What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where'd all the RP go?

Comments

• devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited June 2013
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Wait for it ... .

When you actively engage in the disruption of another persons immersion or RP purely out of :

a) spite
    b) pleasure
    c) some kind of twisted "mandate"
    d) boredom

... then you and your friends count as "crazy" or "mental" .
    Kind of rhymes with Dental . :eek:

I just did that up above ... and FYI , the 'victim' routine is getting old .
    Your Fleet plays the passive & aggressive game in STO ... and it may work there , but you're not ingame here .
    Here ppl see you for what you are ... -- and its not the "saviors of Drozana" as you present yourself's as being . :cool:

Just look at that. Nice work victim blaming. Just because a group of fake roleplayers get together to try to smear our good name does not justify you being rude and making false accusations.

Clearly I am now the victim of your disturbing attacks in addition to your naming and shaming. I feel sorry for you and I hope you are one day able break the cycle of abuse which rules your life.
    tc10b wrote: »
    I thank you for your kind offer of retribution devian666, however the person(s) in question were not of your fleet, to my knowledge and have been dealt with by a higher authority. No further action is required.

That is good to hear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vizh20vizh20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The Elephant in the room here is the unexamined fact, as I have stated numerous times, that the accusations are so incredibly vague. "Griefing" "Ruining Immersion", "Harrassment". The reason that such broad strokes are being used is because the few times that the apparent "crimes" of the fleet in question are described, they are ridiculed as laughable. Dancing? Jumping on the furniture? That's what we are being accused of. Even the single eyewitness report of "flaming" in DS9 last night was even stated by the detractor to have occurred after the roleplayer verbally assaulted the fleet members FIRST.

So I say to you, we are guilty! We are guilty of jumping on the furniture! We are guilty of dancing! Of laughing! Of LIVING! We will never apologize for taking joy in our lives. We will never apologize for playing the game as we want to. We do not interfere with other players, if they find our gameplay "disruptive", that's their issue and their problem. Plenty of other players (even those who dislike our unique gameplay) simply go about their business and continue their own roleplay, and that's perfectly fine. There's room for all of us.

There is no room, however, for the creeping black tide of fascism. That's what this truly is about. This is about a group of highly unstable individuals who want to change the window of "acceptable behavior" to serve their own utter lack of backbone. They want to turn this game into a police state where jumping on the furniture is a bannable offense and we're all wearing the same uniform.

Read this thread and assess the arguments of those who are attacking us. Is this really who you want the GMs to be listening to?

First, they came for the Dentals...
  • thetarqthetarq Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wow, this is some Alex Jones level stuff right here. These "RPers" are crisis actors staging false flag events in order to conduct jihad against dental.
    -= ROM PAUL =-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Starfleet Dental is the 1980's Frat Movie hero to the unhinged fascist's stuffy College Dean.

*tries to see how many players can fit in the Drozana light fixture*

DENTAL HOUUUUUUUUUUUSE! *shakes fist*
  • theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ...there was roleplaying in Drozana? The handful of times I went there before Dental took over, all I ever saw was Mew'Wi Soo the half-Caitian, half-Orion, transgendered and pansexual god-daughter of Kathryn Janeway and Ezri Dax, who's won three Vulcan Scientific Medals of Honor and performed the kolinahr ritual so perfectly for an offworlder that she made an attending master weep in unsuppressed joy. And she wanted hot cyb0rz with me!

It was so bad I had to make a "fat, old and ugly" alternate costume for my Orion to get through there with a minimum of harassment.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vizh20 wrote: »
    So I say to you, we are guilty! We are guilty of jumping on the furniture! We are guilty of dancing! Of laughing! Of LIVING! We will never apologize for taking joy in our lives. We will never apologize for playing the game as we want to. We do not interfere with other players, if they find our gameplay "disruptive", that's their issue and their problem. Plenty of other players (even those who dislike our unique gameplay) simply go about their business and continue their own roleplay, and that's perfectly fine. There's room for all of us.

There is no room, however, for the creeping black tide of fascism. That's what this truly is about. This is about a group of highly unstable individuals who want to change the window of "acceptable behavior" to serve their own utter lack of backbone. They want to turn this game into a police state where jumping on the furniture is a bannable offense and we're all wearing the same uniform.

I would like to point out that Cryptic's Chief Operating Officer is a guy who advocated instant death for jumping on furniture in Star Trek Online specifically.

Now, Cryptic also supplied fire extinguishers and the like and many employees want people to have fun. But I wouldn't assume they take kindly to an immersion-free (or wildly divergent) take on the Trek IP or the reality of the game setting.

And I'd suggest that it's not fascism if a private corporation maybe starts adopting a few rules about what you do on their property if it upsets other players. Especially since I'd wager there's more incentive for the serious and dour roleplayers to spend money than there is for the people trying to force them to be less serious to spend money.

If they did put some restrictions on you, I'm not sure it would be censorship any more than when they tell you you can't one shot every Borg cube. They set rules. The rules and boundaries are a part of the intended source of fun in a game. Anarchy is not part of the package being offered to you as a player or as a consumer.
    edited June 2013
    I would like to point out that Cryptic's Chief Operating Officer is a guy who advocated instant death for jumping on furniture in Star Trek Online specifically.

Now, Cryptic also supplied fire extinguishers and the like and many employees want people to have fun. But I wouldn't assume they take kindly to an immersion-free (or wildly divergent) take on the Trek IP or the reality of the game setting.

And I'd suggest that it's not fascism if a private corporation maybe starts adopting a few rules about what you do on their property if it upsets other players. Especially since I'd wager there's more incentive for the serious and dour roleplayers to spend money than there is for the people trying to force them to be less serious to spend money.

If they did put some restrictions on you, I'm not sure it would be censorship any more than when they tell you you can't one shot every Borg cube. They set rules. The rules and boundaries are a part of the intended source of fun in a game. Anarchy is not part of the package being offered to you as a player or as a consumer.

May we have a link to the quote? I'm doubting it can be provided as the standard response in asking for any proof of this hearsay has always been a deafening silence. Even if it were true that a single individual in the developer's organization felt that way, it's quite clear that such extreme, draconian measures have not been taken and will not be taken.

The fascism is not on the part of the developers, the fascism is on the part of a microscopic (but highly vocal) minority of players who view the hundreds of thousands of others playing this game as NPCs in their own private fanfics. The calls for standard uniforms, extreme restrictions on behaviour, and the "concentration" of players they dislike in the service of "immersion" is rather telling.

Although Cryptic would be within their rights to set the rules they wish, they have not set any rules that cave into the insane minority.

As for "immersion", "Immersion" is not a key goal in this game. It's rather clear. Cryptic does not care about their players being able to sink into a deep fantasy of really being in Star Trek. They do not care if you cannot bring your Mary Sue to its full realization. They care that *most* people entering the game (including, yes the F2P players) are enjoying themselves. Anything else is simple fanwank.
  • tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I'd be interested in an attribution or a source for this. I would also not be opposed to it.

How very odd that they chose not to include this in the Terms of Service, then. I would suggest that Starfleet Dental and its sister fleets Shutup Wesley and Nerds of Prey diverge less from canon than the vast majority of RP fleets; we do not seek to inject ourselves into canon, and do not claim to be related to <canon character>.

I think that the fascism argument was directed exclusively at one person who was strongly intimating that they should be the ultimate arbiter in what constitutes "Role play" versus "harassment". And who said that people he didn't like should wear identifiable clothing and be concentrated in zones where they cannot interact with anyone else. I'm sure you can work out why this raised the spectre of fascism without my needing to explain it further.

Cryptic have already put restrictions on everyone already: that's the Terms of Service. The suggestions here have been that either the ToS should be selectively enforced, or that there should be different ToS depending on which fleet/faction/race/uniform you're using. That suggestion should be deeply offensive to anyone, even if they aren't wearing the verboten uniform, joined the 'wrong' fleet or clicked the 'wrong' race/faction in the character select screen.
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
  • gamedudgamedud Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm pretty sure Dental is harcore into RP

Cyber sex is called sexting nowadays
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I find it highly amusing that a fleet which uses a terror uniform (like the shock troops in dune) and complete uniformity to force others out of areas.
    Calls me a fascist for suggesting that people should have to wear UNIFORMS when they are in the military

This same fleet believes in "freedom of speech" UNLESS you happen to be

TRIBBLE
    Female
    Non English speaking
    Under 21
    Or Celibate

and routinely asks people if they are TRIBBLE

The same fleet claims to protect "minors" but harrassed a 14 year old girl who asked DIRECTIONS

The same fleet says it opposes Errotic roleplay and chases decent people dressed as strippers and performs a suggestive (and inappropriate) dance

The same fleet denys it is itself fascist and goes on about American freedoms

Well get this you are less american than the people you are trying to force to quit
    Live long and Prosper
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the question in this thread has been... answered... ish. It's turned into a flamewar.
  • johnbloomfield1johnbloomfield1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    I find it highly amusing that a fleet which uses a terror uniform (like the shock troops in dune) and complete uniformity to force others out of areas.
    Calls me a fascist for suggesting that people should have to wear UNIFORMS when they are in the military

This same fleet believes in "freedom of speech" UNLESS you happen to be

TRIBBLE
    Female
    Non English speaking
    Under 21
    Or Celibate

and routinely asks people if they are TRIBBLE

The same fleet claims to protect "minors" but harrassed a 14 year old girl who asked DIRECTIONS

The same fleet says it opposes Errotic roleplay and chases decent people dressed as strippers and performs a suggestive (and inappropriate) dance

The same fleet denys it is itself fascist and goes on about American freedoms

Well get this you are less american than the people you are trying to force to quit

As a lifetimer/share holder/homosexual male, I find your fascism incredibly rude. Go away.
  • theftbottheftbot Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm TRIBBLE for Star Trek.
    edited June 2013
    As a lifetimer/share holder/homosexual male, I find your fascism incredibly rude. Go away.

And as a person who isn't going round abusing people in drozana I find your grasp of the word "fascist" poor

so you "go away"
    Live long and Prosper
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gamedud wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Dental is harcore into RP

And I'm pretty sure they are hardcore trolls .

Ok , sadly you sound like a fascist . :o
    Seriously tho , why do you continue to mash two separate points into one post time and time again ?

The Mentals and their ilk did not put dance emotes , non military clothing or fire extinguishers into the game .
    Cryptic did that .
    If you want to protest against that , make a new thread about those issues .

But don't confuse and obfuscate clothing and dancing with the actual deliberate and vicious trolling that became the routine @ Drozana once you-know-who showed up .

There are plenty of posts that talk about real trolling ... , and for the "proof" maniacs in this thread , here are just a few :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7576631&postcount=6

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4657321&postcount=4

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=7695761&postcount=63
    (FYI the last one contains more Mental name & shaming)
    edited June 2013
    Those aren't "proof", those are just accusations.

I also note that nothing in those accusations is actually trolling or griefing. It's just "wahh, people are acting weird around me and its breaking my immersion". Simply more mewling from the minority of oversensitive RPers
    edited June 2013
    sometimes all the proof you need is someone denying it

for example if a politician denied being looking for promotion he is lying

I do not seek to ban ev suits from the game merely from social areas
    The same going for bathing suits outside of beach resorts
    and formal wear on the battle bridge

and none of you know what Fascist actually means it seems

Im in favour of law , order and the will of the majority (this is called democracy and is what you get when you are a civilised nation)

Free speech comes with the right of the listeners to throw things
    Live long and Prosper
  • tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sometimes all the proof you need is someone denying it

for example if a politician denied being looking for promotion he is lying

I do not seek to ban ev suits from the game merely from social areas
    The same going for bathing suits outside of beach resorts
    and formal wear on the battle bridge

and none of you know what Fascist actually means it seems

Im in favour of law , order and the will of the majority (this is called democracy and is what you get when you are a civilised nation)

Free speech comes with the right of the listeners to throw things

Is it any wonder why this thread got derailed when you've committed trolls like this working tirelessly to derail it?

Also, my last word on this particular derail: free speech does not come with any such right:.

You might be may be interested in the reasonably common truism 'There is a human right to freedom of speech and freedom of expression. There is no right to not be offended' (not an exact quote).

Edit: VVV Funny that Google can't actually find any of the quotes you've got there. Mind giving me references? VVV
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
    edited June 2013
    "Freedom comes from the spears and shields of the citizen soldier and they ALONE determine who should have it"

Ipicles

"The right to speak freely comes with the duty not to speak without thinking"

Sam Tyler

"any man who demands the right to insult you without consequence is a damn coward or a damn fool "

Bowie (the original one)

Freedom of speech exists because a soldier gave it to you
    and remains only as long as you accept peoples absolute right to throw things at you when you use it and to tell you "you are wrong"

its time you guys realised you hide behind false law and false words because you are frankly a little immature.

you believe in democracy?
    call a vote of the player base
    on this question

"Is our fleet offensive"
    Yes/NO
    Live long and Prosper
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I hope they don't remove things like snowballs, possibility shards, ice skates and the like. It helps spice up the game a lot. Most people it seems rather spend hours at a time sitting on the exchange looking for a bargain. If everybody was forced to fly the same ships, wear the same uniforms, act within certain restrictions.

Boooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrring!

What attracted me to this game was the openness, wear what you want do what you like.

Maybe there should be roleplay areas with actual moderators looking after it so people want to roleplay you can freely do so.

Look at Vulcan, Andoria with huge orbital space and ground arenas yet no one ever goes there. Perhaps they could be re done as part of a Roleplay only section.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
    edited June 2013
    I do have another idea

Fleet instancing

so when members of a Fleet go to Drozana they CHOOSE to beam to a Fleet instance or an open instance

in the fleet instance only members of their own fleet can be (and those invited)

In the public instance we disable all the weirdness
    in the fleet instance we leave it running

And of course they would then have their own seperate instance away from everyone who isn't one of them
    Live long and Prosper
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maybe there should be roleplay areas with actual moderators looking after it so people want to roleplay you can freely do so..

Important points highlighted.
  • devian666devian666 Member Posts: 473
    edited June 2013
    I agree. Place all of the so called roleplayers in their own instance, with a close eye kept by moderators. Of course the so called roleplayers should not be allowed to mix with the general population of the game. Think of it as an MMO prison.

Given that this would be for ERP eventually every person in this instance would be banned except the last person. They could command their roleplaying fleet of no one.

This is the best idea sollvax. This would allow actual roleplayers to be able to play unharassed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    oh and by the way google SUCKS for finding quotes from actual people (its great it you want from fictional characters)

Just think special instances and we can all get on with things in peace and quiet
    Live long and Prosper
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    devian666 wrote: »
    I agree. Place all of the so called roleplayers in their own instance, with a close eye kept by moderators. Of course the so called roleplayers should not be allowed to mix with the general population of the game. Think of it as an MMO prison.

I'm against this idea, Role players whatever role they choose to play should be able to do so wherever and whenever they choose without fear or intimidation. This includes people writing their own Mary Sue fan fics if that's what they want to do.
    Given that this would be for ERP eventually every person in this instance would be banned except the last person.
    I don't know how you come to this conclusion, not all RP is ERP.
  • thetarqthetarq Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I am also a fan of this idea; by putting all the RPers into one sealed-off zone, away from the general population, and under the watchful eye of FULL TIME moderators, whose specific job it is to babysit roleplayers so their "immersion" remains unscathed, the rest of us can breath a sigh of relief and continue to play the game normally.

Many of the RPers will no doubt break ToS during their constant arguments over how to RP properly, the right amount of stubble on their toons, what is and isn't canon, who killed whom, etc. Since they are under constant supervision, they will be weeded out.

Sollvax, this really is a fantastic idea, and we commend you for *finally* gaining some common sense and coming around.

Nbreeki
    Dental Starbase Custodian

We could call this area, "Your ship's interior" and you can invite whoever you want to come aboard.
    -= ROM PAUL =-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    vizh20 wrote: »
    May we have a link to the quote? I'm doubting it can be provided as the standard response in asking for any proof of this hearsay has always been a deafening silence. Even if it were true that a single individual in the developer's organization felt that way, it's quite clear that such extreme, draconian measures have not been taken and will not be taken.

The fascism is not on the part of the developers, the fascism is on the part of a microscopic (but highly vocal) minority of players who view the hundreds of thousands of others playing this game as NPCs in their own private fanfics. The calls for standard uniforms, extreme restrictions on behaviour, and the "concentration" of players they dislike in the service of "immersion" is rather telling.

Although Cryptic would be within their rights to set the rules they wish, they have not set any rules that cave into the insane minority.

As for "immersion", "Immersion" is not a key goal in this game. It's rather clear. Cryptic does not care about their players being able to sink into a deep fantasy of really being in Star Trek. They do not care if you cannot bring your Mary Sue to its full realization. They care that *most* people entering the game (including, yes the F2P players) are enjoying themselves. Anything else is simple fanwank.

The line by Zinc was one made three years ago in passing about how he hated seeing people jump on furniture and had to make some comrpomises because, left up to him, he'd have insta-death for jumping on tables and chairs.

The problem with the idea of Mary Sues is that they break immersion.

I'm not a roleplayer. I'm not against custom costumes and fire extinguishers as long as they aren't shoved in other people's faces. But you seem to enjoy imposing your will on other players.

And the idea that Cryptic doesn't want immersion is laughable. Now, it may not satisfy RP rules lawyers but when they put those ships in lockboxes, they see it as a form of immersion still.

People who scream about fascism in my experience just want a different flavor of fascism.

Not being a fascist requires (perhaps counterintuitively) that you can graciously tolerate other people restricting or imposing rules on you.
    edited June 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I am also a fan of this idea; by putting all the RPers into one sealed-off zone, away from the general population, and under the watchful eye of FULL TIME moderators, whose specific job it is to babysit roleplayers so their "immersion" remains unscathed, the rest of us can breath a sigh of relief and continue to play the game normally.

Many of the RPers will no doubt break ToS during their constant arguments over how to RP properly, the right amount of stubble on their toons, what is and isn't canon, who killed whom, etc. Since they are under constant supervision, they will be weeded out.

Sollvax, this really is a fantastic idea, and we commend you for *finally* gaining some common sense and coming around.

Nbreeki
    Dental Starbase Custodian

What exactly is your problem with roleplayers?

I'll add... Even furries are considered a protected class on these forums so I imagine you could probably get infractions for disparaging roleplayers.

It's not cool to tease, intimidate or bully people. The more high strung they are, the less right you should have to do it.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The line by Zinc was one made three years ago in passing about how he hated seeing people jump on furniture and had to make some comrpomises because, left up to him, he'd have insta-death for jumping on tables and chairs.

As usual you post as if you know what you are talking about when infact you are just pulling in random google searches.

Please post the actual evidence, AND IN CONTEXT. Before we accept your 'assertions.

To the people who actually attended what you have described, its obvious you have distorted the truth to epic proportions.
    edited June 2013

Given that this would be for ERP eventually every person in this instance would be banned except the last person. They could command their roleplaying fleet of no one.

This is the best idea sollvax. This would allow actual roleplayers to be able to play unharassed.
    equinox976 wrote: »
    As usual you post as if you know what you are talking about when infact you are just pulling in random google searches.

Please post the actual evidence, AND IN CONTEXT. Before we accept your 'assertions.

To the people who actually attended what you have described, its obvious you have distorted the truth to epic proportions.

I don't supply evidence. I don't do research.

That is an anecdote I remembered. It isn't even possible to search the forums.

I do not verify claims. You trust me or you do not.

Why would I ever say something I didn't honestly believe?