What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• Options
    davedonnodavedonno Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is the Star Trek Online Gateway feedback and discussion thread! Please post any comments or feedback you have about the system here!

What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

Feedback

Star Trek Online Gateway is in early Beta, and we look forward to hearing what you think about it. Let us know what you're thinking by commenting below in this forum thread.

If you have technical issues or experience any bugs such as problems using Gateway with your web browser or device, please let us know by posting to this forum thread. Please let us know what operating system and browser (including version numbers) you are using. If you are using a mobile device, let us know which one.

Also, take a glance at the Known Issues below for a list of things we already know about.

Browser Requirements

• Gateway is tailored to work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices supporting HTML5.
    • Gateway has been verified to operate on recent versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It may work on earlier versions of these browsers. It does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
    • Gateway requires the use of cookies.
    • Gateway requires the use of Javascript.

Login Issues

You must log in to a Perfect World account to use Gateway. If you don't have one, you will have to create one first. If you have a Cryptic account, but not a Perfect World account, you will need to create a Perfect World account and link it to your Cryptic account before using Gateway.

Click here to create a new account or link an existing account.

Click here for more information on account linking.

Cookie Usage

• A cookie is used to keep track of your session while you using Gateway. This is a "session cookie" and is not kept after you leave the page.
    • A second, persistent cookie is also used by Account Guard to determine if the particular browser install is authorized for use with your account. This cookie contains no account information.

Known Issues

• Gateway does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
    • Character changes that occur in the client are not immediately updated on the web. You must log out and back in to see the changes.
    • Pictures of bridge officers do not show the officer in their chosen stance.
    • Pictures of ships do not show additions or changes that come from equipment (e.g. Borg equipment, etc.)
    • Though Gateway uses the language preferred by your browser, there is some text that is not yet translated. Gateway supports the same languages Star Trek Online does: English, German, and French.
    • Some players may see their shuttle instead of their ship -- a fix is in the pipeline that will have the Gateway always show your ship.

Cryptic account guard I HATE you so much!!!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway is a great idea looking a bit into the future though can you confirm that:

The Gateway will be a platform for external websites to retrieve STO based info for use on other sites.

I run a website for my fleet which I would love to be able to make a RESTFUL or SOAP web service call to the Gateway to retrieve current info including fleet rank about a certain profile and have my websites Access Control Level updated for that user.

EG:

So Joe.Blog@joeblogs might be a registered handle on my website and he has a website rank of level 1.
    When I promote Joe.Blogs within my fleet that information is available by Gateway and when my site next retrieves that info it then allows a workflow to run that will update the user's rank of my fleet site.

Is the exposure of an API like this a possibility in the future?

That would be awesome. (But stay away from SOAP, it's old and dying. REST would be just fine, and the way to go these days.)

Make it secure by requiring interested users register for appIDs, then restrict those API calls by domain (so they don't get retrieved by other sites) and limit how often the data can be retrieved so developers are "encouraged" to cache the data and not hammer the site with requests. Enable support for multiple fleets (can be useful for KDF branches for example) but limit them to the fleets the user has characters in.

Just some ideas. :P
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Gateway is a nice idea, but I do have problems with my IPod Touch:

I load the page and enter my PWE account information. Save Browser and cookies are activated.

But then I always have to check my E-Mail account for the new activation numbers.

Gets boring while doing this a few times.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I realize this has been brought up roughly 7 billion times (or so I'm guessing, only read 2 pages of this thread), but being able to access and use this for DOFF assignments would be totally amazing. I often log on the full client just for DOFF, but I do have overall limited bandwidth and this would burn far less, over the long term. And it would just generally be a fantastic feature. It would be very welcome.

Although I understand the sentiment and sympathize concerning bandwidth, the Gateway should not be used to facilitate DOff assignments. The Gateway should not be a proxy for actually playing the game ... in my opinion :)

But rather, it should do for DOffs, what it's currently doing: providing a means to overview the DOffs you have.
  • Options
    dazzajdazzaj Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Any ideas on how long gateways current maintenance is going to last, it's been in maintenance since Thursday night, it's now Monday.
    STO Guides for your Android? Yes. Yes we do. STO Guides - Google Play.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    dazzaj wrote: »
    Any ideas on how long gateways current maintenance is going to last, it's been in maintenance since Thursday night, it's now Monday.
    I've noticed the same thing, been looking forward to checking out the new features noted in the last set of release notes
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    dazzaj wrote: »

We hope to have it back up soon :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was looking over the Fleet additions to the Gateway.

In the example of my Fed fleet we have 22 pages of Logs. With the the most recent being displayed at the bottom of page 22. However, the front page of the Fleet screen sports a Recent Events window in the lower-right. This displays the first 3 logs as taken from page 1. Which are considerably older entries.

I'd like to suggest that the Stardate tab for Fleet Logs offer a toggle between standard dates and stardates. We have that choice in-game and it's helpful to be able to swap back and forth between the two.

I do enjoy that we can now click the entries for fleetmates from the Roster tab. Permitting us to view one anothers Captain, Bridge Officer's and Starship's. I think this is the first opportunity that we've had to share - at least those with the details - our
    Bridge Officer biographies. There may be some fun back stories being missed.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Every time I go to this I have to put in the "one time" code again. I guess probably because my laptop uses a portable wi-fi connection.

Not bothering with this until that is changed.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if this is related to the gateway or not, but I had been unable to access my fleets via pidgin/xmpp starting around the time the gateway stuff started.

All my fleets are back ! Good work guys!
  • Options
    crypticpozcrypticpoz Cryptic Developers Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Those of you who have been trying the Gateway Beta know that it's been a rough couple days. We're working hard on fixing the problems as soon as we see them. We truly appreciate the feedback you're giving and appreciate the perseverance it takes to use beta software.

psiameese: Good point on the order of the logs. We'll fix that.

tk79 andlostpinky101: At this time, we're focusing all our energy on making a good

Starting with yesterday's (25 Jan) update, the Account Guard identifier is no longer associated with your IP address. (This means that you may need to enter one more code, and then you'll be in the clear for 30 days or so.) If this isn't the case, let us know.
  • Options
    mrpsychic8472mrpsychic8472 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My computer is able to access the gateway on Firefox, but my phone still gets a message of STO being down.. The only reason I would use the gateway is for my phone to access away from the computer.
  • Options
    oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Manged to get onto the Gateway briefly. The character selection takes an age to pull up the list of characters. Kicked out a number of times, getting the "Gateway s current under maintenance message.

I'm looking at the gateway again because I'm interested in the "Fleet support" and wanted to see what is was like.

What I was hoping was a better view / interface into the Roster. The in-game roster holds 80% of the information that we are interested in for managing a fleet of 200+ registered, but the sorting on the screen doesn't work correctly for anything other than Name and Rank.

It would be useful if the roster screen split out the account name from the character name. This would simplify making sure that all of a member's characters are the same rank. It would also aid in seeing the total fleet contribution an account has made. And please show a larger number of rows. I can copy and parse the HTML to split the name myself, but would need a large number of rows to make that worthwhile.

I got the feeling that the roster screen auto-refreshed, at which point I was kicked out. I wouldn't mind if the auto-refresh was dropped.

What I would love would be an Atom data feed of the Fleet roster and it wouldn't have to be real-time, a 24hr update would be fine.

What would other people like to see on the Roster screen?

Edit: I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with both 32-bit and 64-bit IE9.
  • Options
    stohaydenstohayden Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I was on the gateway and noticed there is now a 'fleet' section.

Can anyone else confirm that this is new?
  • Options
    canadianmetalfancanadianmetalfan Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    stohayden wrote: »

I guess this would only show up for those in a fleet... All mine shows is gear for my ship and crew...

I am still waiting for them to add the DOFF duty management... Would give me something to do while I am at work on my lunch break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ODYSSEY SCIENCE CRUISER - U.S.S. MAIDEN TORONTO NX-971312-B
    VESTA MULTI-MISSION SURVEILLANCE EXPLORER - U.S.S. HOPE IN HELL NX-902013-A
  • Options
    stohaydenstohayden Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's true that for my characters not in a fleet the tab did not show.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So hi cryptic/pwe web-devs whoever it concerns:

I'd love... I'd really LOVE a web API for the gateway to use on our own webpages.

It would be nice if we could get import data from the gateway to fetch such things as characters, fleet, possibly items and so on from gateway for our webpages to ease the creation of member profiles ported directly from STO.

Now obviously this would require certain security features, but I'd really love such a function.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The bad news is that we confirm that there was a problem with Safari logins. :-( Thank you for the reports. The good news is that a fix has been applied!

There is also an event which occurs which drops everyone on Gateway. We have a fix for this, but it needs to go through QA first. At the moment, it happens once every couple hours.

There is at least one problem in the client which causes a disconnection you. (You'll get the Disconnected dialog box pop up.) We're working on that too.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If you are "visiting" a Fleet page (i.e. not a member) you see less information than someone who is a member. You see just enough to know some basics about the fleet and contact the top officers.
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    stohayden wrote: »

Yes, it was in the January 17 patch notes.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There's still no way to go to other pages without going back to the main screen. The options should all be on a top or bottom bar (If I'm on the accolades page, for example, I should be able to click a button that takes me straight to the Personnel page, rather than going back to the main screen and then to the personnel page).

Additionally, I should be able to go straight to my character from a fleet page or another character's page, rather than having to go through the "select character" process again.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hmm I can get on without new access codes now, so not sure what that problem was.

But if I go into my fleetmate's bios for a few minutes, often the thing seems to crash on me and say something about maintenance. If I leave it alone for a while I can get back in again.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    lagunadlagunad Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In at least 50 attempts, I have never succeeded in getting past the login screens.

I'm using Internet Explorer 10. I have JavaScript and cookies allowed for *.startrekonline.com and *.perfectworld.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I clicked on my fleet's website, and it took me there, which was cool. However, when I pressed the back button to return to the gateway, it got stuck on the loading screen. I had to close the tab for a bit, then try again to get to the login screen.
  • Options
    skrimshaw72skrimshaw72 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Gateway: "Accessing Secure Personnel Files Please Wait..."

That is all I get when I try to use this new feature. I have JavaScript enabled, as well as cookies for the site, and it never gets past that please wait screen. I'm using IE9 as my browser and synchronized my cryptic account months ago. Any idea why this isn't working for me?
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think that anyone mentioned the new audio effects. As I don't own a handheld device to test, can someone else comment on how immersed it makes your experience? From the desktop perspective, I'm thinking I'd want more audio bells and whistles. Perhaps some Barrett-esque call outs? I don't know how practical that would be for the Gateway?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Gateway: "Accessing Secure Personnel Files Please Wait..."

I've never gotten past this screen, and I've tried it on my home computer as well as my computer at work.

EDIT: I FINALLY got past the entry screen and was told to check my e-mail for a passcode. I did this immediately, got the code, and saw this: "Gateway is now undergoing maintenence. Please try again later"!!!!

Now I REALLY want to check this thing out. It's like a quest to complete! lol
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Weird things happen when I have multiple instances of it open in more than one tab.
  • Options
    swoosher1swoosher1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    That's a great idea, wonder if gateway can be accessed during maintenance hours? :confused:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I still haven't found the 'opt out' option in the game ui, anyone know exactly where it is ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
This discussion has been closed.