test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
This is the Star Trek Online Gateway feedback and discussion thread! Please post any comments or feedback you have about the system here!

What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

Feedback

Star Trek Online Gateway is in early Beta, and we look forward to hearing what you think about it. Let us know what you're thinking by commenting below in this forum thread.

If you have technical issues or experience any bugs such as problems using Gateway with your web browser or device, please let us know by posting to this forum thread. Please let us know what operating system and browser (including version numbers) you are using. If you are using a mobile device, let us know which one.

Also, take a glance at the Known Issues below for a list of things we already know about.

Browser Requirements

• Gateway is tailored to work on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices supporting HTML5.
  • Gateway has been verified to operate on recent versions of Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. It may work on earlier versions of these browsers. It does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
  • Gateway requires the use of cookies.
  • Gateway requires the use of Javascript.

Login Issues

You must log in to a Perfect World account to use Gateway. If you don't have one, you will have to create one first. If you have a Cryptic account, but not a Perfect World account, you will need to create a Perfect World account and link it to your Cryptic account before using Gateway.

Click here to create a new account or link an existing account.

Click here for more information on account linking.

Cookie Usage

• A cookie is used to keep track of your session while you using Gateway. This is a "session cookie" and is not kept after you leave the page.
  • A second, persistent cookie is also used by Account Guard to determine if the particular browser install is authorized for use with your account. This cookie contains no account information.

Known Issues

• Gateway does not work on Internet Explorer 8 or earlier.
  • Character changes that occur in the client are not immediately updated on the web. You must log out and back in to see the changes.
  • Pictures of bridge officers do not show the officer in their chosen stance.
  • Pictures of ships do not show additions or changes that come from equipment (e.g. Borg equipment, etc.)
  • Though Gateway uses the language preferred by your browser, there is some text that is not yet translated. Gateway supports the same languages Star Trek Online does: English, German, and French.
  • Some players may see their shuttle instead of their ship -- a fix is in the pipeline that will have the Gateway always show your ship.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• phaserriflephaserrifle Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like it. I can see it being especially handy for working out how best to set up my ship.

That being said, it would be nice to have the stats of the weapons/equipment come up when you select them, rather than just a description.

also, in future, a sandbox mode where you can play around with different builds to see their stats might be a handy feature. let us see what changing a given bit of kit would do to our stats without having to go in-game and buy the kit, or work it out longhand.
  • kelwar1965kelwar1965 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    SWEET!!! Thanks for getting this up and running. I am looking forward to helping you guys out and getting the bugs worked out. I am running a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Asus Transformer Infinity. I have it working on both and everything seems to be stable. I am looking forward to you guys getting the Doff missions up and running in the future. I hope the time lines are not too far down the road...but I am patient with it.
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bug:
    1. Ship hull seems stuck at 10,000 regardless of what ship's available.
    2. Base turn display is wrong.
    3. On the Captain screen, traits are not displaying.
    4. Bridge officer traits are not displaying.

Issues:
    1. Bridge officer seating is not displayed.
    2. Data on specific equipment is limited to just the fluff, doesn't include stats.
    3. No extended ship data- no shield modifier value, no inertia value, etc.
    4. Currency display (under captain profile) could use bulking out to include marks, visual indication of various currencies, and the like.
    5. Reputation seems totally absent.

Would Be Nice If:
    1. Ship display includes attributes from weapons/consoles (Omega shield, borg console, Reman shield, etc)
    2. Ship status display includes active shield/hull figures (i.e., values inclusive of all abilities and equipment)
    3. View access to mail, inventory, and bank
  • mrcaton1mrcaton1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like this a lot. It looks slick, and I can certainly see it growing in functionality. Personally, I'd like to be able to manage my Doffs and maybe reputation and mail. I like to keep my Doffs working, so it would be nice not to have to go through the login process every time. Anyway, I see lots of potential here.
  • akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    agree with you mrcaton1 it looks slick, but i don't think they could implement the doff system 'cuz different assigments required that you have to be in one place or another and this is the hole charm on the doff system. but this is only my opinion.

squishkin the bug section is here and yes you are right i found some of those bugs myself.

maybe in a very very distant future we'll be able to see other's stats and gear through this gateway who knows :-??
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • klaituklaitu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think the potential for this is promising as an addition the game.

I would not spend any money to obtain access to a completed version.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    akpa wrote: »
    agree with you mrcaton1 it looks slick, but i don't think they could implement the doff system 'cuz different assigments required that you have to be in one place or another and this is the hole charm on the doff system. but this is only my opinion.
    They could add the shipboard/personal DOFF assignments.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As a feature request (beside DOFFing), I would like to be able to create Captain's log entries. So I could write and store entries for my recently played missions.

I used to do this in game when we launched back in 2010, but the interface was just abysmal. STO Gateway seems like a new opportunity to cater to those of use who like this sort of thing.

Thanks.
  • szioulszioul Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Won't show my actual ship. Keeps thinking my shuttle is my primary ship. Wasn't able to get it to show anything else, but small craft after shuffling them around in-game.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    As a feature request (beside DOFFing), I would like to be able to create Captain's log entries. So I could write and store entries for my recently played missions.

I love this idea... that is really good, besides DOFFing.

I would like to say that being BETA, this is very nice. I like the interface, though it could be more LCARS theme, that would fit in with Star Trek.
  • rgrgeomrgrgeom Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    szioul wrote: »
    Won't show my actual ship. Keeps thinking my shuttle is my primary ship. Wasn't able to get it to show anything else, but small craft after shuffling them around in-game.

same here, makes it pritty useless
    Long Live The Empire!
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nice to see this finally live!

My main peeve at the moment is that my toon and BOff's portraits look bloated, as if someone had been taking cheesy webcam photos with a fisheye lens or something. Other than that, looking pretty good.

I'm with several others regarding adding the ability to manage DOffs and assignments, as well as the ability to compose log entries / edit biographies.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • landerx74927landerx74927 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I am running the pre-release version of IE 10 and have noticed the following:

1. Cannot even get the page to load
    2. When I run in compatibility mode the page loads but does not let me login. I put in my username and password but it does complete the login process.
  • thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    At first I must say, finally!
    And the waiting was worth it, it works great(at least for me). I have no issues even in the old browser of my nokia n900, although it takes a while to load the "Accolades" section.
    There comes my request: please add an "incomplete accolades" bookmark in aforementioned section, because that's actually what most interest me, the incomplete ones. :)
    Gameserver not found.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Looks very slick and is working well for me so far.

I can see the possibilities for this so I look forward to watching it develop! I like this A LOT!

I too would love to manage Doffs through this but also access character info for display on other websites, such as our fleet site. Perhaps add a public/private option to character info? Or through an API.

If possible I'd love to see a development roadmap for this to see what goodies you are going to give us through the portal.

'Nuff said...except...nice work!

:)
    server_hamster6.png
  • valigradvaligrad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I tested this new tech on windows 7 ultimate x64 and windows xp home edition X32 with the latest firefox browser 17.0.1.. it worked nice.
    It would be cooler if there could be available to > accept, abort duty officer missions, refine dilithium, access to bank, exchange, inventory....maybe ALL except the 3d environment ( and some https connection..there are some crazy "hackers" craving for this game , as with others mmorpg ) .
    This tech could be used as a fan prize , balancing the heavy dilithium restriction throughout the game .
    Thanks for keeping this game alive !
  • speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It doesn't work on IE 10 either... still
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's a neat thing to have, once they add some features (limited (local) duty officer management, remote turning in assignments and dilithium refining, MAIL), but I spotted a few small things with what's there:
    1. Character portraits are pinched.
    2. Introscreen should use Welcome [rank] [lastname] not [rank] [charactername] as it does now.
    3. The gateway's displaying the wrong bridge officers for the ship I'm operating. I haven't got them memorized, but I know I didn't slot any bridge officers with cannon powers on my cruiser. Only the Engineers displayed are the ones I actually use.

The accolade list looks nice, but it's really not that useful, without an overview of yet unfinished accolades, or a better way to organize the lore ones.

But at least it works on Chrome. For now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I tested this on my iPad and think you've got a good start here.

The 2 main problems I had were the confusion over the system "allowing" me to get in, with the Account Guard system, and the fact that only my 5 most recent Captains played were available (I have 8 characters).
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nynik wrote: »

I used to do this in game when we launched back in 2010, but the interface was just abysmal. STO Gateway seems like a new opportunity to cater to those of use who like this sort of thing.

Thanks.

This would be awesome!
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well I wanted to get into it.....as soon as i log in it asked for a verisfication code becasue it said i am not using a browser i normally do?!??!

So first time i log into it it says this?!??!

So i go to my email which is taking a very long time to load....comcast is slow-mo

And i see the screen says i am disconnected formthe gateway?!?!?

Not sure what to make of this...oh i see it does the same hting while i have not logged in and am sitting at the login screen.

Also it takes a while to load....so now i finaly am able to access my email.....and hmm taking a while to load.....growing old waiting....
    goign to guess it wills end another code out.....to iritate me....

Ok so it did

Finaly get into the system...get a character select.....and select a character...and boom disconnected from the gateway message but the background is still working....?!??!?

Ok so not sure what to make of this.

ANywise I am hoping inthe future we can look up other players...like we could inthe past.....it always amused me to see someone post on the forums how they did this or that and ran out of things to do....then look them up and find they didnt do anythign of the sort....
    and when you pointed it out to them....they wouldnt respond or say too much anymore.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It looks like a great start and works well on my Android phone (with Chrome).

Feature request: Add unfinished accolades. It would be very handy to have an out-of-game way to look at the ones I'm working on.
  • gamemaster0010xgamemaster0010x Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    While I don't know if this is a planned feature, or if it's already being talked about, I'd like to be able to manage my duty officer missions with this app. Sometimes I'm not always where i can log back into the game real quick to turn in duty missions and send them out on new ones and an app that would let me do so until I can get where I can setup and play would be pretty cool.
  • tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What is the Star Trek Online Gateway?

Star Trek Online Gateway is a web application which lets you look at your captains, ships, bridge officers, and other data from STO. Eventually, you will be able to interact with Star Trek Online through Gateway without logging in to the full 3D client.

The purpose of Gateway is to let players into Star Trek Online without needing to start up the full client.

Visit http://gateway.startrekonline.com to access the STO Gateway.

well, being a web-developer myself, here is my feedback. The UI itself is nice but has some positioning problems here and there. Include the following stuff to make this project useful:

- Exchange (+ maybe Cronjobs like you can see on ebay)
    - Possibility to view other profiles (and let people choose if they profile should be public and if yes, if others can see their equipment for example.. little bit like facebook)
    - Mailsystem
    - DOFF System
    - Reputation System
    - include some kind of "browser-game" function. Let your ship virtually fight NPCs or something like that. Check out some online space games to get some ideas. Even PvP is possible.. littlebit like roundbased pokemon playcard game back (i am really not playing that)
    - will add more later on..
    What ? Calaway.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It doesn't work for me at all. Keeps telling me that my username or password is invalid.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Works fine for me and I can't wait to see more features added!

Bug that I think I found:
    Bridge officers that are assigned to the ship show all abilities. Should it not show just the abilities that are usable by the ship that is currently displayed? IE: Commander Tactical, LTC Engineering, so on and so forth, rather than all 4 of the space abilities for each of the Bridge officers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • sfalanga42sfalanga42 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, i love this feature(barring to usual glitches). I genuinely want a dedicated app for smartphones/ tablets, instead of having to open (insert browser here) and log in with my ill-placed taps. Is that somewhere in the works?
    Heavy Weapons, knocking down walls and horribly maiming people since man first asked "What if I made this really big?".[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Being misused already

people are using it to spy on others ship layouts
    Live long and Prosper
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Being misused already

people are using it to spy on others ship layouts

Is the fact that it lets other people look at your layout actually a bad thing? What are they going to get from your layout that's secret? That that Mk XII Polaron Dual Heavy Cannon has only one [ACC] mod instead of two?
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hopefully they make looking up captains easier. A nice search tool would be a good start, instead of needing to punch the name into the address bar at the top.

Branflake's reply RE: the Gateway and looking up Captains
    Being able to view other player's characters and BOFFs is akin to the original Captain's database -- please note that although you can see your Energy Credit and Dilithium totals, others can not while looking at your character.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Doesn't look like a condemnation of using it to search out Captains and their gear and BOff setups to me.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
This discussion has been closed.