Options

Attention: Is It Time For Sto 2?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reximuz wrote: »
    You are overlooking the monthly stipend that you get as well. Ala carte is better short term, but long term LTS will eventually pull ahead.
    The monthly stipend is low. If you took that same amount of cash and split it between buying features like more character slots, respec tokens and increased bank ... along with buying straight up zen ... you'd be ahead of what the LTS gives you in terms of zen.

The only reason to get the LTS at this stage of the game's lifecycle is you want the perks you can only get from the LTS. Which really aren't that valuable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    So you see, trying to assert that Cryptic are somehow a second rate company merely because they have been bought twice does not work so well when things called "facts" are available.

Fact is, a first rate company wouldn't have been sold this many times.
    Value is a subjective term. What you find valuable could be junk to someone else, and vice versa. Thus your comment is based on nothing more than your own personal feelings, and not any real facts.

Look, it's your 300 bucks. I was just giving you sound advice on how better to spend it on this game. You'd get more out of this game not buying the LTS. But it's your cash to waste. Have at it.
    You are correct in stating that I lack first hand experience with this particular company.
    Exactly.
    Being a Beta tester does not impart wisdom. And a company is more than just its products. It seems you allow your emotional attachment either to your money, or maybe to Star Trek itself, to overshadow common sense.

You're the one claiming empathy with this company and its products. Not me. A great example would be my advice on the LTS. That's not an emotional response. That's just finances. You like this game and want to get the most out of it? Well, use that 300 bucks on the game. But don't waste it on the LTS. Use it to get more out of this game. By spending ala carte. It's your emotional attachment to the game or the company that is blinding you to the better deal. The LTS is not a good deal. It was a risky deal back when the game was starting, but at least it had a chance to payoff. These days? It's your money to waste I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Cryptic didn't "give up" on either of those titles.
    Sure they did. They didn't even keep their staff when NCSoft took over CoH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fact is, a first rate company wouldn't have been sold this many times.
    Bungie. There.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The monthly stipend is low. If you took that same amount of cash and split it between buying features like more character slots, respec tokens and increased bank ... along with buying straight up zen ... you'd be ahead of what the LTS gives you in terms of zen.

The only reason to get the LTS at this stage of the game's lifecycle is you want the perks you can only get from the LTS. Which really aren't that valuable.

I never viewed it as that low actually but that's just me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic didn't "give up" on either of those titles. They sold City of Heroes to NCSoft because NCSoft wasn't involved in the Marvel Comics MMO and didn't want Cryptic splitting their focus to a competing product. It was already under development at the time.

As for the cancellation of the Marvel MMO, that was all Marvel; Cryptic had no say in that, Marvel pulled out when they finally came to believe Cryptic telling them that it wouldn't compete with WoW. And Cryptic didn't "give up" on that game, they retooled it and released it; it's Champions Online.

Very true and correct, also CO is much more a Marvel MMO in it's current form than what Marvel ended up backing...a really bad Diabloesque cash shop game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I never viewed it as that low actually but that's just me
    It's lower than what you'd get if you spent cash straight for the zen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Very true and correct, also CO is much more a Marvel MMO in it's current form than what Marvel ended up backing...a really bad Diabloesque cash shop game.
    Superhero Squad Online isn't like Diablo at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wait do people still play champions online? really?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sure they did. They didn't even keep their staff when NCSoft took over CoH.

Some decided to remain with Cryptic and some decided stay with NCSoft and City of Heroes - from what I remember reading - more of them actually moved on with Cryptic to work on MUO then stayed with NCSoft. Funny thing is a good number of those same folks are back working with Cryptic (and on STO) after NCSoft closed City of Heroes and disolved Paragon Studios.

If Cryptic was such a bad company/place to work, I kind of doubt those who left would come back, eh?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it's extremely unlikely lol and you know something every mmo has bugs :P if they made a sto2 it would have wait for it... bugs!!!
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited March 2013
    How about we put the kibosh on talk of STO2 unless Cryptic messes on the expansion? I think if they execute on the expansion with a full 1-50 Romulan / Klingon faction it will revitalize the game.

Every MMO starts out relatively small and lacking in content / end game / grids. STO has accumulated tons of stuff over the years and we would lose all of it. Let's not forget the massive amount of bugs that infest a brand new release.

I understand the old timers are getting a little tired of the game. Why not take a little break and come back in 1 or 2 months? Maybe I am a little naive but STO has me excited again. I just need to make sure I don't burn out on it.

Now back to grinding fleet actions for purple gear / EC ... ;)
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    How about we put the kibosh on talk of STO2 unless Cryptic messes on the expansion? I think if they execute on the expansion with a full 1-50 Romulan / Klingon faction it will revitalize the game.

Every MMO starts out relatively small and lacking in content / end game / grids. STO has accumulated tons of stuff over the years and we would lose all of it. Let's not forget the massive amount of bugs that infest a brand new release.

I understand the old timers are getting a little tired of the game. Why not take a little break and come back in 1 or 2 months? Maybe I am a little naive but STO has me excited again. I just need to make sure I don't burn out on it.

Now back to grinding fleet actions for purple gear / EC ... ;)

i agree with this. i know sto isnt perfect but its better then nothing.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Superhero Squad Online isn't like Diablo at all.

Superhero Squad Online also isn't what he was talking about, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Superhero Squad Online also isn't what he was talking about, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.
    He said the Marvel MMO. Super Hero Squad Online is the Marvel MMO. That's why I brought it up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    /giggle

Always entertaining to watch people think they understand what goes on in a game development studio. They tend to think they know all the answers, can solve all the problems, point out all the flaws...

You don't know Jack.

Cryptic may well be the worst game company ever created, and they still would have more knowledge and accomplishment then the people that get on the forums that that company owns and complain about them...

It would be hilarious to see these people in a development situation. They wouldn't last a week.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kimmym wrote: »
    You don't know Jack.
    I met Emmert at a comic convention years ago. He was there to plug City of Heroes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    He said the Marvel MMO. Super Hero Squad Online is the Marvel MMO. That's why I brought it up.

No, it's not. Super Hero Squad Online is *A* Marvel MMO, but it is not the one he was talking about, that recently concluded beta testing, launches June 4th, was created by the guy who created Diablo and Diablo 2, and has been described by its creators as "Diablo-like".

You brought up SHSO in taking him to task for describing MH as "Diablo-like". :)

Marvel Heroes is the game that Marvel commissioned Gazillion to make, when Cryptic kept stubbornly insisting that it was unrealistic to expect WoW-like subscriber numbers for the one they were making. Marvel execs were on record as stating that they expected that game to be "successful" and that there was only one other "successful" MMORPG, and Cryptic kept telling them "we're not going to do WoW numbers with this, no matter how much you keep saying it". Once they were convinced, they decided Gazillion could do WoW numbers.

Then when Gazillion gave them the reality check too, they decided to put their tail between their legs and make it F2P.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    No, it's not. Super Hero Squad Online is *A* Marvel MMO, but it is not the one he was talking about, that recently concluded beta testing, launches June 4th, was created by the guy who created Diablo and Diablo 2, and has been described by its creators as "Diablo-like".

You brought up SHSO in taking him to task for describing MH as "Diablo-like". :)

Marvel Heroes is the game that Marvel commissioned Gazillion to make, when Cryptic kept stubbornly insisting that it was unrealistic to expect WoW-like subscriber numbers for the one they were making. Marvel execs were on record as stating that they expected that game to be "successful" and that there was only one other "successful" MMORPG, and Cryptic kept telling them "we're not going to do WoW numbers with this, no matter how much you keep saying it". Once they were convinced, they decided Gazillion could do WoW numbers.

Then when Gazillion gave them the reality check too, they decided to put their tail between their legs and make it F2P.
    Super Hero Squad Online is an actual MMORPG. Which is also F2P. That Gazillion thingamajig is what Jack Emmert would call an OMG. Not even in the same league.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Bumped for a possible thread merge.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Why would this topic merge with another thread? This is the only one I see that's discussing the possibility of a sequel to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No sequel MMO has even done half as well as the original, I don't see why anyone would make a STO2 just for that reason.
  • Options
    captainhologramcaptainhologram Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    STO 2?

Just license EVE and change the ship models.
    =/\= ==================== =/\=
    William Sinclair, USS Andalusia
    Exploration Division, Alpha Squadron
    12th Fleet, United Federation of Planets

=/\= ==================== =/\=
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wildweasal wrote: »
    We all know of the bug problems this game has as well as the limitations that the devs have run into as far as the engine goes etc etc. I mean for those that follow guild wars it was a game that had a huge following and while ok it had flaws so they decided scrap it take what worked used better systems and of course they had more time as this was the sequel rolled it all up into a big ball added some pepper and wala Guild Wars 2

This is COMPLETELY inaccurate - in every possible way.

Did Guild Wars have bugs now and again? Yes. But when they were identified they were fixed in about 24 hours without the severs having to come down for hours on end. Guild Wars never had a server queue. Guild Wars' launch - Prophecies and all expansions - was the smoothest I have ever experienced in any MMO. In 7 years of playing Guild Wars, I can recall only two times they had to take the servers down for "emergency maintenance" - and we were warned 30 minutes ahead of time, and the servers were back up within 30 minutes both times.

They did not decided to take Guild Wars 2 and "scrap it" because it had flaws. They wanted to do more things (like jumping and swimming) that the existing engine couldn't do. So they made an entirely new game (which I think is horrible, frankly) that is set 250 years in the future of the Guild Wars universe.

Guild Wars is also not a "was." It's still live and played concurrently with Guild Wars 2.

The same would definitely not be said about STO if a STO2 ever came out and was, well, what STO SHOULD have been three years ago (when it suffered its disastrous launch where the servers were actually down more than they were up).

Comparing STO to Guild Wars is an incredible insult to Guild Wars.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stelakkh wrote: »
    Guild Wars is also not a "was." It's still live and played concurrently with Guild Wars 2.

Considering GW is officially in maintenance mode, you may want to reconsider that statement.

But you'll probably want to do it in a thread that you didn't necro.
  • Options
    donutsmasherdonutsmasher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stelakkh wrote: »
    This is COMPLETELY inaccurate - in every possible way.

Did Guild Wars have bugs now and again? Yes. But when they were identified they were fixed in about 24 hours without the severs having to come down for hours on end. Guild Wars never had a server queue. Guild Wars' launch - Prophecies and all expansions - was the smoothest I have ever experienced in any MMO. In 7 years of playing Guild Wars, I can recall only two times they had to take the servers down for "emergency maintenance" - and we were warned 30 minutes ahead of time, and the servers were back up within 30 minutes both times.

They did not decided to take Guild Wars 2 and "scrap it" because it had flaws. They wanted to do more things (like jumping and swimming) that the existing engine couldn't do. So they made an entirely new game (which I think is horrible, frankly) that is set 250 years in the future of the Guild Wars universe.

The same would definitely not be said about STO if a STO2 ever came out and was, well, what STO SHOULD have been three years ago (when it suffered its disastrous launch where the servers were actually down more than they were up).

Comparing STO to Guild Wars is an incredible insult to Guild Wars.

ZOMBIE THREAD!!! Way to go reviving this dead thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sig by my better half.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know wether this thread is still active or not, but if they just take everything they did in STO and just port it to another engine then please no, not again waste the opportunity to create a persistens online Star Trek world. If they don't make it a lunch break F2P space grinder and instead develop an actual persistent and COHERENT gaming experience (including to have the balls to RESTRICT players in some ways) then I'd pay again for STO2.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    streakfury#2432 streakfury Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    STO 2 built on CryEngine3... I could say yes to that. :D

But I'd rather see a nice fat patch that addresses all of the current bugs, than have Cryptic build a new game. A new game would be good in the long term, though, but not for a few years.

---post above is st34kfury's---

EDIT: Closed for necroing an old thread. Remember, if a thread has been inactive for 30 days, you should not post to it. Feel free to create a new thread on the subject if you would like to discuss further :) ~BranFlakes
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz / 16Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz / GeForce GTX1060 6Gb / Corsair Glaive / Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
This discussion has been closed.