What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 7 Update! More Changes Inbound! Posted Nov 20, 2012

Comments

• Options
    oldlordskull73oldlordskull73 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Okay, Dan....I know you're a busy guy and all....

...but come on....

....still waiting for you to play my 3-hour Foundry mission! ;)

Back on topic. I like the idea of "career" reputation tiers for the future.

As for Foundry mission length vs. reward given for the dailies...I am in agreement with another poster that suggested that the reward should scale with the difficulty and average completion time of the mission. As stated above, my mission can take around three hours to complete, if the player takes the time to read all of the dialog and explore. Although I could easily have broken the mission up into several different missions, I opted to keep it a feature-length one...this was mainly due to my fear of having a limited amount of mission slots to play with. I'm sure if the reward was more substantial for playing it, I'd see more traffic. ;)

It is refreshing to see new captain skills becoming available! Are we going to see new bridge officer skills in the future as well?

I would definitely like to hear more of your ideas on helping smaller fleets progress their starbases easier. I am dying for those ultra-rare weapons...but unfortunately, with a 10-man fleet, that will be a long time coming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    Good catch - the Excelsior should be able to get to this sector. I'll punt that over to the ship team.

Can we have the transwarp conduit Tier III that sends ships to Romulan space (Alpha Centauri, Psi Velorum, and Iota Pavonis) include Tau Dewa as well?
    Heard and understood. It is still tough for fleets under 25 players to achieve Starbase goals in a reasonable time. We will look more into this and see if there are other things we can do to help. We've already adjusted the top tier projects down a few times and we may do so even more in the future.

In Dev Blog #17 you said Tier 4 and 5 starbase projects had already had dilithium costs reduced 10% and 20% [see quote below]. All the changes in that blog had taken effect but not the dilithium costs -- can you confirm these are still happening and concurrent with the changes that you announced today in blog #20?
    dastahl wrote:
    How Dilithium rewards changed in Season 7 to meet these goals

We reduced the amount of Dilithium required for Fleet Holding progression.
    Dilithium requirements were reduced by 10% for Tier 4 Advancement Projects and 20% for Tier 5 Advancement Projects. While not many Fleets had yet to obtain a Tier 4 Starbase, this is a significant adjustment from Season 6 project Dilithium requirements to help Fleets complete the last two tiers of their Starbases. We will continue to monitor Fleet progression and adjust if we feel further changes are necessary.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    LOL, I read dastahl's post as "Holy TRIBBLE! The natives are revolting!"
    And I bet the average Dil income dropped horribly, I know mine did.
    Everything monetarily related in S7 just seemed to scream "Hi, I'm here to ruin your day and/or empty your wallet!"

Glad to hear some of the horrible decisions they made are being moderated.

But I still ain't shelling out any more Dil on fleet projects till the TRIBBLE-storm is over. Especially useless Dil sinks like the Special Projects. 200k for some visual something at a fleetbase no one goes to. yay.

And while I'm on the subject of empty fleetbases. The Officer of the Day mission ain't worth the time to do for 5 fleet marks. Even if the mission was just 'run to guy, say hi, and he hands you 5 marks' wouldn't be worth the transwarp and jog across the fleetbase.
  • Options
    flazizlle0flazizlle0 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I understand what your saying, but I'm saying if someone couldnt follow those 4 steps when they were given to them, I'm not sure if anything else would help them either.

If you ever dealed with my fleet you'd understand. Put simply they need a visual tutorial where it shows them exactly where to go and what to put into the fleet. These are the kind of members that don't even know how to beam out into space until someone it explains it a million times. It really is pitiful...
    (Note: I might be exaggerating a bit...)
    ~FlaZizLLe
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dan... you keep this up... you might gain a reputation for actually listening to your player base... (Heres a hint: KEEP THIS UP!)
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 924 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    flazizlle0 wrote: »
    If you ever dealed with my fleet you'd understand. Put simply they need a visual tutorial where it shows them exactly where to go and what to put into the fleet. These are the kind of members that don't even know how to beam out into space until someone it explains it a million times. It really is pitiful...
    (Note: I might be exaggerating a bit...)

Too complicated. Stick figure drawings, perhaps :D Or simple flowcharts.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    :::throws snowball:::
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    That's not really fair and not representative of our relationship with PW. Yes we have budgets and goals, but they are not involved in our game design. All the changes in Season 7 were Cryptic's doing and we are more than willing to change based on feedback. PW is really not the big bad guys. Jack on the other hand... :P

Kudos on owning the SNAFUs, but scapegoats are handy little critters... ;)
  • Options
    mattmiraclemattmiracle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »

Takes snowball and turns it into Snow Cream.
    Matt Miracle

Fleet Commander in Chief [Rank 7] for Covenant of Honor; a FED T5 Starbase
    House Leader [Rank 7] for Honorable House of Mor'gue; a KDF T3 Starbase
    Find us at CovenantofHonor.com.  My Twitter handle; @jmattmiracle
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012

<ducks>

Throws Several Cryo-Tribbles back at ya!

:P

Hey TF how about working up and presenting a proposal for a Glommer???

If you're interested of course... many Klingon's would sing your praises to Kahless.

:)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Instigator!!!!!!! :D
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Lets hope this game will have some "dream loot" to hunt in each PvE mission.Nothing important aslong you wrap it nicely and give it a good icon for inventory :rolleyes:

Im still playing terradome hoping to get a borg kit..... :o
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Also possibly look at reviving that idea for alt-to-bridge officer conversion. It was mentioned a long time ago. People are going to be focusing less on alts in the game as it is now and allowing people to do something with them would be beneficial, both to players with alts and, I think, your sales.

Yup, my alts just sit at SFA. Hard enough to grind gear for one toon, let alone four. With that in mind, I have very little impetus to buy ships from the Z-store that I would only use for one of my alts. Take the Vesta, cool ship, but not worth $50 for my Sci alt that never leaves Sol.

If not for the Doff system, my alts would probably have been deleted by now. I log on, assign doff missions on my alts, then play on my main. I don't really see anything happening anytime soon to change that cycle.
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    EDIT:
    thank you for these updates.

Have to check what the Fleet Action Daily is, though.. :)

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yup, my alts just sit at SFA. Hard enough to grind gear for one toon, let alone four. With that in mind, I have very little impetus to buy ships from the Z-store that I would only use for one of my alts. Take the Vesta, cool ship, but not worth $50 for my Sci alt that never leaves Sol.

If not for the Doff system, my alts would probably have been deleted by now. I log on, assign doff missions on my alts, then play on my main. I don't really see anything happening anytime soon to change that cycle.

You don't have to buy all three versions...

I plan on just getting the Surveillance Explorer this week when I get paid, for my current toon.
    (Liberated BORG Science Officer)

I'd love to be able to buy the Bundle, but this close to Xmas I just can't afford it.

Soooo, I'll get the one now and later on down the road pick up the other two when I can afford them.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Seems I have another use for this image: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/DaveAshton1986/faith.jpg

With changes of this kind being made I may even need to change my signature :D
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The number of players that were earning 1440 dilithium on all of their ALTs by running simple Foundry missions (ie - click one thing on Earth Space Dock) and then selling that Dilithium to the exchange, then buying it back on their main forced us to make this change.

If you want the 1440 Dilithium from the Foundry daily - you must play a Foundry mission that "qualifies" - meaning it has to be at least 15 minutes of gameplay.

We've held off on making this change in the hopes that players would police the simple missions and have them removed - but it just didn't happen.

If we had a better solution for the Foundry daily, we would go with it - but for now - Sorry you have to play at least a 15 minute long mission.

We will look into increasing the reward if the average length of Foundry missions that players are playing is greater than 15 minutes - but we're waiting to see if players will stop using these missions as an "easy" way to get Dilithium.

You are correct about some people doing this but alot of people did this to help there fleets and there starbases, and this realy helped the smaller fleets out, so punish every body for what a few do, hmmmmm, oh also your comint on some player feedbacks they need to learn some manners you are correct on this but i have seen some of your dev who could use some manners as well at time and even yourself, i seem to remember w hile back you cussed on the forums, so i guess no one is perfect, we should all think before we speack or leave comints.
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dan,

Its nice to see the changes coming in the next few weeks prior to Dec, but I do have to ask is that you ask to give feedback to you guys in order that things like bugs and what not not make it into live, but still when feedback is placed... things just continue being the same and still get in even though its eather been posted, and people continue to say something in that specific thread.. so are you guys going to change things around the team and also release things abit further before hitting holodeck to get the nessary time in for a season no less, so bugs are killed and changes like what happened in this perticular season dont happen again. We understand there will be issues but.. this many in this season was abit much... and its been like this since launch.. sorry to say.

Also.. 29th century outfits.. its been on hold for long time. Can we get them in sooner then later pls. Brandon talked earlier that they are almost ready.. we all know to well what "almost/soon/ect" means around here so clarification on when would be nice seeing as you had a trailor posted on these so long ago... know where iam going with this.

And.. to what you have stated on the "upcomming" list. Andorian ship coming in January, thats awsome and we all know how long thats been in the "works" for now so its finally nice to see.. but again.. we are not learning are we, where is the KDF love. I dont have to go back to the times we have to remind you that you have 2 factions in this game... pls start treating the game so, and not soley putting the love to federation pls and ty. Remember the 200 day kdf reward i faught/talked about for so long to get established.. can we get something in jan for the kdf also pls.

Iam loven being back in STO, I dropped TOR.. please dont make me go back lol.

Cheers
    Locutus
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks Dan for making sure STF loot drops are coming back. My EC reserves have slowly been dwindling since S7 launched for lack of any loot to sell.

One problem I do have though still is doffs and fleet projects. Prior to S7 the system worked well for me in my small fleet. We needed doffs for projects, so a bunch of fleet creds got turned into fleet doffs, which then went into projects.

Trouble is, I can only do that so many times before my roster is bloated with whites and needs to be purged to get the next bunch in the hope of getting the required ones for a project. I purged unwanted white doffs by up-grinding them. This simultaneously made room for more doffs and retained the value of the fleet marks I'd spent on them.

Now, with the absurd doff upgrinding dil price I don't want to do this any more. As Dil is just as important for the 400k Dil worth of fleet projects we need to fund. I'm now stuck with too many white doffs of no value to me or my fleet and no way to get rid of them economically (short of selling >200 white doffs 1 by 1 on the exchange, which just isn't a good solution)

Any chances of having the upgrinding cost returned to previous Dil levels?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited November 2012

If there is anyone that deserves the shame, it is me because ultimately the buck stops here and if something goes live, I approved it.

Luckily, I can also change it :) ...

dastahl has earned another rank in his Playerbase Reputation Tier. Choose a reward!

[Flame Retardant Suit XII] <== ==> [Captain's Log Replay Button(to relive those first beautiful and innocent days)]

In all seriousness, when people go nuts on the forums I tend to plant my feet and say that you are after all responsible developers and on our side. Not the out of touch badguys.

It's really nice to be vindicated.

Now like I said last time; keep it up.
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Are there going to be adjustements to the insane damage Borg Cube and Gate Tractor Beams do? They deal around 1800-2000 with each tic, which is completely destroying me without being able to do much.
  • Options
    thegrimcorsairthegrimcorsair Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just fix the free CMDR BOff slots having a shuttle can get you, and I'll be a happy pirate.

Okay.

A reasonably civil pirate.
    If you feel Keel'el's effect is well designed, please, for your own safety, be very careful around shallow pools of water.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2012
    Wow, some good positive changes. Kudos to the devs for listening to the playerbase :D
  • Options
    crioijoulscrioijouls Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mr. Stahl and dev gurus:

First off, I'd like to say that I had some initial "iffy" thoughts on S-7, with some of the changes that I had seen. So far, I've seen alot of good things. I'm especially happy for the reputation system in order to have a an easier time getting the much-coveted STF sets, rather than praying for luck to get the uber-rare proto-tech drops, (which I only managed to obtain a single one on one character, as a casual gamer. This does not take into account how many STFs I've had to leave over people bailing out due to a failed optional objective.)

Will the timers for ALL projects there be lessened to 20 hours vs the current 40 hours for EXP-gaining missions and the requisition projects, or does this apply only to the 2,000 and 800 EXP projects? And will it be possible to claim ALL of the abilities that are present under the reputation tier levels?

I think you guys, quite frankly, out-did yourselves with the New Romulus map. I have never seen such a monster-size map in STO, or any other MMO I've played. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you guys got in store for us in terms of new maps, zones, and stuff.

I'd love to see ship interiors get that large, as we all know that the ship interiors from the shows/movies are ginormous. I'd really like to see more areas on our ships, such as holodecks, recreation areas, gymnasium, arboretum, shuttlebay, and other areas we've seen in the shows. I'd also love to see things where we can do more interacting with our ship interiors, such as changing alert status, maybe experience starship battles from inside our ships, actually boarding and launching a shuttle for missions that require it ("The Vault" from the Romulan/Reman series, and the shuttle mission to the Gamma Quadrant in the Dominion series). Also, the ability to pick the NPC uniform styles of your crew to be whatever main design you want, ie running all TNG-Series uniforms, or the TOS-era uniforms for the NPCs that populate the Constitution-class interior. As a suggestion, the Belfast (DS9 USS Defiant) interior would certainly benefit from having either the DS9 uniform set or the TNG-Movie set running for all NPCs, to bring the feel of "Hey, this is the Defiant from DS9. Now it feels like it," for those that may want to immerse themselves in their interiors and role-play with friends or fleetmates if they so choose.

On other ships, I'd really love to see other canon interiors. You guys did well with the TOS Constitution-class and the DS9 Defiant-class interiors. How about a canon Galaxy-class interior (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Intrepid-class interior (Star Trek: Voyager), the NX-class interior (Star Trek: ENTERPRISE), and/or the Constitution-refit interior, as seen in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan?

While on the subject of interiors, I'd like to propose more shuttle interiors. You guys have duplicated the Danube-class runabout cockpit pretty well (as it's seen on DS9) so kudos there. I'd love to see more canon shuttle interiors, like for the Delta Flyer, TOS-era Class F shuttle, and others.

For those that like to role-play, how about some more outfit options. KDF could certainly benefit from more clothing options. Also, some Risa-appropriate attire for Federation characters would be helpful for anyone wanting to role-play a vacation to Risa.

To the dilithium rewards... I know this is a very sensitive subject for some of the players. You said that you really wanted to see a larger amount of dilithium being refined by players. To help us reach our 8,000 caps more easily, here's a few suggestions. For those that want to play through just the story content, how about a dilithium earning for completing ANY mission in the story arc, whether it be the first time or on replay? This would also apply to the Featured Episode content, say something like 480 - 720 dilithium ore. For end-game players, the Special Task Force missions require a great deal of teamwork and skill to get through and be able to get the optional objectives completed. Also, lessening the cooldown timer will help them to be run more often, thus adding to the amount of dilithium ore earned. Here's a breakdown of the proposal there:

Normal STFs:
    Completion: 720 dilithium ore
    Optional Objective completion: 10% bonus for all players to dilithium ore and Omega Marks
    Base Omega Marks stay the same
    Cooldown is 30 minutes until it can be replayed.

Elite STFs:
    Completion: 1,440 dilithium ore
    Optional Objective completion: 25% bonus for all players to dilithium ore and Omega Marks
    Base Omega Marks stay the same
    Base Borg Neural Processors stay the same
    Cooldown is 30 minutes until it can be replayed.

While on the subject of the STFs, there's been several times when I've ran the space ones, and I've gotten hit with what's been termed "invisi-torps" (invisible torpedoes) that do an insane amount of damage and act like an instant kill. Are these being looked into as well, because they're very annoying.

Also, the auto-fire has been acting up since Season 7 went live. Specifically, the "Maintain" function under "Options" > "Controls" for space combat. Any ETA on this getting back up? Asking as I had to hold down a firing button to keep firing. As soon as I let it up, I stopped firing, which isn't right.

Another suggestion: Stack sizes... I know these go up to 250 for some things, like some of the commodities. How about upping these to that level:

Hyposprays, Energy Cells, Personal Shield regenerators (ground), Ship Components (repairing ship injuries), Regenerators (healing personal injuries).

Also, maybe up to 1,000 for the following:

Data samples, Data Traces, lock boxes.

And, are there any plans to further expand inventory/bank sizes?

All-in-all, good work so far with Season 7, despite a very rough start. I'm looking forward to seeing what more good things you guys have in store.

"Mister Sulu, let's see what she's got." (Captain James T. Kirk, at the end of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home)
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2010
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    http://www.twncommunications.net/Other/Applause.gif

The applause is for the contents of the changes.

I would like to add that this recent wave of communication from you, Dan, is exactly what I have been wanting to see in this community for awhile. Weekly or even bi-weekly updates where you take time like this to communicate with, and respond to the community are great.

We don't always have to agree with the changes you guys make, but to have the games executive producer coming and explaining why the changes are being made, the design behind it, and being willing to accept feedback, and respond.

We need more of this.
    If this is a new "Feature" that started because of Season 7.
    I approve.

Hell, Dan, it doesn't even have to be you every week. Just a Dev popping in with an official update and the time to respond back and forth for a bit about what they know.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote:
    If you were at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco this last weekend, Denise Crosby would have you believe that this episode is going to be all about Tasha Yar and Sela. We'll see... anything can happen.

I'm intrigued. I'm jealous that you got to meet her, btw. Here is hoping Denise Crosby got a tour of Cryptic Studios since it's, you know, so close to SF. Wouldn't it be cool if Crosby was shown the room where voice-overs are recorded? ;)

I, too, am hopeful for the Ambassador-class starship as a reward for this Featured Episode.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    bandit2338bandit2338 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    NICE! really some good improvments!

@ DASTAHL:

but what about something like this aswell?:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=6674221#post6674221
    really only want a statement><

you really should add about adding a turn in way for omega/romulan marks. there is also another idea for stfs rewards......maybe u find it intressting?;) pls check it out and give us a feedback!

here the "turn in" idea
    idea is simple! we got because of our missions we were doing and because of the crate A LOT of marks which we never gonna use.SO what about u simple can turn them in for reputation? that way old players which had a lot of prototypes and stuff which has been converted into the crate will be rewarded for their archivments!

add a new project like the one where u can turn in the neural processor!
    that would be really awesome! all the marks we got spare would be usefull!

PLS ADD THAT!!!!!
  • Options
    redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Time for a STO Season 7 Update
    • Omega Conversion Crates can be opened immediately. You will no longer need to achieve T3 in Omega Fleet to open these.

Daniel Stahl
    Executive Producer
    Star Trek Online

Salt in the wound much Dan? I sold off all my EDCs, Borg Techs and Salvage before season 7, because I didn't want to be pressured into having to make it to T3 to use them, and now here we have it that it's open at our leisure. T_T Daaan!!! Daaan!!! Daaan!!! :p
    I'm feeling worse than the hang over left after downing a bottle of a Romulan Ale.
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    there are some good improvements there but taking ANOTHER source of dilithium away will push more people away.just sayin'
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    chivalrybeanchivalrybean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    momaw wrote: »

Well, no offense, but I would really rather that you has considered a system that didn't HAVE cooldown timers. For example, early 500 romulan marks and your reputation tier goes up immediately with all the bonuses and rewards contingent. The cooldown timers feel artificial and restrictive. Also the item requirements range from nonsense to tedious. Why does Omega Force need a pocket full of major regenerators? Do they not have any gophers in the office, that they need to have a vice admiral do this? A colony needs shield generators, logical enough, but why am *I* the one doing this. I should give the order and authorize the dispersal of resources, and one of my crew should be manning a replicator and shoving the stuff in crates.)

Weather the items make sense aside, I like being able to pick and choose what projects I put my marks into, instead of some automatic thing.

---

Glad for all these changed. I'd also like to at least hear something about the dil increase for
    doff upgrading being so high. Some I can see, but the amount is somewhat high I think. Mostly want to know if it is being looked at.

My bigger concern with the doff upgrading is, why do they have to be called under performing? Most did their jobs quite well! I hesitated to covert a few, because I liked them so much. I think I had a suggestion for a new name, but I managed to forget, and it's late.

This thread had no use of vitriolic pattern enhancers. I approve.
    Chewson Pwan - VA
    S.S. Doff Lundgren
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.