test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012

Comments

• endafreshendafresh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just so there's some context: I'm a silver/f2p player, not a gold or lifetime sub.

STO devs, I'd like one change implemented ASAP as a possible way to ameliorate the significant whining and belly-aching of most people on the forums here and in-game.

Raise the amount of dilithium that can be refined each day for Gold and Lifetime subscribers.
    Currently the cap is 8k for F2P players.

Hear me out here but I believe that reducing this cap for F2P players to something like 4k dil while increasing it for Gold and Lifetime subs will encourage more people to subscribe and provide you with more stable income.

Get your sales/discounts going on both long-term subs and lifetime subs!

So a TLDR chart:

Dilithium Refining Cap (Before/After)
    F2P: 8k / 4k
    Gold: 8.5k / 16.5k
    Lifetime: 8.5k / 24.5k

Do this and watch the money come in and a lot less people whining about lack of dilithium.
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    The number of players that were earning 1440 dilithium on all of their ALTs by running simple Foundry missions (ie - click one thing on Earth Space Dock) and then selling that Dilithium to the exchange, then buying it back on their main forced us to make this change.

If you want the 1440 Dilithium from the Foundry daily - you must play a Foundry mission that "qualifies" - meaning it has to be at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

We've held off on making this change in the hopes that players would police the simple missions and have them removed - but it just didn't happen.

If we had a better solution for the Foundry daily, we would go with it - but for now - Sorry you have to play at least a 15 minute long mission.

We will look into increasing the reward if the average length of Foundry missions that players are playing is greater than 15 minutes - but we're waiting to see if players will stop using these missions as an "easy" way to get Dilithium.

What about making the Investigate Officer Reports only require 1 or 2 Foundry missions instead of 3?

I think the issue is that people don't want to play 45-60 minutes for 1440 Dilithium when they can spend 40 minutes and do 2 STFs (which may be more fun to some people) for 1920 Dilithium.

Nobody's saying we should keep the 1-click pinata, but foundry missions can be a complicated creature. You don't know what you're going to get unless you run the same missions over and over, and afaik there's no way to tell if a foundry mission qualifies for the 15-min clock requirement. If I complete it too fast does it not count? The unknown factor of doing a foundry mission has a greater mental barrier to entry than doing STFs or something known.
  • naldorannaldoran Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Great changes to the dilithium economy, and nice to see feedback being listened to finally. :)

Any chance of getting PvP private queues getting turned back on immediately? Cooldown timers shouldn't matter much for those, and it's really hampering pvp activity.

Secondly, how long does the omega marks -> dilithium project take? Considering that I can easily earn 180 omega marks from just two STFs, if it takes an entire day to run the conversion project, there will be a very large pile up of useless omega marks.

Thirdly, where is Voldemort on the bug priority list? PvP is virtually unplayable with that one around.
    12th Fleet | Sad Pandas | Starfleet M.A.C.O.
  • admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Holy Smokes, there seems to be some work on the Season 7 nightmare release that looks like it's making things a little more bearable! Thank you!!! For listening to the community and looking to make comprimises without giving away on every dream/idea you have but at least attempting to find a middle ground somewhere and continuing to look to improve upon it!

Edit: 45 minutes for a full investigate officer reports? Seems a bit much. I'd say 25 minutes might be good, stfs can take about 20 minutes and I think that might reflect better.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To be fair to Jack - he has been the most vocal champion of the changes that you see in this list. He plays STO a lot and always has really good feedback. I just like to blame him for things because he's fun to tease.

If there is anyone that deserves the shame, it is me because ultimately the buck stops here and if something goes live, I approved it.

Luckily, I can also change it :)

Fortunately, Season 6 (and now Season 7) have been such positive improvements to the game (and the health of the business), I've been able to increase my staff and for the first time in Season 8 - tackle something awesome and on my long standing engineering report to do list.

If things keep going this way - the team will be able to start knocking off all of the features and content goals we've had since day one. It really is a good time for STO and we hope that with your support - it continues!

You are fun to tease too. Honestly with changes that are being stated going in seems to make it for the better. The only areas I can see besides a pvp rep system going in and such to help this game is the filling of the lack of KDF ship types we want to see and better functionality of how the b'rel operates and then I'd pretty much be a happy camper as far as my views.

Edit: Also do something about the doff situation... For one for multiple characters a lot of people have that expanding doff capacity by 25 or 100 is way too expensive either for the person trading dilithium or person paying zen if i were to max the toons i doff with to 400 it would cost me in excess of 600 dollars. Also the doff requirement for most starbases is just way too high and on top of that they give a crappy amount of fleet credits for donating large quantities of them.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    endafresh wrote: »
    SNIP

So a TLDR chart:

Dilithium Refining Cap (Before/After)
    F2P: 8k / 4k
    Gold: 8.5k / 16.5k
    Lifetime: 8.5k / 24.5k

Do this and watch the money come in and a lot less people whining about lack of dilithium.

Um ... just No.
    This wouldn't make silvers buy subscriptions in droves.
    If anything this would drive a good deal of the player base away.
    F2P, silver accounts support this game too.
    Your idea is very ... Well , let's just say that it echoes certain economic policies that benefit only the rich, and penalize those who are not , well, rich.

Your idea in a nutshell is.

Let's nerf the dilithium cap for Silvers by half !!!!!!!!!
    And then DOUBLE the cap for Golds !!!
    Triple it for Lifers !!!

Which translates to ... TRIBBLE over the poor and benefit the rich.

My TL:DR Version :

Terrible idea.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In January we'll be releasing an Andorian Ship on the Federation side to be quickly followed by the STO 3 Year Anniversary Event. This special celebration will be released with a new one-off Feature Episode. If you were at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco this last weekend, Denise Crosby would have you believe that this episode is going to be all about Tasha Yar and Sela. We'll see... anything can happen.

The anniversary event will also offer a new special free ship for both Fed and Kdf players much like we gave away the Odyssey during last year's event.

So ... Andorian ship will be released for FEDs giving them yet another ship.

No new KDF ship beyond a free one that mirrors a FED one at anniversary.

Anyone want to bet that the free ones will be stripped down ships that you will want to buy an upgraded C-Store version of????
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    genhauk wrote: »

Anyone want to bet that the free ones will be stripped down ships that you will want to buy an upgraded C-Store version of????

I'll take that bet.
    Because it's obvious (and smart) for them to do that, especially if it is the long awaited Ambassador.
  • forcardassia6forcardassia6 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you were at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco this last weekend, Denise Crosby would have you believe that this episode is going to be all about Tasha Yar and Sela. We'll see... anything can happen.

Based on her comments, this just screams 'bad plot' to me. Especially if it involves clones. I like Tasha (and wish she would have stayed on for more than 3/4 of a season)... but she should just remain dead as it just cheapens what happened in the show.
    In January we'll be releasing an Andorian Ship on the Federation side to be quickly followed by the STO 3 Year Anniversary Event.

So since there's a Vulcan ship, a Caitian ship (LOL), and now an Andorian ship. Is there any chance we could get a Tellarite ship too some day down the line? It would only make sense since the Tellarites are one of the founding members of the Federation.
  • maicake716maicake716 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    when is pvp going to get fleet marks/omega marks/romulan marks as reward options?
    mancom wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
    Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
    Do you even Science Bro?
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is actually fantastic. I'm actually feeling ill in anticipation. But by far, the best bit is this:
    Time for a STO Season 7 Update
    Thank you for the both the kudos and the criticism (although some of you need to learn some manners).

So so true that. It's quite sad to see 80% of a community ragequit the game and froth at the mouth because their digital purple crystals where temporally taken away.

Good on you Cryptic, Can't wait for these changes !(AND A FREE SHIP)
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    maicake716 wrote: »
    when is pvp going to get fleet marks/omega marks/romulan marks as reward options?

When Games Workshop advances their plotline :)

So far all these changes seem to be in a positive direction. I agree with them, and I can't criticise anything.

On the punish silver players policy.... the same thing is in place with the Old republic.

What it did? It made sure I will not buy anything from the EA store in game (Which is honestly very, very bad with few things to choose from) .

If I can choose to give my money to PWE or EA, EA will not see any of it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That should be in the patch notes, but forgot to mention that we are changing the Fleet Action daily to reward 50 Fleet Marks instead of Dilithium now that we're added Dilithium for completing every Reputation Project.

We will continue to add ways to earn Fleet Marks where needed as we continue to monitor the overall economy.

good stuff look forward to testing these changes out see you in game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    genhauk wrote: »

im crossing my fingers and HOPE that the season 8 kdf focused content will add more ships and from then on will be (fed ship-kdf ship). fingers crossed we shall see
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luxchristianluxchristian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the changes :-)

I didn't mind the 40hour delay. That gave me enough time betweeen the projects to farm the marks for my 3 chars :-)

The reduction on the commondy is a good thing :-)
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I'm really glad to see a lot of these changes coming. I am enjoying Season 7 so far, now that it's getting the changes to make it less of a grind fest again.

I still think you seriously need to address the 200,000 Dil projects for Starbases and Embassies, for those of us with small fleets (I'm the only active person now) 200,000 Dil is not a small feat on top of all the Dil requirements to simply advance the bases themselves.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you want the 1440 Dilithium from the Foundry daily - you must play a Foundry mission that "qualifies" - meaning it has to be at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

We've held off on making this change in the hopes that players would police the simple missions and have them removed - but it just didn't happen.

If we had a better solution for the Foundry daily, we would go with it - but for now - Sorry you have to play at least a 15 minute long mission.

Does that mean the Foundry daily has been reduced to only a single, 15+ minutes mission, or do we still have to do three of them?
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Does that mean the Foundry daily has been reduced to only a single, 15+ minutes mission, or do we still have to do three of them?

If i have to spend over a minute to watch my eyes bleed at how horrible game play is in the foundry I'd just never do that daily again.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like the changes a lot.

Since queues were mentioned, I have a request. Could you please consider adding the possibility of choice between joining *New* or *Ongoing* events in the PvE queue, just like the PvP queues are?

The PvE queue keeps sending me to ongoing missions. Namely, ground STF missions that already failed the optional. It's -very- frustrating.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    :::throws snowball:::

*makes a bigger snowball and throws it back* HA HA.....right in the taco!!!
    maicake716 wrote: »

Indeed,when will there?

Also,I would like to see the option of being able to choose what kind of Marks we get from STF's and the Romulan missions,or a way to convert Omega and Romulan Marks into Fleet Marks.

That brings me to the Borg and Romulan story missions,when will they also reward their respective Marks?
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is great and all, but still there is no reduction (or mention of such) for the Duty Officer Dilithium Exchange Prices. Therefore, it'll be longer than just a week before I continue playing this game.

I'm seriously disappointed here. Many have complained at the Dilithium Rewards for STF, so have had the Dilithium Rewards increased. Many have complained at the Duty Officer Dilithium Exchange Prices, and instead have been ignored.

I guess I'll continue to be one of those who boycotts this game for the time being.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    So... it's your fault then that PVP is in the shape that it's in?

Sure it's more balanced, but where's the leaderboards? The new maps? The Ranking systems?

Why didn't Omega Marks get added to the Ker'rat/N'vak/Otha/etc Daily? It is fighting against the Borg in a very open and group way..

And what about the Foundry? Making your own PVP maps would have been a new and outstanding way to make use of the foundry and kept PVPing fresh and exciting IMHO.

And for God Sakes why is there no Timers for Disconnecting in order to reduce DC griefing/Kill avoidance in PVP?????

If the Buck stops with you. And if you are truelly the one who approves the changes that go into STO, then why aren't you trying to help STO's PVP more? When Season 7 was released, it felt like instead of doing more to help pvp, you've done more to push PVP away from STO.. Is this your final goal? Are you going to try to fade PVP to the point where instead of working on it, your going to simply Eliminate it?

I can't speak for everyone in the game, but personally, I have been hurt and upset with the state of STO's PVP part of the game. No, upset is to nice of a word, Betrayed is better.

I'm not expecting a response, and more likely expecting flaming. But at least I'm getting my opinion out there.. And even if it's not the most popular, if it even helped to bring about a positive change towards PVP in STO, I'd be happy. And don't you think 3 Years is long enough of a drought for PVP?

Good points, 10/10. Ball's in your court Cryptic, do you have a response with substance behind it?
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
    edited November 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Bad move in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind a reduced Dilithium reward from the Daily, but i'd also like to see Fleet Marks given as an OPTION when accepting the Daily reward. Instead of removing the Dilithium completely from the Daily, let us choose whether we want "50 Fleet Marks" OR "xxxx Dilithium". Obviously, the possibility that players would choose Dilithium (and get Dilithium for Fleet Action Completion) would exist. But it would also allow us as players to choose which reward we desire most at the time.

yes pls im in a fleet of two people and since the removal of UGC dailys the fleet progress have literaly stopped i just cant seem to get decent amounts of fleet marks.

and now we have the mebassy too there is just not enough hours in the day to grind a far amount of marks dilthium sucks too but was do able would be nice if we were not bottle necked into grinding fleet events like crazy which means i cant play my stfs and id rather play stfs tbh.

personaly id rather have a loot bag that contains all types of currencys not matter what you play with abvously fleet action awarding more fleet marks but still giving us some overall currency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    So... it's your fault then that PVP is in the shape that it's in?

Sure it's more balanced, but where's the leaderboards? The new maps? The Ranking systems?

Why didn't Omega Marks get added to the Ker'rat/N'vak/Otha/etc Daily? It is fighting against the Borg in a very open and group way..

And what about the Foundry? Making your own PVP maps would have been a new and outstanding way to make use of the foundry and kept PVPing fresh and exciting IMHO.

And for God Sakes why is there no Timers for Disconnecting in order to reduce DC griefing/Kill avoidance in PVP?????

If the Buck stops with you. And if you are truelly the one who approves the changes that go into STO, then why aren't you trying to help STO's PVP more? When Season 7 was released, it felt like instead of doing more to help pvp, you've done more to push PVP away from STO.. Is this your final goal? Are you going to try to fade PVP to the point where instead of working on it, your going to simply Eliminate it?

I can't speak for everyone in the game, but personally, I have been hurt and upset with the state of STO's PVP part of the game. No, upset is to nice of a word, Betrayed is better.

I'm not expecting a response, and more likely expecting flaming. But at least I'm getting my opinion out there.. And even if it's not the most popular, if it even helped to bring about a positive change towards PVP in STO, I'd be happy. And don't you think 3 Years is long enough of a drought for PVP?

Nicely put, never was Atari, isn't PWE, maybe not even cryptic Jack, but Dastahl. And yes! I would love to hear some of your 3y ongoing brainstorming on these problems.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    endafresh wrote: »
    I hate to break it to ya but STO was never balanced or created around a PvP focus. <snipped out wall of anti-PvP whine>

Really? From my understanding, most of my science skills are nerfed into nigh-oblivion because PvP-ing tactical officers in MVAEs and Science ships were using their tactical buffs to make science skills nigh one-hit-kills, and the easiest way to "fix" the problem wasn't to find a way for sci-sci's to mix skills, traits & obscure damage types so that we approximate the DPS of an escort, instead I've been nerfed into a pit where, from my readings on PvP needs, my Sci is nothing more than a "shove the nigh-invulnerable heal cruisers so far away from the battle so the healed-by-my-team-escorts can blast the not-being-healed-anymore-escorts"

This proves that someone wants to balance STO for PvP, even though it seems to be "kneejerk" reactions instead of a comprehensive, well thought out plan. Supposedly a comprehensive, well thought out plan/rebalance was in the works, but that dev has moved on and there is no word on his replacement or said replacement's work on that project... (seems finding ways to "adjust" dilithium income is more important for all the devs than finding ways to balance a fraction of the game that might help rejuvenate the KDF a hair...)

And no, I'm not a PvPer, and even if it's fixed I don't plan on becoming one. I just understand that other people don't have the same tastes/desires in a game that I do, but in a "massive multiplayer" game, you need to cater to different playstyles some...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dilithium still seems like a major issue to me, so 1k/day for the rep projects is nice, but outside of Doffing (lets avg 2.5k/day for Feds) and the rep projects what is there to earn dilithium on? If the majority don't run STFs, as claimed, and Fleet actions just had their daily dilithium removed... Aren't we in worse shape now, or am I missing something?
    Forcing people to grind on the very low selection of poorly made dailies isn't ideal.

I also have a long standing and increasingly growing concern over game bugs. Bugs are being fixed far less than being introduced. Some areas of the game are so bug filled it feels all you ever do is play around bugs. I understand that fixing bugs doesn't generate revenue, but it is a function required as it helps to maintain current revenue. When we enter an area and are trapped and forced to log out due to bugs there is a major problem, these things shouldn't be low priority; but they are, or go completely ignored. It really isn't acceptable
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In January we'll be releasing an Andorian Ship on the Federation side to be quickly followed by the STO 3 Year Anniversary Event. This special celebration will be released with a new one-off Feature Episode. If you were at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco this last weekend, Denise Crosby would have you believe that this episode is going to be all about Tasha Yar and Sela. We'll see... anything can happen.

The anniversary event will also offer a new special free ship for both Fed and Kdf players much like we gave away the Odyssey during last year's event.

So, am i the only person who thinks that this is going to be The Enterprise C, the ambassador class, and Tasha Yar all in one delicious day?
  • x5xxx5xx Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for this update. :)

And Happy Holidays to you too !
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited November 2012
    hmmm happy holidays. but i am not sure which ones you have as i am on the other side of the world (Australia).

I would like to take the time to say thank you guys, you have restored some of my faith. :o:o:o:o
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    We will look into increasing the reward if the average length of Foundry missions that players are playing is greater than 15 minutes - but we're waiting to see if players will stop using these missions as an "easy" way to get Dilithium.

Is this the reason why the dil from daily VA B'Tran was dropped, because it was an easy way to get dil
This discussion has been closed.