test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think it's pretty tasteless myself. She's not even attractive, that face just does not work.

+1 to bring back phaser dude, at least he looked like he belonged in a trek setting.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would have thought them to be more ... pointy ... for a Vulcan.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    talien wrote: »
    that face just does not work.

Wait? What? She's got a face too! ;)
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Romulan!
    Changeling!
    Undine!

Take your pick, I'm sure they'd all apply to her. :rolleyes:

But seriously, bring back Handsome Phaser Guy.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    captainconradcaptainconrad Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So yes, I'm in 100% agreement. So far I have rather enjoyed all the new stuff in Season 7, but really with this? Phaser guy was they guy we all want to be in STO and now... now this.

GEEK MOMENT: Okay now I like a pretty lady in an STO uniform holding a phaser with her hair waving and her cleavage hanging out, but I have a few problems with this:
    1) Do you really think the guys who play STO are that pathetic? I literally face palmed when I opened the page up.
    2) A Vulcan with her hair down!?! Sure we saw this in ST II, but she's clearly in the heat of battle and I'm pretty sure that in the heat of battle, she would still maintain her emotional control

3) and final note, I had better not be the only one who sees this, BUT WHY DOES SHE LOOK LIKE THE GIRL FROM TWILIGHT!?!?!?!?!?!?! Seriously, I can't be the only one who noticed!!!

Man you guys get one thing going good and then you have to go TRIBBLE up something else. You wanted to put in a chick? Fine, but please make her something else and give her a battle hardened expression. The current model makes this game and those who play it look like a joke.

PS
    I vote for an Andorian hottie.
    Captain_Conrad
    STO Start Date: March 2010
    June 2012, assimilated into the PWE collective. Resistance is futile.
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited November 2012

3) and final note, I had better not be the only one who sees this, BUT WHY DOES SHE LOOK LIKE THE GIRL FROM TWILIGHT!?!?!?!?!?!?! Seriously, I can't be the only one who noticed!!!

PS
    I vote for an Andorian hottie.

Now I can't unsee that!!
    Please just change the face if they're not going to change anything else.

Also, I'm all for an Andorian!
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I did not see Twilight, and I never will see it. I pity any person who had to see it.
    If it can ruin such a pretty face, its evil power and baaad acting must be fell indeed!

That is one of the few things I am NOT willing to do, not even for money.

Still, when they put on a handsome man, nobody whines. When its a pretty woman, every insecure person on the internet yells "Nooooooooooo!" .

Pretty women sell stuff. PWE knows that. At least they did something good once.

Also, nobody forces people who dislike pretty women to look at it.
    Its an image on a webpage. And as far as women in MMOs go... not really indecently dressed.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    what are you all moaning about? Pretty Phaser Lady IS Handsome Phaser Guy... transporter malfunctions happen you knows... they're rare... and sometimes for the best!

Females FTW!!

RachelJ88
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Its an image on a webpage. And as far as women in MMOs go... not really indecently dressed.

That's just it. STO shouldn't be just another generic MMO. It should at least try to look like something more representative of its franchise. I have no problem with "pretty women" in STO, but when said women are supposed to be Starfleet officers, they should actually look the part.

And I'm not opposed to it just because I think it's distasteful. I'm opposed to it because some potential new players who check out the STO main page might be driven away. Handsome Phaser Guy wouldn't have done that.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I did not see Twilight, and I never will see it. I pity any person who had to see it.
    If it can ruin such a pretty face, its evil power and baaad acting must be fell indeed!

That is one of the few things I am NOT willing to do, not even for money.

Still, when they put on a handsome man, nobody whines. When its a pretty woman, every insecure person on the internet yells "Nooooooooooo!" .

Pretty women sell stuff. PWE knows that. At least they did something good once.

QFE. Considering we can have Federation female officers run around in game wearing a midriff baring halter top, go-go boots and micro-miniskirt, T'Jiggle is pretty conservatively dressed. She isn't even wearing the high heeled boots fer cryin' out loud.

Let me be blunt and put it this way: I'm paying good money to get away from all the TRIBBLE, including political correctness, and immerse myself in another world.

A world where a Starfleet Captain like Jim Kirk can fong his way across the galaxy and not come down with an intergalactic TRIBBLE that dissolves him into a puddle of goo before dawn. (Which probably explains why Bones was always hanging around the bridge instead of his sickbay).

A world where a separated Borg female who is uncomfortable with the idea of clothing, who also has a coincidentally incredible, awesome bod, somehow prefers to wear a skintight, high heeled catsuit instead of a long loose robe and sandals.

A world where a ship's counselor shows enough cleavage to hide a ream of paper and still doesn't distract her patients during therapy sessions while reading their emotions (seriously, how did she ever get past all the feelings about her cleavage???)...

A world that has Deltans and Betazoids, two races that like going around nekkid...well, enuff said.

I think you get my meaning.

This is a world that has been pretty darn consistent in its attitude towards eye candy for all sexes. This should not be a surprise to you! If you don't care for it, you really need to find another more politically correct world to immerse yourself in. I recommend "Hello Kitty Online".

D'Stahl, I'd really, really like to see this as wallpaper. Thanks!

Just sayin'. :D
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just want to point out something.

Watch TNG season 1 again. At least the first 15 episodes have at least 1 dodgy reference to sex (recently rewatched this series and kept note, since I didn't remember it being that way), if not things alot more explicit. This is a universe with **** gangs. Entire species happily run around naked. What about that episode where Wesley trampled those plants and got sentenced to death? The women there were much more sexualised. So were the men. Are people seriously getting so bent out of shape over a drawing of a female, who is no more sexually explicit than Deanna Troi was in 5 and a half years of TNG? You have high moral codes? Fine. Good for you. There are others that are more free flowing with our outlook on life. Everyone's lives must be really well sorted out if this is the worst thing in it.

I like Handsome Phaser Guy. I like Pretty Phaser Lass. I hope they both keep turning up around the place. I would probably have done her in a different pose, but the overall design of the character is lovely, and a well done to the artist from me.

You know, I'm beginning to understand why it seems the devs never listen to the forums. Because whenever they try something new, whenever they address the balance, whenever they show us a little bit of love, it always ends up a moanfest against them. Pretty much every. Single. Time.

I went off on more of a rant there than I intended. But there we go.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    R.I.P. Handsome phase guy :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    I went off on more of a rant there than I intended. But there we go.

No, it needed to be said. The Devs need to know that we're here too, the ones that truly appreciate the Trek eye candy experience!

The forces of PC need to know that we are willing to fight against their well-intentioned but way off base motives!

/activate Winston Churchill hologram;

We will fight them on the topless beaches of Risa...the Slave Girl Dancing Halls of Orion..and the streets of Betazed (But for the love of...please, someone, anyone, pass Mrs. Troi a robe???). We will fight, and fight, until the PC scourge is wiped...from the face...of the galaxy.

/deactivate hologram;

Or until bikini's show up in the C-store. Then I'll be happy. :D

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I honestly believe that that people who get this upset over a single cleavage should go see a counselor or psychiatrist and get their insecurities checked.

T'Bust is pretty much dressed averagely by modern standards.
    You will see much, much worse on the streets.

And to those people that think its really ruining the game, well... they need to re-watch the series.
    I don't think I can find any series where women were portrayed in accordance with 1950s era fashion sense, unless we are talking about some type of monk.

On a another note.... its your choice to where to point your eyes. You can choose to look at other parts then the TRIBBLE.

"Hey buddy, my eyes are up here." - This is always an option, and I recommend it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    For me at least it's not so much about being "politically correct", it's more that her face is unattractive, she can show as much cleavage as whoever did the artwork of her wants but it's pointless if she needs a bag over her head. I'd much rather see phaser dude on the main page than that, at least he looked cool.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    :eek:, I am not upset, just fine the presentation distasteful, period.
    Where this a Navy Promotion poster (in theory), someone would be outta a job or demoted.

And yes, giving the view or display of 'sexism' on women in Trek in the past. That is not the overall statement of what Trek is, never was, and never will be.

Second, it is also directed towards one demographic ( or two), but mostly pitched to the males' perceptive. That is a failing all-around. It has been said many times, in this last decade or more. There is a female market as well.

Someone in the P&R office, has clearly forgotten that...

And firing a phaser pistol in a skirt, is very unrealistic, especially on away missions. The whole appearance is mostly a off-duty uniform as it looks. But that, is just my opinion...

And just for reference, there is currently a female pilot who commands over 1,000 or 5,000 Air Force personnel flight wing, she is caucasion, age 46. She earned her position, I know she will not be caught dead in something like that, presented by what is seen here.

I have seen other art, for women for this game site, and they convey authority, respect and they are doing the job. *Full uniform*

This current presentation is a poor choice...just that simple. As a compromise, there should be a male and female officers or enlisted done together. Enough of the one-sided view...

I honestly believe that that people who get this upset over a single cleavage should go see a counselor or psychiatrist and get their insecurities checked.

T'Bust is pretty much dressed averagely by modern standards.
    You will see much, much worse on the streets.

And to those people that think its really ruining the game, well... they need to re-watch the series.
    I don't think I can find any series where women were portrayed in accordance with 1950s era fashion sense, unless we are talking about some type of monk.

On a another note.... its your choice to where to point your eyes. You can choose to look at other parts then the TRIBBLE.

"Hey buddy, my eyes are up here." - This is always an option, and I recommend it.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Because whenever they try something new, whenever they address the balance, whenever they show us a little bit of love, it always ends up a moanfest against them. Pretty much every. Single. Time.

You're probably right. But I don't see how replacing Handsome Phaser Guy with that helps the balance or shows love to the fanbase.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It shows love that they are giving us a new piece of artwork.

Ok, I may have gone a bit overboard with my rant earlier. The point is though, this is not a recruitment drive for the army. This is not meant to be a realistic dipiction of military people. It's just meant to be an eye catching graphic about some random person doing something random. For a game. I don't get all this hate for this. I don't want it to be 100% realistic military. That is an entirely different target audience with an entirely different need. That is not fun. This is a game. It is meant to be fun.

And before anyone says I'm one of those breast obbsessed males, I'd be just as happily defeanding a bare chested guy up there if it looked like he was in a fight.

The addressing the balance was not aimed at this particular piece. It was aimed at other thigns they do. Such as everyone crying for the Borg to be an unstoppable force and not a joke, and when that happens, everyone cries for the Borg to be nerfed because they are too difficult.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It shows love that they are giving us a new piece of artwork.

Ok, I may have gone a bit overboard with my rant earlier. The point is though, this is not a recruitment drive for the army. This is not meant to be a realistic dipiction of military people. It's just meant to be an eye catching graphic about some random person doing something random. For a game. I don't get all this hate for this. I don't want it to be 100% realistic military. That is an entirely different target audience with an entirely different need. That is not fun. This is a game. It is meant to be fun.

And before anyone says I'm one of those breast obbsessed males, I'd be just as happily defeanding a bare chested guy up there if it looked like he was in a fight.

The addressing the balance was not aimed at this particular piece. It was aimed at other thigns they do. Such as everyone crying for the Borg to be an unstoppable force and not a joke, and when that happens, everyone cries for the Borg to be nerfed because they are too difficult.

I still think the mascot should be more representative of the game and its theme. However, I do see your points and I agree there are different perspectives.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    You're probably right. But I don't see how replacing Handsome Phaser Guy with that helps the balance or shows love to the fanbase.

Handsome Phaser Guy had two years up there. Now it's Attractive Phaser Lady's turn for the next two years. Call it equal opportunity! For year five it's going to be a Hermat! :cool:

And for everyone criticizing the unrealistic nature of what she's wearing...it's possible that she's at a diplomatic function at an Embassy that is suffering an UNEXPECTED Tal'Shiar attack.

And as I recall, US Military female dress uniforms (like one you'd wear for a diplomatic function) allowed for a skirt that reaches to just above the knees. And as soon as they sit down, it goes halfway up the thighs.

Not that I noticed that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Selective reading, hoo.

They put him back to the game's "About" page.

Why is the "USA Current Military style of the late 20th early 21st century" the *Only* way people think a military should and could be in a futuristic setting?

This is not just about uniforms, but everything. Ranks, roles, organisation too.

I had a LOT of trouble in my guild, because a lot of people were thinking that Starfleet is simply the contemporary US military 'IN SPACE' , instead of the more UN and NASA like organisation they are.

The Neimoidians reliance on Robotics was another good twist, as themselves were not much of a warrior race, they used their technology and money to purchase droids to fight for them.

The Tau Empire on the other hand has a rigid soldier caste system with its various trials as one advances in the ranks upwards.

So other franchises can come up with interesting new militaries, why would Trek not do the same?

STO offers the less military Feds and the more barbaric Klingons currently, thought the latter do lack content a little.

If we want to play in the modern US military style, there are a LOT, a lot of famous and well done games that do that.
    Call of Duty is a good example, and there is the always popular Counter Strike.
    But it should not be forcefully dragged into places it does not necessarily belong to, like fictional aliens and civilisations.

I'm pretty sure that Vulcans would put someone in command whose skills are tested to be good for command, no matter his or her age or looks.
    Logically they would ignore her dress code, age, looks, tea preferences and everything else in favour of her command skills.
    Even bad shooting skills would be dismissed if she shows tactical and strategic competence.
    So who cares if she prefers vulcan tea, or green tea? Or if she prefers to wear a robe, or that outfit on the picture? All she needs is tactical aptitude and a good grasp of 3D combat.

Also, she may just have been walking around on the colony, maybe studying those colourful six eyed romulan bunny-pigs.
    Epohs don't really need you to wear body armor to tag them, do they?
    I also don't see tagging them as a military expedition, more like a scientific or volunteer type of work.

Then as she was wandering the area, a cloaked Hirogen sneaked into the area, and she was caught by surprise. That's why she had that joke of a pistol instead of a proper rifle and armour, see! And it may explain her strange running-bending pose . (This is just a wild theory, of course)

And yes... Star Trek was (And still is) pretty much always aiming for the benevolent liberal style.
    Part of that is letting people wear what they want to wear.

Stereotyping women based on a jacket? That... that is not really Federation-friendly at all.
    What is happening next, are people going to abuse poor Captain Kirk for his ripped shirts?

I know at least two attractive women who dress just like that vulcan on the artwork, and they respectivly have a degree in Law and Economic studies.
    They are loyal and intelligent people, not Kelly Bundy look alikes. (And I think Christina Applegate is quite intelligent too in real life)

Nerd rant over, time to do the economic part.

If I view this from the marketing perspective, its a stroke of genius.

It targets around 95% of the playerbase, and such things can really lend a game advantage.
    It appeals to any person of both genders who finds females attractive, and also appeals to females who wants to look like that. So it covers almost everybody.
    That's the harsh reality of the situation. It appeals to the majority, and the majority is what businesses need to attract. The needs of the many indeed.
    Even PWE must know that.

It may not appeal to really hard core conservative people, but Star Trek is hardly their franchise at all.
    To be honest no PR person in their right mind would even expect them to play this game in any large numbers.

Of course, it could be topped by Phaser guy with his shirt ripped or open standing next to her, if only a way could be found to squeeze both of them onto the main page without making both of them look way too small.
    That may take a lot of UI working though, so may not be worth doing from a monetary standpoint.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please, why not make a player contest? I'm sure someone among us can draw better than the author of that nonsense on the front page.

"Draw a scantily clad attractive female on a backdrop of New Romulus firing her phaser at an unknown entity."

Or just bring the phaser guy back.

Either way I'm happy. Just no more of this falling dreamy witch ...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Frankly I'm sure the majority is fine with it.

But I would be a hypocrite if I would not support a poll to prove that.
  • Options
    marveriusmarverius Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just got the STO Season 7 email with T'TRIBBLE. The emotionless face. The hair. The dour eyes.

Fark, it's true. It's T'Pants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I'm not saying I have a problem that she's a chick. I'm saying I have issues with the fact that she's freakin T'Bella.

Now I have never personally seen Twilight and I never intend to, but the fact that STO now has a resemblance to a chick from a pop cultural annoyance. Star Trek is better than this and the fact that this game can now be associated with that series, annoys me!

Everything else is cool though.
    Captain_Conrad
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Phaser "hottie" looks exactly like the chick from Twilight:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120515220837/twilightsaga/images/d/df/The-twilight-saga-eclipse-poster2.jpg

There. Now you can't un-see it. Enjoy your regular visits to the homepage!

PS
    I'd rather this be our poster chick

http://mimg.ugo.com/201105/4/5/0/189054/cuts/blue-skin_480_poster.jpg
    Captain_Conrad
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Woks for me
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    15rcxtj.jpg

If you really want to compete on that level Cryptic... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It is too, for lack of a better description, japanimation like.

I am a big fan of japanimation and some cartoons but the female is just not quite right...I feel she is out of place and places empahsis on aspects we dont need to see in STO....

Phaser guy is a far better picture.....feels more Star trekky.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.