test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What bugs me the most is her aim. she's waving her Phaser aroundl ike its a compact!

Weapon handling safety people! I know its Unknown in large parts of the world, but come on...
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only thing offensive is that FEDERATION uniform.

...Please have it removed !
    ;)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I mean, for a promotional image, you obviously want something attractive... like a beautiful pointy-eared space elf.
    If such the promotional image they were going for, they should have instead had a skantidily clad Orion Slave Girl. ;)
    duaths1 wrote: »
    link does not work
    It's the Season 7 Promotional Art.
    as klingons have all kinds of forehead ridges, so have the romulans.
    All Romulans from TNG onwards had ridges, I didn't see a single pure Romulan without any. The only Romulans that went without the ridges are Nero and his band of merry men, and the Romulans we saw in TOS.
    I personally would go with Romulans WITHOUT ridges and add a possibility for having them.
    We've already got enough human-looking aliens in Star Trek. A little variety isn't going to hurt.
    The evil guy in the last ST film was Romulan and also had NONE ridges.. so?
    Notice the Klingons (outtakes) in the rebooted ST film wore helmets instead of having ridges? The lack of ridges on both Romulan and Klingon within that film was probably due to budget costs, least if nothing else, the writers probably felt that they'd get more of a response from viewers having an Alien antagonist that didn't quite look alien (in the traditional sense).
    keestromp wrote: »
    It looks to my like she trips, accidentally fires here phaser, and is like as emotional about it as Kristen Stewart
    Hah! Made me chuckle did that. ;)
    grylak wrote: »
    Being a Vulcan, she should be. Yes, I said Vulcan. For the simple fact she is in a starfleet uniform. Romulans haven't joined Starfleet. Even ones who wear their uniforms with the zip pretty much all the way down.
    If she is a Vulcan, then fine. The discussion needs no more. I just figured she was a Romulan because Season 7 is Romulan. Add to that, Season 7 is introducing Romulan Bridge Officers, so...
    sirricwin wrote: »
    Lol. Leave K Stew alone, she's had a hard time already what with dating too many guys, living the Hollywood lifestyle and 'staring' in blockbuster films....
    Oh she's brought all that on herself.
    sirricwin wrote: »
    And that Romulan with a smooth head in the movie wasn't a Romulan at all
    You're saying Nero (and his entire crew) were actually Human-Romulan Offspring (alike Sela, foregoing the ridges). I can accept this. ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tejanahawk wrote: »
    Come to think of it, pretty much every Trek show had their gal in a catsuit or ample viewing of cleavage.

T'pol, Kira, Troi, and pretty much every female costar on TOS.
    TJ

Wait? Kira was supposed to be a sex symbol? :eek:
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wait are you really trying to justify a supposedly sexist change by saying "Hey it's okay, Star Trek was always sexist before!" ?

Just because it was sexist before, doesn't mean it still has to be sexist now. Just sayin'.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    umaeko wrote: »
    1) I bought the Open Jacket uniforms from the C-Store. How long until we get an open jacket version of the Odyssey uniform? ~_^

More like: How long until the open jackets have undershirts for the women, and open chests for the men?

For those of you thinking that the anti sexy Vulcan attitudes are silly (or whatever), I think this sums it up:
    I don't normally have an issue with revealing outfits or uniforms. But this is just gratuitous and cheap.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So, why didn't they use an image like one of these to put on the Front Page ?

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/3474/spockkkkk.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/8886/220798043dd615b86ae.jpg

Oh wait, I know why ... because that would have been just as sexist as the nonsense they have up on the front page now. Only the other way around, and it wouldn't be appealing to teenaged drooling fanboys, and men who act like teens.

Just putting that out there.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hypl wrote: »
    As they say, "Sex sells."

Excluding ditzy T'Bosom there, it's a nice picture.

Rage? This is full-on mockery. Admittedly, T'Its is probably more accurate to what ya see running around ESD, but still...... *chuckles*

sumghai wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree with you there, I thought T'TRIBBLE had a resemblance to Kirsten Stewart.

I think we need a player poll to choose the name for our new Icon. These three names should be amongst the choices.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Y'know, I am kinda shocked...not about the picture itself, but that it didn't happen sooner. Let's be honest, we've all learned what PWE is like, it's rather amazing it wasn't earlier, the season 7 release was a good job.

I'm curious, were there changes for previous seasons, however briefly, of the backround? If there were, I do believe they were changed back, so our ample elfish...Romulan...Vulcan...whatever species captain, may only be here for a little while.

I really don't care though about the new pic, I neither like nor dislike it. It is a clear, blatant attempt at being a sexual image (regardless) of what Cryptic or PWE would say, but how long would many of us here would look at all, before moving onto another page that you were going to anyways?

Aside from the cleavage, I am not surprised she's holding only a basic phaser. With the costs of everything, at least she can afford that.

Not trying to de-rail the thread of course.

But...is Handsome Phaser Guy gonna be the new 'Where's Sulu?'
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • tudenomtudenom Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The arguement that there were "sexy ladies with revealing clothing" in the TV and movie series just doesn't hold water in this case.

Show me one photo of a non STO female Starfleet uniform with a plunging neckline? You can't because they don't exist unless it's fan fiction.

Off duty clothing was a different story, but that's off duty or a special case like a councellor who isn't wearing a uniform while on duty. Seven was never a starfleet officer and never wore a uniform. I never watched Enterprise so I can't comment on the Vulcan.

Feds have been very consistent with women in uniform, skirts are okay just like some modern dress uniforms, but never anything like this. And to to it off she's obviously a vulcan.....the very embodyment of conservatism!

Mirror universe and Klingons/Orions are a different story. I wouldn't have a problem with an almost naked Orion shooting a disruptor, becasue to them sexuality is a weapon to be weilded to gain power over their adversaries!
  • tudenomtudenom Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kagasensei wrote: »
    It's more 'bout how differently men and women are portrayed. Men do not seem to be required to show off anything to be considered aesthetically pleasing :p )

That's not true. Look at the Avengers poster, the one that everyone went nuts over becasue of the gratuitous but shot.

All of the dudes are in what I'd call the "power pose" which accents the male form (tall, broad shoulders, flat stomachs) and projects the types of qualities women like:

Confidence,
    physical strength and fitness,
    leadership,
    and most important - wealth!

Men are objectified just as much as women, but in different ways.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can I download a wallpaper centered on that girl with her legs showing? Cryptic? At least put it in the C-store please! (This is a semi-joke statement)

She looks cute enough, though from careful observation her skin seems to hold a pinkish and not greenish tint. Maybe a hybrid. Who has red blood, not the usual green.

To be honest, i think the previous guy should have been kept on the page alongside the new vulcan girl. To keep both genders of the playerbase happy.

As it was pointed out, he was handsome and athletic. Now a female is pretty and athletic.

I actually think sexism is a word that means :
    "This woman looks way better then how I look. I am so jealous. I want to look like that, but I'm damn ugly. So I'm going to blame the picture of a pretty female to feel better about looks that could scare a cave troll away."

I just hope such people don't act so hostile against a real woman with good looks. Luckily here its a victimless act of rudeness, as the girl in question is just a bunch of pixels, and thus has no feelings at all.
    Since when is it a crime to dress fashionably?
    I mean some comments were looked like as if Marcy D'arcy wrote them at one of Al Bundy's playboy models.

And what is wrong with this? Nothing. An attractive female cover-girl replaced the handsome cover-boy. While the loss of one is regrettable, faulting the replacement is hardly constructive.

I do get it that her gun looks a bit odd, perhaps another type of pistol would have been a better idea.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wait are you really trying to justify a supposedly sexist change by saying "Hey it's okay, Star Trek was always sexist before!" ?

Just because it was sexist before, doesn't mean it still has to be sexist now. Just sayin'.

azniadeet wrote: »
    Wait? Kira was supposed to be a sex symbol? :eek:

LOL she sure as hell wasn't wearing a burkha, and then you also have her Intendant character. Her little fling with Mirror Ezri was quite interesting.:)

I do find it funny people bothered about what they are wearing or not wearing. If I were a woman, I would be more concerned about their roles in the game. Are women in the game given positions of power, authority, and intellect? Are they able to be in front line combat? They are not relegated to support roles such medicine, secretarial...etc.

Star Trek has no shortage of scantily clad women, but it was a trailblazer for women's roles on TV, it provided a lot of strong female characters.

When I created my KDF female toon, I really tried not to create a bimbo. I tried to model her a little after Grace Jones. That way she kind of looks like she knows how to operate a disruptor or command a ship.

Cheers
    TJ
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Too much Attack Pattern Beta in here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I do get it that her gun looks a bit odd, perhaps another type of pistol would have been a better idea.

Well, it's less her phaser looks weird than she's not even looking at whatever she's shooting.

I'm just gonna say, this picture is quite indicative of how seriously Cryptic takes Star Trek. At least we've lost all delusions of class here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    I'll miss the retro Mr Handsome, but I think this new vulcan girl is just looking adorable.

Whoever did the artwork, it was done well.

Except for one big fault. Her skin tint is reddish, not greenish.
    That can be explained by being a human-vulcan hybrid.
    Still...adorable? Yes. Vulcan? No, not fully.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    She's a faerie. See how she is flying?
  • jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thankyou Cryptic! I love the new Webpage design!
    edited November 2012
    Vulcans can live and look young longer then humans. And maybe she is just shooting at some of those six-eyed critters that can act rowdy on New Romulus?
    edited November 2012
    Vulcans can live and look young longer then humans.

That's fair.

But how often would you expect Vulcan Captains to look like a college freshman at a halloween party?

There are ways to look sexy and strong without looking like a TRIBBLE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    That's fair.

But how often would you expect Vulcan Captains to look like a college freshman at a halloween party?

There are ways to look sexy and strong without looking like a TRIBBLE.

When I walk around ESD and the Frist city and don't see mostly half naked Star Fleet and Orions in the game, then maybe the picture went to far, but compared to whats in game its pretty tamed. :rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited November 2012
    For all those of you who are claiming that the image isn't objectifying or sexist. Do you want to know how to tell.

Take the pose, costuming, facial expression , of the image in question. Now place a "sexy" or "hot" guy in that exact pose, costume, plunging neckline and all, give him that softcore Cinemax facial expression, and tell me how that looks.

Now take the pose, costuming, expression etc of the handsome phaser guy picture, and place a "sexy" or "hot" woman there. Tell me how that looks.

I rest my case.
    The sexy phaser lady image is a misogynistic, sexist image that objectifies women.
    It's insulting to me as a player, and it makes the game look cheap, and crappy on the front page of the website. People seem to have forgotten that part of the problem is also , page design. Nice placement of the download button.

You can claim this isn't a sexist image , objectifying women.
    You'd just be wrong.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    psiameese wrote: »
    T'Bosom
    T'Its
    T'TRIBBLE

I think we need a player poll to choose the name for our new Icon. These three names should be amongst the choices.

[/COLOR]

I would like to give my vote to T'Bosom.

Over, and over, and over, and over...
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for pointing out the download position. That seems to be placed so that it covers her lower chest.

I don't even know half of what the latin words you wrote mean, and I do not even want to.

They all seem to mean useless phrases coined by people who feel like they are better then everybody else, and make up fake problems to cover their own shortcomings.

Go and protest in front of a clothing shop that sells female underwear which is not in accordance with early 20th century fashion styles.
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for pointing out the download position. That seems to be placed so that it covers her lower chest.

I don't even know half of what the latin words you wrote mean, and I do not even want to.

They all seem to mean useless phrases coined by people who feel like they are better then everybody else, and make up fake problems to cover their own shortcomings.

Go and protest in front of a clothing shop that sells female underwear which is not in accordance with early 20th century fashion styles.

There was no latin in my post.
    I refuse to rise any father toward your baiting.
    Have a nice day.
    edited November 2012
    Lets hope most people are open minded about outfits.

I wonder, can we ask Cryptic to put a full picture up as a wallpaper?
    Without the lower parts of the picture edited off?

It would be a great new wallpaper.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    For all those of you who are claiming that the image isn't objectifying or sexist. Do you want to know how to tell.

Take the pose, costuming, facial expression , of the image in question. Now place a "sexy" or "hot" guy in that exact pose, costume, plunging neckline and all, give him that softcore Cinemax facial expression, and tell me how that looks.

Now take the pose, costuming, expression etc of the handsome phaser guy picture, and place a "sexy" or "hot" woman there. Tell me how that looks.

I rest my case.
    The sexy phaser lady image is a misogynistic, sexist image that objectifies women.
    It's insulting to me as a player, and it makes the game look cheap, and crappy on the front page of the website. People seem to have forgotten that part of the problem is also , page design. Nice placement of the download button.

You can claim this isn't a sexist image , objectifying women.
    You'd just be wrong.

So much agreed.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Heh, never expected this thread to go for so long. :P

I guess more people are out of the game watching the new front page than playing (myself included, I just can't find reason to log in for the last couple days, and since today, even less than before).

Anyway, go on! That picture needs to be changed!
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited November 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »

I took a break from my work to make an irresistible sketch.

http://tinyurl.com/bbhhbkm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thratch1 wrote: »
    I took a break from my work to make an irresistible sketch.

http://tinyurl.com/bbhhbkm

...permission to crop and shrink this for a sig banner? With a credit beneath, of course. *makes big puppydog eyes*