test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Last I checked this was a thread where people were complaining about the removal of Phaser Dude and insertion of Captain Cleavage. Maybe if we weren't complaining you'd have a point.

But I do have a point. You're trying to make a claim that the 21st century is a morally superior age, when it's pretty obvious it isn't. That claim has no legs to stand on, because that's still the way it is.

At any rate, I stand by my original assertion that our covergirl is pretty well dressed all things considered, and while perhaps not the best representation of Star Trek, she's far better an image of women than most MMO's you see nowadays. Her skirt is longer than any uniform skirt we ever saw in Trek for Spock's sake, and her cleavage is only marginally more out there than Troi's ever was. People are getting all feminazi up-in-arms over a picture who's dressed like a friggin' nun compared to Rift (whose outfit is held on by prayer) or League of Legends (one woman in that whole picture and she just happens to be the only one showing any skin). You all look silly trying to argue this as offensive and insensitive when at best it's a little tasteless. Talk about blowing things way out of proportion...

The only thing questionable in that entire picture is what the artist was smoking when he came up with that hilarious pose.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    why would it be better?
    its artificial and we know that biology always trumps technology
    Well if they wanted them efficient they would be individualised and 100% organic wouldn't they ??

That's not how the Borg think. In their view, perfection only comes when the organic and the synthetic are combined. That way you get (no pun intended) the best of both worlds.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's their philosophy.
    T'pless is my favourite im actually tempted to create a Boff of that name and for the first time EVER move the bust slider past 1/3rd

Ironically, that would probably get you banned.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, I guess you missed my last paragraph that stated 'Star Trek' was created as entertainment to bioth entertain and make the creators and distributors money.

Also, if hyou look at ALL 24th century Star Trek, the set in the 22nd century 'Enterprise' series (as well as JJ Abrahm's Star Trek - circa 2009) - I think you'll see the current makers of Star Trek are ALSO stuck in that 'long dead age.'

Also, please point out where I said I DON'T believe that it's a blatant attempt to sell the game via sex. It OBVIOUSLY is.

My point (which you seem to miss) is simple: Someone said: "This isn't Star Trek"... relating to the sexed up image.

My response: "If you WATCH Star Trek, you'll see it IS part of Star Trek because in the end, Star Trek is entertainment." - followed by my reasons for stating why I think it's so.

You're the one who said, "You need to watch more Star Trek and move to the 'Modern era'.

Well, my point was - I have; and there's still plenty of times from 1966 - 2009 (which is the last time to date we've had 'new' Star Trek on TV or in film); where Star Trek has been 'sexed up' in an attempt to sell Star Trek related products, get ratings, or get butts in theatre seats. <---- You're the one fooling yourself believing otherwise; or that somehow 24th Century era Star Trek has never done this; or had it as a part of it.

Again Star trek is entertainment, not a philosophy or a religion. As for GR's 'vision', hyou might want to read a biography on the man before you go thinking he too was somehow above using 'sex' to promote Star Trek at various points in the IP's run.

So you're claiming it's only entertainment and therefore any of the ideals it claims to stick to are meaningless?

There's a difference between having sexy characters and having TRIBBLE characters. If the new Uhura wore a bikini as her "uniform" that would be TRIBBLE. Even in TOS Uhura's uniform was attractive without being blatant cleavage.

Perhaps you'd care to show us all a Starfleet Uniform that was "sexed up" as you put? Perhaps you'd like to show us the "sexed up" Starfleet Captains in uniform? Feel free to show us a "sexed up" Vulcan in Starfleet Uniform.

Or perhaps you can't actually back up any of your statements.
  • Options
    tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    But I do have a point. You're trying to make a claim that the 21st century is a morally superior age, when it's pretty obvious it isn't. That claim has no legs to stand on, because that's still the way it is.

At any rate, I stand by my original assertion that our covergirl is pretty well dressed all things considered, and while perhaps not the best representation of Star Trek, she's far better an image of women than most MMO's you see nowadays. Her skirt is longer than any uniform skirt we ever saw in Trek for Spock's sake, and her cleavage is only marginally more out there than Troi's ever was. People are getting all feminazi up-in-arms over a picture who's dressed like a friggin' nun compared to Rift (whose outfit is held on by prayer) or League of Legends (one woman in that whole picture and she just happens to be the only one showing any skin). You all look silly trying to argue this as offensive and insensitive when at best it's a little tasteless. Talk about blowing things way out of proportion...

The only thing questionable in that entire picture is what the artist was smoking when he came up with that hilarious pose.

So your argument is, everyone else does it?

Hate to break it to you but just because these MMOs do it, doesn't mean that we need to follow suit, nor does that make it okay.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Another question would be: Could I have some? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So your argument is, everyone else does it?

Hate to break it to you but just because these MMOs do it, doesn't mean that we need to follow suit, nor does that make it okay.

My argument is it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.
  • Options
    lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes I know you're all shocked that I'm advocating we put this woman in *gasp* an actual Starfleet uniform.
    Last I checked, that was. Of course, complaining about having an STO character in a Starfleet uniform when we have dozens of possible clothing options is pointless. However, she is in fact wearing an actual Starfleet uniform.
    Thank you for a perfect example of what's known as a Straw Man argument.
    I know, I know, you'd miss all the cartoon boob and leg you desperately want, and we can't have that.
    It may be hard to grasp for the more sexist among you, but you can actually have an attractive woman that isn't exposing her chest.
    Thank you for a perfect example of what's known as a Straw Man argument.
    The irony dripping from your post is hilarious.
    I mean seriously, you guys are trying to claim that that image is "Star Trek"?
    About as "Star Trek" as the original was. At least it looks like she's doing something other than sitting on the bridge being a glorified telephone operator. I'm sorry if a bit of exposed skin makes you freak out, but most of us here have stopped being 12 and thinking girls have cooties.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My argument is it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Exactly. Is T'its a good thing? No. Is she a bad thing? No. Is her existence and reasoning behind it a stupid thing? Very, very yes.

Sex, titilation and fanservice aren't intrinsically bad things, it can be used to celebrate the human form, carnal desires, beauty, love, affection, and passion. But when it's so overt that it's being used as lazy marketing ploy to rope in hormone ridden nerds with no class and dignity then that's when it becomes something stupid and offensive.

I guarantee you that you could take T'its, uniform, cleavage, high heels and all, and turn it into something far more worthwhile.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Back in the 1960's Star Trek, Kirk nailed every woman he could. Also while the clothing was skimpy they could not show the female belly button. The show pushed the limits as far as they could.

Fast forward to 1980's TNG, counselor Troy had plunging neck lines but she was considered by most civilian and her planet had no taboo about nudity. When Picard was captured by the Cardassians she was "forced" by the acting captain to wear less revealing clothing.

The image isn't really about ST or even this game. The image is all about selling sex to horny young men. Sex sells to the typical male and that is what that image is all about. It doesn't upset me or irritate me or even surprise me that they traded for a hot babe. It is a marketing ploy pure and simple. The number of posts in this thread proves the success.
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Back in the 1960's Star Trek, Kirk nailed every woman he could. Also while the clothing was skimpy they could not show the female belly button. The show pushed the limits as far as they could.

Fast forward to 1980's TNG, counselor Troy had plunging neck lines but she was considered by most civilian and her planet had no taboo about nudity. When Picard was captured by the Cardassians she was "forced" by the acting captain to wear less revealing clothing.

The image isn't really about ST or even this game. The image is all about selling sex to horny young men. Sex sells to the typical male and that is what that image is all about. It doesn't upset me or irritate me or even surprise me that they traded for a hot babe. It is a marketing ploy pure and simple. The number of posts in this thread proves the success.

Yes.... but as I said in my post, there are a million ways it could have been done more tasteful. In a half an hour I could make something with the same "assets" (Lolz) and have it be more tasteful.
  • Options
    lancemeszaroslancemeszaros Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Tasteful is subjective. It honestly boggles my mind how all she's showing is a small amount of cleavage and it's somehow distasteful. Walk around a populated area on an average day and you'll see a lot more. Hell, watch primetime TV on an average day and you'll see a lot more.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Taste is subjective. That is true.

Women having money and an interst in spending it is not. Having your ad show a confused looking woman who is about to fall over because her **** threw her balance off does not say, "Ladies welcome."

It says, "This game smells of man funk, Red Bull, and bitter resentment."

Handsome Phaser Guy looked like a hero. T'TRIBBLE looks like a moron.
    <3
  • Options
    cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Your new cover art of the half naked sex toy sucks rotten tribble turds.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Tasteful is subjective. It honestly boggles my mind how all she's showing is a small amount of cleavage and it's somehow distasteful. Walk around a populated area on an average day and you'll see a lot more. Hell, watch primetime TV on an average day and you'll see a lot more.

Small! Looks more like um all of it.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I guarantee you that you could take T'its, uniform, cleavage, high heels and all, and turn it into something far more worthwhile.

I guarantee if you took her, put her in Handsome Phaser Guy's pose, made her look at where she's shooting, but changed nothing else, she'd look 100x better.
    • A) The skirt and heels are off-screen in the proposed pose, so these are rendered a non-issue
    • B) The cleavage is argumably even more prominently displayed, considering that posture would jut her chest out a bit
    • C) Looking where she's aiming would drastically reduce that vapid air-head look.
    • D) Looking on-balance rather than about to fall on her face does wonders for her perceived competence.

You end up with a picture that makes her look competent without undermining the "sex sells" angle.

If I wasn't convinced I'd TRIBBLE it up with my crappy outdated anime drawing style that I haven't practiced in literally years, I'd sketch up an example and upload it. >:C
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes.... but as I said in my post, there are a million ways it could have been done more tasteful. In a half an hour I could make something with the same "assets" (Lolz) and have it be more tasteful.

I never think selling anything based on sex is tasteful or moral. I am just saying, it is doing exactly what they wanted. However it has been stated there is nothing really "showing" in the artwork. To criticize this work, the combination of her leaning forward, the exposed cleavage, and the facial expression doesn't strike me as "natural" in any way shape or form. In short, it appears posed. All these elements in this work don't match up with the idea that this woman is supposedly in combat shooting at an enemy. Her body position is in a very unnatural mid-air dive. Anyone in this position would not have such a look on their face. She seems to be pondering what she ate for breakfast. She is not looking in the direction she is firing nor is she looking in the direction she is falling.

The male version he was in a fighting stance and as I recall, he was looking in the same direction he pointed his weapon. He also had a bit of a scowl on his face indicating he meant to kill something and not caress it. Women can look both mean and sexy at the same time. The current artwork just look stupid. But both stupid and sex sells.
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    torrynwoodsrunnertorrynwoodsrunner Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I guarantee if you took her, put her in Handsome Phaser Guy's pose, made her look at where she's shooting, but changed nothing else, she'd look 100x better.
    • A) The skirt and heels are off-screen in the proposed pose, so these are rendered a non-issue
    • B) The cleavage is argumably even more prominently displayed, considering that posture would jut her chest out a bit
    • C) Looking where she's aiming would drastically reduce that vapid air-head look.
    • D) Looking on-balance rather than about to fall on her face does wonders for her perceived competence.

You end up with a picture that makes her look competent without undermining the "sex sells" angle.

You mean something like this?
    mystogirl-a.jpg

That took me maybe an hour to put together...granted I had to take a few creative liberties...

And just because I don't need cleavage, here's the exact same shot, in a Voyager-style uniform:
    mystogirl-b.jpg

Who knows...maybe I'll play around and make a whole complete image out of it...
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Absolutely agreed.
    I never think selling anything based on sex is tasteful or moral. I am just saying, it is doing exactly what they wanted.

That's a matter of taste, and yes, things based on sex can be wholesome and tasteful. After all, family is based on sex when you really get down to it.
    The male version he was in a fighting stance and as I recall, he was looking in the same direction he pointed his weapon. He also had a bit of a scowl on his face indicating he meant to kill something and not caress it. Women can look both mean and sexy at the same time. The current artwork just look stupid. But both stupid and sex sells.

That I do not disagree with.
    If I wasn't convinced I'd TRIBBLE it up with my crappy outdated anime drawing style that I haven't practiced in literally years, I'd sketch up an example and upload it. >:C

I'll give it a crack. Why not?
    mystogirl-a.jpg

That took me maybe an hour to put together...granted I had to take a few creative liberties...

And just because I don't need cleavage, here's the exact same shot, in a Voyager-style uniform:
    mystogirl-b.jpg

Please do. If you got rid of the manicured nails and gave em' backgrounds these would be awesometastic. :D

BTW: where did you get the uniform models? :confused:
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    mystogirl-b.jpg

Nice job.
    extra letters
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited December 2012
    BTW: where did you get the uniform models? :confused:

If you're familiar with DAZ Studio or Poser, the model for the uniform is the V4 Bodysuit. The textures are a couple of freebies I found on ShareCG.

No promises on when I'll have Stunning Phaser Woman finished...but I'll keep working on a full image, and post it here when I'm done.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    If you're familiar with DAZ Studio or Poser, the model for the uniform is the V4 Bodysuit. The textures are a couple of freebies I found on ShareCG.

I see, thought it looked familiar. Nice job with it anyways.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Thank goodness for these re runs, it got her off my launcher for now.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lol i dont understand all the hate for the Vulcan, seems clearly havent seen a female Orion...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    dom1941 wrote: »
    lol i dont understand all the hate for the Vulcan, seems clearly havent seen a female Orion...

There's actually very little to do with the fact that she's Vulcan, although it does factor in somewhat. The main 'hate' is that is just plain bad art (sorry Original Artist, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em). Far too many things that should never have been allowed to pass on a production piece.

To sum up a few:

1. Body position is awkward and skewed, making her look like she's about to fall on her face, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Her center of balance is too far forward, and her body angle is way off-center for a running pose.
    2. Her firing line is random...no direction indicated. Simply adjusting the direction her eyes are looking would improve this. Right now, she's just shootin' off in any ol' direction...hardly proper for any law enforcement or military personnel.
    3. Her expression is almost totally vacant. While Vulcans are masters of suppression and control of emotion, they are not totally devoid of it. T'Boob looks like a cross between Kristen Stewart reading her bad press and a toddler who just got her favorite toy taken away.
    4. TRIBBLE. I like TRIBBLE. Just about everyone likes TRIBBLE. Or they lie about it. But there's a place for TRIBBLE, and it isn't pouring out of a Starfleet uniform. At least not in the quantity being poured. While I'm sure an argument could be leveled for large-breasted Vulcan women in Starfleet, or extremely low-cut or daringly open uniform closures, neither are necessary here, and in fact only add to the top-heavy and off-balance look of the subject. She could have just as easily been a C-cup with less visible cleavage and been attractive, instead of a Triple-D defying physics against whatever magical technology is holding that uniform as closed as it is.

Now, those things being listed, it doesn't matter if she's a Vulcan, an Orion, or a Human. The above still apply. The only thing that would allow for any variance would be #4, because an Orion wouldn't be likely to be in a Starfleet uniform, and would thus have more allowance given for wardrobe...flexibility.

While the background of the piece is done quite well, the female subject, in the opinion of many, simply doesn't convey what we feel is the attitude of the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek is about 'Boldly going where no one has gone before' (Handsome Phaser Guy), not 'Help me because I'm a vacuous twit who doesn't know what she's doing' (Pretty Phaser Lady).

Nothing about her says 'bold' or 'confident', everything about her says 'incompetent' and 'clumsy'.

And that's why many, including myself, feel she's not an appropriate iconic for the Star Trek Universe, or the game.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lol we still moaning about the vulcan ? :O

We need more Undine!!!! have a undine on the front page tearing a borg in half.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Have a male Andorian drop kicking a borgs head off
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So add a caption like "Play Now, My Lord!" and then the picture finally fits.

Months later... STO? Oh that game with a close-up of a woman in somewhat revealing attire with large cleavage and the caption... and it has Star Trek too.
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mystogirl-a.jpg

mystogirl-b.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about. You can keep the TRIBBLE, I like them too, but at least make her look compentant like this. T'TRIBBLE just doesn't have it. But this one looks like she can make something hurt.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There's actually very little to do with the fact that she's Vulcan, although it does factor in somewhat. The main 'hate' is that is just plain bad art (sorry Original Artist, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em). Far too many things that should never have been allowed to pass on a production piece.

To sum up a few:

1. Body position is awkward and skewed, making her look like she's about to fall on her face, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Her center of balance is too far forward, and her body angle is way off-center for a running pose.
    2. Her firing line is random...no direction indicated. Simply adjusting the direction her eyes are looking would improve this. Right now, she's just shootin' off in any ol' direction...hardly proper for any law enforcement or military personnel.
    3. Her expression is almost totally vacant. While Vulcans are masters of suppression and control of emotion, they are not totally devoid of it. T'Boob looks like a cross between Kristen Stewart reading her bad press and a toddler who just got her favorite toy taken away.
    4. TRIBBLE. I like TRIBBLE. Just about everyone likes TRIBBLE. Or they lie about it. But there's a place for TRIBBLE, and it isn't pouring out of a Starfleet uniform. At least not in the quantity being poured. While I'm sure an argument could be leveled for large-breasted Vulcan women in Starfleet, or extremely low-cut or daringly open uniform closures, neither are necessary here, and in fact only add to the top-heavy and off-balance look of the subject. She could have just as easily been a C-cup with less visible cleavage and been attractive, instead of a Triple-D defying physics against whatever magical technology is holding that uniform as closed as it is.

Now, those things being listed, it doesn't matter if she's a Vulcan, an Orion, or a Human. The above still apply. The only thing that would allow for any variance would be #4, because an Orion wouldn't be likely to be in a Starfleet uniform, and would thus have more allowance given for wardrobe...flexibility.

While the background of the piece is done quite well, the female subject, in the opinion of many, simply doesn't convey what we feel is the attitude of the Star Trek franchise. Star Trek is about 'Boldly going where no one has gone before' (Handsome Phaser Guy), not 'Help me because I'm a vacuous twit who doesn't know what she's doing' (Pretty Phaser Lady).

Nothing about her says 'bold' or 'confident', everything about her says 'incompetent' and 'clumsy'.

And that's why many, including myself, feel she's not an appropriate iconic for the Star Trek Universe, or the game.

Alright I see your point, But for the "shooting in any ole' direction" thing it maybe telling "something" I mean she may be provideing covering fire for her away team while running to cover, its just a guess and my opion but i understand . But the main reason why I like the Vulcan is that she almost looks EXACTLY(uniform needed) like my main character on STO. Hair color, eyes, facial features, ect. I mean its like shes become famous, a shame shes being hated but again understandable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    dom1941 wrote: »
    Alright I see your point, But for the "shooting in any ole' direction" thing it maybe telling "something" I mean she may be providing covering fire for her away team while running to cover, its just a guess and my opinion but i understand .

This is gonna go off topic for a moment, and for that, I apologize. I'll bring it back on track at the end, I promise. I'm just really enjoying the conversation. :)

Just for the sake of discussion, providing cover fire -while- in motion? That's very Hollywood. In all my prior military exercises, cover fire was provided from...you guessed it...cover! Members of the Fire Team would provide cover fire from position while others moved. Then those individuals would provide cover fire while the ones who were covering move to the new position. At no time while you're firing is your attention on anything other than where you're firing. Even in the rare situation where you -must- move and fire at the same time, you set your travel path mentally ahead of time, and -still- watch your firing line while you move.

Watch this gunfight scene. (It's from the Season 3 finale of Leverage)

With the exception of one shot during the main fight, and the end where it goes completely Hollywood Cowboy, you'll see that Eliot has plotted his movement to where he can focus on aiming while moving, not moving while shooting. It's a decent example of what I'm talking about. His eyes are tracking his targets, not his movement. And they are -never- looking directly at the camera, which T'Boob is most definitely doing.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Vulcan. I just don't like the execution of the piece, because professional art should provide professional result, and in my assessment as an art professional, it doesn't measure up...too many glaring errors.

I'm sure if I had a large enough copy of the original, and some time in Photoshop, I could edit her to remove some of those errors. But I'm already a starving artist...I certainly can't afford to work for free. *grin*