test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stuck character: server not responding on loading screen [NOW RESOLVED!]

Comments

• branramchambranramcham Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't been able to log in all day... so, no.. the login issue is not resolved. Once I select my character, it gets stuck and will not proceed into the game. I get the 'server stopped responding xxxs" message. What's the deal?
  • carrowcanarycarrowcanary Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Has anyone tried turning off on-demand patching?
    Yes. No luck :(
  • beel7beel7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, You actually can get past(!) the character selection-screen? /Lucky you, i CTD before that. Why, You've got half a game more than me. Unfair. Stop complaining. :D:rolleyes:

After about 10 minutes of "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" mine also crashes to the desktop. :(
  • donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is the code vast? Probably. But this error is incredibly specific. It's character based and occurs at 94% loaded. So the first place to look is where those two factors intersect. Persisting through logout is also probably a hefty clue. It's not like they're just randomly selecting lines of code and hoping to find the error based on luck... I hope.

Your assumption is incorrect. I have experienced being dropped from the game at 30.45%, 42.98%, 48.00%, 53.70%, 56.85%, 72.32%, 84.77%, 94.22% and also at 98.10% (and yes I really did note all this down). These numbers were experienced on 3 of my 4 characters over a period of around 35-40 minutes yesterday evening. I do agree however that it is character based, rather than as some people suggested and being account based.

My better half suggested that the errors may well be due to the increased sharding of the game. That perhaps the original locations of the character as stored in the database when they were last logged off, now no longer corresponds to an actual location, so the database cannot load the character in, hence why it times out with what I suspect would be an internal 404 type error that we can't see.

Then again I do not know much about databases, so I have no definitive answer, this one just feels right if you take my meaning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • azpatraoazpatrao Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Day 5...

*strikes a line on the wall*
  • aron1975faron1975f Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 :D

Great job dear developers :)
  • aron1975faron1975f Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your assumption is incorrect. I have experienced being dropped from the game at 30.45%, 42.98%, 48.00%, 53.70%, 56.85%, 72.32%, 84.77%, 94.22% and also at 98.10% (and yes I really did note all this down). These numbers were experienced on 3 of my 4 characters over a period of around 35-40 minutes yesterday evening. I do agree however that it is character based, rather than as some people suggested and being account based.

My better half suggested that the errors may well be due to the increased sharding of the game. That perhaps the original locations of the character as stored in the database when they were last logged off, now no longer corresponds to an actual location, so the database cannot load the character in, hence why it times out with what I suspect would be an internal 404 type error that we can't see.

Then again I do not know much about databases, so I have no definitive answer, this one just feels right if you take my meaning.

But it's correct. 94.1 exactly.
  • finwolfinwol Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll add myself to the list too. Im new to the game and i was pretty enjoying this game as ST fan and mmo player, but now i've been stuck for one day in the Loading screen and cant even play my main char, I hope everything gets sorted soon.

Excuse my lack of english skills. Best Regards!
  • dantherulerdantheruler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look guys the devs are gone for the weekend and won't be back until Tuesday. They really have other more pressing bugs to fix atm, many are complaining of uniforms not properly fitting their characters. Once the other major bugs are fixed they will make sure we can play or at least tell us our characters are lost forever so we can start over. In the meantime lets just open a cold one and relax.
  • elnorelelnorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Happened to me today.

Perma stuck, on my main toon with all the money and fancy toys.

Now I'm forced to play a nub char, just cause Cryptic has employed lackluster server "experts".
  • tiger4195tiger4195 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

But see, the problem we're having isn't getting dropped from the game. You're speaking of having logged into 3 of your 4 characters and then being kicked out from the server not responding. That's not what's happening to us. We're not being booted from the sytem as the server lags out. What's happening, and please feel free to throw in your two cents anyone who's having varying issues, is that we can log into the account from the PWE log in screen, click engage, bring up the character list, click a character, click play, and, as the character is loading, the system locks up at approximately 94%, and hangs with a "Server Not Responding" error at the top of the screen. This isn't about getting booted. This isn't about lagging out. It's about not being able to play our characters because we can't log onto them at all. I understand what you're saying, and your theory sounds reasonable, but keep in mind, we aren't lagging out, we're not getting in at all.
    edited May 2013
    aron1975f wrote: »
    But it's correct. 94.1 exactly.

Your declaration was that it only occurred at 94% and that this should somehow help pinpoint the cause. My point is that, while that may be true for you, it is not true for everyone else, as evidenced by the figures I gathered yesterday. Therefore the point at which your character ceases to load in is utterly irrelevant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited May 2013
    Look guys the devs are gone for the weekend and won't be back until Tuesday. They really have other more pressing bugs to fix atm, many are complaining of uniforms not properly fitting their characters. Once the other major bugs are fixed they will make sure we can play or at least tell us our characters are lost forever so we can start over. In the meantime lets just open a cold one and relax.

I sincerely hope this was intended as sarcasm.... >.>
  • elnorelelnorel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What the hell, are the database nerds having a Saturday picnic?

There is no-one employed to work, or to come to work on this BIG problem?
    MMOs are a 24/7 business, not a weekdays only employment.

GET this fixed. In this day and age they can work from their home computer remotely ffs.
    edited May 2013
    tiger4195 wrote: »
    But see, the problem we're having isn't getting dropped from the game. You're speaking of having logged into 3 of your 4 characters and then being kicked out from the server not responding. That's not what's happening to us. We're not being booted from the sytem as the server lags out. What's happening, and please feel free to throw in your two cents anyone who's having varying issues, is that we can log into the account from the PWE log in screen, click engage, bring up the character list, click a character, click play, and, as the character is loading, the system locks up at approximately 94%, and hangs with a "Server Not Responding" error at the top of the screen. This isn't about getting booted. This isn't about lagging out. It's about not being able to play our characters because we can't log onto them at all. I understand what you're saying, and your theory sounds reasonable, but keep in mind, we aren't lagging out, we're not getting in at all.

Not once did I say anything about lagging out. As I have previously stated, I am experiencing the exact same issue as everyone else. I can log in, get to character selection, begin to load up a character and at the percentages I listed above, the loading fails just as you describe. My point is that it happens at other points than just 94% and thus that this particular figure is essentially meaningless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • dantherulerdantheruler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's what I am saying they are clocked out so all our posts are pretty pointless for the next several days until they get back Tuesday.
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And an uniform that isn't fitting well is an urgent, bigger issue then hunderds of people from whom their main character (mostly holding the biggest resources) is affected by this bug since Tuesdays. Pardon me, if I had two issues, one where my jacket doesn't fit well and one where a costumer has no access at all to his/hers resources, I would know where to put my priority. With other words, DO NOT minimize the seriousness of this problem. And to be honest, as an IT'r myself, weekends don't count.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
    edited May 2013
    noshuffle wrote: »
    And an uniform that isn't fitting well is an urgent, bigger issue then hunderds of people from whom their main character (mostly holding the biggest resources) is affected by this bug since Tuesdays. Pardon me, if I had two issues, one where my jacket doesn't fit well and one where a costumer has no access at all to his/hers resources, I would know where to put my priority. With other words, DO NOT minimize the seriousness of this problem. And to be honest, as an IT'r myself, weekends don't count.

Relax man, the guy was just joking with you. You need to wind your neck in, go read a book or do something outside before you say something stupid and bring a forum mod down on your head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
    edited May 2013
    Not once did I say anything about lagging out. As I have previously stated, I am experiencing the exact same issue as everyone else. I can log in, get to character selection, begin to load up a character and at the percentages I listed above, the loading fails just as you describe. My point is that it happens at other points than just 94% and thus that this particular figure is essentially meaningless.
    I have experienced being dropped from the game at 30.45%, 42.98%, 48.00%, 53.70%, 56.85%, 72.32%, 84.77%, 94.22% and also at 98.10% (and yes I really did note all this down).

Pardon me. I misunderstood what you were saying when you said "dropped from the game".

I do however question whether or not the 94% is irrelevant. A vast majority of the other players having this issue are hanging at a point very close to this 94%. I wouldn't necessarily discount it as being irrelevant. Maybe not the end-all-be-all of clues as to what is wrong, but maybe a step in the right direction.
  • vinthebutchervinthebutcher Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, the character being hit by this bug is only lvl 15. I guess I could just delete and start over, maybe go federation instead of klingon. Who knows when this will end, and that might fix my issue.

I'm lvl 11 Romulus Federation, so you would be were I am basically, so don't.
    Change your timezone here.
    SEGA
    Nov. 2009
    yes, my avatar is my tattoo
    edited May 2013
    Pardon me. I misunderstood what you were saying.

I do however question whether or not the 94% is irrelevant. A vast majority of the other players having this issue are hanging at a point very close to this 94%. I wouldn't necessarily discount it as being irrelevant. Maybe not the end-all-be-all of clues as to what is wrong, but maybe a step in the right direction.

Unless everyone is failing at the exact same point in the loading process, then it is irrelevant. What IS relevant is what happens when the loading process begins, not when it ends. The client seems to be making a call to the database for a specific item and the database appears to be getting itself stuck in a loop before self cancelling and providing the server not responding/unable to load for unknown reason/map loading errors.

The idea would be to start at the beginning of that process, not try and find where the 94% part is. It may also be worth noting that it is highly likely that all the recent map loading/server not responding/unable to load for unknown reason errors are most likely connected in one place in the code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • cryox1cryox1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We're not being booted from the sytem as the server lags out. What's happening, and please feel free to throw in your two cents anyone who's having varying issues, is that we can log into the account from the PWE log in screen, click engage, bring up the character list, click a character, click play, and, as the character is loading, the system locks up at approximately 94%, and hangs with a "Server Not Responding" error at the top of the screen. This isn't about getting booted. This isn't about lagging out. It's about not being able to play our characters because we can't log onto them at all. I understand what you're saying, and your theory sounds reasonable, but keep in mind, we aren't lagging out, we're not getting in at all.
    ^^^^^
    This exactly is thye problem!
    It has been 4 days now and my char is "stucked" somewhere in subspace between Kerrat and Eta Eridani sector space.I shouldnt have ignored a chronoton radiation spike just before warping out of the war zone.Now i m trapped in the cryptic dimension thats beyond every rule of physics in the Universe.:confused:
  • drifytdrifyt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The same thing is happening in neverwinter also. A quick fix is to boot the client in safe mode, options after the launcher
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drifyt wrote: »
    The same thing is happening in neverwinter also. A quick fix is to boot the client in safe mode, options after the launcher

Tried it too, didn't work, but I will give it another shot. But strange thing is, I transfered my main alt to tribble, yesterday and there it's accessable without a problem.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • woppy1woppy1 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    noshuffle wrote: »
    Tried it too, didn't work, but I will give it another shot. But strange thing is, I transfered my main alt to tribble, yesterday and there it's accessable without a problem.

I did the same and its working fine on tribble
  • balorgafdanbalorgafdan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    woppy1 wrote: »
    I did the same and its working fine on tribble

Mine isn't, but I transferred her over after the bug hit.
    edited May 2013
    Update I can log on Vish on TRIBBLE NOW! OMG! I can see my character! On tribble...

but it's something

Stuck at 91.75% on Holodeck still... didn't get to 94.17% this time.
    edited May 2013
    Click Me!

Just to be clear, this is what everyone's loading screen looks like?

SEGA
    Nov. 2009
    edited May 2013
    Click Me!

Yes; only I've gotten my server not responding up to 7000 before finally givign up
    edited May 2013
    Yes; only I've gotten my server not responding up to 7000 before finally givign up

Ha!, I had mine close to 9,000.... Made some food, used the bathroom (#2), watched a little TV etc....
    Click Me!

SEGA
    Nov. 2009
This discussion has been closed.