are better and more passionate at bug-hunting than I am.

I'm not blind to Cryptic's flaws. I just choose to ignore some of them some of the time.

Finally, there is a big difference between having a debate and having an argument. Some of you are arguing with the impression that you're debating. When you lose the ability to objectively process the other person's viewpoint and you need to provoke a negative reaction to convey your deep emotional attachment to your point of view, you are no longer debating. Please stop arguing.

Ignoring the issues doesnt' help the issues go away. Neither does ignoring the players. When a lot of people suggest the same things over and over again. It usually means they want a change. but when a developer community doesn't make that change it's for one reason and one reason only: MOney.

They know if they make the REP account wide they lose money, because it would drop the price of DIL. Same if they made DIL not have a daily limit. They would lose money.

You need DIL for EVERYTHING.

Everything is done in this game to make max profit. That is the hard cold truth. If you can't see that you are completely blinded.

But most likely I will get a response being a smart response, and nothing to contribute to the conversation.

I am glad Taco responded, but I hope in that response, changes that the players WANT not want the DEV's think is good will happen in the game.

Yes people will never be satisfied completely, but when a huge majority agree that something needs to be changed. Like the REP thread that is like 9 pages long, yeah it should be changed.

BUt as the current track record of this game it will NOT happen.

The old adage goes I believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everything is done in this game to make max profit.
    Of course it is. This is, after all, a business. Were you under the impression Cryptic was just somebody's hobby?

However, I dispute your claim that "[y]ou need DIL for EVERYTHING."

I have three characters on my main account, and three more on my emergency backup account; all of them have ships, equipment, gear, and EC. Not one of them has spent Dilithium on any of that; I use my Dil to help my fleet build our starbase.

I dunno, maybe there's some epeen-inflation gear that you feel you simply must have, but that's on you, not on Cryptic - it's not necessary to play the game.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sterlingwarbirdsterlingwarbird Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Of course it is. This is, after all, a business. Were you under the impression Cryptic was just somebody's hobby?

However, I dispute your claim that "[y]ou need DIL for EVERYTHING."

I have three characters on my main account, and three more on my emergency backup account; all of them have ships, equipment, gear, and EC. Not one of them has spent Dilithium on any of that; I use my Dil to help my fleet build our starbase.

I dunno, maybe there's some epeen-inflation gear that you feel you simply must have, but that's on you, not on Cryptic - it's not necessary to play the game.

Well this because people like you who go "Oh, its just a buisness" and feel that Cryptic should do this CONSTANTLY are PAYING for it and therefor justifying it. Everything decent in the game SHOULD NOT cost dilithium and biggest bull**** was Fleet Modules which you require 4 of, unless you have forked out for the C-Store Retrofit.

Fleet ships should have been widely available to counter the growing number of lockbox junkies and ships. Hell, the lockbox system itself is a testament to Cryptic's greed and financial corruption. This is a monster that EVERY player who has ever forked out money to Cryptic should take responsibility for creating.

It is our job to put Cryptic back in its place. Smack the animal on its nose and telling it to stop producing unfinished, buggy, incompetent rubbish of lesser quality. This game will never change from its current path UNLESS WE, the PLAYERS make it change for the better.

How do we do that, you ask?

We middle finger Cryptic and say... NO more money for you until you improve the game. That includes...

- Full re-balance of all ships and console abilities
    - Fleet stuff should only cost FLEET CREDIT
    - Fixing bugs that are STILL in the game, I'm sure you can list a few.
    - Quality customer service and regular COMMUNICATION from Dev's so that players can air issues that they find important.

EvE managed to be brought to a halt and improved, so why can't STO? If it doesn't happen, we all know that this game is going to end up like Star Wars: Galaxies.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ignoring the issues doesnt' help the issues go away. Neither does ignoring the players. When a lot of people suggest the same things over and over again. It usually means they want a change. but when a developer community doesn't make that change it's for one reason and one reason only: MOney.

Just because a lot of people say they want something doesn't mean that giving it to them would be good for game. I mean, obviously, everybody would always like to have more gain for less effort, but equally obviously, a button you press in the tutorial to instantly hit the level cap with all slots full of best-in-slot items and a maxxed out fleet starbase wouldn't benefit the game.
    Everything is done in this game to make max profit. That is the hard cold truth. If you can't see that you are completely blinded.

When's the last time you asked your boss to cut your pay?

Money is a token that represents human effort. Unless and until something is invented that turns sunshine into food and shelter, it's not reasonable to ask people to work 50-60 hour weeks making a video game and then give it to you for free, nor is it reasonable to ask them to take a loss of profit to give you more things for free. That only makes sense if they have evidence to suggest that doing so would increase profits in some other area, and forum anecdotes aren't evidence.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,403 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sterling, your brush is a tad broad there. I can't say I'm particularly proud of this fact (neither do I find it shameful - it simply is), but I have yet to drop a single penny into Cryptic's coffers for STO. (I have spent a few bucks on CO, but that's another story.) Yes, that's right, I'm a filthy freeloader.

I also question your knowledge of economics. If STO were to suddenly stop making any money at all, the result would not be Cryptic concentrating on it until it became profitable again - rather, it would likely be CBS pulling the license, and Cryptic concentrating more on Neverwinter. This isn't the only file in their portfolio, you know.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Sterling, your brush is a tad broad there. I can't say I'm particularly proud of this fact (neither do I find it shameful - it simply is), but I have yet to drop a single penny into Cryptic's coffers for STO. (I have spent a few bucks on CO, but that's another story.) Yes, that's right, I'm a filthy freeloader.

I also question your knowledge of economics. If STO were to suddenly stop making any money at all, the result would not be Cryptic concentrating on it until it became profitable again - rather, it would likely be CBS pulling the license, and Cryptic concentrating more on Neverwinter. This isn't the only file in their portfolio, you know.

Look at Champions Online. When it didn't do well, they decreased the development staff on it.

When City of Heroes disappeared and a bunch of new customers came in, they hired most of Flying Lab Software to become Cryptic North and multiplied the dev staff by what, 3 or 4 times what it was rumored to be before? Look at the timeline on that; it happened a month after CoH closed down.

Development gets focused where it will bring a return on investment.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    omegashinzonomegashinzon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Happy customers bring a return on investment. Anything else you say is moot as the return is short gained.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Look at Champions Online. When it didn't do well, they decreased the development staff on it.

When City of Heroes disappeared and a bunch of new customers came in, they hired most of Flying Lab Software to become Cryptic North and multiplied the dev staff by what, 3 or 4 times what it was rumored to be before? Look at the timeline on that; it happened a month after CoH closed down.

They didn't decrease development staff, they flat out abandoned it for STO. Now they are going to do the same when they move onto Neverwinter. I think STO is slowly becoming a meer shadow of what it could be because they've decided to move onto another project after 2 years of STO being top dog.

This is really evidenced by Champions Online and since this is a "small" company, why do they not just concentrate on ONE MMO, is there really a need to have three? Both Blizzard and CCP are kings with just ONE MMO.

I have one answer... pure greed. STO could be sooooo much better if they actually bothered to put all their resources in to creating stuff and fixing bugs and creating a pleasant customer service experience.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »

Ah... now I see where all our money went... Office Equipment, a Coffee Machine and a bunch of computers...

Thanks for that :D
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just because a lot of people say they want something doesn't mean that giving it to them would be good for game. I mean, obviously, everybody would always like to have more gain for less effort, but equally obviously, a button you press in the tutorial to instantly hit the level cap with all slots full of best-in-slot items and a maxxed out fleet starbase wouldn't benefit the game.

When's the last time you asked your boss to cut your pay?

Money is a token that represents human effort. Unless and until something is invented that turns sunshine into food and shelter, it's not reasonable to ask people to work 50-60 hour weeks making a video game and then give it to you for free, nor is it reasonable to ask them to take a loss of profit to give you more things for free. That only makes sense if they have evidence to suggest that doing so would increase profits in some other area, and forum anecdotes aren't evidence.

The game Cryptic wants to make isn't necessarily the game people want to play....I think the main issue is that Cryptic doesn't even want to acknowledge the feedback it gets from the people that actually play,and hopefully pay for,the game.STO used to be a game where player feedback was valued and influenced the game,now it's just another project that needs to be shoehorned into the mold of the parent company,and slowly turning this once unique game into a 'dime-a-dozen' PWE clone.The colorful,cartoony UI is one of those shining examples,it fits perfectly in other PWE games,here it just sticks out like a sore thumb....and it's ugly to boot.People complained about it on Tribble,gave feedback that the devs could use to improve this monstrosity,and it got totally ignored because 'Cryptic knows best'.

And talking about profit...if people feel good about something,they will spend more on it!
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    lukem2409lukem2409 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Say what u will, this game does not feel much like Star Trek, more like a warped version of it. When I play TOR on the other hand I actually feel like I'm immersed in the SW universe.

And the bugs and constant down time have been a pain, but since I'm a lifer I just log in, reset my rep projects and leave as I've re subbed to TOR.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
  • Options
    bluegrassgeekbluegrassgeek Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This entire thread just reminds me that we really, really need an Ignore feature on the forums. :cool:
    ____
    Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
  • Options
    lisslelissle Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This entire thread just reminds me that we really, really need an Ignore feature on the forums. :cool:

Hate to disagree but you are so wrong, Star Trek feels like trek while ToR does not have any star wars feel at all. In fact, I played for 3 months then quit, and have not been back the game has no SW feel at all, in fact other than interactions with other players feels more like a linear 1 person game Set in the Old Republic which to me is not Star Wars, as Star Wars is a different era and setting.
  • Options
    smoovioussmoovious Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I mean look at the reputation feedback thread, there is a 7 page thread on how you should make the Reputation account wide, NO response. Nothing. Show us you actually still care.
    I'm with you on account wide reputation tracking; I think it would be more profitable for Cryptic than the current reputation system. But 7 pages is only slightly more than zero discussion. Just look at the 100+ page thread on Cryptic replacing Romulans with Bajorans.
    They know if they make the REP account wide they lose money, because it would drop the price of DIL.
    How?

I've avoided spending something like $100 over the past few months because I see no reason to buy stuff for characters that aren't my main, ie characters I'm not doing the rep grind on. I actually do play on these alts, but I won't spend cash on them. I doubt I'm in the minority.

Personally, I think it would increase the price of dil, as players use the dil to buy stuff for characters they otherwise wouldn't have invested in.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    smoovious wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost

One hand: I agree with your assessment.
    Other hand: The PAYING players also want more attention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting. ~thlaylierah
    So realistically, you only need to have the exact number of doffs that you need. ~leadme2kirk
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    .This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost.

An ingore function would be useful.
    <3
  • Options
    noooooooooo14noooooooooo14 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The fixes in todays patch were important enough to be necessary. (i.e. game breaking, or nearly)

This is a little late, and shouldn't go here, but I had expirienced (probably misspelled that) Star Trek Online not launching properly after LoR, and after a patch, this was corrected.
  • Options
    devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited June 2013
    There's quite a bit of discussion here. My experience is that the rep grind certainly takes time even on my main with only one rep system to work on. The expansion has added to my interest in leveling a romulan character, as a part of that I'm working on 3 rep systems.

I think if you're working on one rep system grinding marks from pve queues or a ground map can seem repetitive (it could be worse though). With my new character working on 3 different rep systems does add a lot more variety to the marks grind. If you just play a couple of hours a night you're going to be busy for a couple of months.

Making the gear seems like a long journey so I just run the 2k xp project and use the other slot for building. So whatever excess marks go into the build project. I believe it adds about 15 days to getting tier 5 only doing the 2k job but that's not a big deal in the long run, and if you finish building the gear you want you can add the 800 xp job back in. I find the grind is less noticable this way until I just try to get marks for making gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013

OFC they care....

When you do something wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. I think this game has become somewhat of a cash cow (for the developer and publisher). Therefore the dev's are not given as much time to connect with the community. Instead they are being pressured/rush to milk the cash cow.

2. I agree that if thousands of people are spending real world money on a game it would be in your best interest to carter to those people. In a way it's like we're the share holders.

3. I personally think that if the dev's are swamped with "so much work" they should find ways to incorporate the community into helping them. Or at least create more sandbox type content for the ships not just for our characters clothing.

4. A forum for any game is almost as important as the source code of the game. How else would the dev's know what "we the people" are thinking? Using profits alone (or zen) is a horrible way to determine anything. If a thread is picking up steam (good or bad) send some dev's over to not only moderate it, but gather actual feedback. Not just post some copy&paste message.

But like I said in #1, the cash cow has to be milked. Maybe that's why they are not given the time to be more "personal" about STO.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.