What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback about 3yr Party Popper and Balloons

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I mean... it's a cool idea, but I forsee it getting old really quickly.

It annoyed me from the moment i logged in after the update.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ussberlin wrote: »
    after 3 ground party popper its time for a new space party item not only the firerworks

I can see us getting automated fighters that preform the Kolvoord Starburst in space.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    eizen745eizen745 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I can see us getting automated fighters that preform the Kolvoord Starburst in space.

And every time they do, it should randomly kill one one of the DOFFs you assign to do it, and if you get a critical, it destroys the whole team! Just like Tom Paris. Then your character would be court martialled (read:deleted) for being irresponsible and ordering a banned flight maneuver demonstration.
  • Options
    logicalspocklogicalspock Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The party poppers can be annoying, but if your computing power is insufficient to handle the load you have the ability to fine tune the options or even disable the balloons entirely.

Other than the "tribble gun", this is my favorite party popper ever.

Good jobs to those putting in long hours at Cryptic and happy third anniversary.
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    people usually use them in social zones. The emphasis is on word usually. I doubt anyone has time to use it in STF, or if someone uses it then you got a problem guy in your team
    They don't cause lag, at least not for a mid-to-high end system.
    You don't miss much if a balloon is in your way in a social zone, unless you like to stare and focused at one point.

But I would really love to have a needle to pop them out, just for fun.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    notapwefan wrote: »
    They don't cause lag, at least not for a mid-to-high end system.

i have a pretty good system, probably better than the average player and usually they are fine. until i found someone filled up DS9 cargo hold with about a hundred and then even mine started to struggle.

perhaps they just need a shorter life cycle. so they dont stick around too long.
  • Options
    collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    notapwefan wrote: »
    I doubt anyone has time to use it in STF, or if someone uses it then you got a problem guy in your team...

Umm. Well, I've been known to shoot off some fireworks in an STF while popping all my other buffs. Sometimes by accident, sometimes as a joke. I'm pulling my weight, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • Options
    synkr0nizedsynkr0nized Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    But the fireworks are both amusing/neat and have a very short activation time without affecting cooldowns.

The ground-based party poppers go one for a couple seconds wherein you could be doing something else. Perhaps I should use mine more often in STFs.
    _______
    equal parts cynical and helpful
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had to turn "max physics objects" down to 25 (from 100). That's the first time I've had to turn down a setting in STO. So thanks, Cryptic.
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, Balloons forever!
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Every time I see someone moan about Balloon Party Poppers, I'll pop some more.

Besides, if you hate it so much, then lower your physics setting to its lowest setting. When I had it to that, I wasn't seeing anything.

In fact, at first I thought the damn thing was broken.

I then made sure to jack up the setting to 100 or so, just for the Balloon Party Popper.

If you can't handle social interaction, even silly stuff, then avoid the social zones and use Transwarp to avoid all social contact. Also make sure to set yourself completely anonymous as well! Can't have pesky humans bother your RPing. lulz. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zefremezefreme Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes! I am having lag problems as well. The problem is that I don't think you can store the balloons locally as they spawn new sizes every time. That aside, this is certainly the most annoying thing about this game atm. Their a nuisance that just needs to go. I left SL because of the lag and griefers. By putting this in the game your just encouraging them, don't feed the trolls.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So many party poopers in this thread...wow. Guys, it's just a party popper. Have some fun with it and chill out.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    So many party poopers in this thread...wow. Guys, it's just a party popper. Have some fun with it and chill out.

I kind of feel the same way. Considering that it's been stated many, many times that you can avoid the balloons altogether by setting your max physics debris objects to 0, I don't see what all the fuss is about. You don't have to see the balloons if you don't want to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm not sick of the balloons, I'm sick of

1.) Trolls wasting time making balloons instead of playing in team-based missions

2.) Trolls filling up social zones with balloons to the point that people with low spec hardware are slowed to a crawl, and then saying "It's your fault, you need to upgrade".

So basically, trolls.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its really amazing to me. When will Cryptic ever learn that there is a certain segment of the population that is absolutely guaranteed to troll others. Gift wrapping the tools to do so is just...wow, really Cryptic? Did you learn nothing from the Breen grenade?

You know there's a problem, and the solution is not telling people to turn down settings to avoid a problem you created.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The balloons are fun. :)

All the complaints about them are the same sort of complaints from last year's party poppers. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    chalpen wrote: »
    They shouldn't be around the transporter room.
    Extremely dangerous for those being transported.

Indeed. Remember Neelix and Tuvoc? Now imagine you merging with a balloon..
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    chaddeanmumpowchaddeanmumpow Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »

I agree with this post. The Devs have done a very good job with this game compared to SWTOR. People shouldn't have much to whine about.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know if its been mentioned here yet, but if you go into video options and find the setting for "Max Physical Debris" and set it to 0 you can remove all the balloons, and won't experience any lag from them.

I found 10 worked for me. It defaults to 100.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't know if its been mentioned here yet, but if you go into video options and find the setting for "Max Physical Debris" and set it to 0 you can remove all the balloons, and won't experience any lag from them.

I found 10 worked for me. It defaults to 100.

This. The solution is in your hands, party popper poopers.

Nobody's saying spend more money on your box; but use the settings to make what you have work. Games progress in their requirements over time; what worked last month might not work this month.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    smallaxe33smallaxe33 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You know that old guy that lives by the school that yells at all the kids that walk by his house because they walked on his wall or stepped on his grass? Ever wonder how that guy got like that? This is how it starts.

There are 2 types of people in the world. One kind that can see others having fun and be happy for them even if it's not something they find particularly amusing. Those are the people that are here offering ways to minimize the inconvenience and go about enjoying the game.

The other type are folks who think that the world should conform to them and because they don't find something amusing; no one else should enjoy it. These are the people that come here with 5 year old computers yelling at everyone to get off their lawn, err.. stop blowing up balloons because it lags them out. Sad really.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Agreed.

I'm still having a ton of fun with the popper. No nerf will ruin my fun!

I always found them silly to be honest, but until the balloon popper didn't really use them.

The possibilities for games with these kind of physics objects are limitless.

I wish Cryptic would introduce some types of games besides Dabo and the races.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hate these things,

i don't know why they keep giving out obviously troll geared items lol yearrr after yearrr. Give me something useful! An anniversary weapon would be a useful thing!

Its so annoying when people start filling up a room with them.
    :eek:
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To all the party poopers and low spec machines, if your town has a holiday parade, do you still try to drive down the main drag? No, you go around and you go somewhere else for the time being if you do not want to take part in the festivities. Yes, there will be those individuals who will take it too far, but don't ruin other people's fun. There are so many other places for the bank, the exchange, the ship selector, and the tailor why go to the places you know will ruin your game time?
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Obvious 12 year old trolls, crying about the removal of a griefing tool. :rolleyes:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    janusforbearejanusforbeare Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some people just can't chill out and have fun.

"This is Star Trek! It's supposed to be super duper cereal! Pshaw!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Obvious 12 year old trolls, crying about the removal of a griefing tool. :rolleyes:

The only 12 year olds are those crying about something that can be trivially dealt with by turning down the physics setting to 0 in their client.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plox21plox21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    but why will i set my game settings right when i can whine that everything create lag :D.

and this thread should be renamed to " is anyone else getting sick of the new party popper cry-babys already " , because after reading all of this nonsence i feel sick:P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    plox21 wrote: »
    but why will i set my game settings right when i can whine that everything create lag :D.

and this thread should be renamed to " is anyone else getting sick of the new party popper cry-babys already " , because after reading all of this nonsence i feel sick:P.

word-up to that. so much fun has been taken away from us because of the whiners. gear nerfs, foundry, and even the things that are only there for fun. i say, off with their heads. or maybe Q could turn them all into paramecia for a while to teach them a lesson about being a baby.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu