test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This is gonna go off topic for a moment, and for that, I apologize. I'll bring it back on track at the end, I promise. I'm just really enjoying the conversation. :)

Just for the sake of discussion, providing cover fire -while- in motion? That's very Hollywood. In all my prior military exercises, cover fire was provided from...you guessed it...cover! Members of the Fire Team would provide cover fire from position while others moved. Then those individuals would provide cover fire while the ones who were covering move to the new position. At no time while you're firing is your attention on anything other than where you're firing. Even in the rare situation where you -must- move and fire at the same time, you set your travel path mentally ahead of time, and -still- watch your firing line while you move.

Watch this gunfight scene. (It's from the Season 3 finale of Leverage)

With the exception of one shot during the main fight, and the end where it goes completely Hollywood Cowboy, you'll see that Eliot has plotted his movement to where he can focus on aiming while moving, not moving while shooting. It's a decent example of what I'm talking about. His eyes are tracking his targets, not his movement. And they are -never- looking directly at the camera, which T'Boob is most definitely doing.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Vulcan. I just don't like the execution of the piece, because professional art should provide professional result, and in my assessment as an art professional, it doesn't measure up...too many glaring errors.

I'm sure if I had a large enough copy of the original, and some time in Photoshop, I could edit her to remove some of those errors. But I'm already a starving artist...I certainly can't afford to work for free. *grin*

Lol ok, I can see that, so sorry for takeing the topic...off topic...anyways I PERSONALY like the Vulcan because she looks EXACTLY like my main character...with out that uniform though...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    torrynwoodsrunnertorrynwoodsrunner Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    dom1941 wrote: »
    Lol ok, I can see that, so sorry for takeing the topic...off topic...anyways I PERSONALY like the Vulcan because she looks EXACTLY like my main character...with out that uniform though...

Hey, I have no trouble with it...like I said, I'm enjoying the discussion.

But, let's get this train back on the rails, shall we?

I spent exactly six minutes and 47 seconds in Photoshop...a VERY quick and dirty edit, using the largest size wallpaper as a base.

Here's a cropped and downsized clip of the original, with the 'thousand-yard stare' looking right at the camera:
    STOPPL-Raw.jpg

Now here's the quick and dirty edit, making her look where she's firing. That is the ONLY change I made:
    STOPPL-Edited.jpg

See the difference? Just that minor change makes her look infinitely more proficient. Sure, she still looks like she's going to cry, and she's still falling on her face...but by the gods, she IS going to hit what she's aiming at, because she's ACTUALLY AIMING!

So, what have we learned, cats and kittens? One of the primary rules of art: Unless you're doing a portrait, your subject should NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE 'CAMERA'.

Seriously...that's basic art class.
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hey, I have no trouble with it...like I said, I'm enjoying the discussion.

But, let's get this train back on the rails, shall we?

I spent exactly six minutes and 47 seconds in Photoshop...a VERY quick and dirty edit, using the largest size wallpaper as a base.

Here's a cropped and downsized clip of the original, with the 'thousand-yard stare' looking right at the camera:
    STOPPL-Raw.jpg

Now here's the quick and dirty edit, making her look where she's firing. That is the ONLY change I made:
    STOPPL-Edited.jpg

See the difference? Just that minor change makes her look infinitely more proficient. Sure, she still looks like she's going to cry, and she's still falling on her face...but by the gods, she IS going to hit what she's aiming at, because she's ACTUALLY AIMING!

So, what have we learned, cats and kittens? One of the primary rules of art: Unless you're doing a portrait, your subject should NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE 'CAMERA'.

Seriously...that's basic art class.

Well, your ceratinly right about that! nice work btw, sorry if I caused any trouble not my intent at all, just a matter of opion, though for the crying bit theres ways to give her less "twinkle" i dont know how but theres ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    trekpantstrekpants Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree. Merely changing the position of her eyes makes her look 120% less dim-witted while firing that phaser.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's worse than we thought.

21csaqw.png

She's taking over Handsome Phaser Guy's ads now as well.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's a good thing gamers and Trekkers don't have a rep for being socially TRIBBLE and emotionally stunted man boys who can't deal with women like humans because that ad would just be embarrassing in that case.
    <3
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    It's a good thing gamers and Trekkers don't have a rep for being socially TRIBBLE and emotionally stunted man boys who can't deal with women like humans because that ad would just be embarrassing in that case.

What, you mean like this?
    "I like the white-haired Cora with the sword and lack of substantial clothing."
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012

We want to treat women like humans, Cryptic isn't making it easy, by displaying that thing on the front page.
    Also shes a Romulan/Vulcan not human:D
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like the lady with the boobies ;)
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,103 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    We want to treat women like humans, Cryptic isn't making it easy, by displaying that thing on the front page.
    Also shes a Romulan/Vulcan not human:D

give her my shirt and tell her to iron it :P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not Vulcan

Vulcans do not fire indiscriminately or topple over

Also Not romulan

romulans AIM and are much less "barbie"

I think this one is an escaped Elf
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Not Vulcan

Vulcans do not fire indiscriminately or topple over

Also Not romulan

romulans AIM and are much less "barbie"

I think this one is an escaped Elf

or half human half race X
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

It's also good that the studio isn't run by college-aged, man-hating female activist types who screechingly portray any appreciation of the female form as "objectification."

:rolleyes:

And I still say she fired, and then something caught her eye before her weapon finished cycling.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I appreciate women

But not bimbo women

I like women with Brains , a personality and yes looks.

So For example Jaclyn Smith rather than Katie Price.

This one is clearly incompetent
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hanover2 wrote: »
    It's also good that the studio isn't run by college-aged, man-hating female activist types who screechingly portray any appreciation of the female form as "objectification."

:rolleyes:

And I still say she fired, and then something caught her eye before her weapon finished cycling.

I think No Ma'am approves.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    asteconnasteconn Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Why not have both?

It is very trivial to run a small PHP script that randomises the image being used. I use one my my own website to cycle through a load of different designs for my logo.

Bring back Handsome Phaser Guy! But keep Pretty Phaser Lady too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    asteconn wrote: »
    Why not have both?

It is very trivial to run a small PHP script that randomises the image being used. I use one my my own website to cycle through a load of different designs for my logo.

Bring back Handsome Phaser Guy! But keep Pretty Phaser Lady too.

How come I didn't think of that? :eek::confused:
  • Options
    asteconnasteconn Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    www.latech.co.uk

Press CTRL+R a few times to see the different image =]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    asteconn wrote: »
    www.latech.co.uk

Press CTRL+R a few times to see the different image =]

It's brilliant! Why don't we do that!?!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    it'd be a bit boring with only two pics...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    it'd be a bit boring with only two pics...

Then make more!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2012

What clueless commentary.

Once more for the children at the back of the class: She is posed in a way that allows for only two options. To show off ****. Or to make her look like a moron that's about to fall over. She is not strong or confident looking in any way so we are left to conclude that the **** were the point.

That makes it sexist. It also makes us players look like a bunch of stunted babymen.

If she were better posed, similarly to Handsome Phaser Guy, you would not be seeing a thread this long over the image. No one is complaining about the cleavage on the career selection screen because that lady doesn't look like an idiot.

Did I explain it carefully enough for you? Shall I break out the crayons?
    <3
  • Options
    edited December 2012

There's a big difference between "appreciation for the female form", and "could be the cover of a softcore TRIBBLE film".
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Same as comic book artists -- whoever was commissioned to do the art was not getting paid to make something elegant and artistic. They were getting paid to sell Star Trek Online in an image.

Captain Cheesecake is that image. Instead of complaining about the art, we should be complaining about how culturally -- this is the kind of thing that draws players to a game.

You can deny it or argue it all you want, the sad fact of the matter is a lot of male gamers are 'stunted babymen' as previously said. Or a large enough demographic of them is that would warrant marketing to want something like this to be STO's 'mascot'.

The artist in question has technique, but no talent. A Norman Rockwell, if you will. Rockwell was an illustrator and a painter, he did work for a magazine who had idealistic 'American' tones to it. And he did it for a paycheck. Norman Rockwell had brilliant technique, but no talent. If he was given a set of parameters to fulfill in regards to a piece, he would do it and create a beautiful illustration to help sell the magazine. But there was no art involved in it. It was all technique. He even said he wasn't an artist, he preferred to be called an illustrator.

That said, don't slam the art. Slam the customers that PWE is trying to market STO to. If Captain Cheesecake is here, it is only because we've asked for it. I, like many others do not care for the image at all based on aesthetics, but this is unfortunately the reality we live in.

Sex sells.

Don't pretend it doesn't, don't blame the artist, blame the gaming culture for endorsing and encouraging this kind of marketing 'artwork'. Blame PWE if you want, but they only commission this because that's what sells.

As much as I'd like to pin the blame on them -- if gaming culture decided that cute kittens wearing pink bows on marketing artwork had proven to sell more copies of the game, you can be rest assured there would be a vulcan sehlat with a pink bow running through the battlefield of STO plastered on the front page.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    onenonlydrockonenonlydrock Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can't deny that I like the look of the Vulcan Phaser Lady. I like her. She's attractive.

But I'm very aware that this pic is a pinup and it doesn't make me think about the game. It makes me think 'sexy Vulcan lady in a pinup'. Even that seems a little fake since it's uncharacteristic for a Vulcan to go out of their way to act and look sexy. With handsome phaser guy, you got starships and epic battles in the background. That makes you think about the game and conjure up images of adventure and action. Vulcan Phaser Lady misses the mark in that regard.

I say keep her, even if her overt sexuality is a little over the top.
    iconians wrote: »

As much as I'd like to pin the blame on them -- if gaming culture decided that cute kittens wearing pink bows on marketing artwork had proven to sell more copies of the game, you can be rest assured there would be a vulcan sehlat with a pink bow running through the battlefield of STO plastered on the front page.

That's insane enough to work... on hardcore nerds. *L*

Personally I'd like to see something a little more daring and humourous in STO advertising.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Don't pretend it doesn't, don't blame the artist, blame the gaming culture for endorsing and encouraging this kind of marketing 'artwork'. Blame PWE if you want, but they only commission this because that's what sells.

Oh I blame the artist all right, that anatomy is questionable, and the foreshortening is godawful. Sexy isn't bad, in fact, sexy is quite good! (Seriously, when can I have the pretty ladies in my signature Cryptic? When!?!?!) It's the pose, anatomy, and bizarre lack of taste that bothers me. It's not even indicative of what you can actually get in game.

If you could have hair like that, and there was an open variant of the Odyssey uniform, then I would feel slightly better about it. But even now, it really is false advertisement.

(And that foreshortening is terrible!!! I really must stress that!!! How did this make the cut!?!? How!?!?)
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You know, I don't care if they wanted to show cleavage or make her pretty and sexy - that's fine. I just think it looks stupid because she's looking at the camera and looks like she's going to fall over.

I am boggled at the fact that they said "Yes...thats IT! This image is BRILLIANT!"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I personally thought it was more like "Enh, I guess that'll do."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I personally thought it was more like "Enh, I guess that'll do."

So everyone lowered their standards for this image?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Sex sells.

There have been studies that show that sex only sells sex. Brands that use sexual imagery to sell their product typically have worse rates of customers remembering the product being sold.

"Would you like some Choco Party?"

"Some what?"

"The commercial with the big boobied girl in a bikini jumping up and down."

"Oh, that. Sure."

But I'm sure you'll agree that her pose was a lot less, as the kids say, "derpy" T'TRIBBLE would have gone over a lot better, even if she was in the same outfit.

It's doubly sad since Star Trek has had long history of appealing to women and LGBTQ geeks. STO is obviously doing quite well financially milking just the babymen alone, but it wouldn't hurt them to make the game more welcoming to players who haven't just crawled out of the primordial soup.
    <3