test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Duty Officers 101

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I got the Ferengi Cultural Exchange assignment yesterday, it takes two days and was in the Personal list, I'm guessing it'll pop up anywhere where you are, when I got it I was in Romulan space, it seems to be ultra rare because it was the first time I have ever seen it.
  • dorrajimusdorrajimus Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is it true that if you assign officers to duties that your ship will begin to generate raw dilithium?

Additionally, I am relatively new to the game...a level 21 Commander...and I find the game intoxicatingly addictive but frustratingly and intensely details/designed so this whole duty officer/assignment thing makes me more confused to understand it.

As a visual learner, is there a video out there (on youtube) that walks one through this process?
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Certain DOff missions have D as a reward and I think that's the most of it.

At level 21 you should be relatively experienced ;) The DOff system is a little convoluted but not too complex to make it useless. The guide on the first page is extremely helpful to get your feet wet and although i have not looked for a video on this aspect of STO, I can assure you that what is needed is time and patience.

Time in that you should devote a play session to stop and look at the screens you are looking at. I do not mean to sound trite, but it is worth hovering the mouse over ever icon and clicking on everything in the DO interface. In fact, the guide on Page 1 suggests you read each DOff dossier - and it's true.

Patience in that you will need to try something and waiting for some results expecting to fail.

I strongly recommend not using the DOffs at every opportunity. They will level you faster than your personal game experience. Sure, being VA is an accomplishment, but if you can't back that up with skills, then you are a liability to the team or you will cause more frustration to yourself solo.
  • realviper78realviper78 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i recently got a doff that reduces my space operation assets. but i was wondering what space operational assets area. i figured it was a reduce all cooldown on space powers but it doesn't seem to be. can anyone explain to me what this doff does? thanks :-)
  • chookinchookin Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think the doff you described is a quartermaster that reduces the fleet credit cost of operational assets/ one time use consumables that you can buy at your fleet's starbase Fleet Operations Quartermaster.
  • realviper78realviper78 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    no its a fabrication engineer and list the power as follows. decreases the cooldown of space operational assets by x%. not sure what space operational assets are.
  • zilla75zilla75 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I read that doffs are stackable, Ive been trying but cant stack any, all it says is I can only equip 1 item of that type, are there only certain ones that can be stacked, ive tried many configurations but nothing really works, please help, thanks.
  • primialprimial Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been interested in the Doff part of the game but I've used up the 26 assignment slots and no more have appeared despite making it to rear Admiral. Is there something I have to do to get more? I haven't seen how slots are generated anywhere, whether its time or level based but after a few weeks I'm assuming its not time based. Any help gratefully received.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    primial wrote: »
    I've been interested in the Doff part of the game but I've used up the 26 assignment slots and no more have appeared despite making it to rear Admiral. Is there something I have to do to get more? I haven't seen how slots are generated anywhere, whether its time or level based but after a few weeks I'm assuming its not time based. Any help gratefully received.

you have have the embassy unlock and then goto new romulas and enter your embassy and goto shuttle bay talk to the npc i think its 50k fleet credits for 1st unlock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    primial wrote: »

How the hell do you have 26
  • terralythterralyth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been offered a new duty officer every advancement but when I get the selected officer it always says I have no more room on my bridge even though I have more consoles on the bridge than officers. Why is it then that the number of bridge consoles is always more than the number of bridge officers?
  • taurusasptaurusasp Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Star fleet character, got to level 18 and didn't get any duty officers, despite the list saying 18 - Duty Officers Awarded.

Anyone got duty officers at level 18?
  • realityripplerealityripple Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    taurusasp wrote: »
    Star fleet character, got to level 18 and didn't get any duty officers, despite the list saying 18 - Duty Officers Awarded.

Anyone got duty officers at level 18?

Nope, I'm having the exact same problem. I'm level 20 now, and still only have the duty officers I was given at level 11. :mad:
    The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do.
    - B.F. Skinner
  • zelator2012zelator2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nope, I'm having the exact same problem. I'm level 20 now, and still only have the duty officers I was given at level 11. :mad:

Having same problem here, level 20 now and did not get mine at lvl 18... I tried starting a new topic but for some reason the forums won't let me.
  • realityripplerealityripple Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Having same problem here, level 20 now and did not get mine at lvl 18... I tried starting a new topic but for some reason the forums won't let me.

They have a limit on how long a user has to wait after registering before they're allowed to make a new topic.
    The real problem is not whether machines think, but whether men do.
    - B.F. Skinner
  • rockwelltorreyrockwelltorrey Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm at level 32 and have the Vor'kang battle cruiser And I bought a new science officer and I'm trying to put him on active duty but it won't let me.
    I have an active duty position open, this officer shows up as a duty officer and when I try to activate him on active duty a window pops up stating this will permanently bind him to my crew.
    I say yes but then nothing happens........he doesn't move to active duty.
    { I bought this rare officer on the exchange}

What's wrong ?

Also......how do you move officers from active duty to bridge officer candidates ?
    I have 2 greyed out slots for bridge officers I want to fill.

Figuring out why this isn't working would be really appreciated.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm at level 32 and have the Vor'kang battle cruiser And I bought a new science officer and I'm trying to put him on active duty but it won't let me.
    I have an active duty position open, this officer shows up as a duty officer and when I try to activate him on active duty a window pops up stating this will permanently bind him to my crew.
    I say yes but then nothing happens........he doesn't move to active duty.
    { I bought this rare officer on the exchange}

What's wrong ?

Also......how do you move officers from active duty to bridge officer candidates ?
    I have 2 greyed out slots for bridge officers I want to fill.

Figuring out why this isn't working would be really appreciated.

1. Are you sure that Dutty Officer is for your faction? you can buy doffs for the other faction and you can't use them, but you can sell them again

2.-Are you talking about moving dutty officers to a bridge officer slot?, you can't do that, they aren't the same thing
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
    edited August 2013
    I'll double check if that officer is meant for Klingons......I assumed he is because he is on the duty list.
    Actually.....this science officer I bought is on reserve, I can't resell him I can only dismiss him which means I lose him with no compensation.

Ok.......how do I put new officers on the bridge ?
    I still have those 2 greyed out empty spots
    edited August 2013
    I'll double check if that officer is meant for Klingons......I assumed he is because he is on the duty list.
    Actually.....this science officer I bought is on reserve.

Ok.......how do I put new officers on the bridge ?

You can buy new bridge officers from the exchange, they had their own tab on the window
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    12701.png
    edited August 2013
    Let me check this ........but why can't I use this officer at all ?
    edited August 2013
    Let me check this ........but why can't I use this officer at all ?

Well.... there are some officers flagged for feds, and officers flagged for klingons, even if some of them seems to be the same, you can buy any of them, but you can't use them if they are from the wrong faction

To be honest I can't tell you a answer beyond "That's how the game is designed" :confused:
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    12701.png
    edited August 2013
    Well.... there are some officers flagged for feds, and officers flagged for klingons, even if some of them seems to be the same, you can buy any of them, but you can't use them if they are from the wrong faction

To be honest I can't tell you a answer beyond "That's how the game is designed" :confused:

Thankyou kaiserkacto
    Your info helped........I have gotten some new bridge officers and these ones do work, so I did something wrong with the first one I bought.

There is so much to learn about this game......lol.
  • jamesbrycejamesbryce Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am a bit stuck with this doff mission. I have been waiting weeks for the 4th assignment to appear in the chain and it has yet to appear. Am I doing something wrong?
  • sitisiti Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I sure do wish my Romulan character wouldn't have DOFF missions where i am hurting Romulans in some way or another..I don't want to sabotage my shipyard >_<
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Apologies for posting this here but I can only reply to posts at this point and I couldnt' find a post which explained my problem.

I reached rank 1 commendation for military and a mission popped up with Lt Ferra I believe to award my green level Doff, as I was looking through the list I figured I check my Doff assignments to see which Doff to select, well when I did the mission box with lt ferra disappeared and now I can't get it back, losing my chance to select my free Doff.

Is there anyway to get this back?

BTW, this also happens when I'm acessing the exchange with the SS Azura or any freighter or at any terminal - if the exchange window is open and I open the Doff window then select any assignment category the exchange window closes. Not too bad while at a station but for the Azura or freighter they just leave and I either have to wait 2 hours or fly to the closest starbase to finish. Obvious bug.

thanks in advance.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    just go to talk to Ferra in person. Then you can select from a menu which one you want.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Go to Starfleet Academy. Lt Ferra is in one of the buldings there. You should be able to select your award DOFF directly that way.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • dorkbot44dorkbot44 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Whenever I put higher ranked dOffs on assignments it adds percentage to the "quality reward bonus," however when I try to complete the assignment that number goes to zero. Is this normal or am I getting jipped out of my bonus?
  • hank41hank41 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At what rank are we able to use the Duty Officers? I tried to find via reading previous post but there is to many. thnks
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hank41 wrote: »
    At what rank are we able to use the Duty Officers? I tried to find via reading previous post but there is to many. thnks

Level 11. You should be getting an assignment to contact ferra/stass when you reach that level.