test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, old friend! Hello phaser lady!

Comments

• Options
    purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Or maybe she is just a Vulcan? I mean, for a promotional image, you obviously want something attractive... like a beautiful pointy-eared space elf.

A little bit too space elf possibly. Seriosuly it looks like she should be doing the Bullet proof nudity thing with a sword than Star trek.
  • Options
    heinekoheineko Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Lovely? I think not. Its just terrible. This space elf has no place in Star Trek.

Give us back Phaser Dude!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Ruri Gokou of the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk
    Catian Atrox Carrier
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That new Vulcan girl is simply sexist. Can't remember good ol' Phaser Guy to show of his TRIBBLE... Now that it is a chick.. of COURSE she's got to present her plunging neckline. Please Cryptic, do you really need boobies to advertise for STO?...

Disappointed.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Oh, unclench. :rolleyes:

You'd have to be pathologically uptight to have a problem with such an innocent picture.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited November 2012
    I thought TRIBBLE were a valid advertising source for any computer game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    oh gimme a break...

a free peak at the cleavage is the only damn thing we got for free from s7!

Besides she's a beauty. Relax and enjoy. Remember, the time it took to make that picture was time that couln't be used to make the game more grindy end expensive to play!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm female, and busty Vulcan phaser girl doesn't offend me in the slightest. That's one of the uniforms available for zen, so really... I can't see where there'd be a problem putting it out in the open.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yes they do! and it is not only cryptic that does this...if you browse through MMO game covers or posters you will see that this is very common in computer games, even movies...
    i'm not even surprised, since there is already the option to buy a costume that basically is just showing TRIBBLE. Orion slave girls...
    i do not say it is right for them to do it, but it is not new either in sto. So if you find that picture "pathetically sexist" what about the rest of the semi nudity in the game?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    pveheropvehero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keestromp wrote: »
    It looks to my like she trips, accidentally fires here phaser

well what did you expect, when you handed a gun to a female? You may also notice that in the background, all the other captains are flying their starships, but she apparently crashed hers!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    I'm female, and busty Vulcan phaser girl doesn't offend me in the slightest. That's one of the uniforms available for zen, so really... I can't see where there'd be a problem putting it out in the open.

It's more 'bout how differently men and women are portrayed. Men do not seem to be required to show off anything to be considered aesthetically pleasing :p

I'm not offended by that new cover girl. It's just sooooo cheap... But why should STO be any different than any other game ;)
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    as a starfleet uniform (that we have years of TV to draw from) i think its inappropriate and aimed at young boys.

however, i dont consider it sexist either. real women have legs and breast, and quite a large number of them do like to wear revealing clothing. even in the 24th century it happens, so i cant agree its sexist as its very normal for women to dress similar to that.

but as a starfleet officer its not the sort of clothing i would expect. people might point to the short skits of the 23rd century and the skants of the 24th. troi's plunging neckline as well, although only from her off duty/councillor uniform. it does not bother me, but perhaps it should have been avoided.

the goofy running/falling and not looking where the phaser is aimed is what makes it more tacky for me.
  • Options
    cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was stuck by the blatant sexist display of the Romulan or Vulcan on the front of the website.
    Do the Chinese owners of this game think that it will sell more zen?
    Does it make players feel part of a family oriented game, or something more R rated?
    Should the developers go a bit further, and host TRIBBLE sites on the forums and take a cut of the referrals?

Bottom line, moronic idea to put a bent over, TRIBBLE busting out of a tight uniform, computer generated sex object on the front of the Star Trek online game.
    L.R. Hubbard would not approve, neither do the players of this game.

Remove it.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was stuck by the blatant sexist display of the Romulan or Vulcan on the front of the website.
    Do the Chinese owners of this game think that it will sell more zen?
    Does it make players feel part of a family oriented game, or something more R rated?
    Should the developers go a bit further, and host TRIBBLE sites on the forums and take a cut of the referrals?

Bottom line, moronic idea to put a bent over, TRIBBLE busting out of a tight uniform, computer generated sex object on the front of the Star Trek online game.
    L.R. Hubbard would not approve, neither do the players of this game.

Remove it.

Loser.

Anyway, I thought you'd be more dissappointed that she doesn't seem to be looking at whatever it is she's firing her weapon at. How does anyone expect to hit a target they aren't taking careful aim out.

Much like your posting history.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    L.R. Hubbard?
  • Options
    cotp0maurafeycotp0maurafey Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Loser? You're reported for loser posting. LOLS!
    thissler wrote: »
    Loser.

Anyway, I thought you'd be more dissappointed that she doesn't seem to be looking at whatever it is she's firing her weapon at. How does anyone expect to hit a target they aren't taking careful aim out.

Much like your posting history.
    Covenant of the Phoenix - Fed | Covenant of the Phoenix - KDF www.cotp.info

“What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite.” —Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    He will live on in all of our hearts.

And by 'hearts', we mean 'the banner graphic below Phaser-girl's ample nacelles'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ok, lets put it this way. would it be sexist if the woman was an orion or a klingon?

that look would totally be in keeping with what we have seen not only in the shows, but also in the game. that is how they dress, and they dont mind showing skin because they want to show it off. its their choice. if anything you'd be surprised if she was not showing skin.

so that raises the question if its ok for one female to dress like that, does it make it sexist for another because she comes from a different society?

you could argue a vulcan starfleet officer would never dress as an orion or klingon would, so the argument is they are adding over sexuality to someone that would not show off. but does that make it sexist or just inappropriate?
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not that I care about cleavage, but the image goes out of its way to show it off. Look at it closely, there are so many things "wrong" with the way it was drawn just to emphasize the sexy portrayal. The hair is blowing in a strange direction given her posture, she's not looking where she is firing her phaser, and her center of gravity is off. It makes me want to leave that page as quickly as possible.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kagasensei wrote: »
    It's more 'bout how differently men and women are portrayed. Men do not seem to be required to show off anything to be considered aesthetically pleasing :p

I'm not offended by that new cover girl. It's just sooooo cheap... But why should STO be any different than any other game ;)

Girls don't need to show anything off either. ;) But it doesn't bother me when they do.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • Options
    theolopboytheolopboy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I did think the first time I saw it that it will appeal to the 10-13 year olds who have never seen a real pair, rolled my eyes and moved on. Sexist? meh, sexual objectification? yes. Sad adolescent fantasy imagery? Top marks!!
    Correct forum join and LTS subscriber from date : 27/01/2010
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Look at it closely, there are so many things "wrong" with the way it was drawn just to emphasize the sexy portrayal. The hair is blowing in a strange direction given her posture, she's not looking where she is firing her phaser, and her center of gravity is off. It makes me want to leave that page as quickly as possible.

And yet, you seem to have spent quite a while examining it for faults :P
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What is the problem?

The cover figure dosen't show more or less than most women I see during summertime in the mall..??

I really don't get it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    And yet, you seem to have spent quite a while examining it for faults :P

its not his fault the browser crashed for seven hours and 43 minutes and he could not close it down.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So no one remembers TOS babes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not sexist, just kinda...stupid looking. She looks like a space-elf leaning forward trying to take a shot with her phaser...or something? :confused: I dunno...it looks plain silly.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Let's face it guys, the only thing wrong with the picture is that there isn't more boob showing. Don't go all metro. Girls don't really like that, no matter what she tells you.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    The problem is, there is no open female variant of that uniform, and you can't see the boobies that clearly in-game, so it's a screenshot that could lead the players to believe that this uniform is exactly available in-game as it looks on the screenshot. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Given the fact that this came with Season 7 (which happens to be all about Romulans...) why are we assuming the hot phaser lady is a Vulcan? Considering the background is that of New Romulus I'd say shes a Romulan...

Infact I'd go check out the New Romulus Ruins (1) screenshot in the screenshot gallery. Theres another Romulan looking person wearing the same uniform...

This phaser lady is neither Romulan nor Vulcan. She is an elf. Elfish hair, elfish ears, elfish balloons.
  • Options
    tejanahawktejanahawk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hahaha this is funny

Scantily clad women in Star Trek has been going on throughout Trek's entire history.

7 of 9 was written on to Voyager to appeal to a particular demographic group and increase viewership. STO is following Trek history LOL.

Come to think of it, pretty much every Trek show had their gal in a catsuit or ample viewing of cleavage.

T'pol, Kira, Troi, and pretty much every female costar on TOS.

Agreed with the above poster, players are going to be dissapointed they can't get that outfit ingame.

I wouln't have a problem with ripped shirt Kirk up there either, with the philosphy of IDIC, Trek is a very liberal universe. I think it ultimately comes down to marketing and demographics for STO. Probably why the female KDF Honor Guard XII outfit with the cleave window is at the end and requires so much grinding to get to. Pretty logical move by STO if they want to keep their majority demographic glued to the game.

Cheers
    TJ
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    *looks*, by Jove, you might be onto something there...
    szim wrote: »
    This phaser lady is neither Romulan nor Vulcan. She is an elf. Elfish hair, elfish ears, elfish balloons.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.