test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Legacy Pack Pre-Order! [The price has now increased]

Comments

• aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    money to reinvest into the company like how all smart companies operate)

Price =/= value

Revenue =/= investment

less utility rather than more

All utility in a MMO is zero sum

A new P2W item diminishes all existing utility and is a zero sum to the net worth of the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    You don't get to speak for everyone.

Relativism is the last resort of a frustrated debater

Cost-comparison with other MMOs and similar products make it clear the items are overpriced by at least a factor of ten

In other words, just because it has no value to you doesn't mean it has no value to others.

There's one born every minute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aestu wrote: »
    Price =/= value

Just because some pixels cost X amount on Z-store doesn't mean they're worth a dime

You are right. But it is called price comparision. If you looked at the cost of all those items in the Legacy pack, and compared them with the projected cost of the items based on what is currently offered in the C-store you get around 181 dollars (I forget the exact amount. But thecosmic1 did the math). That gives it a 56 dollar value.

Yes, that value is based on the idea that you want all the items in the pack and would be willing to pay for it. If you are not, then it is worthless, but that isn't on cryptic that is on you, it is up to you to decide if the price is worth it, that doesn't make the bundle any less of a deal.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cost-comparison with other MMOs and similar products make it clear the items are overpriced by at least a factor of ten

Then don't buy it.
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In other words, just because it has no value to you doesn't mean it has no value to others. You don't get to speak for everyone. You simply get to decide what you want to do with your own money.

hey there will always be "people" who will want to be paid to play :rolleyes:

btw movies are virtual and yet people pay for them and dont b**ch all day.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    :(:mad:

I wanted the pack but $125 is tooooooo much. Are all those items exclusive to the pack?

I really want some of the things, and am willing to pay single items for when the time comes.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • cptshephardcptshephard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We have a Dev Blog planned that will reveal our LTS/ Veteran/ Gold rewards -- we're still going over the details internally, but we'll have it out as soon as everything is finalized. I will make sure that we get it posted in plenty of time before the "limited time" price goes away.

Also, I will say that at launch, Romulans will not have a 1000-day Veteran ship available; however, we are planning to address this as soon as possible.

Exactly! It allows players to pre-order Romulan Ships (and other extras) at a bundled, discounted rate. All of the items (except titles) are currently planned to be available in the C-Store at launch, so you can take advantage of the Dilithium Exchange to obtain them.

Also, the current pricing will only be available for a limited time, so expect it to go up. I don't have a date yet for the price increase.

Not the pack itself, no. Please see the answer above.

Here is the answer from the FAQ: "Consoles that are from Tier 1-4 Romulan ships can ONLY be transferred to other Romulan ships, and consoles that are from T5 Romulan ships can only be used on the specific ship they came on*."

*If there is a T5 Fleet Version of the ship, it should be able to be transfered to it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Do you know how much forum rage this might save you if they would just come out and say all this in the announcement thus making it clearer? Imagine the headaches it would save you having to sort it out later. I mean they have to know people are going to ask these kinds of questions.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually would buy the legacy pack if the romulan faction was a stand alone 3rd faction, but it's not so i'm keeping my wallet closed.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From what I understand, everything in the pack (possibly with the exception of the titles) will be available to purchase on the c-store when Legacy Launches.

The packs are just a way to get everything at a discount.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
    edited April 2013
    Do you know how much forum rage this might save you if they would just come out and say all this in the announcement thus making it clearer? Imagine the headaches it would save you having to sort it out later. I mean they have to know people are going to ask these kinds of questions.

The reaction that this pack is getting makes it fairly clear how little effort people put into research, and how much they put into knee-jerk reacting.

The information has been out there almost as soon as the bundle was announced. But that hasn't stopped people from completely (and in my opinion unjustly) freaking out about it.
    edited April 2013
    But it is called price comparision. That gives it a 56 dollar value. Yes, that value is based on the idea that you want all the items in the pack and would be willing to pay for it.

wrong

that "value" is based on the premise that price = value

there is one born every minute, there are always fools willing to pay more than something is worth, if your product is marketed to fools it's because it sucks

comparison to other, objectively superior mmo products makes it clear the legacy pack is grossly overpriced

"Don't improve the product, just find dumber customers!"
    -Bob the Dinosaur, Dilbert
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Saw this on another game's forum that I frequent that also has people complaining on prices. Felt it was appropriate over here.
    Stay with me here, this is going to be complicated...

Then. Don't.
    Still with me?
    Don't. Buy. It.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited April 2013
    research

you are talking in cliches but your statement is false

marketwide cost comparison as I linked two pages ago demonstrates STO charges much more for much less content with more bugs, less reliable servers and more primitive gfx/gameplay than its immediate competitors
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

So is making assertions without any attempt to back them up.
    How on Earth did you calculate that?
    Oh good, I was really wondering what your judgement was regarding people who buy C-Store items.

And honestly, the true sign of a frustrated debater is a clear inability to see any other viewpoint but his/her own.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am a gaming afficiando with a job. I also love to read and have many other interests. So, I don't see my choices of recreation as mutually exclusive. I hold active elite subs to all the MMOs listed. I am currently contemplating my next marginal entertainment investment.

MMO #1, produced by a company based in Irvine, CA
    -$50 to unlock all content
    -$15/mo
    -No marginal cost for any functional content
    -Some vanity items for ~$15/ea
    -At least 500% more content than STO
    -Better graphics than STO
    -Basically no software bugs and very few hardware bugs (occasional issues with some TCP/IP configurations, Macs, and Nvidia video cards)

MMO #2, produced by a company based in Seoul, Korea

-All content is F2P
    -Elite status is $15/mo
    -No marginal cost for any functional content
    -Many vanity items for ~$3-10/ea
    -At least 200% more content than STO
    -VASTLY better graphics than STO
    -Basically no bugs
    -VASTLY better TRIBBLE than STO

MMO #3, produced by a company based in Bellevue, WA

-All content is F2P
    -Elite status is $50, one-time fee
    -Many vanity items for many different prices
    -At least 100% more content than STO
    -VASTLY better graphics than STO
    -Almost no bugs
    -TRIBBLE are far worse than STO or any of its competitors because the game was written by feminists

STO
    -One faction is F2P
    -Elite status is $150, Legacy status is $125
    -Many functional items for $10-50 ea
    -Less content than any near competitor
    -Worse content than any near competitor
    -Many, many bugs
    -Graphical/gameplay quality is most similar to the predecessor of MMO #3, which is B2P for $49, one-time.

I am employed as a bookkeeper and operations manager. I am in a MSA/CPA program in the Cincinnati area.

Please - cost-justify this to me. I'm listening.

Offhand, I knew that this was going to be merged with the other thread.

Onhand, your "model" with STO isn't exactly fair. STO has two (2, and I mean 2 factions naysayers) that are free 2 play. By the way, what is Elite status supposed to be ? :confused:

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited April 2013
    wrong

there is one born every minute, there are always fools willing to pay more than something is worth, if your product is marketed to fools it's because it sucks

comparison to other, objectively superior mmo products makes it clear the legacy pack is grossly overpriced

And what is this "objectively superior mmo products"? I compared it to Current C-store items of the same category. So you are saying EVERYTHING in the C-store is overpriced? What about lifetime subscriptions, are those overpriced?
    edited April 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    Then. Don't.
    Still with me?
    Don't. Buy. It.

a company in irvine said that

then they lost about 3 million subs

so, your argument boils down to you want STO to fail? or what are you trying to say?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wrong

Ah.

Abuse.
    edited April 2013
    And what is this "objectively superior mmo products"? I compared it to Current C-store items of the same category. So you are saying EVERYTHING in the C-store is overpriced? What about lifetime subscriptions, are those overpriced?

lifetime sub is $150, it buys about 1/3-1/5th the content of superior mmos that cost $0-50 upfront and $0-15/month, and it doesn't include P2W items

mathematically, a lifetime sub is break-even if you plan on playing STO religiously for about 10-20 years
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why do you people answer her....some of you should know better. does no one remember the deactivating of the USS Enterprise thread.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Onhand, your "model" with STO isn't exactly fair. STO has two (2, and I mean 2 factions naysayers) that are free 2 play. By the way, what is Elite status supposed to be ? :confused:

means p2w but then starts b***ing about p2w...and so on .pretty sure is just trolling.
    edited April 2013
    you are talking in cliches but your statement is false

marketwide cost comparison as I linked two pages ago demonstrates STO charges much more for much less content with more bugs, less reliable servers and more primitive gfx/gameplay than its immediate competitors

Cliche? Taking the time to look up what is and is not contained in a given product before flipping out about the cost of said product is cliche?
    edited April 2013
    lifetime sub is $150, it buys about 1/3-1/5th the content of superior mmos that cost $0-50 upfront and $0-15/month, and it doesn't include P2W items

mathematically, a lifetime sub is break-even if you plan on playing STO religiously for about 10-20 years

last I checked. Lifetime was 299.99. 199.99 if you buy it on sale.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lifers should get something.

After all we were (and I speak formyslef when I say , I am) Loyal to you Cryptic

Either way Good Luck with LoR
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought it but do I need to run the installer again?

That's not necessary right?
    edited April 2013
    Ah.

Abuse.

I didn't call you a fool. nor did I imply you are one. the only name-caller here is you.

you are looking to scream troll in a discussion that is not proceeding in your favor.

"I'll let you decide if you're a fool." a cookie for whoever places the quote!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wrong

Name calling others is clearly the mark of the desperate.

Don't like it, don't buy it. This is a C-store ship item sale with a title and a costume thrown in.

It just seems that you are trying to manipulate people to get the items cheaper.

So you do want them, but you do not have the funds to pay for them, and thus try to devalue them.

If you did not want them, why would you care?

And so far I did not see a lot of people agreeing with you , only disagreeing. Argument going in your favour, right.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2013

And confrontationalism is generally the last resort of those who do not understand the world you live in.

You pay for cable? It's just bits on a TV screen which only contribute to enjoyment. You pay for internet? It's just bits on a computer screen. You pay for Sirius Radio? It's just sounds coming out of a radio.

Most of the things we interact with in our daily lives for enjoyment have no tangible value.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bought it but do I need to run the installer again?

That's not necessary right?

Don't think so. I'm guessing all of your stuff will be available to claim in the C-store once everything goes live.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I didn't call you a fool. nor did I imply you are one. the only name-caller here is you.

you are looking to scream troll in a discussion that is not proceeding in your favor.

"I'll let you decide if you're a fool." a cookie for whoever places the quote!

Barely legible yellow text doesn't make your points any better.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
This discussion has been closed.