What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Would it be fair to say that any other MMO is a competitor to every MMO? If that is the case then any decision Cryptic makes could lose players.

In my opinion they are in a Catch 22 no matter what they do. Players need to decide to call it a day and either leave or stay.

I also think people are going to try SWTOR for a time which means there will be an exodus of some sort. Whether those numbers stay permanent is another matter. Heck, I'll bet some STO players will return because of Season 7 and make the same choice: stay or leave (again).
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Like how they lost all their players to TOR the last time it launched? oh wait...

Look, now its free to play its probably more of a threat, but the game is still largely the same. Free or not people started bailing after the first few months. I really doubt it was the $15 but the fact it was not really that great.

In saying that, it should not be overlooked and its not the time to be complacent. Now is the time to try and attract customers just in case TOR does turn it around.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You seriously think TOR is truely a competitor with STO?

It's not... SW has it's fanbase, and so does ST... Both will stick with their camp respectively, and some will switch from STO to TOR, and vice versa respectively.

The whole idea that TOR is compeditor to sto is silly because of that reason... There will also be a constant influx and outflux of new players...

H*ll... even comparing F2P models dosen't apply, because even the core fans of each franchise will have different tolerance levels and expectations.

Take me... I would'n touch TOR with a 10 foot pole, while being protected by 10 inches of bullet-resistant glass and wearing a EV suit.
    I don't like the F2P model at all, but in my eyes, STO will always be a better choice.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As others have said, with the TOR F2P model as it stands now, TOR isn't a threat to any existing MMO (in fact it's way less a threat now, then when it launched back in December 2011.)

If anything, after new TOR F2P players experience that F2P model, (and unless EA responds to the reaction which I think will be negative) - Disney and EA may decide to close down the game (yes, I think the model is THAT bad.) Further, given they haven't really addressed the major issues that caused the game tio go from 1.7 million to under 500K subs in less then 10 months (and no, the $15 a month sub fee wasn't the main reason); SWToR game population will continue to decline in the long run.

But, time will tell.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If TOR doesnt get some quality space combat, as I die hard Trekkie I'll never be tempted by that game, even F2P. Im already spending a few dollars here every few months. Ive only got time to devote to one MMO, and its STO. If STO didnt exist, then Id be at TOR for F2P. I just dont let myself get caught up in the hype of needing every shiny and top end gear here at STO and play the game at my pace and what my wallet feels like.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    With that F2P model the only threat is to themselves, its awful and with them adding things like bikini bottoms to buy it just cheapens Star Wars even more.

I love Star Wars but ever since 1999 its gone down hill so fast even Lucas bailed
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    TOR is the biggest flop in MMO history. I played it for 4 months and will never go back, even when it goes F2P. Its just a cry for desperation, and in the end its not Star Trek ;)
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    SWTOR is a completely different thing. I greatly prefer its ground combat over STO's. So far, I like the story.

If you don't care about PvP or largescale grinding, like me, it's a fine alternative, in its current f2p model. However, it too has its shortcomings, and I will most like play both games for some time. Right up until I get my hands on a cheap copy of ME3, then I'll play that a little. Followed by AC:R and TW:Rome 2.

I'd say a gaming population is per definition a highly volatile thing, always in flux. There's always other games on the horizon, as well as people just finding out about an older game.
  • Options
    cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Cryptic has little to worry about because the restrictions imposed on F2P SWTOR players are so extreme, hardly anyone will want to play.

It used to be that during the trial you could not type, nor get beyond level 15. You have so many restrictions that it makes the game literally unplayable.

Cryptic handled F2P perfectly and allowed all players free-range on all missions, all the time.

Honestly, after the ME3 meltdown over BioWare, this will not redeem them.

Edit: Also, you cannot trade with other players and prices are much higher for F2P, than paid/preferred.
  • Options
    martydartymartydarty Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I don't beilive they will compete two differnt styles. beilive they may take some players while people try but if you look the matrix on there there not brilliant, i was gona try it til they changed it so if you are a f2p person you can't equip most powerfull items, as where star trek you can.

in sto theres no reall benefit for people going lifers unless you want the 500 free zen, cause you can just grind, as season 7 thats what its all about really now is grind, for dilithium and twice as many fleet marks. which wil hurt small starbases.

i'm a lifer and through thick and thin dont always agree with cyptics decision but i still love the game so i still be here to play.

but try raiderz thats a ok game to play tooo.

good hunting people
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i know nothing about TOR, but my son has been playing games since nintendo mario brothers. he tried TOR and says it "sucks". he watched me play some STO this weekend and thought it looked pretty good. he has pulled too much wife aggro and is currently not playing anything.
  • Options
    areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I just finished playing the TOR trial period (15 levels? Seriously?). But it was a trial. I must say, it is a very well made game, the story is very good and the combat works very well. I don't know about the space combat as you are locked out of that on a trial account, but I believe it's an On Rail kind of system, instead of free roaming like STO. Still, ripping everything apart with a Sith is pretty fun. However, I also hear it has an extremely horrible end game with nothing to do (Even STO kills TOR in the end game department).

In my opinion, it's a very good casual game that you can mess around with, with some friends or solo. But you can't take it very seriously. The story isn't lacking though, that's for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is only one reason to play TOR, f2p or not, the story. It?s great to have 8 different character stories. Play them up to level 50 and then forget about the game, the rest is just same old, same old, raid...pvp blah blah. :D
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    TOR? I checked their so called "F2P" model and laughed. I'd rather honestly support Cryptic and their lock boxes than EA/BW's ego.

People will play the story mode and leave. At best. There's not much more to look after if you're not willing to pay either for subscription or for weekly access to certain modes. And that's assuming you're even interested in the endgame content.

Say what you want about STO and Cryptic's monetization efforts - it's still one of the better F2P models I've experienced. No restrictions, everything available through gameplay/grind, unique gameplay (both space and ground - TOR only has an on-rail shooter afair). I keep saying that I may not agree with many Cryptic's decissions, but STO is still a fun game to play and TOR can only compete with it thanks to its story - nothing else.

But that's just my opinion, I guess.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    With that F2P model the only threat is to themselves, its awful and with them adding things like bikini bottoms to buy it just cheapens Star Wars even more.

I love Star Wars but ever since 1999 its gone down hill so fast even Lucas bailed

Lucas didn't bail. He sold his Lucasfilm to the tune of $4 Billion to Disney. Seems like a nice retirement package don't you think?

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," Lucas said via a press release and video posted to YouTube (Watch Press Release). "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products." G. Lucas

Though Hitler had his own views on the matter altogether...
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Their initial content is better than STO's initial content, but sticking around is I dunno cause I'm not really a fan of the SW universe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    EA's F2P model sucks. Cryptic is not threatened in any way.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    You devs need to be careful with your future decisions in this game. TOR is one of your main competitors, and now that they are going F2P, losing players is a definite possibility.

It's just speculation, but my guess is that the biggest threats to STO this year are already over. My guess is that the releases of GW2, the fourth WoW addon and Diablo III probably made a bigger dent than the TOR semi-F2P will.
  • Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2012
    It's just speculation, but my guess is that the biggest threats to STO this year are already over. My guess is that the releases of GW2, the fourth WoW addon and Diablo III probably made a bigger dent than the TOR semi-F2P will.

The biggest threat to STO this year is... STO.

A lot of folks are hoping Season 8 is a return to Season 1. :P
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Lucas didn't bail. He sold his Lucasfilm to the tune of $4 Billion to Disney. Seems like a nice retirement package don't you think?

it would have been if he had not donated it all to charity.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    it would have been if he had not donated it all to charity.

I hope to a worthwhile one like the Stormtrooper Widows Fund! The poor stormtroopers!
  • Options
    keestrompkeestromp Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well I am quite new to this game so my opinion doesn't have any leverage. But I love this game and I really like it is free to play. I work a fulltime job and wouldn't want to pay 15 dollars for 2 hours a day.

I do think the C-store is quite expensive, if I understood correctly 20 dollar for a retrofit? If correct, you can use those ships on any character. Unfortunately for me, I intend to play only 1 (maybe a klingon char for lore). Anyhows that is just 20 dollars for a game I enjoy when I get back form work, so it's not that bad. But if ships where 5 bucks, I might buy a few more and some nice bridges and crew slots etc.

Anyhows, I don't think we need to fear to much compitition. When I read this forums I see a lot of people whining about noobs who pay to win or just don't understand the game. For casual gamers like me who like star trek and want to be a Picard or Janeway this is perfect. Play through storylines, command a ship, a crew, Boffs etc. And yes, when we need to, people will pay because we love it.

F2P is great for pirates too, pay what you want for what you think it is worth. And for a game that has a website that gets upgrades every two days, regular patches, and enough room to just be happy in your own universe.

So in short, I'm happy and I thank you for it:)
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    EA's F2P model sucks. Cryptic is not threatened in any way.

and this is why unlike PWE EA wants Subs not play a lil here spend a lil there leave and come back where is that is what sto is and always will be

if you ask me sto dose give away to much for free and is why you see more lockboxes and cstore stuff then you do mission planets sectors so on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    keestromp wrote: »
    Well I am quite new to this game so my opinion doesn't have any leverage. But I love this game and I really like it is free to play. I work a fulltime job and wouldn't want to pay 15 dollars for 2 hours a day.

I do think the C-store is quite expensive, if I understood correctly 20 dollar for a retrofit? If correct, you can use those ships on any character. Unfortunately for me, I intend to play only 1 (maybe a klingon char for lore). Anyhows that is just 20 dollars for a game I enjoy when I get back form work, so it's not that bad. But if ships where 5 bucks, I might buy a few more and some nice bridges and crew slots etc.

Anyhows, I don't think we need to fear to much compitition. When I read this forums I see a lot of people whining about noobs who pay to win or just don't understand the game. For casual gamers like me who like star trek and want to be a Picard or Janeway this is perfect. Play through storylines, command a ship, a crew, Boffs etc. And yes, when we need to, people will pay because we love it.

F2P is great for pirates too, pay what you want for what you think it is worth. And for a game that has a website that gets upgrades every two days, regular patches, and enough room to just be happy in your own universe.

So in short, I'm happy and I thank you for it:)

I want to play this game your talking about, what is it?
  • Options
    nnitennite Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Since the Season 7 nerfs destroyed the game for me I will give a try in Star Wars.

Kind Regards
  • Options
    captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nnite wrote: »
    Since the Season 7 nerfs destroyed the game for me I will give a try in Star Wars.

Kind Regards

Prepare to be bored running for 15 minutes between mission points
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rachelj88rachelj88 Member Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Prepare to be bored running for 15 minutes between mission points

lols atleast SWTOR has an area where you can actually run for 15mins without going around in circles like ESD/DS9 and maybe New Romulus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really liked SWTOR, but after I finished some of the stories,there was kinda nothing for me there left. It's strange, because even tho I do not like some changes in STO and hate many things about it, here I'm after close to 3 years playing it.

There seems like a lot potential here in STO, sadly most of it is not used. With that said, I will probably split my time between STO and TOR.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dalnar83 wrote: »
    I really liked SWTOR, but after I finished some of the stories,there was kinda nothing for me there left. It's strange, because even tho I do not like some changes in STO and hate many things about it, here I'm after close to 3 years playing it.

There seems like a lot potential here in STO, sadly most of it is not used. With that said, I will probably split my time between STO and TOR.

same for me, swtor is fine and everything but STO has the better space combat, thats what makes me come back all the time. And it is F2P!^^

now that swtor is f2p too, i might play more swtor. It surely has a far better story and basically everything else, but once you hit max level ther is nothing to do for a f2p person.
    Go pro or go home