test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, some people would be inticed to subscribe when they get involved with the character's storylines, but it's a band aid on the overall problem. They literally lost 90% of the population over these few months and just this weekend just consolidated people on empty servers to more populated servers.

One of the destination servers is one I been playing on and there has been a bit of a morale boost, but nothing really changed. Nobody wants to group and do missions, PvP, Flashpoints, or Heroics. And the way Bioware does things, reminds me awfully like what Cryptic has done with STO. Playing the same Endgame content over and over til something is fixed, no real balancing with PvP, and hype with new seasons with little real new replayable content.

So my overall prediction is that if they don't go F2P by the end of the year, they likely will be pulling the plug.

So even if they redo their Space Combat and redo their PvP, I think it's too late. But if Cryptic has been keeping tabs, if they get the jump on Bioware and fix STO's flaws, they could benefit by taking some of TOR's players (who love space combat). The rest, a ton are heading to Guild Wars 2 and other new games that been recently announced.
    edited June 2012
    Azurian wrote: »
    So my overall prediction is that if they don't go F2P by the end of the year, they likely will be pulling the plug.

:eek: Wow, is it really that bad? So its really likely to be the biggest flop in MMO history?

I have a pre-order (Amazon to Australia) and got bored after 30 days. It just feels very repetitive, and after moving to yet another World to start the pew-pew again. TRIBBLE stylised graphics, annoying voice overs, and wishy-washy story. I didn't feel like I was developing a character, but playing a single player console game adapted for the PC. Space combat was flashy, but rails suck.
    edited June 2012
    the ones heading to guild wars 2 dont they know its gonna be the same thing. all mmo's these day follow the same concept . its gonna be good at luanch but die off bc pple are maxing too fast and left with nothing to do and cry no end game content. and after a few month they will move on to the next latest mmo to complete the cylce and so on
    edited June 2012

Someone did a decently readable scan of the removed article:

Scan of Page 1 (link)

Scan of Page 2 (link)
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2012
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Should have left this thread buried ...
  • nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    :eek: Wow, is it really that bad? So its really likely to be the biggest flop in MMO history?

I have a pre-order (Amazon to Australia) and got bored after 30 days. It just feels very repetitive, and after moving to yet another World to start the pew-pew again. TRIBBLE stylised graphics, annoying voice overs, and wishy-washy story. I didn't feel like I was developing a character, but playing a single player console game adapted for the PC. Space combat was flashy, but rails suck.

No, TOR is actually very good compared to certain areas in MMO's. Most of the "OMG we're f##$(! " comments are the trolls who have made a large stronghold on their forums. TOR is doing better sinse transfers (aside from new bugs). TOR is doing a LIMITED F2P up to level 15 in July.

Also ligit word on revamping space has been given out. Space will be proper at one point in the future. Things are looking good for that game.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ive been playing "until recent days" TOR. I have 4 50's and 4 20's or close to that range. The storylines for some of the classes are really great, just brings you into the game even more. But like other comments before, in the end its an mmo, and what do most mmo's have for endgame, constant grinds, so theres no surprise there.

With free server transfers on the go still, and my toons on a brand new server "pve" its nice to see 200+ on fleet, and over 140+ pages of gear on the GTN lol, compared to what I had to deal with on my original server.

The thing again like most people, I hate the grind, and I find the grind in this game by far the worst ive had to experience. The fact that a simple speed boost on my legacy tree costs me 2million credits says it all, and from runing illum dailies, to cor, to belsavis, gets abit much haha. Also PVP. Currently warhero "fully geared mostly in battlemaster" and just recieved my 1st warhero piece 1-2 weeks ago, the pvp grind is a long one lol.

I cant honestly see this game going FTP soo early in the game. Iam hoping to see pay transfer come so I can get off my rock to a mid populated server. But Iam very impressed with how much they have done thus far to the game. I mean we are in 1.3 currently in game and they have added alot. Group finder, new dailies, new gear ect. And it continues. Surpases STO by a long stick.

But things change and if it does go to FTP then so be it. If its better for the game then Iam all for that. And for me its nice to take a break from how much ive grinded and back into sto for abit to do.. more grinding lol. But its trek so :P w/e lol
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • captainluke85captainluke85 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And now TOR is dying.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Bought a copy of SWG a few years ago and never pulled it out of the box (it was pre-revision), Was on a fan site a couple weeks ago and apparently the server software went open source and there's already a couple groups running Galaxies servers with the pre-revision world. Am thinking about setting up the emulator and game after my STO sub expires.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm pretty sure at this point we are all aware of this game. Its been the largest source of MMO hype since Warhammer Online came out a few years ago. Last weekend was their final beta weekend, and the final game is slated to be released on Dec 20. With SWTOR racking up pre-orders at an alarming rate will STO be able to stay afloat? Or will it make like a straw hut in a tsunami?

We should kick you in the butt for talking about star wars on a STAR TREK WEBSITE!!!!!!!!:mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, on the plus side, now that the thread has been zombied it can now be closed. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This thread hasn't been closed yet?!?! :eek:
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No this thread shouldn't.

Because the model used by SWTOR F2P is how MMOs should be monetized. Give us the single player content free, give us 5mans while leveling, monetize the endgame. Make us pay for vanity items, raids and PVP. Because...

1) Keeps out the AFKers. Who pays to afk, seriously?
    2) Hopefully deters scrubs. Hopefully.
    3) We directly pay for content, not pay to win, and certainly not lockboxes! Devs are then obliged to keep making more raid and pvp content. Genius right?
    4) THERE BE NO LOCKBOXES. Or gameplay depending on luck outside of raid tables. Hopefully.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    no swtor is not dying going Free to play next month
    just launched patch 1.4
    which sto should look at for PVP tech like group finder
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    sean2448 wrote: »
    no swtor is not dying going Free to play next month
    just launched patch 1.4
    which sto should look at for PVP tech like group finder

Group Finder isn't PvP, it's for Operations and flashpoints, the PvP grouper is the same as it is in STO
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    From one of the recent Q and A s

Quote" We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool ? they going to make you look AMAZING!)"

Cartel coins = Cartel packs
    Zen = Lock boxes
    edited October 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    From one of the recent Q and A s

Quote" We also have a really cool thing called Cartel packs. Cartel packs you buy give you a random assortment of really cool items and a chance to get some of the cooler items that maybe in the game (not powerful, but very cool ? they going to make you look AMAZING!)"

Zen = Lock boxes

Like I said, hopefully. But knowing EA, I should've realized they'd just monetize both. And then like PWE they'd have an excuse not to bother with content at all.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully STO can outlive SWTOR, if only because Trek is better.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

• captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We should kick you in the butt for talking about star wars on a STAR TREK WEBSITE!!!!!!!!:mad:

You once accused my mother of abusing me or some such for just telling you the facts of how the game works. How i was not understanding or some such. But i never threated to attack you. Now who is not being understanding....
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zarathos1978zarathos1978 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    not powerful, but very cool ? they going to make you look AMAZING!
    Zen = Lock boxes

It does not looks so. It seems that some skins/uniforms etc will be winable and they wont affect the game, just makes you look cooler.

As I see it it will be as if Cryptic packed Jupiter Uniforms or Kaitian race into lockboxes while puttin D'Kora and Bug into C-Store. Which makes sense from my point of view. Gamble for things you want (but not need) to play while you can still buy the things you need (or think you need) from the store.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    khayuung wrote: »
    No this thread shouldn't.
    The rule of the forum is that any thread more then 30 days old cannot be posted in. If it is posted in it gets closed. That is the way every thread on this forum is handled.

Between July 7th and September 28th this thread has no posts in it. Because of that it should have been closed on the 28th as a zombie thread.
    edited October 2012
    Just gonna bump this every once in a while now that I know it exists.

1.4 is here! The updates are meeeeh.

Waiting for F2P still.

• lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well I just took a look at the new info about the upcoming free to play for TOR. What I read made me facepalm, literally.

They've been giving these cartel coins (the TOR equivalent of zen) out to people that have been active subscribers prior to the changeover, going back to day 1. Makes sense right? Heres the kicker: they are handing out these points to everyone (including free players that are there the day it changes over - see the 250 coin bonus) but they have made it so that in order to actually get these 'complimentary' coins (and that IS the word they use) you have to be a paying subscriber. In other words, in order to use these complimentary coins, you have to A) pay to sub to get them in the first place and then B) pay again to stay subbed on a free game in order to claim and use them. and that also includes the bonus coins given to free players that sign up the day it goes free (its supposed to be a promotion)

Frankly its absurd. Whats the point of handing out something free, as a reward, that you have to pay to redeem in the first place? Especially when its a free game. Some reward that is. Not to mention the purpose behind giving a promotional reward that you can't even use without paying, to celebrate going free, completely baffles me. did someone take an anti common sense pill over there or something?

The only thing good I can say about it is that its a considerably worse set of restrictions than cryptic implemented. Apparently you can't even equip purple items without paying for a 'license' with coins.

I know this is EA we're talking about here but wtf??

I can't say this is a good sign of things to come from EA
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well EA is up for sale. And after the budget that was totally wasted by SWTOR development there is just no way to call it a successful game even if they managed to recover development costs. They are selling out already to make something akin to a reasonable profit and bing players of STO that's something we should understand in motion...
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited October 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Bought a copy of SWG a few years ago and never pulled it out of the box (it was pre-revision), Was on a fan site a couple weeks ago and apparently the server software went open source and there's already a couple groups running Galaxies servers with the pre-revision world. Am thinking about setting up the emulator and game after my STO sub expires.

SWGEmu is not finished yet. The server code did not go open source, it has been rewritten by fans from the ground up.

There are one or two "playable" servers out there, but they are nowhere near finished. If you are joining SWGEmu, you want SWGEmu.com where you can join the Nova test server, or the Basilisk 'play' server (which is basically the stuff they have ready-ish but is in no way, shape, or form, anywhere near complete).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    News Link Here: https://twitter.com/electronicarts/status/266571191442079744

You devs need to be careful with your future decisions in this game. TOR is one of your main competitors, and now that they are going F2P, losing players is a definite possibility.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I suspect that's the reason they're releasing Season 7 on the 13th. Still, if the rumors are true, TOR's F2P doesn't stand for Free to Play but rather Free to Pay. It's a pity, its predecessors (KOTOR1 and KOTOR2) were such good games.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • blindsaviour666blindsaviour666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Read up on their f2p model... Even with all of the grind we have here it's still a lot better than playing TOR for free. Unless they adjust the model it will cost more to play for free than to have a sub.

Besides it's not like losing players wasn't a definite possibility before, hell S7 bears the same risk one way or the other lol
    Out of the darkness
    On the road where the dead years run
    Cold as moonlight
    Terrible as the sun
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Read up on their f2p model... Even with all of the grind we have here it's still a lot better than playing TOR for free. Unless they adjust the model it will cost more to play for free than to have a sub.

Besides it's not like losing players wasn't a definite possibility before, hell S7 bears the same risk one way or the other lol

Precisely. You have to pay to SPRINT!

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Would it be fair to say that any other MMO is a competitor to every MMO? If that is the case then any decision Cryptic makes could lose players.

In my opinion they are in a Catch 22 no matter what they do. Players need to decide to call it a day and either leave or stay.

I also think people are going to try SWTOR for a time which means there will be an exodus of some sort. Whether those numbers stay permanent is another matter. Heck, I'll bet some STO players will return because of Season 7 and make the same choice: stay or leave (again).