test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unscheduled/Emergency Network Maintenance (May 9, 2013) (Complete!)

Comments

• Options
    tyrannoswordtyrannosword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I have a better idea - why don't Cryptic reward lifetime/monthly subscription members by performing regular maintenance when needed so that the game we've all signed up to actually works? That way, we can actually have a working game to play instead of sitting around feeling all self-entitled. :p
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know what they've got going on but it's clearly more than they are willing or able to let on. This is totally anecdotal but I have been playing nearly from the start and when stipends began, they haven't missed a beat. Last week, when mine was due...nothing. then the servers crashed and the moment they come back up...poof! There they were.

I'm not claiming I think there was any security breach but my gut instinct is that there is seemingly something bigger going on that started a few weeks ago and isn't getting any better at all.

There have been a few instances of major issues in my time playing but nothing like what's been happening.
  • Options
    erathielerathiel Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know they will give use Test event of LOR about one week or couple of days before LOR release so we can get special Romulan DOFF/BOFF for ...

Oh wait they already said they will propably do test weekend so they cant give us anything ;)
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    20 pages of useless stuff... like pesting about a game server being down...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    kevanouskevanous Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is Everyone forgetting that this is a live online game that is continually evolving and changing for the better every day? This is not like the game you insert into your x-box. The staff is always fixing things and adding things to enhance game play. The game is evolving, every now and than there will need to be maintenance. With everything that evolves there are sometimes problems, glitches, bugs, I mean look at the human race... 90% are still stupid.

Keep up the great work Cryptic! STO is better than its ever been!
  • Options
    dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "first off, neverwinter have its own server,it doesnt share the same server as sto.so for everyone saying neverwinter needs its own server, thats not treu."

While I do agree with this just like i said earlier it seems fishy that not 30 mins after a maintenance on never winter 7 to 8:30 PDT (10 - 11:30 EST) that they have to take all games down for a "emergency
    maintenance".........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
  • Options
    jazziecakezjazziecakez Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now when ever there is a maintenance I will watch Star Trek from episode 1 of the original series to the latest movie that was released. With the amount of downtime we've been having it shouldn't take me that long... Then again.. What ever at least it will give me something to do.

I'll leave you guys to this, I have a date with the handsome and brash Captain James T. Kirk ^^
  • Options
    rmackiermackie Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    decronia wrote: »
    Hint: Don't tell people there will be no maintanence on the normal day in future, that way it can't come round and bite you in the back side. Even though it is unscheduled it has already been brought up. Yet again EU peak time. How about you do it US peak time next time.

Given the last so called server stability update I won't hold my breath that this one will work.

Any even better idea is don't say there will be no maintenance ON ANY DAY in the future then it wouldn't bite them period. :)

I am also worried about the legacy of Romulus expansion, there does seems to be ALOT of downtime lately
    Commanding Officer USS Intrepid

Commanding Officer USS Frontenac

Commanding Officer Enterprise NX-01
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alarikun wrote: »
    Hey, at least this one is announced, rather than suddenly and without notice.

Still... at this point, I'm very worried for Legacy of Romulus...

So am I. This takes us to, what, four or five company-wide outages in the last week? They should stress-test the entire network after this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    20 pages of useless stuff... like pesting about a game server being down...

it's not that its "down". that happens. it's that it is happening with an alarming frequency and doesn't seem to be getting any better.
  • Options
    nchitmannchitman Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For gods sake would you please fix BUILDING #4 on mine trap and how about a ROMULAN mission were we can get some decent marks for the romulan tier , doing it 20 to 30 at a time SUCKS :eek: ... I mean since your fixng stuff or so you say becaus ebuilding 4 has been broke for months now
  • Options
    wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sorry, but they just give you the SERVICE.

they repair the bad parts,they do what whats necessairy to let the people play,without much problems, they temporaily take a game service down, to let you enjoy it more without problems when its back up.

so dont come with they dont gie my my sweetroll while i pay for it...they do there job.

orif youre car breaks down and you go to a garage you say i want my money back because its broken? or let you repair it??

Yes I do. I would take it back to the garage if they said they just fixed it...

You are acting as if this the server didn't just go down 2 days ago and we were told that this maintenance was being performed then so that we would not have any interruption today.

I do see your point being valid only if they did not stick their foot in their mouth on Tuesday telling us they had it under control.

Don't assume everyone would QQ if there wasn't a valid reason. This here I believe, is a valid reason.
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • Options
    jonascarlsonjonascarlson Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kreuge wrote: »
    This is the first thought that entered my mind as well.

Except some of us do pay for it...
  • Options
    borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dank65 wrote: »
    "first off, neverwinter have its own server,it doesnt share the same server as sto.so for everyone saying neverwinter needs its own server, thats not treu."

While I do agree with this just like i said earlier it seems fishy that not 30 mins after a maintenance on never winter 7 to 8:30 PDT (10 - 11:30 EST) that they have to take all games down for a "emergency
    maintenance".........

while it doesnt share the same server, it can share other parts in the network, thats something i cant denie.

so if they did something wrong with the nw update, look out i did say if, meaning it doesnt have to be the truth, it can effect the shared parts, like the router, or the network acces sharing point,or the firewall, i dont know what they all share, but its a posebillity.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rmackie wrote: »
    Any even better idea is don't say there will be no maintenance ON ANY DAY in the future then it wouldn't bite them period. :)

I am also worried about the legacy of Romulus expansion, there does seems to be ALOT of downtime lately

What they said there wont be a patch on Thursday, which there is not, since this is a Cryptic wide thing and not a STO thing.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    earloftharearlofthar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

The goal of this maintenance is for additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Cryptic Studios Team

Branflakes, get some new buz words. I am beginning to think you copy and paste this line over and over in the last month.

Also .. patience and understanding is wearing very thin lately.
    Stonewall@LordHarconan

Lifetime Member
    Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet
    (228 members and growing)
  • Options
    ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was under the impression that there would be no more downtime for maintenance this week because of the server crash that happened yesterday. Isn't that why you patched early?

Given the recent crashes and hours of downtime coinciding with Neverwinter's open beta, I'm not really filled with a lot of confidence with LoR's release looming on the horizon. Kang once said "Only a fool fights in a burning house," but I'm thinking that only a fool runs three MMOs off the same server room.
  • Options
    cryolordcryolord Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I kills me to think they're trying to run all these different games off the same linked servers, where if one poorly developed and unstable game falls, (cough, Neverwinter) they all fall.
  • Options
    knochengeigerknochengeiger Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It has been announced as "unscheduled" to the player base. Whether it is truly unscheduled is a completely different issue. At this point, I am inclined to believe this downtime was scheduled just like any other one on thursdays, but they decided to announce it differently to avoid nerd rage over the fact that they were supposed to perform the regular maintenance + patch earlier this week.

Exactly my thoughts. They assume all their customers are dumb idiots.
    We want to keep the foundry.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Now when ever there is a maintenance I will watch Star Trek from episode 1 of the original series to the latest movie that was released. With the amount of downtime we've been having it shouldn't take me that long... Then again.. What ever at least it will give me something to do.

I'll leave you guys to this, I have a date with the handsome and brash Captain James T. Kirk ^^

Amazon Prime just added TNG HD if you have that service.
  • Options
    cornjobcornjob Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nchitman wrote: »
    For gogs sake would you please fix BUILDING #4 on mine trap and how about a ROMULAN mission were we can get some decent marks for the romulan tier , doing it 20 to 30 at a time SUCKS :eek:

Have you tried raising Eophh's? getting one full grown takes a few days but is 400 marks. If you stay on top of it you can get some good tags.
  • Options
    captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

We will be bringing down all Cryptic games and services in 25 minutes for maintenance and expect it to last for 3 hours. The test server will also be unavailable during this time.

The goal of this maintenance is for additional performance optimizations to help avoid the outages we've seen recently.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

- The Cryptic Studios Team

okay if I went and said what I really want to say, my account would be banned forever. needless to say that cryptic and pwe really need to get there TRIBBLE together! we should all get 1000 z points for the servers being down every single god damn day this week. this is a business and when the servers are down this often guess what happens? people spend less and less on your product. I keep saying it over and over. if this game didn't have the star trek ip it would have died years ago. I swear jj abrams must be in the data center causing lens flares to crash the servers.
  • Options
    niihainiihai Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know, I just tried this game a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. So I bought a lifetime sub for it, pre-bought the LoR special edition pack, joined a fleet, made some friends here. And I was enjoying myself just fine for about a week until this all started happening. And it's always at the worse possible times, times where I'm available for just about those times only on a given day.

For some it might be free-to-play. Not so for me. And as such, I demand a bit more for my money than being denied playing something I want to play practically every time I'm ready to log on. Enough is enough.

Scheduled maintenance is one thing. This unplanned TRIBBLE happening every 48 hours or so is ridiculous. Since I am a paying customer, I expect to be compensated for the time I'm being disallowed to enjoy the product I bought and paid for. Clock's ticking. Money's starting to pile up. Confidence in this company and its ability to manage a network-hosted game falling rapidly.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hoping these will eventually come to pass, but I'm apprecaiting this is getting done now before LoR is released.

But as the new movie is released today, not so much of an issue for me. :)
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    pec3pec3 Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This stinks. I was near the end of the mission when the server went down. I need Energy credits, dillitium, etc to improve my ship, and now I can not do that. Will Criptic make it up for lost time by giving me good amount of Dillitium, and Energy credits for this 3 hours that I would make if server is online.

I do not think so. :mad: :(
    You are loosing people in Europe, and turn us against you by doing this. Why you are doing this by Europe day time, why do not do that by USA day time?

:mad: :mad:
  • Options
    kreugekreuge Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is more fun than playing STO :)
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'm not claiming I think there was any security breach but my gut instinct is that there is seemingly something bigger going on that started a few weeks ago and isn't getting any better at all.

Don't think it's a security breach. It's more a case of poorly coded load-sharing and inadaquate hardware resources.

Cryptic didn't anticipate such a demand for Never-winter in the beta-stage. They may have had hardware upgrades in progress but something due to come online for the 15th does no good today.

As for the shoddy coding issue -- we are stuck with that. They should have tried harder to retain their programmers rather than let them walk leaving behind a billion lines of undocumented code.
  • Options
    borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wargill wrote: »
    Yes I do. I would take it back to the garage if they said they just fixed it...

You are acting as if this the server didn't just go down 2 days ago and we were told that this maintenance was being performed then so that we would not have any interruption today.

I do see your point being valid only if they did not stick their foot in their mouth on Tuesday telling us they had it under control.

Don't assume everyone would QQ if there wasn't a valid reason. This here I believe, is a valid reason.

i understand youre point, you have a valid point there.

but i just want to add the following:

they did say 2 days ago there will be no more trouble, but, in 2 days time, there is much that can happen with servers,i'm not happy with this either,dont get me wrong on that, but there is much that can go wrong in 2 days, i dont believe cryptic like's this either,so again youre point is valid,but there are also external facters where cryptic,or you and my, dont have any control over.
  • Options
    general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FOR F***S SAKE WOULD ALL YOU ENTITLED WHINNY NO LIFES QUIT YER *****'N ?

Seriously This is one of the most whinny, self righteous communities ever. You guys can really be worse the the little Xbox kids. You don't deserve compensation for EMERGENCY downtime no more then a doctor deserves an extra $5,000 for being called in for an emergency. To all the UK players, its Unscheduled, which means they didn't plan it so they couldn't make it another timezone. To people who payed lots of money for things in this game like me, just because you invested in an MMO doesn't mean you deserve free goodies every time the game takes a ****. Yeah it sucks not being able to play but there are plenty of other things to do, like Idk have a life outside of the MMO. You guys sound like crack heads in Detroit. NOW STFU BEFORE I FIRE MY LAZER!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.