test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where'd all the RP go?

Comments

• vizh20vizh20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    danqueller wrote: »
    The 'fleet in question' also went out of their way to disrupt a roundtable event held between the RP community and the Devs, to the point that the Devs took notice. That isn't roleplay, and was clearly emphasized on the disruption and desire to destroy, not promote the point of the event. Any claims to the contrary are simple falsehoods to avoid responsibility.

All I am seeing here is more statements of ownership and vague, alarmist accusations. I can only guess that the "disruption" was simply using emotes and social items around you while you feel you were entitled to a public space.

Were there any actual misconduct around Devs, there would certainly be some type of disciplinary action, but there was none, so I can only assume that your "somber, serious" RP event was given a mood and tone you disliked, and as you declared ownership of both the social zone and the RP community as a whole, you feel that you are the arbiter of acceptable behaviour.

You use utterly overdramatic language such as "a desire to destroy" over....what? Dancing? Party Poppers? Such over the top descriptions only serve to further demonstrate to the player base exactly how unhinged a very small minority of RPers has become when it comes to demanding that others comply with their own narrow view of how the game should be played.

They accuse people of crimes they have invented. They think they "own" the game. This isn't a Star Trek problem, I understand, this is a fandom problem, which is endemic throughout the internet and off of it as well. I would just like the rational, sane average player to see the other side of things and maybe think twice before believing everything they hear about us on a forum.
  • moggiecanadamoggiecanada Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Well... I've never met this "dentist" fleet... but the way its members are conducting themselves in this thread makes me hope I never will.

I expect they're just trying to get a rise out of people, but if they're not, if they really want to look like a decent group in public, I'd suggest they change their tune.

I'm an EVE Online player so, compared to the WARDECs and griefage I got as a Minmatar, what Dental does is amateur hour. These guys don't even faze me.

Here's some tips on dealing with Dental that work. They always leave me alone after 10 to 15 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to rile me, only to go bother someone else.

1) Change the settings on your game client so the number of persistent objects (like balloons) is a low number. They use the balloon gun to try to crash your game.

2) Turn the volume down or off and put on some music while they start using the fire extinguisher or balloon gun. It's not the images that throw you off, it's the annoying sound it makes that does.

3) Do not respond if they call you names or attempt to emote close up or on top of you. I can't stress this enough. They are trying to bait you. Ignore is your friend. If you detest using the ignore, keep screen shots (don't use text for logging.) and names in separate folders. This will make your complaints easier to organize and more effective against Dental and other griefers.

During one of the RP summits, an RPer in a group I used to hang with made a great suggestion: change the ignore feature to make the person harassing you disappear visually from your point of view. This not only would work from an RP point of view, it would work as a general gameplay improvement overall.
  • vizh20vizh20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10239281&postcount=2492

Note that danqueller was coming up with insane conspiracy theories about a certain fleet being responsible for the login queues during the LoR launch. One should consider a) the BLATANT breach of the Terms of Service and b) how completely crazy this post sounds before giving their arguments any credence.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vizh20 wrote: »
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10239281&postcount=2492

Note that danqueller was coming up with insane conspiracy theories about a certain fleet being responsible for the login queues during the LoR launch. One should consider a) the BLATANT breach of the Terms of Service and b) how completely crazy this post sounds before giving their arguments any credence.

Thats pretty hilarious :D
  • captrott1captrott1 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are so concerned, you should remove those members who continue to besmirch your fleet's name.
    edited May 2013
    captrott1 wrote: »
    If you are so concerned, you should remove those members who continue to besmirch your fleet's name.

I don't think it would be fair to 'remove' anybody without hard evidence. Hearsay on a forum is not evidence. And anybody making accusations without the proof to back it up are the people who should be ashamed, not the other way around.
  • sharyssasharyssa Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <
    RPer...not scared away by "Star Fleet Den-tards" and after countless harassment reports to GM...nothing has been done about them. However, its the curse of F2P people. These losers "say" they are stopping "ERP", but even "legitimate" RP is targeted by these basement dwellers...what does GM support say "ignore them". Bet you won't find them trolling in ground PvP zones. ROFLMAO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sharyssa wrote: »
    after countless harassment reports to GM...nothing has been done about them.

Maybe because, shock horror, they're doing nothing wrong?
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand Starfleet Dental actually plays a lot of ground PVP according to this video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHCqaEgzxV0

Would love to know what "legitimate RP" is. Have you got a dictionary definition you are going by? :confused:
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
    edited May 2013
    Oh look, the exact same things the Den-tards say when they're harassing you...hello Den-tards, or is it Nerds of Prey?

LULZ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimrak1grimrak1 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh look, the exact same things the Den-tards say when they're harassing you...hello Den-tards. LULZ.

I'm beginning to see why your reports were unactioned.
    Fx3popQ.png
    But you know what? I guess it doesn't matter now does it? By being allowed to visit their studios Cryptic has pretty much signed off on you and your fleet haven't they? They've said in deed what most of us have suspected for years. They're not going to stop you. They're not going to correct you. You won. After long last, you really, really won. STO is yours and no one is going to do a thing about it. Congratulations.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of note, if you are having difficulty finding RP in STO, there are at least two or three channels set up for RP coordination, including the original channel established to help discussion at the RP Roundtable.

RP is quite alive in STO, but you will likely have to get past the general jerkiness on Zone to find it.
  • selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the OP -

There are a lot of rp's out there of many different styles. Yes, they are hard to find because they've mostly given up any public play due to a handful of griefers and those who emulate them.

But they are out there.

Our fleet still plays in public, and you can hit Quarks once in a while to see if there is anyone there willing for some pickup rp.

BSDC Role players (Fed) is out fleet, there's also Kirtang Pirates (kdf), STORoleplayers, USS LIBERTY, and The Storytellers, just to name a few. Check them out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Best thing to do with these losers...RP through them, in spite of them, act like they aren't even there...it drives them nuts. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    As far as I can tell from reading the posts on the forums, the Dental members have all been extremely reasonable, with no namecalling, fleet shaming, or derogatory language. It seems you are the one being unreasonable and combative. Perhaps you're the one with the problem.

So says one of their own, how else would you know exactly their tactics, You exposed yourself loser....peace...out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you can't find public RP, join an RP fleet. ;)
  • moggiecanadamoggiecanada Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best thing to do with these losers...RP through them, in spite of them, act like they aren't even there...it drives them nuts. ;)

Exactly.

I've been RPing since 2007, maybe not as long as some other RPers, but long enough to know there are people out there who want to get a rise out of others. Maybe they do it because of a low self-esteem thing, or maybe they lack consideration for others.

We EVE Online players have a saying: harden up. Ignore those who try to ruin your RP and barrel on through them like you suggested. Guarantee 110% they will move on to another target if they do not elicit a response.

Tips on dealing with RP griefers: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10479781&postcount=66
  • franchesicafranchesica Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You say this thinking that your opinion matters to them. Do you really think they care if you ignore them or not? If you do, that's embarrassing.

Also, generally speaking...you come on forums and accuse the members of SFD of being hackers. You call them losers, Den-tards (not one of your finer moments) so on and so forth. Then, ironically you cry that they "troll" you. Imagine. I'll assume there is no feasible reason to go into detail about how much sense this makes.

As a role player of many years, I particularly find this thread amusing. The fact is that 96% of the self-proclaimed role players here couldn't spin a proper sentence if their life depended on it. It's simply why you find them in mmos, because an actual role playing community wouldn't have them. The other 4% hide. Not because of the "scary trolls" but because of the horrible players that call themselves role players. So they stick with others that can actually write.

On that note; I'm grateful for the work in the public areas that SFD does. For one, I don't have to see men playing as woman ERP with other men playing as women. Not to mention, I don't have to read the substandard role play that people fight so vehemently for. Keep up the good work Dentist. There are players that support you!!
  • selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Can you list these "tactics"? Sorry, party poppers, fire extinguishers, "raising the roof", and EV suits don't count as trolling..

True, that would be pure harassment and griefing. :rolleyes:

All of which, by the way, can be visually disabled or ignored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When are people going to learn to stop feeding the trolls? Starfleet Dental is KNOWN to be the biggest troll fleet in the game. It's no secret. Every time they're brought up on this threads, they come here to "adamantly defend themselves as great RPers" and you guys fall for it every time. Guess what? THEY'RE TROLLING YOU. And by arguing with them, YOU'RE LETTING THEM. This is the classic "quit hitting yourself" childishness. Just stop engaging them. Ignore them. Seriously, this is Internet 101: Don't. Feed. The. Trolls.
    edited May 2013
    selraxxx wrote: »

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ...this...so easy to do. Its fun to watch them come out and emo-rage in their own defense. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty there's no real reason for party poppers, yet Cryptic has put them in the game. Does this mean you are accusing cryptic of supplying trolls with the means to do their dirty work? Of course not. These items are put in place for fun. To use wherever, whenever. If that wasn't the case, there would be maps you'd be unable to use them. God forbid anyone other then you have fun in any way you don't agree with.
    edited May 2013
    So says one of their own, how else would you know exactly their tactics, You exposed yourself loser....peace...out.

In the real world if you accuse somebody of something without evidence to back it up its called slander and sometimes libel (with legal ramifications for both).

Given the technology that is available to everybody with a computer and internet connection (or even a simple screenshot) its quite possible to record everything that is seen, heard and written in the game.

As such, there is absolutely no reason why you would be unable to produce evidence of the negative behavior that you have reported.

I don't know a great deal about star fleet dental, I have seen them around, and even pugged with them on quite a few occasions, and I have never seen anything that constituted bad behavior or 'harassment'.

There is a saying: Put up, or shut up. Produce the evidence or cease in your accusations.
  • heartburzumheartburzum Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    selraxxx wrote: »

So I fail to see where the harassment or griefing is. You said it yourself, you can disable or ignore effects.

Let me put it this way. Our RP isn't any less valid then your RP. If what we are RPing is breaking your immersion in a public area it is up to the offended party to find another spot were they are more comfortable.
    hb-sig
    You know what it is...
    -Supporter of Cryptic Lockboxes!
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty there's no real reason for party poppers, yet Cryptic has put them in the game. Does this mean you are accusing cryptic of supplying trolls with the means to do their dirty work? Of course not. These items are put in place for fun. To use wherever, whenever. If that wasn't the case, there would be maps you'd be unable to use them. God forbid anyone other then you have fun in any way you don't agree with.

...fun at the expense of someone else's enjoyment or by interrupting they're own activities is griefing and harassment...and by the way seen your name a few times ingame too trolling. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • horkathanehorkathane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I RP all the Time but in space. I usually Intimidate the Romulans by jumping in an enemy contact and blowing away what their fighting then they cloak like Im going to attack them being 20+ levels higher. No. I make a statement since my ship is named Section 31 Omega about them being observed. But its funny to watch and I got that cloak seeking console for my torpedoes so it wouldn't help lol. I warp out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Legendary Horka Thane
    1999 Tribes 1
    Infamous TurreNt Camp ( if you dont know you are not Legendary )
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is there any doubt about the trolling of the 'toothers'? Their website has tutorials on how to properly grief people, their youtube channel is full of videos of them annoying folks, it's absolutely clear what they're all about.

But that having been said, just ignore them. They are fueled by reaction. Yes, they're a collective group of (insert expletive of your choice)s, but you can't do much else about it. We'd all be much better off if we all minded our business.
    edited May 2013
    equinox976 wrote: »
    In the real world if you accuse somebody of something without evidence to back it up its called slander and sometimes libel (with legal ramifications for both).

Given the technology that is available to everybody with a computer and internet connection (or even a simple screenshot) its quite possible to record everything that is seen, heard and written in the game.

As such, there is absolutely no reason why you would be unable to produce evidence of the negative behavior that you have reported.

I don't know a great deal about star fleet dental, I have seen them around, and even pugged with them on quite a few occasions, and I have never seen anything that constituted bad behavior or 'harassment'.

There is a saying: Put up, or shut up. Produce the evidence or cease in your accusations.

Thats why when ever a complaint is lodged with a GM a screen shot is included...

..and are you threatening legal action on a public forum? Making threats is against the user agreement for these forums. :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    ...fun at the expense of someone else's enjoyment or by interrupting they're own activities is griefing and harassment...and by the way seen your name a few times ingame too trolling. :rolleyes:

...end of line.

What about my expense? What about my enjoyment? What about those that interrupt me with their constant whining and complaining? I have the same right to enjoy the game as you do, or anyone else for that matter. I used to publicly role play, too. That was until role played turned into a pile of grammatical vomit, and erp was everywhere you looked. You can accuse me of being a troll all you like if it makes you feel good about your accusatory posts toward a group of people you know nothing about. The fact is, your opinion about my persona in an online game means nothing to me. It does not affect my life in the smallest of ways. I play an online game, with a group of awesome friends, and we have a good time.

....End of the line.
    edited May 2013
    Thats why when ever a complaint is lodged with a GM a screen shot is included...

..and are you threatening legal action on a public forum? Making threats is against the user agreement for these forums. :eek:

...end of line.

Perhaps you cant read (its certainly beginning to seem that way) if you could quote me exactly where I threatened anybody with legal action I would be grateful.

Again you have failed to produce any kind of evidence, and from every single post you have made in this thread it is abundantly clear that its not starfleet dental that are the trolls. Perhaps a long hard look in the mirror will bring about a revelation for you.