What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Duty Officers 101

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Like you have to buy Booster Packs in any TCG...

What I find most irritating is that it seems that all Humans do have 2 Names... that's... odd... might be better if there were mostly Single Name Individuals and some 2 Name ones...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Capulet wrote: »
    Has anybody found they have a severe shortage of doffs unless they buy from the c-store? I can only pull one mission at a time currently. *goes back to reading thread for tips*

It does take a while to grind through all the recruitment missions to get to 100. However, myself and many others have started putting our extra DOffs on the exchange. Considering that DOffs almost never wear out (except on those espionage & military missions), you can expect "DOff inflation" (tm) to start hitting the game soon enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I love this ones name...

HEATH KIM DRONEBURG

Reverse two of the letters in the last name and it's Mine. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Capulet wrote: »
    Has anybody found they have a severe shortage of doffs unless they buy from the c-store? I can only pull one mission at a time currently. *goes back to reading thread for tips*

On my first Tribble "start-from-scratch" toon I've already hit the cap (I haven't bought a DOff pack yet), and have been sending further DOff recruitment packs/shuttles to my "copied from HOLODECK" toon in the mail.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    As I have progressed through the DOff system, I am finding that it is difficult to keep my DOff roster trim. There is effectively only one reassitnment mission that lasts 20hrs iirc and has an hour cool down after it is turned in, effectively making it 21+ hours before you can start it gain.

So I can realistically get rid of only 3 DOffs every one to one and a half days. Sure I can simply dismiss them, but that does not quite feel right.

I would sort of like to see some sort of transient passenger slots. Maybe once the tech is in to display the latest officers, we could track now long they have been on our crew. Transient officers in the passenger slots would typically be colonists or refugees. They might be able to sit around for 2-3 days before they naturally find somewhere else to go and disappear from your transient pool. During this time you would have the opportunity to use them or help them colonize.

For some reason DOffs used as a disposable mission resource do not quite fit well in the general 100 DOff pool. It's too easy to fill up to the point where I can not take any additional colonists. It is also too easy to have only 4 colonists without enough friends to go colonize.

The 100 DOff slots should be more for the permanent crew that you are keeping for the foreseeable future. There should be that transient pool or overflow bag to help you make use of the ones who will be coming and going. It's a bit unwieldy to scroll up and down trying to sort them out right now. At least in my experience.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    How does the stacking of the short term bonus go?
    For example (4) +6 to operations would equal what?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Roach wrote: »
    How does the stacking of the short term bonus go?
    For example (4) +6 to operations would equal what?

It would be +24 to your operations value, and affected by diminishing returns like every other value in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    celendis wrote: »
    It would be +24 to your operations value, and affected by diminishing returns like every other value in the game.

So useless to a fully skilled Player?
    I ask becuase while in a mission I stopped popped all 4 (+6) and never saw even the slightest increase in my operations total score when I checked the Space skills section of the player UI.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    zordar wrote: »
    I had to return to the "recruiting" areas (ESD, ESD orbit, SFA mainly) often in the hopes of hitting a cadre assignment. Even then I was unable to do any Espionage and many Military missions because I never had appropriate DOffs.

I seriously doubt the DOff system escaped the gross monetization the rest of the F2P Beta is afflicted with, so it's probably a safe bet that buying DOff packs is an intentional (and encouraged) part of the design. Of course, since the DOff system is actually fun, playing it for days or weeks on end doesn't seem grindy. Kudos to Heretic for that.

Z

Funny thing is, the C-Store DOFF packs are now actually less useful than they were before today's Tribble patch. Reason being that quality by itself has less of an effect than it used to, it's all about the traits and specializations that have a major boost to your chance of success. Sure you still get an advantage by buying the DOFF pack, but it's a small advantage indeed and the system is hardly based around that pack.

As far as the DOFF acquisition rates go, my main Tribble toon has been capped at 100 for weeks now and the toon I transferred from Holodeck last week is now at 95 DOFFs (with the help of some cadres from my main). This is without buying any of the DOFF packs. If anything, it's entirely too easy to cap out.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Sorry if it's already been covered, I searched and couldn't find a final answer to this question.

Are the doff rewards we get on holodeck from tribble work seperated by faction? In other words, once I max my diplomacy on fed, then should I still focus on trying to max one of my kdf tiers, or will the rewards be account wide to fed and kdf based on doing only fed on tribble?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Sorry if it's already been covered, I searched and couldn't find a final answer to this question.

Are the doff rewards we get on holodeck from tribble work seperated by faction? In other words, once I max my diplomacy on fed, then should I still focus on trying to max one of my kdf tiers, or will the rewards be account wide to fed and kdf based on doing only fed on tribble?

Yes, they are separate.

Z
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    zordar wrote: »
    Yes, they are separate.

Z

Can you link to where this has been confirmed? I looked and looked and couldn't find it.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Can you link to where this has been confirmed? I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

There has been no official clarification. Considering that KDF and Fed leveling experiences and DOff assignments are substantially different and need to be tested, it's a safe assumption that Fed leveling will only get you Fed rewards and KDF leveling will get you KDF rewards as a means of motivating players to test both factions. There's no reason for Cryptic to extend the rewards account-wide.

Z
  • Options
    edited October 2011

I don't think there is such a link. Earlier in this very thread Heretic said the opposite and I haven't seen anything different.

Link
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ok, so the only dev comment so far is a non definitive reply that it should only require getting to t3 on one side.

Due to the lack of definitive information, I will assume that I still need to level to t3 on kdf side. Not too bad, I should hit t2 in marauding by the end of the weekend.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere, but i got to diplomacy tier 4 and it said i could claim a bridge officer of the opposing faction. i could not fugure out how to do it. was it removed, changed?

i spoke to the caitian at the academy, the diplomatic guy at esd. could not work it out.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    According to a post Heretic made a couple weeks ago, the t4 diplomacy doff isn't implemented on Tribble yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    hevach wrote: »
    According to a post Heretic made a couple weeks ago, the t4 diplomacy doff isn't implemented on Tribble yet.

He's not talking about DOFFs, he's talking about the cross-faction BOFF you get when you hit tier 4 diplo.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So was I, doff was a typo. Sorry. There is no T4 doff for diplomacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So was I, doff was a typo. Sorry. There is no T4 doff for diplomacy.

Yes, and that's completely irrelevant because he was talking about BOFFs and not DOFFs.
    sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere, but i got to diplomacy tier 4 and it said i could claim a bridge officer of the opposing faction. i could not fugure out how to do it. was it removed, changed?

i spoke to the caitian at the academy, the diplomatic guy at esd. could not work it out.

Go to Ambassador Jiro Sugihara in Admiral Quinn's office at ESD, don't hail him. If you hail him you don't get all of his dialog options, but if you go to him the Store option will be at the very top of the list. You'll be able to get your cross-faction BOFF that way.

It works just fine for my character that has tier 4 diplo.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Go to Ambassador Jiro Sugihara in Admiral Quinn's office at ESD, don't hail him. If you hail him you don't get all of his dialog options, but if you go to him the Store option will be at the very top of the list. You'll be able to get your cross-faction BOFF that way.

It works just fine for my character that has tier 4 diplo.

i did, and got no option.

just to confirm it is tribble im talking about. ive already done this a couple of time on holodeck just fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yes, and that's completely irrelevant because he was talking about BOFFs and not DOFFs.

You can keep correcting me and giving Revo incorrect information on how to collect a reward that isn't there, but
    So was I.

The tier 4 diplomacy boff is not implemented on Tribble right now.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The tier 4 diplomacy boff is not implemented on Tribble right now.

right ok, thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    i did, and got no option.

just to confirm it is tribble im talking about. ive already done this a couple of time on holodeck just fine.

Yeah, Tribble. My transferred char has tier 4 diplo and hasn't gotten the cross-faction BOFF on Holodeck...that char is able to claim the BOFF on Tribble. As for the char I leveled from scratch on Tribble, he's still only tier 3 diplo so I haven't been able to test with that one.

If it's a case of new characters simply not having access to the store despite having the appropriate diplo rank, that's kind of weird.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, Tribble. My transferred char has tier 4 diplo and hasn't gotten the cross-faction BOFF on Holodeck...that char is able to claim the BOFF on Tribble. As for the char I leveled from scratch on Tribble, he's still only tier 3 diplo so I haven't been able to test with that one.

If it's a case of new characters simply not having access to the store despite having the appropriate diplo rank, that's kind of weird.

It has to do with phasing out the store/rewarding of white bridge officers and changing them to purple bridge officers. Right now, we're in the middle of the process and have a few dependencies from Art, Content and Systems.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heretic this is a bit of feed back I got on the DOFF system for the KDF side. For a member of the KDF, raiding (Maurading) is not a dishonorable action. It is a way of life. As such, I think all the Maurading missions that have Honorable as a negative trait should be reworked. Especially considering the large number of KDF Doffs with Honorable as a trait.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heretic this is a bit of feed back I got on the DOFF system for the KDF side. For a member of the KDF, raiding (Maurading) is not a dishonorable action. It is a way of life. As such, I think all the Maurading missions that have Honorable as a negative trait should be reworked. Especially considering the large number of KDF Doffs with Honorable as a trait.

Agreed 100%.

The only dishonorable action by any self-respecting Klingon, is avoiding combat.

A true Klingon will not hide in the shadows. He/She faces their enemies head-on. Romulan collaborators have been known to act dishonorably, such as using poison tactics against their enemies.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Hear Hear! Very true.

Maurading of choice targets is not dishonorable from a Klingon standpoint, only those whom have alien ideas of Honor seem to believe otherwise.
    The definition of honorable in this Style of DOff mission is a definate disadvanatge.

Personal Honor: Klingons have no patience for liars, cowards and weaklings. They have a strong sense of virtuous responsibility, and personal honor is about standing up and accepting the negative consequences of personal action (if the consequences are deserved), demanding the recognition for personal triumph when it is due, and defending choices that the Klingon knows to have been the right ones, even in the face of adverse opinion or mortal danger.

Ties of Blood: Honor does not stop at a Klingon’s skin; it extends to his brethren, his trusted companions, and most especially to his name and his blood. A dishonored Klingon dishonors every Klingon that will be descended from him, for many generations to come. And any threat to the honor of a Klingon who’s name you bear – even if that Klingon is long free from the confines of mortal life – is a serious attack on your personal honor. Familial honor is personal honor, extended to an entire bloodline.

Duty to Superiors: It is honorable – in fact, commendable – for a Klingon to advance in rank by killing a weak or ineffectual superior. Such an act strengthens the chain of command by culling out the weak links in the chain. But a worthy superior is to be respected and obeyed, and this form of honor extends from a warrior’s immediate commander all the way up the ladder to the leadership of the Klingon Empire. Honoring the Empire and the will of those who rule it is vital to the survival of the species, the glory of all worthy warriors, and the personal honor of any who benefit from the Imperial might and prestige.

Ancient Tradition: Honor of self, family and Empire are in many ways facets of a much larger concept, that of honoring the many traditions that have built the Empire and made it thrive. This is why honor is such a vital axiom in Klingon stories: Klingons are as they are for reasons – ancient reasons, tested by time and blood and fire and proven in expansion and prosperity. Klingon stories should recognize this and sing with the truth of it. Klingons aren’t just "hung up" on honor, honor is an essential part of being Klingon, and something to be celebrated.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I'm not sure I'd say ALL of them. Quite a few of the ones that penalize the honorable trait involve blackmail, selling secrets, or dealing in items banned by the Empire. These underhanded actions have little to do with facing combat, and are definitely not appropriate activities for a Klingon Warrior.