test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As i have said before she was sent by the Queen to gain information on humans
    she never stopped being a Drone

And a Virus is sort of alive
    A Borg sort of isn't
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    As i have said before she was sent by the Queen to gain information on humans
    she never stopped being a Drone

The Queen did technically let her go with Voyager to gain insight on the humans, but it was made pretty clear in "Dark Frontier" that this was unknown to Seven and done against her will. She's proven again and again that she has a will and an identity contrary to that of the Collective.

[/QUOTE]And a Virus is sort of alive
    A Borg sort of isn't[/QUOTE]

They have lifesigns. They need energy to survive. They can even reproduce. How are they not alive?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    They have lifesigns only when "turned on" and those are simulated
    they Don't reproduce they cannibalise sentient beings for parts
    and my digital watch needs energy to survive
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Show me a partly dressed VULCAN in TOS?
    Also any character of Flag rank who is under 50?

Okay - T'Pring. (from the TOS episode - "Amok Time"). As for other Vulcans in Star Fleet during TOS, they were (except for the U.S.S. Intrepid - lost with all 400 Vulcan crewmembers - see the TOS episode "The Immunity Syndrome") extremely rare.

FYI - the new "Phaser Lady" COULD be Romulan and there was the Romulan Commander from the TOS episode "The Enterprise Incident" - who wore a near negligee type dress as she was putting the moves on Commander Spock. :D:P;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    so ONE partly dressed vulcan Ever (you can see her ARMS her neck line is a high collar)

and no she can't be Romulan
    she is in starfleet uniform
    AND holding a phaser
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Honestly, you need to go back and watch more TOS then. ;)
    (Uhura, Rand, Helen Noel, and any female alien or android who interacted with Captain Kirk. :D)

You might need to watch the rest of the entirety of Star Trek and join us 40 years in the future. You know, present day.

While Vulcans can certainly be sexual, they are for the most part seen as prim and proper. Even T'Pol was prim in her uniform which didn't show anywhere near as much cleavage as this one. Troi showed some but never butchered a proper starfleet uniform.

Secondly, she's got 4 pips on that uniform, meaning she's a Captain. No captain running around in a miniskirt and half-open shirt could be taken seriously.

Look, we all know what this is. It's a shameless attempt to up-sex the game a bit. If that's what Cryptic wants, that's their choice. Don't try to obfuscate it or claim that it's somehow more "Star Trek". Be honest with yourselves.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    They have lifesigns only when "turned on" and those are simulated

How do you know they're simulated?
    they Don't reproduce they cannibalise sentient beings for parts

They turn other people into Borg. So they're propagating their own race.
    and my digital watch needs energy to survive

Fair point.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well why does a borg need life signs?

They don't Breathe (evidence borg without suits in vac situations)
    They don't bleed either (as witnessed when Worf sticks a huge blade in one)
    Their hearts in many cases are a pump
    And their brains electrical activity is mostly in implants

And chopping people up is not propagation its parasitic

There is a scientific definition of life and Borg do not meet it (they could classify as a Virus they have most of the propertys required)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Please don't start that old argument up again.

Seven of Nine was assimilated. Then she was liberated. Then she gradually regained her original identity throughout the series.

You say she's not alive because she was assimilated? Why? Look at all the crazy things that are classified as "life" in Star Trek. If this thing qualifies, Seven definitely does.

:rolleyes:

There is a scientific definition of life and Borg do not meet it (they could classify as a Virus they have most of the propertys required)

I prefer to think of it this way: The Borg Collective is a living being, and all the drones, ships and whatnot are more analogous to organs like hearts, lungs, and spleens.

This makes the Collective a living being, but the individual drones are not, just as your heart cannot operate without you, (or some form of outside influence) a drone cannot operate without the collective. But the Collective can lose drones, just as you can lose an arm.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    You might need to watch the rest of the entirety of Star Trek and join us 40 years in the future. You know, present day.

Given what we're actually discussing, I find the irony of your statement amusing. As for watching the entiorety of Star Trek, I HAVE - and from the third season of TOS through TAS (which you may or may not have heard of) - the TOS feature films, TNG, DS9, VOY (well I'll admit I gave up on VOY after its first season, talk about bad writing, and writing a Captain character as if she's Bi-Polar ;)); and ENT - it was watched all first run/when released.

[/quote]While Vulcans can certainly be sexual, they are for the most part seen as prim and proper. Even T'Pol was prim in her uniform which didn't show anywhere near as much cleavage as this one. Troi showed some but never butchered a proper starfleet uniform.[/quote]

She sported a Skant for the TNG pilot - then a catsuit, and sometimes a sheer turquoise dress until the 6th season when Captain Edward Jellico suggested rather strongly that she adopt a standard starfleet uniform. As for never 'butchering a Starfleet uniform, remember 'in universe' those particular uniforms are some 35 years in the past, so you may yourself want to "join us in the 'present day' as it were with regard to Star Trek (as even CBS somewhat acknowledges that STO is the actual continuation of the 'Prime' ST Universe'.

Secondly, she's got 4 pips on that uniform, meaning she's a Captain. No captain running around in a miniskirt and half-open shirt could be taken seriously.
    Look, we all know what this is. It's a shameless attempt to up-sex the game a bit. If that's what Cryptic wants, that's their choice. Don't try to obfuscate it or claim that it's somehow more "Star Trek". Be honest with yourselves.

FYI - I never claimed it's 'more Star Trek' - I was refuting someone's statement that is 'wasn't Star Trek' - and sorry; TOS WAS Star Trek, without which you would never have had TNG, DS9, et. al. - that's all I was ever saying.

That saud, in the end, remember, Star Trek is NOT a guiding philosophy for anything (never was). It was/is entertainment that occassionally did some social commentary disguised in a science fiction setting - but in the end, it was in fact designed te entertain (and make GR and Co. a lot of money.) - Just saying.
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    The Trois character is Betazoid (the opposite of vulcan)
    Emotional , extrovert , nudist , matriarchial , ranged telepath
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sexy women in Star Trek...my god man that' never been done.

Sexy women in a Video game.... No no say it isn't so.

Sexy women in a Start Trek video game....ohhhh the horror.

I say Cryptic, make more sexy captains....and add shirtless men to make things even so people can quit whining that a fake character is giving them dirty thoughts. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    "Dirty thoughts"???

She looks unwell
    I want to get her to sick bay and check out her inner ear function (and remove the obvious parasites living in her top)

Please state the nature of the improbable bust?
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Because they have biological components they cannot live without.

They do breathe; we saw one gasp for air in "Regeneration" (though that might have just been a reflex). More likely they can just survive without air for a short time.

I'm pretty sure I saw a spray of blood when he stabbed it in "First Contact".

So are ours.

Says who? How do you know it's "mostly" from their implants? Which episode did they say that in?

The actual assimilation doesn't involve chopping people up. That's just how they augment each drone to be more useful to the Collective.

Viruses are alive. So are a lot of other weird things in the Star Trek universe. They've presumably changed the definition by the 24th century.
    "Dirty thoughts"???

She looks unwell
    I want to get her to sick bay and check out her inner ear function (and remove the obvious parasites living in her top)

That I can agree with. :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Sexy women in Star Trek...my god man that' never been done.

Sexy women in a Video game.... No no say it isn't so.

Sexy women in a Start Trek video game....ohhhh the horror.

I say Cryptic, make more sexy captains....and add shirtless men to make things even so people can quit whining that a fake character is giving them dirty thoughts. :D

I'm still waiting for the option to send my ladies into combat wearing bikinis. ;)
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Because they have biological components they cannot live without.
    Clearly not
    the Queen is 100% machine in a skin suit

They do breathe; we saw one gasp for air in "Regeneration" (though that might have just been a reflex). More likely they can just survive without air for a short time
    that and actors breathe
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sollvax

I'm pretty sure I saw a spray of blood when he stabbed it in "First Contact".
    im pretty sure he doesn't bleed

Quote:

So are ours.
    not exactly ours is a multi directional compound system
    theirs is more like a pond filter
    Quote:

Says who? How do you know it's "mostly" from their implants? Which episode did they say that in?

A "dead" borg sits up in voyager (purely the implants)

Quote:

The actual assimilation doesn't involve chopping people up. That's just how they augment each drone to be more useful to the Collective.

not exactly they remove healthy tissue to render the drone less efficient and unable to function if it rebels
    Quote:

Viruses are alive. So are a lot of other weird things in the Star Trek universe. They've presumably changed the definition by the 24th century.

Actually Viruses aren't exactly alive
    they replicate using a living cell but are not themselves anything more than a complicated Weapon
    Quote:
    "Dirty thoughts"???

She looks unwell

That I can agree with.
    I wonder if maybe she has been given the same injection Kirk got in jj verse and swelled up in a different place
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    STO Forums needs a Hall of Fame for especially lulzy threads like this one. :cool:
  • Options
    d3cubedd3cubed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Wow that new background is bloody TRIBBLE. That open top should never have been made in the first place. Males get an under shirt, but females luck like that! And justification for this or is it so the little adds for STO make teen boys giggle and subscribe?

Stupid move.

Can I remove the background?

THANK YOU! I'm glad someone else sees this for what it is: an attempt by cryptic to use sex to bring male players (pun intended) into their bed.

I was happy with most of season seven, why did you have to TRIBBLE it up with this?
    I support Handsome Phaser Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    cryptic.. you did it wrong.. use the mirror universe outfits next time :D

then watch people qq again :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Given what we're actually discussing, I find the irony of your statement amusing. As for watching the entiorety of Star Trek, I HAVE - and from the third season of TOS through TAS (which you may or may not have heard of) - the TOS feature films, TNG, DS9, VOY (well I'll admit I gave up on VOY after its first season, talk about bad writing, and writing a Captain character as if she's Bi-Polar ;)); and ENT - it was watched all first run/when released.

She sported a Skant for the TNG pilot - then a catsuit, and sometimes a sheer turquoise dress until the 6th season when Captain Edward Jellico suggested rather strongly that she adopt a standard starfleet uniform. As for never 'butchering a Starfleet uniform, remember 'in universe' those particular uniforms are some 35 years in the past, so you may yourself want to "join us in the 'present day' as it were with regard to Star Trek (as even CBS somewhat acknowledges that STO is the actual continuation of the 'Prime' ST Universe'.

FYI - I never claimed it's 'more Star Trek' - I was refuting someone's statement that is 'wasn't Star Trek' - and sorry; TOS WAS Star Trek, without which you would never have had TNG, DS9, et. al. - that's all I was ever saying.

That saud, in the end, remember, Star Trek is NOT a guiding philosophy for anything (never was). It was/is entertainment that occassionally did some social commentary disguised in a science fiction setting - but in the end, it was in fact designed te entertain (and make GR and Co. a lot of money.) - Just saying.

It was my polite way of pointing out that you're stuck in the same sexist mindset of pointing out TOS as the guideline for what is Star Trek w/ regards to uniforms. This ain't the 60s anymore, man. Having the majority of females be half-naked was how things were at the time. We're in the 21st century now, though. That just ain't the way it is anymore, and we've got 50 more years worth of Star Trek to prove it.

As you point out yourself, Troi's outfits were largely not official Starfleet. She certainly wasn't wearing anything as blatantly TRIBBLE as this. If you're going to try to tell me that this TRIBBLE outfit is the new official Starfleet uniform, you need to lay off the Ferasan Chag grass. That would be absolutely ridiculous. The only reason they even put in the "canon" bit about crews choosing their own uniforms was so we could get away with wearing a TOS Uniform or a TNG or Voyager, that's how they sell more uniforms.

TOS was Star Trek, but now it's also TNG, DS9, VOY, the movies, etc. Where women aren't treated as just pieces of meat and objectified, as you'd suggest. Women are flesh and blood characters just as much as any of the male characters. If you think TRIBBLE-dressed women represents Star Trek, you're stuck in a long-dead age.

You're the most naive person on this universe if you can't see that it's a blatant attempt to sell the game via sex. I don't know who you're trying to convince it's anything more than that.
  • Options
    d3cubedd3cubed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It was my polite way of pointing out that you're stuck in the same sexist mindset of pointing out TOS as the guideline for what is Star Trek w/ regards to uniforms. This ain't the 60s anymore, man. Having the majority of females be half-naked was how things were at the time. We're in the 21st century now, though. That just ain't the way it is anymore, and we've got 50 more years worth of Star Trek to prove it.

As you point out yourself, Troi's outfits were largely not official Starfleet. She certainly wasn't wearing anything as blatantly TRIBBLE as this. If you're going to try to tell me that this TRIBBLE outfit is the new official Starfleet uniform, you need to lay off the Ferasan Chag grass. That would be absolutely ridiculous. The only reason they even put in the "canon" bit about crews choosing their own uniforms was so we could get away with wearing a TOS Uniform or a TNG or Voyager, that's how they sell more uniforms.

TOS was Star Trek, but now it's also TNG, DS9, VOY, the movies, etc. Where women aren't treated as just pieces of meat and objectified, as you'd suggest. Women are flesh and blood characters just as much as any of the male characters. If you think TRIBBLE-dressed women represents Star Trek, you're stuck in a long-dead age.

You're the most naive person on this universe if you can't see that it's a blatant attempt to sell the game via sex. I don't know who you're trying to convince it's anything more than that.

Well said sir.
    I support Handsome Phaser Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We're in the 21st century now, though. That just ain't the way it is anymore,

I want to know what version of the 21st century you're living in, because if T'jiggle and nearly every other form of media out there is any indication, you're hilariously wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Alternate name suggestions seem to abound

lets not forget

T'pheavy
    T'pless
    and Slutik
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012

So you'd rather go back to the 1950s where women were expected to cover everything from the neck down? I find it hilarious that you think a choice of clothing is "TRIBBLE" and turns her into a "piece of meat"; it really shows your own sexist ideas.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    d3cubed wrote: »
    THANK YOU! I'm glad someone else sees this for what it is: an attempt by cryptic to use sex to bring male players (pun intended) into their bed.

I was happy with most of season seven, why did you have to TRIBBLE it up with this?

The stupid part of it is that they've decided that they're not interested in half of the human population and the money they possess and just want to keep the Babymen pleased.
    <3
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Actually many men (those who are actually mature) do not fall for this sort of thing
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Clearly not

the Queen is 100% machine in a skin suit

She had more implants than the others, but she still looked around 30-40% flesh to me.
    that and actors breathe

Out-of-universe, sure. In-universe, the Borg breathe.

Just watched the scene again. When it gets sliced in the shoulder there's a spray of blood.

We never saw the Borg equivalent of a heart, but I assume it would work the same way, or even better.

Its implants started up, but it was still dead. Maybe they were missing the input from its organic brain. ;)
    not exactly they remove healthy tissue to render the drone less efficient and unable to function if it rebels

Why would they want to make their drones less efficient? And from what I've seen, they could care less whether a drone "rebels" or not. The only exception was the Unimatrix Zero rebellion, but that was on a much larger scale than a couple errant drones.
    they replicate using a living cell but are not themselves anything more than a complicated Weapon

I'm no biology expert, but I would think if they reproduce and can sustain themselves, they probably qualify as life.

lets not forget

T'pheavy
    T'pless
    and Slutik

I like the last two, though "Slutik" is probably a bit extreme.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    She had more implants than the others, but she still looked around 30-40% flesh to me

Well the whole body below the shoulders is artificial
    and the upper bit is a metal skull and spine with flesh stretched over it
    basically she is a robot core used to store the personality of a long dead woman
    Quote:

Just watched the scene again. When it gets sliced in the shoulder there's a spray of blood.
    Do not remember him bleeding but ill take your word for it (I don't have first contact on DVD)
    Quote:

We never saw the Borg equivalent of a heart, but I assume it would work the same way, or even better.

why would it be better?
    its artificial and we know that biology always trumps technology

Quote:

Its implants started up, but it was still dead. Maybe they were missing the input from its organic brain.

Nah it was just too far from the collective
    Quote:

Why would they want to make their drones less efficient? And from what I've seen, they could care less whether a drone "rebels" or not. The only exception was the Unimatrix Zero rebellion, but that was on a much larger scale than a couple errant drones.

Well if they wanted them efficient they would be individualised and 100% organic wouldn't they ??
    Quote:

I'm no biology expert, but I would think if they reproduce and can sustain themselves, they probably qualify as life.

I thought that as well until recently watching a documentary on them
    A Virus is merely a replication machine it is not actually capable of existing outside of a living cell
    Quote:

lets not forget

T'pheavy
    T'pless
    and Slutik

I like the last two, though "Slutik" is probably a bit extreme.
    T'pless is my favourite im actually tempted to create a Boff of that name and for the first time EVER move the bust slider past 1/3rd
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I want to know what version of the 21st century you're living in, because if T'jiggle and nearly every other form of media out there is any indication, you're hilariously wrong.

Last I checked this was a thread where people were complaining about the removal of Phaser Dude and insertion of Captain Cleavage. Maybe if we weren't complaining you'd have a point.
    So you'd rather go back to the 1950s where women were expected to cover everything from the neck down? I find it hilarious that you think a choice of clothing is "TRIBBLE" and turns her into a "piece of meat"; it really shows your own sexist ideas.

Thank you for a perfect example of what's known as a Straw Man argument.

Yes I know you're all shocked that I'm advocating we put this woman in *gasp* an actual Starfleet uniform. I know, I know, you'd miss all the cartoon boob and leg you desperately want, and we can't have that.

It may be hard to grasp for the more sexist among you, but you can actually have an attractive woman that isn't exposing her chest.

I tell you what, I will happily concede if you can provide a canon source of a Starfleet Captain dressing this provocatively in a Starfleet Uniform, or a Vulcan in a Starfleet Uniform that exposes that much cleavage.

I mean seriously, you guys are trying to claim that that image is "Star Trek"?
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Well, I guess you missed my last paragraph that stated 'Star Trek' was created as entertainment to bioth entertain and make the creators and distributors money.

Also, if hyou look at ALL 24th century Star Trek, the set in the 22nd century 'Enterprise' series (as well as JJ Abrahm's Star Trek - circa 2009) - I think you'll see the current makers of Star Trek are ALSO stuck in that 'long dead age.'

Also, please point out where I said I DON'T believe that it's a blatant attempt to sell the game via sex. It OBVIOUSLY is.

My point (which you seem to miss) is simple: Someone said: "This isn't Star Trek"... relating to the sexed up image.

My response: "If you WATCH Star Trek, you'll see it IS part of Star Trek because in the end, Star Trek is entertainment." - followed by my reasons for stating why I think it's so.

You're the one who said, "You need to watch more Star Trek and move to the 'Modern era'.

Well, my point was - I have; and there's still plenty of times from 1966 - 2009 (which is the last time to date we've had 'new' Star Trek on TV or in film); where Star Trek has been 'sexed up' in an attempt to sell Star Trek related products, get ratings, or get butts in theatre seats. <---- You're the one fooling yourself believing otherwise; or that somehow 24th Century era Star Trek has never done this; or had it as a part of it.

Again Star trek is entertainment, not a philosophy or a religion. As for GR's 'vision', hyou might want to read a biography on the man before you go thinking he too was somehow above using 'sex' to promote Star Trek at various points in the IP's run.