test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unscheduled/Emergency Network Maintenance (May 9, 2013) (Complete!)

Comments

• theodrimtheodrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get the complaints from paying players, than again, no one is forcing you to give away your money to them so you don't have the right to complain technically...And for those who would argue that if you pay you have the right to complain, you should read their T&S, as well as EULA and other legal bound documents.

Of course, neither does the EULA nor T&S place the customer under obligation to continue using offered services, nor does it ensure the service-provider right to future expenditure on the customer's part. That's the problem with these simplistic, straw-man, legalist arguments: they fail, comprehensively, to account for the two most important aspects of customer relationship management: social capital and goodwill.

Cryptic and PWE would just as remiss and myopic to listen to "your" proffered, legalist, advice as you seem to think they would be to listen to the "entitled majority". The surest way to fail as a business is not, actually, to provide a substandard service or product; it's to break faith and erode goodwill with one's customers. I'm not saying Cryptic and PWE are doing that -- at the very least, the constant downtimes are a sign of good faith in building a stable, solid service down the road opposed to letting it languish in instability -- what I am saying is the T&S and EULA, for whatever rights and obligations they do or don't confer, matter about as much as a wet TRIBBLE in a hurricane if there are no customers.
    Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL, quick random thought... do you think that the STO network infrastructure and Kim Kardashian are related? They both seem to go down a lot... :P
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

Emergency network maintenance is going really well. Our teams are moving incredibly fast to get you back in-game! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, per my tweets I'm bringing up the question so we can get a valid answer.

We were told the extended emerg/unsched downtime earlier this week... was supposed to prevent this from happening again.

Yet here we are.

Can you explain why the first statement that was made turned out to be untrue? What is going on behind the scenes?

The lack of information is what is causing people to become angry -- not the downtime itself.
  • erathielerathiel Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi Captains,

Emergency network maintenance is going really well. Our teams are moving incredibly fast to get you back in-game! Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I hope You will no have problems as that on time LOR premiere, and you will not make any "unscheduled maintenance" to make server more stable etc.

If you need to do anything that could help with new hundreds of Romulan captains created on 21th withour crash every 15 mins, then please do it now, you still have more than week to make everything to make game more playable and enjoyable.
  • maverickdude05maverickdude05 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have been playing (and paying for) this game for over 3 years now,and let me tell you this without sugarcoating it.....more "scheduled emergency maintenance" will take place before,on and after May 21,that's a given.Now you can do one of two things....1: Expect it to happen,relax and maybe play another game while the servers are down.....or 2: Get mad,go on the forums and rage like a lunatic,pop a vein and off you go to the hospital for your own "emergency maintenance".

Either way the servers will still be down....

Bam, best way to say it.
  • wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What IS an eggroll? In the UK our dim sum is deep fried...ruins the flavour! I think Chinese takeaways in the UK are lazy anyway....

WHAT IS AN EGGROLL??? you Brits are being deprived! You guys should boycott all Chinese restaurants until they give you your eggrolls!

Sheesh what is wrong with the world?
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hahah! Thanking us for our support....

What he ACTUALLY meant to say was -

For the love of God stop whining! It was unexpected and we are fixing it! Stop moaning and be patient! You will get your fix soon enough! Christ almighty! you'd think that we had just cut your arm off, stolen your car and had intercourse with your grandparents!

*middle finger*,

Brandon

:D

Funnily enough I think that would be respected more than what is currently the opening post.:D

It gives me a chance to watch something that was recommended as so bad it is quite good some straight to DVD war of the worlds film. Second Wave or some such title.

Yes I find it annoying but I have lost nothing as an f2p player everything I have will still be there. It is those who pay a sub that I empathise with, considering how often it has been going on of late, it does not bode well.
  • bignutterbignutter Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given that it's not just STO, but Also Neverwinter. I've got a feeling that the account server that basicly checks out our accounts out and sorts our Zen in the Cryptic games. (I don't see Rusty Hearts down, but then It could be, as there is little mention of NW down on their forums.)

With out knowing who you are, your "User ID No" is missing and the STO or NW servers can't do anything, as they can't tell if Character 132456789 could have/have not access to a Chimera ship. (Fed 1000 day ship) You really don't want a 1 week old Silver account to have access to the "Phaser Lotus".

If you discover a water pipe is leaking.. you'd try and get it fixed.. before your house got flooded.

Well.. at least NW gets away with being called a "open beta" and this issue is more "acceptable." Although I think "soft launch" is a better term given that there are no more planned resets to the NW now.
  • wan5wan5 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    Bran, per my tweets I'm bringing up the question so we can get a valid answer.

We were told the extended emerg/unsched downtime earlier this week... was supposed to prevent this from happening again.

Yet here we are.

Can you explain why the first statement that was made turned out to be untrue? What is going on behind the scenes?

The lack of information is what is causing people to become angry -- not the downtime itself.

The patch they put on the other day during the crash was some french targeting fix, this is hamster walkies time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cubeageddon - You are the last hope. Find it in the Foundry!
    The Space Race - An alternate to PVP - In Foundry Now!
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sonoframon wrote: »
    LOL, quick random thought... do you think that the STO network infrastructure and Kim Kardashian are related? They both seem to go down a lot... :P

xD ha ha ha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ychildychild Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OK, who tripped over the cable? I guess this is the scheduled maintenance for this week. lol:D
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    niihai wrote: »
    Scheduled maintenance is one thing. This unplanned TRIBBLE happening every 48 hours or so is ridiculous. Since I am a paying customer, I expect to be compensated for the time I'm being disallowed to enjoy the product I bought and paid for.

Never going to happen. Let me math you for a second. You either have a lifetime account or you pay by the month. I'm going to assume you bought the monthly sub, given that you just started playing. Fifteen dollars a month, divided by the average amount of days a month(which is thirty), is about fifty cents a day. Going even further, this scheduled downtime is going to last about three hours. Dividing that fifty cents by 24 hours, I'd say you have six cents owed to you. Would you like cash, or check?

And if you have a lifetime membership, you're getting the lifetime of this game for the same amount you'd pay for a year and a half's worth of monthly subbing. The question you gotta ask yourself is "will the game survive long enough for that expenditure to be worth it?" For me, that answer's yes, but then again, I bought mine two years ago. I'm not entirely sure I'd buy it today.

Just after STO's launch, the game crashed and never came back up for like a WEEK. You know what we got? A title(Tamarian Envoy) and a badge(Badge of Temba). If we do ever get compensation for downtime, it will be in this way. But don't hold your breath.
  • thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I Second this
    Well you know, I couldn't blame him if he got pissed. I work in a field where you have to show a professional attitude in public at all times. So sometimes it's nice to 'indulge' in a little 'STFU'ing' I admit. Simply given the number of ignorant entitled little f*ck's who start whining and crying like my 6 month old daughter.

lol, anyways, how's that Dready workin' for ya? I love the hell out of mine, hardly ever use anything else.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dicecasden wrote: »
    The complaints you guys are making are simply idiotic...

Would you rather this stuff happen nor or when LOR launches?

(waits for reply)

Yeah... that's what I thought, so chill out people

its not that people would *rather* this happen when LoR launches. It's that people are getting nervous its *going* to happen when it launches. The amount of "emergency maint." is increasing, not decreasing.

This should speak well of Cryptic in that what's been happening, at the rate its been happening, isn't "normal" for STO. Hell, I rarely even had lag and now we are all getting tons of it AND rubberbanding which didn't exist for most of us prior to the last few weeks.

People aren't necessarily complaining *at* Cryptic/PW...their words may be but it because people are starting to go "Really? WTF is going on???"

Why? Because they love the game, they don't hate it or the people that designed it.
  • captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erathiel wrote: »
    I hope You will no have problems as that on time LOR premiere, and you will not make any "unscheduled maintenance" to make server more stable etc.

If you need to do anything that could help with new hundreds of Romulan captains created on 21th withour crash every 15 mins, then please do it now, you still have more than week to make everything to make game more playable and enjoyable.

highly doubtfull. anyone remember the launch of season 7 or every other launch for that matter? I can guarantee you that on the 21st the game will crash within the first hour.
  • tom40stom40s Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    when is the virtual reality vision coming out of sto
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So any chance of a nice Dev blog to be going on with?
    Live long and Prosper
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lhoygow wrote: »
    While the team is working to bring up all Cryptic services, we will conduct this week's Holodeck maintenance to avoid scheduled downtime on Thursday.

Trickery, trickery! You had us all fooled Cryptic, good on you ;)

I remember that one as well.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rich776rich776 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why do you always have to do maintance all the time I can't get to the game when you do maintance so will you be done soon:mad::mad:
  • romeowhiskey4romeowhiskey4 Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wargill wrote: »
    WHAT IS AN EGGROLL??? you Brits are being deprived! You guys should boycott all Chinese restaurants until they give you your eggrolls!

Sheesh what is wrong with the world?
    every film where there is chinese food there is an egg roll... infact you have yours in little cartons that fold at the top making it look evemn MORe delicious....
    Ours come in foil trays with pools of grease collecting in the bottom, the foil then cuts your fingers as you try to open it then get burned by the escaping steam. After you have managed to coax the noodles from the tub you get drenched in grease...

I really wanna try an egg roll... But if we boycott our chinese places we are left with curry houses...and then we play the Guantlet of the Runs... bit like running the gauntlet but you're sat down usually...
  • mecteshmectesh Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    okay if I went and said what I really want to say, my account would be banned forever. needless to say that cryptic and pwe really need to get there TRIBBLE together! we should all get 1000 z points for the servers being down every single god damn day this week. this is a business and when the servers are down this often guess what happens? people spend less and less on your product. I keep saying it over and over. if this game didn't have the star trek ip it would have died years ago. I swear jj abrams must be in the data center causing lens flares to crash the servers.

Subscribers only get 500 points/month, with a value of ~1/3 the monthly cost. Doubling that (~2/3 value of an entire month's sub) for intermittent down time over the course of a week isn't reasonable.
    Mac mini Server (mid 2011): 2GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welll, bottom line is, it doesnt matter what we say here or anywhere.. We dont count you see.. The only people who count to any company are the investors, and we are not them. however, at this point, i cant believe the investors ( the group that keeps the company alive financially ) arent sitting up and scratching their heads wondering if cryptic is such a good investment.. I can only imagine that the folks in the board room at cryptic are running around nervous as hell this morning, expecting the axe to fall.. and they bloody well should be. incompetence of this magnitude is never accepted by investors..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • wargillwargill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sonoframon wrote: »
    Chomping on pork rinds and diet pepsi...

haha why the diet Pepsi? Might as well just go full bore while eating pieces of fried pork fat with the skin attached.
    Give me all your latinum... Hew-mon!!
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well you know, I couldn't blame him if he got pissed. I work in a field where you have to show a professional attitude in public at all times. So sometimes it's nice to 'indulge' in a little 'STFU'ing' I admit. Simply given the number of ignorant entitled little f*ck's who start whining and crying like my 6 month old daughter.

lol, anyways, how's that Dready workin' for ya? I love the hell out of mine, hardly ever use anything else.

Tac Dready is my favorite ship, I am currently working to get the Best DPS and Survivability out of her I can, I just need XII Purple Phaser Relays, I have XI Purples and my lance is almost a One hit kill in PVP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pec3 wrote: »
    This stinks. I was near the end of the mission when the server went down. I need Energy credits, dillitium, etc to improve my ship, and now I can not do that. Will Criptic make it up for lost time by giving me good amount of Dillitium, and Energy credits for this 3 hours that I would make if server is online.

I do not think so.
    You are loosing people in Europe, and turn us against you by doing this. Why you are doing this by Europe day time, why do not do that by USA day time?

I was near the end of a mission too when it went offline & Excuse you but it IS daytime here in the USA...I have been playing for WAY over 3 years now I started in beta I have seen my share of daytime down time. I also have a lifetime membership & I don't get on here crying about downtime at least they are trying to fix the problems, so Stop crying & Go have some tea & cake. :P Over 2 million people play this game the majority of which is in the USA not in Europe. :cool:
    [img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • jonascarlsonjonascarlson Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, what's your problem with Cryptic exactly?
    Can you not go outside and have a beer with your friends, smoke a joint, play ball.. things you can do when there's noting to do at home?

I get the complaints from paying players, than again, no one is forcing you to give away your money to them so you don't have the right to complain technically. If it was P2P game than it's another matter, but it is not and you can play it without paying for it.
    And for those who would argue that if you pay you have the right to complain, you should read their T&S, as well as EULA and other legal bound documents.

All this frustration and rumble on the forums won't achieve nothing, and I for one would rather have a joint with my friend ,a thousand time over, than release my frustration with people I will, likely, never see in my life on something that really doesn't cost me in any way.

Stoner you've been playing for what, not even a year, free I'm sure. Maybe some of us do have life, it's just that in the rare time we get to play, we're getting a little PO'd that the server that a lot of us have been paying for since day one is down; again for the 3rd time in a week. Also, some of us feel it is our given right to bit** on a forum specifically made for us to bit** on or it wouldn't allow us to comment. Just like you exercise you're right to be a stoner, although that's actually illegal. So I kinda find it ironic that somebody who smokes weed is telling us not to do something because it's a waste of time... The reason most of us come here is to vent and get away from the monotony of life and still have the same amount of brain cells as when we started.
  • captainleavittcaptainleavitt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    every film where there is chinese food there is an egg roll... infact you have yours in little cartons that fold at the top making it look evemn MORe delicious....
    Ours come in foil trays with pools of grease collecting in the bottom, the foil then cuts your fingers as you try to open it then get burned by the escaping steam. After you have managed to coax the noodles from the tub you get drenched in grease...

I really wanna try an egg roll... But if we boycott our chinese places we are left with curry houses...and then we play the Guantlet of the Runs... bit like running the gauntlet but you're sat down usually...

dude, that's some funny stuff lol
  • th3bu1ittth3bu1itt Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dicecasden wrote: »
    The complaints you guys are making are simply idiotic...

Would you rather this stuff happen nor or when LOR launches?

(waits for reply)

Yeah... that's what I thought, so chill out people

except it WILL happen when LoR launches, and more frequently than it does now.
  • sonoframonsonoframon Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wargill wrote: »
    haha why the diet Pepsi? Might as well just go full bore while eating pieces of fried pork fat with the skin attached.

Because I'm a fat whiny silver player that is enraged that STO isn't on when he can actually pull himself from... self-pleasure. And I love pork rinds. And Diet Pepsi.

NO, really... it's the first things i've seen in my fridge/pantry.
    WELL IF THE JAPORI INCIDENT HAS TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S THAT MY EXISTENCE IS AN EXPLOIT. THANKS CRYPTIC.

IF YOU ARE READING MY SIG - THEN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really wanna try an egg roll...

Think Spring Roll for the UK and we are in the right area from what I understand of it where US Egg Rolls are concerned, from the pics i have seen anyway.

As for the rest sounds about right for us.:D
This discussion has been closed.