test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update on Fleet Marks and Dilithium

Comments

• species4228species4228 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My fleet is looking to do the same as a lot of others. We are stopping at tier III on the starbase and Tier II on the embassy. Everyone is tired grinding the same TRIBBLE over and over. Some of our fleet members have left and formed a guild to play swtor and some are leaving and going EVE where they say they get something for their grind. Everyone feels like there is nothing to do in this game now until the next update and even then I'm not sure who will come back if it's not something spectacular that's not another grind recreation.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    172 pages and still no comment from dev team this is not a good thing devs

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • littlemonchichilittlemonchichi Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *sight*...give us just an easy fleetmark source.
    ok, you take away again the dilithium, but the fleetmark amounts you need is for small fleets inpossible!!

you need 40-50 fleetevents for ONE daily project at TIER III.

this is not funny anymore! :(
    "Be excellent to each other and Party on Dudes!"
  • thebumblethebumble Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Quicklink to the post on MMORPG.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5571933#5571933

Still no word from the Devs eh?
  • tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's Monday morning, and I'm still not playing your game. I still have no intention of playing your game until this situation is satisfactorily addressed, and every moment I might possibly be playing your game I will be sitting right here... on this thread. Carry on.
  • littlemonchichilittlemonchichi Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's Monday morning, and I'm still not playing your game. I still have no intention of playing your game until this situation is satisfactorily addressed, and every moment I might possibly be playing your game I will be sitting right here... on this thread. Carry on.

*thumbsup*
    "Be excellent to each other and Party on Dudes!"
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,691 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    smallrouge wrote: »
    I think the issue here is that prior to the change it was a case of the bucket being filled more slowly... now someone shut off the main line. Nearly every person who has spoken about their small fleets has recognized it would take them many times as long to upgrade the base. 2-3 years even. Someone spoke of it as a labor of love. Right now, when those big fleets are already at or very near max Tier and are best equipped in terms of (wo)manpower to overcome the sudden FM reduction, they stand on the hose and staunch the flow and it is the little fleets bringing up the rear that are cut off at a low to mid level Tier.

Yes, I agree. It might have been slow before. Damn near impossible now.

I made some suggestions as to how Cryptic might be able to revamp rewards which includes making Fleet Marks more accessible.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Looks like the cheerleaders over at Massively have weighed in...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/18/captains-log-star-trek-onlines-foundry-foibles/

Completely ignoring the Starbase angle to boot. Not that it's actually a surprise.
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From the patch notes:
    • A fleet event can be set repeat to at most 10,000 times.
      • Which if the event occurs every day until then, will put the ending time sometime mid 2040.

That's so we can schedule our daily fleet grinds. We'll get those T5 starbases, but it might take a few decades.
  • giaranagiarana Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just thought that I'd link the Tribble reaction to the changes over there, it pretty much echoes the feelings here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=549851
    HOMO SAPIENS NON URINAT IN VENTUM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    =/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
    Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/18/captains-log-star-trek-onlines-foundry-foibles/

Completely ignoring the Starbase angle to boot. Not that it's actually a surprise.

That's a shameful post.

Anyone that considers the 'clickies' or the 'grinder' missions that followed them 'exploits' is missing the bigger picture - heck, even Stahl doesn't call them exploits:
    Dan Stahl wrote:
    Concurrently, we also closed a major loophole in Foundry missions in Season 7 which removed Dilithium rewards from what many considered "exploitative" Foundry missions (literally "log in click a button" get a boat of Dilithium).

Instead, he let the community do his dirty work for him.

Cryptic created and deployed the tools, Cryptic set the rewards knowing full well these things were exploitable and now it's turned the community against itself.

I normally enjoy Terilynn's articles but either she really is that naive or she's flying around in shiny new JHAS courtesy of Cryptic because that's some of the most delusional 'reporting' I've ever read from her.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • smallrougesmallrouge Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    giarana wrote: »
    Just thought that I'd link the Tribble reaction to the changes over there, it pretty much echoes the feelings here.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=549851

Ok you know what? Now I am ANGRY. I had never seen that thread before (thanks for the link) but now I realize that pretty much every concern we have been voicing here was already voiced to the powers that be along with plenty of warnings that a forum war would ensue. Yet we still get a post from Dan saying this move "needed to happen" and they went ahead with it, without a THOUGHT to the concerns of the players. Without a PAUSE to weigh alternatives to this ill-considered patch.

Off to revive my characters on SWTOR.
    edited February 2013
    Ok you know what? Now I am ANGRY. I had never seen that thread before (thanks for the link) but now I realize that pretty much every concern we have been voicing here was already voiced to the powers that be along with plenty of warnings that a forum war would ensue. Yet we still get a post from Dan saying this move "needed to happen" and they went ahead with it, without a THOUGHT to the concerns of the players. Without a PAUSE to weigh alternatives to this ill-considered patch.

This shouldn't come as a surprise - this is exactly the same as when Season 7 was on Tribble for testing - Cryptic simply don't listen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2013

This happened with every bug in the game, they release it to tribble, we find and report them, cryptic ignores those reports and they go live. :rolleyes:

This has been going on since launch, the only thing with this latest debacle, is that cryptic knew this was going to happen so only released it to tribble one day before it went live, deliberately... :mad:
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Terilynn is awful at reporting on STO -- she's a complete fangurl and incapable of objectivity. My guess is she's auditioning for Brandon's job should he ever leave. I don't remember sho did the STO column before, but they were a lot better on reporting issues instead of always taking the company line.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Fun gameplay?! What is that?
    Wipe that smile off your face.
    Do you understand?!
    A Fleet Emblem?! On your uniform?!
    What kind of a gamer are you?

We're not gonna take it anymore, Dan.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's a shameful post.

I'll quote part of the text here:

"Until recently, 50 fleet marks were rewarded to players who undertook the repeatable Investigate Officer Report Foundry mission. Since the reward's implementation several months ago, a few exploit Foundry authors created numerous versions of the AFK exploit. Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take. Although Executive Producer Daniel Stahl also referenced rewards data as an additional reason, the team did remove fleet marks as a reward from the mission wrapper and replaced them with a scaling dilithium reward. The wrath has yet to die down."

LOL, so now the propaganda is blaming the Foundry authors after all? Since the data was only an additional reason:rolleyes:
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    izdubar2 wrote: »
    Terilynn is awful at reporting on STO -- she's a complete fangurl and incapable of objectivity. My guess is she's auditioning for Brandon's job should he ever leave. I don't remember sho did the STO column before, but they were a lot better on reporting issues instead of always taking the company line.

I've had my running's with Terilynn before and she has little love for forum posters, especially those who "complain" about STO.

I'm sure she likened us to 12 year old or something and it cause a ruckus on here.

Here views are total blinkered and she doesn't upset the apple cart for fear of not getting the free trips to Cryptic or the other things we don't see.

Was expecting her column to say she agrees with the changes so she hasn't let me down...;)
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
    edited February 2013
    gr4v1t4r wrote: »
    LOL, so now the propaganda is blaming the Foundry authors after all? Since the data was only an additional reason:rolleyes:

Well it clearly can never be Cryptic's fault...
  • tjexcimer500tjexcimer500 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And as much as I hate to admit it, Cryptic did what it needed to do. It needed to take away the reward for making the exploit missions. That's all it can do.

No they didn't NEED to take away the reward and punish everyone including those foundry authors who created what you consider to be non-exploit missions. Instead, all it needed to do was outline what is considered to be an exploit mission and then when it is reported, investigate and remove them. Just like f-missions that include the image of actors, or swearing. It gets reported and it gets removed.

"That's all it can do"...
    Rah-rah-rah zip-boom-bah
    Oh Please. They can do so much more with this franchise and its dedicated customer base.
    Instead this is what they choose to do. Reap what you sow. Just like last time they were warned in threads on Tribble not to do this; that they would disenfranchise their customers; and did they even give it a second thought?

No, it went live two days later. No play-testing, no listening to their customers. Rushed out on a holiday weekend - on purpose.

No compromise. Restore the FM and Dilithium to the F-missions (yes folks, they reduced the dilithium reward - a 15 min mission now rewards 300 less). While you're at it, restore the normal, sane, dilithium costs to reassigning DOffs.

Happy customers will be paying customers.
    There are Four Lights... say no to ARC
    Fleet: 1st Order of Role-Players' Guild - gaming together since 2004
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

"Until recently, 50 fleet marks were rewarded to players who undertook the repeatable Investigate Officer Report Foundry mission. Since the reward's implementation several months ago, a few exploit Foundry authors created numerous versions of the AFK exploit. Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take. Although Executive Producer Daniel Stahl also referenced rewards data as an additional reason, the team did remove fleet marks as a reward from the mission wrapper and replaced them with a scaling dilithium reward. The wrath has yet to die down."

She did say "legitimate missions" so they are not being blamed IMO they are being made out to be the poor innocent parties.
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    From

"The problem is more complicated than most players comprehend."

This 174 pages are the proof that Therilynn Shull is right.
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Well she has at last done one thing, given another forum for people to air their grievances. She's getting pelters...:)

Noticing a lot of first timers posting not just on here,but on her thread...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • tehburnsteptehburnstep Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No they didn't NEED to take away the reward and punish everyone including those foundry authors who created what you consider to be non-exploit missions. Instead, all it needed to do was outline what is considered to be an exploit mission and then when it is reported, investigate and remove them. Just like f-missions that include the image of actors, or swearing. It gets reported and it gets removed.

"That's all it can do"...
    Rah-rah-rah zip-boom-bah
    Oh Please. They can do so much more with this franchise and its dedicated customer base.
    Instead this is what they choose to do. Reap what you sow. Just like last time they were warned in threads on Tribble not to do this; that they would disenfranchise their customers; and did they even give it a second thought?

No, it went live two days later. No play-testing, no listening to their customers. Rushed out on a holiday weekend - on purpose.

No compromise. Restore the FM and Dilithium to the F-missions (yes folks, they reduced the dilithium reward - a 15 min mission now rewards 300 less). While you're at it, restore the normal, sane, dilithium costs to reassigning DOffs.

Happy customers will be paying customers.

The line you quoted is my biggest exception to the article in question. Cryptic didn't do what they needed to do. They OVERDID what they needed to do, and more over, they did it in a sneaky, underhanded, not even terribly imaginative way.
  • gr4v1t4rgr4v1t4r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    She did say "legitimate missions" so they are not being blamed IMO they are being made out to be the poor innocent parties.

Ehm, you don't genuinely believe it works that way do you? They are pointing a finger and saying "It was their idea!". Of course they don't "blame" them, and I know better, but a large group of people will see that post and rage at the Foundry authors in general. Sad part is that it was only a few of the Foundry authors, and now they are all thrown on a big heap of angry Foundry authors.
    Lost and Delirious... and Disenchanted too
    Apparently some forum posters have diplomatic immunity nowadays, where can I get mine?
    askray wrote: »
    Expressing my opinion isn't trolling but nice try. Besides, if I was you wouldn't know it ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic faced an outcry from the Foundry authors whose legitimate missions were being shoved aside in the ratings list in favor of those with the easy take.

And who decides what the 'legitmate' missions are? Since Cryptic has shown no interest in policing this aspect of the Foundry (and nor should it), the players decided - and they decided that the rewards of doing a quick shooty mission were more worthwhile than investing their time in the 'legitimate' story missions - and given Cryptic's mission to cut off as many sources of in-game revenue as possible, who can blame them?

Foundry missions should have zero rewards - the reward should be in playing user-generated content if that's what you enjoy. If the Foundry dies because of that, then I guess people just don't want to play these missions.

Fleet Marks are too valuable and necessary a commodity (thanks to Cryptic making them so) to attach to something like Foundry missions - they needed to be added in quantities that feel like a reward and not a punishment elsewhere in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Foundry missions should have zero rewards - the reward should be in playing user-generated content if that's what you enjoy. If the Foundry dies because of that, then I guess people just don't want to play these missions.

Considering that it's been strongly implied Cryptic plans to outsource content production to the Foundry, I don't see them letting that happen.
  • bizzarquestionbizzarquestion Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Foundry originally had no rewards, this includes item drops. They were added because, who wants to play content with zero rewards? Especially with the grindfest this game has become having content with zero rewards is a sure way to get it killed.

Anyway...Good morning! Keep up The Good Fight!
  • izdubar2izdubar2 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And who decides what the 'legitmate' missions are? Since Cryptic has shown no interest in policing this aspect of the Foundry (and nor should it), the players decided - and they decided that the rewards of doing a quick shooty mission were more worthwhile than investing their time in the 'legitimate' story missions - and given Cryptic's mission to cut off as many sources of in-game revenue as possible, who can blame them?

Or how about this CRAZY idea. Player generated content can be whatever a player wants as long as it adheres to all the legal mumbo-jumbo and the objective "time qualification" standard already set. Content made by players in MMOs is still in its infancy, but if game companies and players want to see it grow and used in more titles, this obsession with governing "legitimacy" as a cloak for personal preference has to be abolished.
    How MMO companies reach for the stars: "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre."
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This quote from that Massively author to a post really got me laughing:

"Exploits just hurt all of us by ruining a great reason to play foundry. End of story."

Holy TRIBBLE, grinder authors now have the power to prevent us from playing other missions :rolleyes:
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
This discussion has been closed.