test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mmm, Vulcan cleavage...
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, 99% of players are guys, so only figures we'd change to a chick mascot. Love the name T'Bust, someone coined here.

Just need the KDF version of the background with a busty gorn lady... why you looking at me like that? :o
  • Options
    admiralthorr360admiralthorr360 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Great next thing you know STO will have adds with gigantic cleavage assaulting your screens saying "COME PLAY NOW" with about 1,000 new players a month saying "WTF where's the Princess I'm supposed to save!?!?!?!". Anyone remember "Evony" ? Yeah that's what this game is turning into. One step closer lol.

If this is the new trend how about an Orion woman or a completely naked hot betazoid? Yep I can see the future now lol.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think T'Bust was mine. And somebody coined T'its, T'Bosum and T'TRIBBLE.

On the note of Gorn, I don't think female gorns have any TRIBBLE at all, so they may technically have no cleavage to show. :P

So yes, all those half naked gorns in the First City ... maybe male, maybe female.

Aaaand our old friend the Handsome Phaser Guy is back! Well in a small size, but still!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I think T'Bust was mine. And somebody coined T'its, T'Bosum and T'TRIBBLE.

On the note of Gorn, I don't think female gorns have any TRIBBLE at all, so they may technically have no cleavage to show. :P

So yes, all those half naked gorns in the First City ... maybe male, maybe female.

Saurians would like to have a word with you. :D
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I never understood how Saurian and Argonian females had a bust! Too much Discovery and National Geographic watching on my part I believe.

Or why Caitains/Khajiit did not have 3 pairs of them, like catpeople did in hungarian cartoons :) But then the same cartoon portrayed female mice with a single pair.... just wierd.

I need to forget what i learned in Biology class all those years ago!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm not surprised at B'reast on the front page as that's how female characters tend to b portrayed. Men are shown in full armour with the female character wearing the same armour but it turns into a metal bikini when she wears it. My issue with it is not that it's sexist but that it's stupid. Both have the same protection despite one with most of their body exposed.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    While i'm not a fan of chainmail bikini, she is wearing no armor at all.
    Its just a jacket, and it will not help you against a big thrown rock. Covering more skin would just add a little more "Cold resistance" to it :)
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Oh, unclench. :rolleyes:

You'd have to be pathologically uptight to have a problem with such an innocent picture.

/agree.

And apparently no one here's heard of cover fire while you take a new firing position, which would explain her running and taking a general-direction shot.

Sheesh!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Aaaand our old friend the Handsome Phaser Guy is back! Well in a small size, but still!

Where? Where?!?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nikdanger wrote: »
    /agree.

And apparently no one here's heard of cover fire while you take a new firing position, which would explain her running and taking a general-direction shot.

Sheesh!

Yeah that's exactly what we did. Running from one firing position to another. Taking a gerneral-direction shot and looking filled with carnal desire at anybody who might have seen us. It's said to be quite distracting for enemy soldiers. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    On the main page under the Server Up/down bar.

Also, on this page:
    http://sto.perfectworld.com/about

Yes... maybe she is doing suppressive fire. Never thought of that.

Maybe the Vulcan females could get a seduce ability like that of orions :P ? Just kidding.
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    /supercriticalartcritique

Short version: unimpressed

Long version:

Firstly, I can see how the original piece is framed; in the original framing, it looks like the character is in a running action pose, phaser out and blasting.

However, the action shot fails firstly in the fact on how it's framed on the main web page. Her feet are buried underneath an info bar, leaving her looking like she's just floating in the frame, like the gravity plates went out on Deck 3.

Secondly, the eyes. Why is she looking at the viewer? If she's preparing to fire a phaser, shouldn't she be looking along the phaser instead of at the viewer?

Thirdly, she's Vulcan. Very little emotion, which doesn't do a lot for a Human audience. Dead eyes, expressionless face. In an action shot. It's like oil and water. Also, Vulcans look like space elves, which actually makes this character really similar to a lot of fantasy game characters, as opposed to a Sci-Fi/ Star Trek setting.

Fourthly, unzipped jacket. Certainly, any female character in STO has TRIBBLE, and there's obviously nothing wrong with that. However, the artist made a conscious effort to show the character with the jacket partially unzipped, revealing the part in the cleavage. It just smacks of pandering to the "Single Male Ages 18-35" demographic. Strong female characters don't need to show their cleavage to make a statement. The skirt was tastefully done, so it's disappointing that the artist would use such an overplayed trope.

It's certainly not as sexist and hideous as the PC Magazine cover other posters have displayed in this thread; that just drips of sleaziness ("Hey space sailor, I hear you like motorboats...").

/supercriticalartcritique
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I pretty much agree with the above post. It would look a lot better if she were looking at her target, and if her whole body was visible.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    nikdangernikdanger Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what we did. Running from one firing position to another. Taking a gerneral-direction shot and looking filled with carnal desire at anybody who might have seen us. It's said to be quite distracting for enemy soldiers. :D

Um...I've been married for 18 years, and I'm pretty sure that's more of a "I'ma gonna rip out one of your arms and beat you with it for leaving your dirty mug in the living room instead of washing it your own lazy self" instead of a look filled with carnal desire.

And yes, I'm typing with my one remaining arm. :D

Just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Considering that a vulcan is three times stronger then a human of the same build, that is not something to be taken lightly!
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's worth mentioning that T'jiggle is far more modestly dressed than many of her Front Page Coverwoman counterparts.

Really, aside from the not-so-great "action" pose, she's pretty well dressed. No midriff, long sleeves, skirt's technically longer than any canon uniform with a skirt we saw, boots look like they could actually be used for hiking, she's not sporting any more cleavage than Troi did on a regular basis, etc.

I think people are blowing this a bit out of proportion.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I agree. Plus your signature sir, is pure awesome.

Some of those cover women are dressed a bit too revealingly for good military taste.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    My main problem with the current version isn't just that I think it's distasteful - it doesn't look like Star Trek. The uniform is barely recognizable (except for the combadge), and her wild hair makes her look more like a fairy or an elf that a Starfleet officer.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    tudenomtudenom Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She's in uniform so gratuitous cleavage is out, thanks.

Could you imagine this plastered all over the American Army main website?:

sexy_military_girl.jpg

Yeah, that would go over like a lead baloon

Here how you photograph an attractive woman in uniform:

10-756251.jpg

Yay Finland! She's attractive and still looks like she can kick a$$. You might notice that there's no gratuitous boobage in the photo above.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    @ as this, if we are talking about female armour:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma26lsYTig1r6brt0o1_r1_500.jpg

Still, I find T'bust cute. But then again she is a space elf, or at least a human-vulcan hybrid with such a pinkish skintone.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tudenom wrote: »
    She's in uniform so gratuitous cleavage is out, thanks.

Could you imagine this plastered all over the American Army main website?:

sexy_military_girl.jpg

Yeah, that would go over like a lead baloon

:D

You got a pic of my engineer, very nice !!!
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I actually think the USA army would happily use attractive women to get more recruits.

But then again I'm a bit cynical.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Handsome Phaser Guy is still there on screenshots page as well. So much for goodbye to him, he's still everywhere.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    judgekiwijudgekiwi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    shaddam01shaddam01 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sexs sells move on
  • Options
    yousuckashellyousuckashell Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You know, the one featuring the female vulcan with the exposed cleavage, firing a phaser, in a pose that could only have been drawn by someone with marginally more knowledge about female anatomy than Rob Liefeld? The only thing they got right about her is the emotionless look on her face, but I given the rest of the picture, I am more willing to believe that it is due to the ability of the person who drew it to only draw one emotion: dull surprise.

The inner realist in me is saying "TRIBBLE sell", but the inner trekkie in me is saying "NOOO! NO VULCAN BOOBIES! DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!" And the trekkie in me is winning.
  • Options
    lillithiaelillithiae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I heard at least 1 not so attractive woman complaining about it on a podcast. I can only imagine there are a few others.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I only heard good things about the "phaser lady" from all my sto friends, but then they are in the target demographic mostly.

And good news everybody, this will have an official wallpaper! Let everybody rejoice! :D