test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Feedback about 3yr Party Popper and Balloons

Comments

• kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have no lag or framerate slowdowns or other, due to the balloons.

Don't blame cryptic for your slow pc, Cryptics graphic engine for STO is hardly stressing, try running Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 at maxed out graphics settings on a large display :p

I can run far cry 3 at maxed out graphics, I get balloon lag and my system is clean. I can run everything else in STO perfectly with all the settings maxed but these balloons can exceed what the engine is meant to handle and something like that should have never been introduced into the game especially when its something that other players can impose on each other with full knowledge that it can cause problems.

One more thing. There is absolutely no reason I should have to lower my graphics setting in a Star Trek game so somebody can shoot balloons from a gun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kalani2 wrote: »

One more thing. There is absolutely no reason I should have to lower my graphics setting in a Star Trek game so somebody can shoot balloons from a gun.

I shouldn't have to lower my settings to allow people to grief.

This was unacceptable behavior with generator spawning in social areas. This was unacceptable behavior with the bio-thermal dampers.

Why are we allowing this to happen again... but this time it's acceptable and the solution is "lol turn your settings down so griefers can grief."
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My PC is fine that is not the issue. But thanks for the troll.:cool:

When do you want me to show up at your door? :P
    I can run far cry 3 at maxed out graphics, I get balloon lag and my system is clean. I can run everything else in STO perfectly with all the settings maxed but these balloons can exceed what the engine is meant to handle and something like that should have never been introduced into the game especially when its something that other players can impose on each other with full knowledge that it can cause problems.

So far...

THE Moderator of the Forums and a Dev..., have kinda-sorta disagreed with you.
    It's not looking good for your side at the moment.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am having enough of those balloon poppers that I have came to the only one solution possible : No Mr Community Manager, I won't lower my settings for the sake of those fools, but I will report them on the base of your own TOS, section Users Conduct : (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

Pretty clear to me.
    edited February 2013
    I am having enough of those balloon poppers that I have came to the only one solution possible : No Mr Community Manager, I won't lower my settings for the sake of those fools, but I will report them on the base of your own TOS, section Users Conduct : (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

Pretty clear to me.

That would only hold true if it hadn't been the Dev's of Cryptic, that designed and gave us the Poppers to begin with.

As such, They are allowed to 'bend the rules', They created.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    So far...

THE Moderator of the Forums and a Dev..., have kinda-sorta disagreed with you.
    It's not looking good for your side at the moment.

<shrug>

So now were not allowed to have any expectation of being able to buy better hardware to make STO run faster and smother with all the setting turned on.

If this was as simple as my system not being up to the task, lowering my setting would be acceptable but Ive met and exceeded STOs recommended settings more than 4 times over. Now cryptic introduces a bug that effects some people but not everyone and their answer is for us to turn down our setting when the right answer should have been we will fix or remove the issue. This item is far from necessary for the game. It is a stretch at best to make it fit the IP and it could very well be causing more people grief than other people enjoyment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    So now were not allowed to have any expectation of being able to buy better hardware to make STO run faster and smother with all the setting turned on.

If this was as simple as my system not being up to the task, lowering my setting would be acceptable but Ive met and exceeded STOs recommended settings more than 4 times over. Now cryptic introduces a bug that effects some people but not everyone and their answer is for us to turn down our setting when the right answer should have been we will fix or remove the issue. This item is far from necessary for the game. It is a stretch at best to make it fit the IP and it could very well be causing more people grief than other people enjoyment.

The number of people complaining, compared to the number Actually Using the item, should be a rough indicator of where this falls as a priority in the scheme of things.

That being said, you have already had TWO people from Cryptic, give you a simple fix for this dilemma of yours, as well as an indication that you are not being ignored and your concerns are being considered by the Folks who run the game.

Continuing to angst over this for the time being, will only serve to raise your blood-pressure.

Threats and Consternations, while an entertaining read..., accomplish nothing.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The balloon griefing is sad and distracting for other players. The only solution is placing dart monkeys, super monkeys and Tac Towers in the mystery boxes.

Oh, and now we haz balloonz party poppers to take up valuable inventory space with my previous season party items and snowball launchers. (Facepalmz, shakes heads.) we cantz unnerstan.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • karatrillkaratrill Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Tell me then, all you advocates of the balloon guns, what gives an owner of a balloon gun the right to aim it at me and fire continuoulsy in my direction while running around like a mindless baboon? That is griefing, purely and simply. I don't deserve to be griefed. I'm as valid a player of STO as the balloon griefer and I should have the same rights to not be griefed as he/she believes they have to cause grief. And, before anyone states the obvious, I couldn't report them because I was too lagged, and unable to see through the balloon's, to get their name.

As for lowering settings to compensate for lag. Why? Why should I lower settings because some idiot wants to try to crash my game? Not everyone can afford a super computer and those who can't, so long as their machine is within game specs, should not have to reduce their settings to compensate for the uneccessary lag.

Drozana with RP'ers. They have a right to sit at a table and RP without somebody jumping up to dance on the table to deliberately lessen their enjoyment of RP so long as the dancer wasn't on the table first.

It's called common courtesy, something that a large amount of so-called players do not have. And I say so-called players because, if they were true players, they would not be causing the problems that they do.
  • kaelgorkaelgor Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Considering how this thread is ballooning away (pun intended), I will add my 50 cents to this. I just had a very nasty experience in Colony Invasion with a person spamming the popper. I think this social item should act like the non-combat items, and be disabled in a combat situation. Though disabling the ability to blow a balloon while moving would be nice as well. It would get rid of the instant balloons, and allow others to enjoy seeing the balloons form.

I suspect that those who are trying to grief other players have set their max physics objects variable to zero ahead of time. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any griefers left on the stations or missions. They'd all have either crashed to desktop, or lagged beyond being able to fire another balloon.
    edited February 2013
    Why is it that during the Winter Event...,

Everybody & Their Brother/Sister was ecstatic to go Instance Hopping to Gun-Down the Warlord Snowman...

But when it comes a time to Change Instances to get away from some Idiot with a Toy...,

It's suddenly a Major PITA to even consider it ????

:rolleyes:
    edited February 2013
    Why is it that during the Winter Event...,

Everybody & Their Brother/Sister was ecstatic to go Instance Hopping to Gun-down the Warlord Snowman...

But when it comes a time to Change Instances to get away from some Idiot with a toy...,

It's suddenly a Major PITA to even consider it ????

:rolleyes:

Duh! Maybe because those who wanted to shoot at the snowman went to a dedicated instance to do so and didn't affect anyone who stayed behind in ESD.

Changing instances to avoid an idiot with a toy and arriving in a second instance with a second idiot with a toy, ad nauseum, is not going to help matters, is it?
    edited February 2013
    karatrill wrote: »
    Duh! Maybe because those who wanted to shoot at the snowman went to a dedicated instance to do so and didn't affect anyone who stayed behind in ESD.

Changing instances to avoid an idiot with a toy and arriving in a second instance with a second idiot with a toy, ad nauseum, is not going to help matters, is it?

That's a very Negative Attitude for someone who is suposedly just trying to have fun.

I've been all over ESD for the last two days, at all different hours, jumping from Instance to Instance...

I believe if you try it, you'll find that there are several Instances in which the Balloon Count is Substantially Lower...

Plus, if you are being Grief'd..., you'll lose the offending party rather quickly.

Perhaps it would be an opportune moment to stop and realize that the game is something other...,
    ... than your own personal environment...

And that there are ways to avoid being dismayed, simply by choosing a couple of convenient clicks of your mouse, that the Game Designers have provided you with.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, from this back and forth, the correct people who think its wrong to be made to change their computer systems to keep the griefers and their sympathetic forumites from ruining their game experience, it seems the best answer is an anniversary toy that destroys the balloons instantly and takes up even more frame rates, bandwidth and processor power.

Laser Epohhs

Oye. Man, if you people, and I don't give a damn if a dev or whoever said it, can't see what right and what's wrong in such an obvious situation then we might as well pull the plug on everything. Absolutely ridiculous.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The true griefers or what ever you wanna call them, will try do this with or without party poppers. This has been around in online games so far as I can remember.

Just do what someone mentioned earlier and report the true griefer, just don't report by accident if you see a clown throwing up..

Having read through this thread again, I'd guess the celebrations will be over by the time some of you guys leave the forums and log back into the game. Jebus.

*Renames thread to Party Poppers vs Party Poopers*
    signwidrona.png
  • crazy6665crazy6665 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lets see you can go to the veteran station like no one on it k-7 deep space 9 doraza station your ship allot more to go to do what you need to do and get away from them pretty easily
    edited February 2013
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Well, from this back and forth, the correct people who think its wrong to be made to change their computer systems to keep the griefers and their sympathetic forumites from ruining their game experience, it seems the best answer is an anniversary toy that destroys the balloons instantly and takes up even more frame rates, bandwidth and processor power.

Laser Epohhs

Oye. Man, if you people, and I don't give a damn if a dev or whoever said it, can't see what right and what's wrong in such an obvious situation then we might as well pull the plug on everything. Absolutely ridiculous.

Changing their computer systems was suggested by only a few of the posts here.

A much simpler and exceedingly less costly solution, was suggested by the People who actually have a greater interest in keeping a majority of the players happy...

The Moderator and a Dev, posted a way to completely eliminate the offending balloons, as a Temporary Solution...

But that seems to have been rejected out-right, as being a means to completely destroy a few folks total enjoyment of the game.

Sometimes..., things are as obvious as they seem, but being ridiculous, is the preferred method of contemplation.
    edited February 2013
    That's a very Negative Attitude for someone who is suposedly just trying to have fun.

I've been all over ESD for the last two days, at all different hours, jumping from Instance to Instance...

I believe if you try it, you'll find that there are several Instances in which the Balloon Count is Substantially Lower...

Plus, if you are being Grief'd..., you'll lose the offending party rather quickly.

Perhaps it would be an opportune moment to stop and realize that the game is something other...,
    ... than your own personal environment...

And that there are ways to avoid being dismayed, simply by choosing a couple of convenient clicks of your mouse, that the Game Designers have provided you with.

You really are a very arrogant person, aren't you? I get griefed so I have to change instances over and over until I find one with a lower balloon count? Really? I mean, it is wonderful that you have fun instance-hopping. It truly is. But I don't. Plus, if I am using the exchange on, say, instance 2 I would like to complete my transaction on the same instance ... not spend several minutes looking for a quieter instance and, possibly, losing an item I wish to purchase.

I know the game is not my own personal environment but, you know what, neither is it the personal environment of a griefer. Griefers are just bully's, Internet Tough Guys who only have an online environment to make them feel on a level with those who are better than them. They are too weak and cowardly to bully anyone in real life so they find their marks online. I pity them, yes, but I also believe they should not be allowed to get away with it. As I said (and you obviously couldn't understand) I should have the same rights to not be griefed as he/she believes they have to cause grief. Do you understand that? Please tell me how that makes me think the game is my own personal environment?

Until you can back up your foolish insinuations please be careful of what you are accusing me of?
  • user839020189287user839020189287 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Clearly the true griefers are the people who think up these lag inducing objects to add to the play experience.

Party hats would have been too easy.

Instead, more smoke, lasers, holograms and a bazillion ballons.

Makes perfect sense.
    "Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
    Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
    edited February 2013
    karatrill wrote: »
    You really are a very arrogant person, aren't you? I get griefed so I have to change instances over and over until I find one with a lower balloon count? Really? I mean, it is wonderful that you have fun instance-hopping. It truly is. But I don't. Plus, if I am using the exchange on, say, instance 2 I would like to complete my transaction on the same instance ... not spend several minutes looking for a quieter instance and, possibly, losing an item I wish to purchase.

I know the game is not my own personal environment but, you know what, neither is it the personal environment of a griefer. Griefers are just bully's, Internet Tough Guys who only have an online environment to make them feel on a level with those who are better than them. They are too weak and cowardly to bully anyone in real life so they find their marks online. I pity them, yes, but I also believe they should not be allowed to get away with it. As I said (and you obviously couldn't understand) I should have the same rights to not be griefed as he/she believes they have to cause grief. Do you understand that? Please tell me how that makes me think the game is my own personal environment?

Until you can back up your foolish insinuations please be careful of what you are accusing me of?

One has to deal with all sorts of inconvenient things when playing an MMO.
    This has been true since their inception.

I do not defend (and never have) anybody who creates an environment in which another player feels uncomfortable and/or annoyed while playing the game.

I understood completely what you were saying and agree that you do have that right.

But, there is a means with which one can deal with these type of situations, though I'll grant you that if your game is lagging, it could at times, be next to impossible to attempt to file a grievance.

None the less, you have been given in this very thread, a temporary means with which you can avoid being caught in a repeat of this type of situation.
    One in which you will also be able to identify and report the offending player.

As for your Exchange transaction, unless you are attempting to purchase an item of which there are very few and cost Millions of EC's (in which case, I personally would not attempt While being grief'd), the likelihood of said transaction still being available after a moment or two of instance hopping, is quite high.

Your anger is quite palatable in your posts and I do not deny that based on your recent experience, you have every reason to be upset...

But you apparently fail to conceive that what you are demanding be done, also impinges on the rights of other 'non-griefing' players in the game, who have been given a new item to use by the games creators and who do so in a non-griefing way.

This is the reason (not accusation) I brought up your seemingly fixation toward having a personal environment in which you alone are the only one being grief'd and have no means to avoid it.
    edited February 2013
    I was upskilling someone's doff on ESD at the club this evening around 1230am East Coast time. The entire game slowed to a crawl, I got this weird slide-show effect and controls stopped responding.

Managed to get out of the club and into another portion of ESD, the weirdness stopped. Went back into the club, weridness.

Something in there is causing severe lagging and slide-showing.

Instance #8 if that makes a difference. Didn't bother to submit a ticket over it.

Anyone else get this weird ultra-lag at this time or was it just isolated to the one instance.
    edited February 2013
    Were there Balloons all over the place?
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They should make the balloons targetable for melee weapons. :D
  • tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As soon as I found out this thing annoys the easily annoyed, I made sure to get one right away. There's got to be more of 500 Dil worth of entertainment right there.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
    edited February 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    They should make the balloons targetable for melee weapons. :D

I noticed that the Tribbles from a previous years Popper bounce off the balloons...

So it must be possible.
    edited February 2013
    No. The room was empty except for me and the other person I was dealing with.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Even if the room was empty, ESD is pretty big, and people spamming an instance can have an effect on everyone in it, regardless of whether they are near them or not.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Stay out of my captains log............:mad:

Well.....He should not leave them lying open in Club 47!! :P
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is it too late to request equipable forks?

These *&#$(@*^ balloons are bogging things down.
  • rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OK I dont want to sound like a killjoy, I think the balloons are a nice touch.

But, biiiig but.

When people let rip with their balloon guns my nice smooooth graphics turns into a slide show so bad that i'm literally going down to an image every few seconds. It's bad really bad.

I never had this before the game is one of the slickest smoothest running games I've had. Ruined by a bunch of balloons of all things. Its so bad when I need to use the bank or mail and people are having balloon fights in the the bank/exchange area I'm forced to change instance or beam to my ship.

I wish we had the old 02 party poppers instead.

:(
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D