test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    therealted wrote: »
    What's with the Vulcan hoochie on the front page? :confused:

Well, see, they want to get a more international audience because they like their game characters real sophisticated like in other parts...
    <3
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    All I know is I got my wallpaper. And it makes me happy. :D
  • Options
    h3llr4is3rh3llr4is3r Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Oh come on, it's just some art. One might object that the low cut top is not exactly within Star Trek style, granted, the short skirt however definitely is.

What's wrong with an attractive IMAGINARY lady being on the front page? Before her, there was an admittedly handsome IMAGINARY guy of similarly unrealistic proportions - he's got the thinnest, male-model like hips and waist and the shoulders and arms muscles of some steroids-enhanced bodybuilder. They both have unrealistic proportions, they would both topple over with the weight of their upper bodies if were somehow real, however is it ok to show some impossibly thin, muscle bound guy but not ok to show a thin lady with an equally oversize bosom.

One might object that they don't like the style or execution - that's a different story; One could argue that it was about time to put a hulking starship there and I might agree, although the idea of showing an officer is mostly to attract non-trekkie players, which would otherwise be led to think it's a space only game (I've actually been asked this question often about the show itself, "but do they ever leave the ship? Otherwise it's booooring!").

Last thing, she might very well be Romulan - when Spock was undercover on Romulus on TNG he wasn't altered to have the forehead ridges; Therefore, there must be quite a lot of Romulans not sporting them; At least enough to allow a Vulcan to roam the streets without being identified.
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    h3llr4is3r wrote: »
    What's wrong with an attractive IMAGINARY lady being on the front page?
    Because once you get past the hoochieness, she looks like she tripped while running in heels? The pose is extremely contrived, and that and the costume are obviously geared towards showing off the goods.

She could be just as "sexeh" while standing solid, proud, and competent, in a pant suit. As it is (and I hate saying this as a politically incorrect straight male), it's just plain insulting.
  • Options
    h3llr4is3rh3llr4is3r Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    therealted wrote: »
    Because once you get past the hoochieness, she looks like she tripped while running in heels? The pose is extremely contrived, and that and the costume are obviously geared towards showing off the goods.

She could be just as "sexeh" while standing solid, proud, and competent, in a pant suit. As it is (and I hate saying this as a politically incorrect straight male), it's just plain insulting.

The first part is about the style and execution of the picture; You have a good point, it's a matter of taste and artistic perception. I am more than fine with that.

The second part, I just cannot understand. It is supposed to be an action picture; Probably, a battle situation - she might be dodging disruptor fire, leaping into cover or whatever else. She doesn't look "incompetent", whatever she is wearing, unless the person looking at the picture actually judges a woman by her clothes.

What I find mildly offensive is that if the subject was a burly man, with a ripped shirt, bulging muscles, bloodied face and a tough look on his face (e.g. Kirk in that famous episode), nobody would have been giving a passing glance to it. If it's a woman, then her clothes and heels define her.
  • Options
    splingemcgrawsplingemcgraw Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm not bothered by scantily clad women advertising a korean owned MMO, I'm surprised it took this long to be honest.

What I am bothered about is the angry stripper being a vulcan. It just seems inappropriate. Use a trill or andorian or something.
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The second part, I just cannot understand. It is supposed to be an action picture; Probably, a battle situation - she might be dodging disruptor fire, leaping into cover or whatever else.
    The problem I have with this sort of "action" picture is that the action being taken is never clear. Is she leaping for cover - or is she stumbling and about to fall on her face? (hence my comment about "incompetence")

The whole pose is so contrived as to be unbelievable, and is designed for no other reason than to demonstrate her assets. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see "phaser energy" squirting or dribbling out of her weapon.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    whatever she is wearing, unless the person looking at the picture actually judges a woman by her clothes.

Other than her clothes what is there about her?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,108 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Other than her clothes what is there about her?

well... she is either in a windy planet or next to a industrial fan.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    One might object that they don't like the style or execution - that's a different story;
    One might, and in fact I have. Again, let's compare Exhibit A with Exhibit B. What we have on the front page is much closer to A, and to avoid looking like a cheap asian MMO one step away from bikini armor I, for one, would like to be greeted with something closer to B in style and execution.
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What I am bothered about is the angry stripper being a vulcan. It just seems inappropriate. Use a trill or andorian or something.

Are we positive she's Vulcan? She does seem to have a furrowed brow, and while she might just be 'frustrated' from tripping, it could also be a subtle, Romulan forehead sloping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I don't care wether she's Vulcan or not, this was my initial reaction when I first saw her:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLs-PkfUS2g

P.S.: She IS a Vulcan, 100% sure. Plain, emotionless face, numb K-Stew gaze, no wrinkleson her forehead... Pretty much gives it away.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    auricius wrote: »
    I don't care wether she's Vulcan or not, this was my initial reaction when I first saw her:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLs-PkfUS2g

P.S.: She IS a Vulcan, 100% sure. Plain, emotionless face, numb K-Stew gaze, no wrinkleson her forehead... Pretty much gives it away.

Tommy Wiseau, not the TV! :(
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Omg you peeps crack me up, havent you ever watched star trek tos, tng, ds9, enterprise and all the scantily cladded women on them, this is as much cannon as the ships , or anything else star trek, I see tons of ladies every day showing as much and more in real life, And guess what there are alot of ladies out there who are umm well blessed upstairs. so get by it and just injoy the game.
  • Options
    greyrydergreyryder Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    redricky wrote: »

Was that girl involved in some sort of transporter accident. I'm pretty sure those should not be clear up to her collar bones like that. She should see a doctor, immediately. :eek:
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I suspect this image is the love child of Spock and Uhura from JJ verse
    A mother with unnatural assets a father with no sense of balance or logic

and why is she a Grand high admiral of the upper universe
    she is at least 30 years too young AND still in action

Admirals do not jump out of moving space ships
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    dwadsdwaddwadsdwad Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have to say the current picture is very 'lol'. Or at least that was what my fleet were saying.

The worst thing about it for me at least is the Kristen Stewart blank, emotionless look on her face.

Coupled with the fact that shes floating in space while firing a phaser in a random direction (shes not even bothered what she is firing at) just makes it all feel a bit awkward.

Its a very awful image.

Ive never actually seen someone draw a promotional picture before where the character looks bored of the product. She looks like shes fed up and just wants to go home.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well shes VA rank
    so she probably did 40 STFS this week
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Well shes VA rank
    so she probably did 40 STFS this week

Probably more the fact that she realised even at VA ranking she still has to water plants for the Romulans.

Being a Janitor never felt so overpaid.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Admirals do not jump out of moving space ships

They do in STO. :D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Omg you peeps crack me up, havent you ever watched star trek tos, tng, ds9, enterprise and all the scantily cladded women on them.

Ah of course this makes it okay then.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Omg you peeps crack me up, havent you ever watched star trek tos, tng, ds9, enterprise and all the scantily cladded women on them, this is as much cannon as the ships , or anything else star trek, I see tons of ladies every day showing as much and more in real life, And guess what there are alot of ladies out there who are umm well blessed upstairs. so get by it and just injoy the game.

And are those scantily clad women representative of Star Trek as a whole? If not, then we shouldn't have one on the front page of the Star Trek Online site.

Her uniform and cleavage isn't really what bothers me. It's her pose and her expression.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    And are those scantily clad women representative of Star Trek as a whole? If not, then we shouldn't have one on the front page of the Star Trek Online site.

Her uniform and cleavage isn't really what bothers me. It's her pose and her expression.

What expression?

Ive seen mannequins with more enthusiasm and emotion than her. Its Kristen Stewart all over...

!!CHANGE!!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Escher Girls, a Tumblr site dedicated to mocking and/or correcting inappropriately sexualized lady pictures, has given our new friend T'TRIBBLE a shout out.

The pride, it swells.

Or is that her nose after her TRIBBLE slap her in the face?
    <3
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well that made my day... FOLLOWED!!! :D
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Made my day too, love the comments under it as well.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    <3
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »

OH MY GOD THAT IS BRILLIANT!!! :D

I spy with my little eye... MY NEW AVATAR!!! :D

EDIT: Damn. Looks like crapicus when shrunk down. Maybe I'll make a new siggy later. :P
  • Options
    keepcalmkeepcalm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That .... I ... it is ...

Just yes.
    that is exceptionally YES.
    Now I must go over there, laugh hysterically and pass out.
    "The halfling way of battle is simple: You jump on their face and keep stabbing until the screaming stops."
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Riker of course waxes his chest
    Live long and Prosper