What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Dev Blog #2

Comments

• Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ya, rom liberated borg seem like a no brainier, 1 is the main antagonist for the rom featured episodes. that was a perk for something, life time i believe? i don't want to sound entitled or anything but...
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Actually yes
    The Federation supplied Bajor with Runabouts

Oh jeez, a five men vessel.
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The romulans can have as many Fed Runabouts as they need... no complaint... Defiant? Vesta? Galaxy? Oddessy? Completely different animal.

Id let them have the Defiant (after all its Romulan tech)
    Not that Id fly one if you paid me in Chocolate fudge

But Romulans on a Galaxy is proven to be bad for the Ship (the sneaky devils walk through the walls)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wast33 wrote: »

...reading this makes me feel sick! PLZ step back from giving overall ship-access to rommies, this is just incredible...*fill in ungentle word*...

I also think it's silly, but I watch a lot of Feds fly alien ships. We'll probably see Fed captains in Borg cubes soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    only to say it (again): no ship-sharing plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    think about it proper plz...

edit: off now to watch wrath of khan. may that would have been a better title for this extension :D... :(
  • Options
    zeratkzeratk Member Posts: 409
    edited April 2013
    It seems to be, this is getting even more worse than the Abramsverse...
    This is Crypticverse... :mad:
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    DStahl wrote: »
    STO launched in 2010 with two playable factions, the Federation and Klingon Empire. Each faction had exclusive species, costumes, and starships. Faction rules were established. If you purchased a starship for the Federation, you could not unlock it for your Klingon captains because it was a different faction. We didn?t have to create that rule or add factions, but we did so because it fits the fiction of Star Trek Online where these two groups are at odds. We could have easily said everyone is in the same faction and let everyone mingle, but that didn?t fit our future story goals.

Well, as of this moment either faction can pilot 3 types of Tholian ship, who are basically glass spiders that exist in temperatures that would instantly kill Federation & Klingon characters.

We fly three types of Jem'Hadar ships, one of which is a hundred years old and should be a lot less powerful then it is. Two types of Cardassian ships, that really aren't built for our needs, certainly not from a Klingon point of view. We even get to fly ships that haven't even been built yet in relation to Temperal lockbox ships that in any other game, film of TV show would have been taken away like in Voyager.

So, Danny... what part of "Keeping things off limits" do you not get? Or does that only hold off until money is involved then all of a sudden we get a hat to pass around with the galaxy's factions' keys in? How canon.
    DStahl wrote: »
    Just like the other two factions, Romulans have exclusive species, costumes, and starships that cannot be used by the other factions.

Well, no that's not true. You've already stated we're likely to get a lockbox at some point that will have Romulan ships in it for Klingon & Federation captains to play! So... could you make your mind up?

My two cents: I'd love a Romulan faction, it would be great. But it's just not the right time. Cryptic doesn't have the manpower to do it yet. So don't try. Either release it in installments of 10 levels every Season or just wait until it's a possibility. People have said "Oh no! We're getting another half finished Klingon Faction!" A faction that was supposed to be full but due to Atari pushing, was released as PVP only. Problem is, this is NOT a Romulan faction, it's two characters that are likely going to end up being character unlocks flying the ships and using the gear from another faction. So what's the point in making one if you're going to throw the new ships out as lockboxes anyway?

Make a faction, not a quick money spinner that's going to take another 3 years to fix.

If we're still here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I also think it's silly, but I watch a lot of Feds fly alien ships. We'll probably see Fed captains in Borg cubes soon enough.

Well its canon of course (locutus)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Share ships YES!! but put fire birds under them
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zeratk wrote: »
    So this is not an argument [dstahl]! There will be FED-Ships with a full romulan/reman crew, which is nothing else than an technology sellout! FED is sharing military technology! Are you serious? :mad:

Yep, they're now intergalactic arms dealers and with that I guess the Federation's transformation is complete.

They've gone from (Relatively) peaceful explorers in the TV shows, to what we have here - a bunch of gun-toting, shoot first , space cowboys who even go as far as to be rewarded with wall trophies for wiping out 1000 members of a species.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll step back for a second, and offer a compromise...

No C-Store Variants (i.e. no consoles (which is what the real value in most ships are anyway). Then even the fleet ships are just console and boff layout modifications. And nothing above a T4 ship (saves the most powerful of Fed and KDF for their faction).

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    walshicus wrote: »
    1) As if that trait will actually factor in people's decision making.
    2) The "choice" argument goes to absurd ends. Should it be my choice to fly KDF ships in my Fed? Or vice versa. How are you incapable of seeing the need for coherence in what is being called a faction? Why not just go to the logical end of removing all 'fsction' walls. Have everyone flying everything because, y'know, choice.

Unfortunately this boat had sailed long ago with the lock box ships. They've stated that any future faction will follow the template set out by New Romulus, so when they eventually get round to adding the Cardassians/Dominion, you're going to have the same issue of Starfleet; the KDF; and the New Romulan Republic players flying around in their faction "specific" ships, which those players acquired via the lock boxes.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ya, rom liberated borg seem like a no brainier, 1 is the main antagonist for the rom featured episodes. that was a perk for something, life time i believe? i don't want to sound entitled or anything but...

Updates on Vet rewards like andriods/ships in the future too would be good.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry Dan, we don't *want* the "advantage" of being able to fly Fed ships as Romulans. If we wanted that we'd play our Fed captains. Please, please please please get rid of this "feature" before it's too late and the faction is ruined for good.

Visual identity is important. If half of all Romulan characters are in Flavour of the Week C-store Fed/KDF ships, why even bother making a Romulan faction in the first place. By all means make the consoles from C-store ships available cross-faction... But I really don't know how the idea of smudging faction boundaries by allowing ships from one to the other came about, because nobody asked for it... :(

I think you should change "we" in the above quote you "you". It's an OPTION - if YOU (as a Romulan character) don't want to fly a Fed/KDF ship YOU don't have to. Don't go imposing your view on everyone else.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, I couldn't be more excited. I've played some of the content (saving as much as I can for the actual launch) and have had some of the most fun gaming I've ever had in my life. The team has done an incredible job with the Romulan Republic faction and I can not wait till you all get to roll your first Romulan. Prepare for your minds to be blown.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm excited to have watched this game evolve into what it is today from the very first days of game play. I know that there is so much more on the horizon with all the blogs yet to come... based on what you've said we are going to see new blogs nearly everyday. I can't wait for more... I'm just trying to get all my other characters ready for the transition and build my dilithium reserves.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wast33 wrote: »
    only to say it (again): no ship-sharing plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    think about it proper plz...

Agreed. Yes to an exchange of ship/ground equipment, but NO to freely handing out starships to the Romulan Republic.
  • Options
    mastigatormastigator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "I" would imply that he is stating only his opinion... which is inaccurate. Since I, and many other in these forums do not wish there to be any ship sharing, "we" is an appropriate pronoun.

That's the wrong way to go about it. The poster should use I because then everyone reading will know who is actually backing the statement. And if you and many others (some of which already have) can then quote them and say something like "I agree", "This", or "My opinions are in line with the above poster." Otherwise, it is just a random we and there is no way of knowing what that entails.
    For instance, I don't really care if Roms can have access to fleet ships. Other people also feel this way. But if I said "we don't care if Roms have access to FED/KDF ships" then it is a whole new group of we. Then we could all fight through the night saying "We care" or "We don't care."
    So i guess what I'm saying is own up to your opinions and don't try to hide behind some non descript group of "we."
    "They're crying, Jim! I don't know how it happened, but it's good to see." - Dr Leonard McCoy
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So for most it seems to boil down to the starship thing now. Like someone else said, I personally won't care what other people fly, I myself simply won't use fed ships on my Romulans. But if it's such a big deal to some people, maybe Cryptic should really think about restricting them after all. I don't think too many people would be ruffled by that. It would be a sign of compromise to take one step torwards the purists.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    In my federation campaigns, I remember my character doing relief effort to independent Romulan colonies. I was pretty eager in helping out the destitute romulans rebuild, especially if it also meant finally having a chance to improve relations with them.

Therefore, I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of my Romulan captain heavily interacting with the Federation and a specific Federation fleet if any.

I don't care much for the idea of using Federation ships, but I can see how it'd make things easier for lockbox and such. Designing twovariants of an item is likely arduous enough, and saving oneself from having to do three makes sense. It's not really desirable, but I can understand the reason for it.

Personally, I wouldn't use Fed ships with a romulan PC. I'd just switch to a fed character if I wanted to. The current arrangement doesn't stop me... though can't help but feel that if I wanted to get access to Fed or KDF toys, implementing a reputation system to curry their favor would be far more pleasing and consistent.

It's too bad that we won't get Romulan starbases - there's already a few examples in-game... and I felt certain of the 'rightness' in implementing them as upgradeable fleet installations as well. That definitely would've been desirable in my eyes. Mol'Rihan and the general area is nice - I'm at least hoping we'll have a hub zone within the city itself to act as an ESD equivalent. Even access to the Vault for use by Romulans and Remans would've been cool (Memory Alpha equivalent?).

Basically, I'm happy with what it looks like we'll be getting... though I can't shake the impression that with a stronger push, the Romulan Republic couldn't have been better established. It's definitely a decision I hope Cryptic will be inclined to reverse basedon the metrics of the Romulan faction.

I think in the future we could see rommie starbases but from a story perspecitve I think it doesn't make sense early on as they are trying to gather resources to build a city and ships, etc I think as the faction develops, starbases would be a nice addition. I'm happy as well with where everything is headed. I hope if and when a rommie starbase is introduced you will be able to convert a starbase over to it for those that start one under fed or kdf. Maybe it will be a rommie only fleet holding that comes out for a rommie outpost, who knows, only the future can tell.
  • Options
    cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry Dan, we don't *want* the "advantage" of being able to fly Fed ships as Romulans. If we wanted that we'd play our Fed captains. Please, please please please get rid of this "feature" before it's too late and the faction is ruined for good.

Visual identity is important. If half of all Romulan characters are in Flavour of the Week C-store Fed/KDF ships, why even bother making a Romulan faction in the first place. By all means make the consoles from C-store ships available cross-faction... But I really don't know how the idea of smudging faction boundaries by allowing ships from one to the other came about, because nobody asked for it... :(

I wholly agree. The spin isn't fooling anyone. :mad:
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tangolight wrote: »
    Since when is having the devs give people MORE options a bad thing? People have always said in these forums that they should give us the option of choice, not take it away. Nobody is stopping a Romulan faction character from flying only Romulan ships. At no point will you have to fly a Fed/KDF ship, but that option is simply there for those that want it.

If people convince Cryptic to take away a choice that they wanted to give us, that will set a very bad precedent.

It would set the best precedent ever, that Factions should have their own real identities to them and not just be identical with a different colored UI.

We've been permissive with Lockbox ships, but its time we draw a line in the sand, this far and no further!
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    It would set the best precedent ever, that Factions should have their own real identities to them and not just be identical with a different colored UI.

We've been permissive with Lockbox ships, but its time we draw a line in the sand, this far and no further!

Yeah... even the UI is shared... You can choose any UI you want on Tribble now.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think you should change "we" in the above quote you "you". It's an OPTION - if YOU (as a Romulan character) don't want to fly a Fed/KDF ship YOU don't have to. Don't go imposing your view on everyone else.

Agreed. I personally don't care and like having a choice but I'm not going to put those words into everyone's mouth. Spot on.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    DOffs -> i hope it is better than it Sounds.
    KDF and FED DOffing is very different in multiple aspects
    Marauding vs. Diplomacy
    Refugees vs. Prisoners.
    I have hoped for a Romulan Faction to bring some very much needed fresh wind into DOffing.

...i don't like that the Romulans will just get shoehorned into FED/KDF DOffing, i want them to have their own FULL set of DOffs, Assignments and Chains.

Well at least this one line gives me some little hope that SOMETHING is going to happen:
    "We also plan to offer Romulan Republic flavored Duty Officer Missions."
    That sounds like the first real DOff Assignment Expansion since the Dominion Featured Episodes. This one better be good... because "it's been a long time".

And honestly i'm a bit angry that the DOff System has not been expanded with new Assignments on a more regular basis. It's all just Text and Icons... it was designed to be easily expandable without too much Dev Time / Effort / Cost, so why is the only thing that is added regularly to it, the Handcrafted DOff Set in every new LockBox and new C-Store Active Roster Powers every other Month?

The DOff System was fun under Heretic because it was constantly evolving, but since he moved on from Cryptic it just isn't the same anymore.

Why can't i shake the feeling that if Heretic was still around that the Romulans would have gotten the full DOff treatment?
    And those "Romulan Republic flavored Duty Officer Missions" would have been around since last Season when New Romulus and Tau Dewa were introduced.
    Instead of just exploiting the DOff UI for Eppoh Crafting.

But the thing that annoys me the most about this is, that even if Cryptic decides in future Seasons to expand the Romulan Faction to have more unique stuff (i mean this is just the starting point, right? and they are already way ahead of the KDF at launch 3 years ago, you have to start somewhere!) that IF Romulans get the full DOff treatment later, how would you be able to separate the existing FED + KDF DOffs to be Romulan... the Items in the Players Roster!

You can't just press a button and turn the players inventory into Romulan DOffs, those are Static Items that can only be used by one Faction.
    Any other items (like Fleet Weapons etc.) you would just keep what you've bought already, just the access via Vendors would be removed / changed to ROM side with a ROM Starbase, but DOffs are Faction Specific, once you got Blue or Red DOffs you can't just turn them over to Green.
    Sure you CAN have a full Romulan / Reman DOff Crew, but it is more likely that most will have just a random bunch of FED + KDF Species DOffs.

... i'm not sure if Cryptic is planning ahead enough in this case.

I'm less angry than i am worried about this.

+1

how is CBS even still OK with this?

they didn't like the idea of too many Alien ships above ESD... (at least that was what geko told us a year ago as explanation for the LockBoxes)

and now Romulans can just have everything orbiting their new Planet?

i see 2 things happening here:

#1 we run out of new FED ships to sell so we need a new faction to sell new Romulan ships for the next few years
    #2 we can not make enough ships for a full faction to start, so we need to make FED/KDF ships available as alternatives + as bonus we hand out all the FED/KDF specific +1 consoles so we can keep the PvP balance somewhat intact.

BUT then you loose the chance to cash in on new C-Store Ships with new Consoles...
    isn't that the whole (financial) reason for the 3rd faction? to sell more Ships?

maybe they think that new Players will just go in there and buy FED/KDF ships when they get bored with their Romulan Warbirds?
    So for new Players there is plenty of C-Store stuff to buy... lots of money to make...

hmm... i mean it makes sense to keep the balance by making the Consoles available, but the Ships too? I don't like it. Next thing we see is an alliance between Fed + KDF when the war is over and we have FEDs swoop around with Birds of Prey and Battlecloaks soon after... that would make just as little sense as Romulans in Vor'chas or Sovereigns...

NO!
    DO NOT LIKE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd have much rather had new Romulan/Starfleet and Romulan/KDF hybrid ships to fly. Rick Sternbach once commented that some of his design choices for the Vor'cHa-class attack cruiser, was based around the idea that Starfleet and the KDF had been sharing technology due to their alliance.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It just doesn't make sense.

How many war fronts does the Federation have now? We at war with everybody. But we're just going to give starships to Romulans because we are nice guys who support their cause.

Weapons, sure. Help, sure. But not starships. That is dumb.

If you don't have enough Romulan ships for Romulan players, add more ships later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cuzecozecuzecoze Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The line must be drawn here!

And to the person above me, I agree. I've been planning on maining a Romulan since I heard the news, and I'd rather have "too few" ships than what Cryptic is attempting to do.
  • Options
    bd3648bd3648 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this is great yet kdf and feds can only use there own ships same should go for roms unless its for a specific mission... sharing tech is one thing like weapons or cloaks but ships should never be shared even if only the romulans can use them .. on the other hand i see no prob for romulans to share shuttles that alone is different but starships should be off limits ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CAPTAIN There Be Romulans Here !
  • Options
    bd3648bd3648 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It just doesn't make sense.

How many war fronts does the Federation have now? We at war with everybody. But we're just going to give starships to Romulans because we are nice guys who support their cause.

Weapons, sure. Help, sure. But not starships. That is dumb.

If you don't have enough Romulan ships for Romulan players, add more ships later.

you are correct this is great yet kdf and feds can only use there own ships same should go for roms unless its for a specific mission... sharing tech is one thing like weapons or cloaks but ships should never be shared even if only the romulans can use them .. on the other hand i see no prob for romulans to share shuttles that alone is different but starships should be off limits ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CAPTAIN There Be Romulans Here !
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    Everything's great and all and I don't really mind the alliance fact or some other restrictions, but this:

This I find really disappointing. You can't really keep saying with straight face that romulans are their own unique fully-fledged faction while even their duty officer missions are going to be taken from either FED or KDF, with just "plans" of releasing their own doff packs. I find this worse than lack of proper romulan fleets...

Oh well, I guess this means I've got yet another reason to ally myself with klingons, as their doff missions are way better.
    Have you looked at how many Doff missions are actually faction specific? I think less than 1%.... this is just biz as usual.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg