What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback about 3yr Party Popper and Balloons

Comments

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I saw someone on ESD with a Flame thrower? Then it spewed something else.

Is there a Flame Thrower Popper?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I saw someone on ESD with a Flame thrower? Then it spewed something else.

Is there a Flame Thrower Popper?

2nd year popper
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I love the poppers, and it's still a party going on....like yesterday a certain Bean filled Dev was hanging out at the fountain, and MY Q, Tribbles, Balloons, flame thrower, clones everything you can spawn it was madness....but not one lag on my end....

but yea it's a party people will get bored of it after ....and only dentists will keep going. ;)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    michaelteiguemichaelteigue Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    danny3098 wrote: »
    i bought a 2400 dollar computer and i experience 0 lag i shouldnt have to stop using my balloon gun cause your on a 200 emachines computer,lower your graphics settings and stop crying and let people enjoy the event

This is an attitude that your parents should have beaten out of you when you were a cub. Listen, rich boy, not all of us can afford $2400 machines. Most of us struggle to get what we have. As somebody else said in an earlier post, why should those of us who have issues with you idiots have to amend our settings, settings that will affect everything we see, so you can cause grief wherever you wish?

People, and this is not directed solely at the quoted poster, who expect the bulk of players to adjust their game settings because they are too immature to use a party popper in moderation have no place in society.
    Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a troll or flame or slur of any other kind towards anyone or anything either directly or indirectly involved in or with, or not involved in or with, Star Trek Online and I proffer my sincerest apologies to anyone who believes it is directed to the aforementioned.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    csgtmyork wrote: »
    Well, IDK about anyone else...... But I would have a blast if they made the balloons target-able and shootable (which means they'd pop). That would be fun.

EDIT: And for goodness sakes. You people are given a really simple solution for the lag, and you're rejecting it? Seriously? WHY? I don't get it. If you hate the balloons you have an option to get rid of them in your menu/options/graphics settings button... It's not that hard. :rolleyes:

Why should people who are happy with the settings they have be expected to change it? I like the settings how they are. I like the effects that they display on my screen. Now you have a new toy and you want everyone else to change their settings so you can play with balloons? That's selfish.

For the record, my 3 year old nephew just grew out of playing with balloons...
  • Options
    kaelgorkaelgor Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    danny3098 wrote: »
    i bought a 2400 dollar computer and i experience 0 lag i shouldnt have to stop using my balloon gun cause your on a 200 emachines computer,lower your graphics settings and stop crying and let people enjoy the event

You must be one of the lucky ones with a fast connection, but what is your framerate? The ray and vertex calculations that are done whenever one of those balloons is spawned, and the translation calculations done as they float around consume a lot of processing power and memory. Even your powerful computer will be overwhelmed with enough of those balloons floating around your screen.

Really, be considerate of those around you. Other players with less powerful systems may not be looking at this thread, and knowing from the devs what option to turn down.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was at ESD and when it was Balloon Heavy my FPS went down to 1 per a second.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Changing my settings to not see ballons, is not a "fix", it is a workaround.

Changing my settings to not see fire suppressant, is not a "fix", it is a workaround.

Neither of which "fixes" the noise they produce. So I have to change my volume setting to not hear them, not a "fix", another workaround.

Why do I have to change my settings to accommodate griefers?

The complaints with these "social items" started long ago, and nothing has been done about them. No Fix has been produced.
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Like every other "grief" toy, players will get tired of it in a few weeks. In the meantime, you could try other social areas to do your business if you are having problems there. You can't make other players stop having fun with your toys, but you can decide where to go. Might be a good enough reason to go to Captain's Table since hardly anyone goes there and has most of the amenities that ESD has.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    +1 get rid of the balloon-guns. Convert them over to something else, reduce the global population of balloons permitted or something.

We didn't tolerate this with the Breen bio-thermal device and generator-spamming. We are not going to tolerate this.

Monday-morning for Tuesday I would like to see a patch addressing this. I shouldn't have to change instances so other people can grief.
  • Options
    fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

The complaints with these "social items" started long ago, and nothing has been done about them. No Fix has been produced.

Yup, today I got to "enjoy" someone elses "love of the popper" at the end of an Into The Hive run. Everything was going fine and dandy until the end, when one of the team put on an EVA suit and started spraying the Queen with ballons instead of fighting.

Antisocial items in combat missions, definately a no-no.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They should make a social zone somewhere like the Captain's Table where you have to go to use these social items that way the only one you can annoy is other like minded people who are trying to annoy you back.

Or they could simply stop giving out griefing items. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, until the dev's see sense and 'fix' the balloon griefers I am not spending any more real money in this game. I can bet that none of the ***** will be taking time off from filling the place with balloon's to spend money so a stupid decision to create an unsociable 'sociable' toy will cost Cryptic some real income. That is just tough! Maybe, one day, they'll see sense. There is no necessity for a party popper toy. The griefers don't even care about STO's anniversary, they just care that a thoughtless design is giving them a way to disrupt people who wish to socialize and/or actually play the game.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
    Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to be a troll or flame or slur of any other kind towards anyone or anything either directly or indirectly involved in or with, or not involved in or with, Star Trek Online and I proffer my sincerest apologies to anyone who believes it is directed to the aforementioned.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly I expect there to be a ****ton of patches leading up to Season 8. Why?

So they only have to release an unlock update to set everything live.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    When Cryptic released Season 6 and Season 7 there were a few unhappy people, stating that there wasn't enough new content and that dilithium was too hard to come by. Cryptic, for the most part, stuck by their guns ploughed through despite the negative feedback as Season 6 and Season 7 were parts of a bigger future. I can see that bigger future as I feel that fleets and reputations are tools that can not only grow of their own accord but provide platforms for other aspects of the game to grow too. They're aspects of the game that still greatly interest me and I devote a lot of time to them.

Now there's a new bunch of unhappy people; the ones that are tired of the game not performing properly because of a new toy. (I'm one of those people.)

The thing is I'm pretty sure that this ridiculous party popper is not part of a grand plan to enhance the game. I sincerely doubt that in Season 11 a great big story arc will come together with an appropriately timed party popper. I doubt that the Borg will be driven back by balloons that for some reason can't be assimilated. A balloon won't block an Iconian Gateway and save the day.

The point I'm making is that there's no real reason to allow the game to continue to suffer with laggy performance that requires multiple stability patches over consecutive days. I'm not saying take them away as that won't be fair to those who are using them responsibly. Responsible people should never be made to miss out because of the behaviour of puerile and immature fools who love to grief. Also, asking people to adjust their settings, settings that I gave thought to in order to maximise my visual enjoyment of a game I've pumped a large amount of money in to is a lame workaround, not a fix.

Cryptic, you need to take responsibility for this situation you've created. As I've mention earlier in this thread, code an option that allows people to turn off the party effects on your screen only. This allows people who enjoy the party items to continue having fun, it allows people to shut them off if they want time to focus on banking, exchange and RP and it also provides protection for people who find themselves being griefed.

There's no reason to not do something about this, Cryptic, save for slackness.
  • Options
    cracobiggleycracobiggley Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    oh the joys of this community...complaints when the game lags...complaints when they try to fix the lag....everyone wins
  • Options
    clz08clz08 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Honestly, I was fine up until the event started. When I saw the balloons I was convinced that it was the problem, and of course, how could the dev's not see that coming? Unless they did the math and figured it wouldn't be a problem for players to mass spawn countless balloons into an area and not have it effect game performance.

To me, it seems most likely that the dev's thought wrong. I've looked into my graphics settings, my PC settings, my lan (router) settings and all the while ignoring the fact my game ran perfectly before the event started (the patches).

So, having looked at the obvious, the changes they made are not friendly to all players -- that much no one can dispute. It just may be a fact of PC gaming life, upgrade or get left behind. A bad decision for most online dev's to be sure.
  • Options
    apocalypsespaceapocalypsespace Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Most of the patches for the last 2 days have been issues to do with server loads, you know, stuff that's hard to test for.

Actually that is not that hard to test for . You run the living hell out of the software with the changes on the test server you look at the logs and the charts indicating CPU , RAM , I/O and Networks usage .

There is a limited amount of resources that the software can take off their cloud/cluster . There is also an average resource usage that users take and there are several types of users and resource usage . This can be anticipated and they can prepare for this .

It's something I've done for year and in the it was just me and a 16 year old volunteer juggling 1200 users across 30 servers . I know that patches can TRIBBLE things up big time . However since they say they have QA and Systems devs this is something that they should do with ease . Why ? Because according to their own statement they don't work on the game engine only on the game itself . So they already have a series of fixed variables .

The file size listed isn't the amount of data they need to download, it's the size of the files they need to patch.

I.e. A 100 MB file recieves 10 KB of new code, it'll still show 100 MB on the top line whereas it'll only download 10 KB for it.

That was the point that the changes are minimal and they don't need to be that big . They should have some sort of patcher that can inject the new code post compiling .

The issues are backend issues with no visible action ingame (except possibly less lag) for the players. You should consider yourself lucky you're getting a patch note for this at all given that.

The fact that the server is off-line is kind of a big issue when trying to play a MMO . As for the lucky part I though that we have a paid community manager who's job is to keep us posted . I we're not entitled to information but when a guy is payed to do just that you kind of expect him to do it . I'm not blaming him I just want to know what was the issue .

We're playing Star Trek Online , tech details are welcomed by the this crowd .
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    themarie wrote: »
    +1 get rid of the balloon-guns. Convert them over to something else, reduce the global population of balloons permitted or something.

We didn't tolerate this with the Breen bio-thermal device and generator-spamming. We are not going to tolerate this.

Monday-morning for Tuesday I would like to see a patch addressing this. I shouldn't have to change instances so other people can grief.

wtf you want cryptic to come to your house and enter in the options menu and turn the max debris option down to zero?
  • Options
    viciouswolf1viciouswolf1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No. I am not sick of the party poppers. It's a celebration of a major accomplishment. All the negativity over a few balloons and minor lag at earth space dock is sad. The folks that work hard to bring us this game and keep it going every day wanted to include us in their anniversary and i think thats awesome. Besides giving out the party poppers is a tradition. The first two years they also gave out party poppers. Its for another what whole week and a half? I think a resonable person can ignore a few other players enjoying the celebration for the very short time thats left. :cool:

Negativity blows and those who are constantly negative over the littlest things have no place in society. Life is for having fun and games are part of that fun. The more someone is negative the less fun their life and games will be.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Put the party popper on your BO go to New Romulus, and when someone tells you to stop, just blame your BO

It's wasn't me it was the one armed man (SCI Borg BO)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Put the party popper on your BO go to New Romulus, and when someone tells you to stop, just blame your BO

It's wasn't me it was the one armed man (SCI Borg BO)

LOL will the BOff actually shoot it?
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    themarie wrote: »

The patch for this was applied three years ago. It's in the Options menu, under Video.

Adjust your settings to something more realistic for your hardware.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    priapus1priapus1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    is anyone else having connection issues??? i cant stay logged into the game. could this be a result of the "bloomin balloons"?
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been feeling like this all day: http://i.imgur.com/7fO9dMm.jpg
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

HAHA! This ^ ;)
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    adrianm63 wrote: »
    wtf you want cryptic to come to your house and enter in the options menu and turn the max debris option down to zero?

This would be pretty sweet.
    nynik wrote: »
    I've been feeling like this all day: http://i.imgur.com/7fO9dMm.jpg

Lol :D
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I frakkin hate the griefers at starfleet academy shooting those damn balloons at the boxes while I'm trying to keep track of the little Q.
    [SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    The patch for this was applied three years ago. It's in the Options menu, under Video.

This is not a realistic fix. As was mentioned earlier by another poster, this is a workaround and one that should have been developed into a fix within the last three years. To have to decrease settings that work perfectly well without the griefers causing their havoc is detracting from gameplay. Those balloon guns should never have been developed, in my opinion, unless it had been alongside a true fix. I paid to play this game. I have played it on my current settings with no problems until the onset of the 3rd Anniversary party poppers which means my settings are realistic for my hardware until idiots start to create the grief that is being caused this weekend. It is an insult to expect those who do not wish to be griefed to adjust their settings. Why, please tell me, are the griefers always allowed to get away with it and a loyal player base is made to suffer. Griefers are not players. They are griefers, purely and simply. Please ask the developers to think before they put things like the current party popper into the hands of children and morons because they are simple and know not what they do. They should be pitied but it is hard to pity one who causes enough grief to prevent the full enjoyment of the game by 'normal' players. Or is the game designed for the full enjoyment of griefers only? It certainly appears that way.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    after 3 ground party popper its time for a new space party item not only the firerworks
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014