test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Perhaps it could be just me, or perhaps I'm about to articulate what's bugging many of us with this artwork...

My main beef with this picture is the combination of "fourth wall violation" with that alluring look on her face. That one tidbit, alone, suddenly changes the entire connotation of the shot - now instead of being a neutral action scene (like "handsome phaser dude" was), I get this impression of "dear, we're almost done with this grueling mission that caused our separation. While I'm jumping/diving for your arms and our long-delayed reunion, let me "60's western one-shot" that problem immediately to the right of you"...

Straighten the lady up and have a slightly more stoic look on her face as she actually looks at her target and suddenly she shifts from a "sex (lust) object" to a fair, objective, female that's representing "Starfleet's finest"... Even in that low-cut open top straight out of the 60s...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I think the majority complaining forgot that the marketing department is aiming to attract new players who are traditionally teenage boys. This IS a business even tho F2P.

That is most likely the target demographic, and a marketing fail by PWE.
    Lets assume two thirteen year old boys are hanging out on a friday night, and bored, so they surf the web.
    1. They see HAWGT trek toon.Giggle, and download game.
    2. Make 1st toon.First hour spent laughing like Bevis and Buthead as they play with the bust slide.
    3.Two hours spent laughing as they do it with their Boffs.
    4.Joke gets stale,resume surfing the web.
    5. Find a game where avatars, and NPCs, can run around in their underwear, or (gasp) a pixelated streak.Resume laughing like Bevis and Buthead.
    6. Uninstall STO, and upload latest chucklefest.
    7.Cost to boys-0
    Profit for PWE-0
    Sorry, most players are true Trek fans, and alot more cerebral than PWE gives us credit for.:cool:
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    Did you ever notice how TNG+ hand phasers are quite possibly the most phallic space weapons ever?

Ever watch Andromeda?Remember the Commonwealth lances?(uber phallic)
    Created by none other than...(drum roll please)...Gene Roddenberry!
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I would like to point out the very first episode of TOS has a female first officer and all the female crew members wears the same thing as the male. However, CBS rejected it saying they need some sex appeal and a woman as a first officer is not realistic.

What bugs me is that her uniform is not in game. There is something similar but not exactly.
    Her rank pins as well, is not in game.

That is just a bit of false advertising.

Also, have anyone mentioned this picture of Klingon lady vs Vulcan lady?
    I like this more than the current art.

The current art is weirdly staring into the audience, not to mention the stance is odd.
    Aim where you are shooting lady!
    The cleavage thing is alright, it can be a bit less cleavage-y.
    The skirt bothers me slightly just because of the battle situation. While in the captain's chair, sure dress however you like, but when you are in a battle...

What you wear isn't what defines you, but when it comes to a single piece of art work with no actual character attached to it, then it can bring a wrong message. Look at the Orion females, you'd think they are mostly slave girls or eye candy given no context at all, but when you dive into the story, they are in charge of the men in the Orion society. They only pretends to be slaves to control enemies after they mesmerize them. This is from an ENT episode.
    Context means everything!!! So in the case of the phaser lady, there is no context to introduce her so anyone can give her any image they want. So far as I can tell, people have been giving her the context of being a sexist marketing ploy.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They've toned down the blue on the main page, which is good. But T'Bosum is still there. :rolleyes:
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A while ago I dabbled in Second Life. Some of you may know about it as it had a sizable trek community. Anyway, SL is bascially a free for all, anything and everything goes. I always thought it was like the Sims meets the Rocky Horror Picture show.

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that it isn't always horny teenagers creating scantily clad women. Many times the bimbo avatars were created by women, many who were middle age or older, seeking to become their 'vision' of youthful, supermodel versions of themselves. Likewise men mostly did the same with young Tarzan/Rambo visions of themselves.

ps. Like the picture suggested by Archofwinter above. I think a Klingon woman with her klingon scowl with Batleth in hand would capture the essense this combat oriented trek game, from the female side of things. Sort of the essense of Trek women roles...tough, don't take s%$t from anyone.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    I took a break from my work to make an irresistible sketch.

http://tinyurl.com/bbhhbkm

Oh My!
    If people in canon can go around naked, do we have any moral ground against a jacket with its zipper pulled down to show some cleavage that you can see on everyday television and on the streets?

When did sexism turn from not letting women vote and work on the same positions as men into sexism being Not restricting women's clothing to a very covering style? Is that not against women's rights? I'm starting to get a logical meltdown here.

I know some people are over or hypersensitive, but seriously this is ridiculous. I just advise such people to never, ever visit a beach strand, and keep their heads down on the streets because a lot of women (and men) dress way, way more revealingly then the female vulcan on the picture.

And yes, I would not mind getting Old Phaser guy back in addition to the vulcan. Why not have both?

Because it's the bloody millitry, not a beach.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    artan42 wrote: »
    Because it's the bloody millitry, not a beach.

Zipping up a little was allowed when I was in the military...

actually...

The field manual stated that when wearing the combat uniform, running with an open fly was a approved way of releasing heat. (It didn't mantion anything about anything hanging out of the fly tho, but I guess use of the standard issue undies would prevent that anyway.)

When in combat, your comfort is always more important than observing the forms of decency or the dress code. Zipping down a bit is not an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    But T'Bosum is still there.

greatest Vulcan name EVER!!!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pvehero wrote: »
    Zipping up a little was allowed when I was in the military...

actually...

The field manual stated that when wearing the combat uniform, running with an open fly was a approved way of releasing heat. (It didn't mantion anything about anything hanging out of the fly tho, but I guess use of the standard issue undies would prevent that anyway.)

When in combat, your comfort is always more important than observing the forms of decency or the dress code. Zipping down a bit is not an issue.

Ahh so the phaser Elf has just zipped up to release heat and wears a short skirt so she's always ready to do hurdling. Interesting... :rolleyes:

I don't know about your military. But our soldiers are wearing green T-shirts under the jacket. Even if they zip up completely you will not see their cleavage - well for those who actually have a cleavage anyways ;)
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    szim wrote: »
    Ahh so the phaser Elf has just zipped up to release heat and wears a short skirt so she's always ready to do hurdling. Interesting... :rolleyes:

I don't know about your military. But our soldiers are wearing green T-shirts under the jacket. Even if they zip up completely you will not see their cleavage - well for those who actually have a cleavage anyways ;)

This explains everything.
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    szim wrote: »

Don't know what rules they follow where you are, but over here, underwear is entirely optional! :D

(Besides, that would be a blue shirt I guess, as it's the fleet)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not only is she flying but she is not even looking where she is about to fire her phaser?
  • Options
    thehavrahathehavraha Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you listen to Podcast UGC we have an entire segment on the Vulcan girl, who we have lovingly named T'Arget.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am a Cheestah.
    Check out my Foundry missions
    Fed: "To Helna and Back", "Rema Donna", "Animations with Helna", "Mudd's Weapons", "Waiting for Wednesday", "Monolith"
    KDF: "Time the Enemy", "Time the Ally", "Time the Traitor"
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not only is she flying but she is not even looking where she is about to fire her phaser?

Because in the 25th century rocket boots have evolved to become something else, more efficient, more powerful and most importantly, small enough to fit inside high heels.
    ...and the reason why she does not need to look where she is actually aiming with the phaser is because, in the far future, weapons have auto targeting. You point them in the general direction and they auto correct. :D
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Red Bull gives you wings.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's advertising. You might aswell ask how Kirk and Spock managed to get their disembodied, borg cube sized heads inside a rainbow above the enterprise. Or how Shinzon managed to stay alive floating around in space on a cloud of thalaron radiation along with.... once again, large disembodied heads, this time of Picard and Data. And moving on from there why is space white and how is the JJprise flying through it?
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is why she can http://youtu.be/16FdJrrAWSo?t=30s :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Because that's the best stance to show her TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    erei1 wrote: »
    Because that's the best stance to show her TRIBBLE.

Yea baby huba huba i want to go to vulcan now the heck with risa lol
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Take a look at every PWE game out there to find your answer.

Girls showing cleavage in every single one on the cover, its the standard for your asian fantasy MMO, which is what STO pretty much becoming
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    How about for S8 they put another Fed species, maybe a flying Ferengi or Tellarite, ha ha ha.

Or.. go KDF for the next season and put a Klingon or Orion.
  • Options
    abstract1981abstract1981 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    so finally STO joins the ranks of f2p games that advertise using sexy illustrated girls. FINALLY this game can be taken seriously, like Evony. STO is on the fast track to the top, ladies and gentlemen.
  • Options
    lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The more i see her, the more i imagine her as a model hired by some Federation publicist to have a more "appealing" recruitment ad.....
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"
  • Options
    tieberionetieberione Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thats right lol.
    Spock Had Rocket boots a hundred Years ago, I want rocket boots now lol
    Tieberion, Captain of the USS Excalibur NX-97000-B

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Rocket powered jetpack high heels... Sounds like the best new C-store item :D
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I actually like how she (T'Bust) is looking at the audience, not just randomly somewhere at something we don't see.

So in the military , you can run around with your zipper down. I am not sure I needed to know that.... watching all those bad military-horror films will never feel the same again.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Take a look at every PWE game out there to find your answer.

Girls showing cleavage in every single one on the cover, its the standard for your asian fantasy MMO, which is what STO pretty much becoming

Girls being used to sell Video games That's unheard off...We Americans will not settle for that. We never use women to sell things here...we like to dress them up and cover everything. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    criss11criss11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    "why is the vulcan girl on the website flying?"
    Shes not flying, she is pissed off that Cryptic removed dilithium rewards and now shes killing zombies and civilians in Mine Trap :D

Shes is the future(mirror) version of Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil :D

I have the feeling that this thread will be terminated :D
    mailman650 wrote: »
    How about for S8 they put another Fed species, maybe a flying Ferengi ...

The flying Ferengi is the future(mirror) version of Dumbo Baby Elephant :D and i bet ferengi creation for star trek movies are based on elephants ,vulcan on elves and so on ..
    open beta player of some PWE games - north america launched versions:
    - PWI - November, 2008 (2 months after North-America-West Coast open beta)
    - Forsaken World - open beta
    - BOI - open beta
    - Star Trek Online - ftp January, 2012 and rank 14 STO Wiki contributor
    - Neverwinter open beta June, 2013

Daily Foundry "Canyon of the Dead" ( NW-DBPJYKMRE ) - dungeon