test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Comments

• crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    From what I see...lots of people overall seem to be happier in SWTOR than STO. Check the forums and see how happier people are with the changes. Check Forums on STO and only thing you see are disgruntled players who are sick of grinding for anything that is remotely free :D

I know forums might give an skew picture of reality but certainly you can see how people really feel about the MMO

Yep - exceedingly happy, now P2W issues...oh, wait...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=569897

No Cartel store complaints...oh, wait...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=571411

No threadnaughts aabout the cyrrent state of the game, complaints about poor Customer service or in game bug handling...oh, waot...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=552114&page=35

So, yeah, go read the SWToR forums and you'll find that they're very much like these very forums with players complaining about a variety of stuff, players defending a variety of stufff, etc. All in all they don't seem any more or less satsfied then we (or any MMO is) these days.

The one thing to keep in mind though.

To post on SWToR's forums you HAVE to have a active subscription. Just making a certain level of purchases, or playing the game for 20+ real world hours isn't enough (which I believe is still the case on the STO forums, IE you do have to have spent $5.00 real world dollars on Zen, or have 20+ hours played to post on these forums, but an active sub isn't required.). So mixed in with these SWToR bposts are posters who don't understand why BioWare took SWToR F2P in the first place, and have a real disdain for F2P polayers in general.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thebumble wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up. Probably one of the better leveling story-lines to play regardless of class, their all pretty good.

The FTP launch was supposed to be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes....but then it ended up like someone put out its flame with a CO2 fire extinguisher, ie: It fell flat on its face.

The restrictions are horrible, unable to craft decent items, can't run, only allowed 2 quick-bars (when you need at least 4 for endgame content to mention a few. The space battles are like a roller coaster, kind of thrilling, but the car stays on rails. No free flight involved. Just move your targeting cursor and let the game drive your ship.

The fanboi's scream about how people are complaining about being able to play for free, but I liken it to someone giving you a book that's at the top of the bestseller list, then taking out all the a,e,i,o's and u's. Sure, you can read the whole book, but its going to be a long, boring process with no enjoyment to look forward to.

Agreed. Just tried the game, the F2P model's KILLING me.

Still, the game itself isn't bad, and they have DEDICATED RP SERVERS!!! WHEEE! :D

You know what'd be a perfect game? TOR's gameplay (with free movement in space, though) combined with STO's F2P model. Also, crypticarmsman, thanks for explaining why I couldn't post on the forums. Just stupid, isn't it? We ARE players after all.

The only problem I'm facing right now is the fact that I'm unable to play TOR while getting that Chel Grett. I -may- have solved that problem through some cleverly targeted bribery, though. (I convinced my younger brother to do the races for me while I play TOR :D)

Edit: Oh, and again in response to crypticarmsman's post: I actually encountered some REALLY bitter subscribers back on Tython yesterday.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited December 2012
    TOR's F2P model is a joke. The only good thing about it is that you can play through your entire class storyline without paying.

Well, that's if you can get around the lack of toolbar space, lower XP, not being able to equip the best loot, being unable to run, limited access to PvP and instances... The list goes on. My personal favourite restrictions, however, are the idiotic and pointless ones. Want to equip a title? You need to be subscribed. Want extra bag space? Pay up, or subscribe. And they best one yet. Want to access your bank? That's right... subscribe!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm currently giving it a shot, and I actually find it rather enjoyable.

Particularly if you get preferred status (make a single purchase in the store, 4 bucks in my case). That way you get 4 toolbars, cargo space, running at level 1 (which you would also get for free at level 15, btw), second crew skill and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting right now.
    Hardly any of the remaining restrictions I experience as blatantly extortionist...

Then again, I am mostly a single player game kind of person, that might help. I suppose that it would be different if you play it for the 'raid'-grinding or pvp, as you only get a couple of those each week, and if you play it like that, you'd probably also want to equip the best gear.

Me, I just play it for the story, which is pretty nice, and doesn't really force you to buy anything. I sure haven't found anything in the store I need...
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    TOR's F2P model is a joke. The only good thing about it is that you can play through your entire class storyline without paying.

That about sums it up.

The storylines are nice and it's even worth it playing through them on both sides. After hitting 50, though, the game is garbage, especially as a F2P and the unlocks are way too expensive.

They really shouldn't have made it into an MMO. A few changes, and the game could have become a really enjoyable single player title, a Star Wars version of ME and Dragon Age.
  • bortjinxbortjinx Member Posts: 397
    edited December 2012
    That about sums it up.

The storylines are nice and it's even worth it playing through them on both sides. After hitting 50, though, the game is garbage, especially as a F2P and the unlocks are way too expensive.

They really shouldn't have made it into an MMO. A few changes, and the game could have become a really enjoyable single player title, a Star Wars version of ME and Dragon Age.

Agreed. It could have been brilliant if released as KotOR3, but no, they wanted in on the MMO market and royally screwed things up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,292 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    F-2-p
    A winter of Blues

You may not mail
    nor trade me thinks
    nor may you bank at all

and are denied many mission rewards
    1 crew skill 1 companion at a time

you can send one away liek a DOFF to gaither things
    its lag can be over 9000 many times
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bortjinx wrote: »
    Agreed. It could have been brilliant if released as KotOR3, but no, they wanted in on the MMO market and royally screwed things up.

True KOTOR fans have been saying this all along, even before F2P. We asked for KOTOR 3, not TOR. 2 even had a cliffhanger ending for goodness sake.

Star Wars didn't need an MMO. The MMO needed Star Wars.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Very true.

I was deeply disappointed when it was announced, I will say. Playing it now, rightly so.

I know it's like cursing in a church, but I don't like mmo's, generally. When you're in it for the story, as in the case of KotOR games, an mmo-frame just gets in the way.

This is exactly why I have severe doubts about the announced Elder Scrolls and Vampire: Masquerade mmo's. Both are great series of games, but I feel they will be maltreated in an mmo-format.

Alas, all of a sudden everything needed to become an mmo, as "gaming was to change forever and interaction was the way forward". I call marketing bs and fad, on that one.

Give me a good, solid singleplayer title over a badly executed mmo any day of the week.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    True KOTOR fans have been saying this all along, even before F2P. We asked for KOTOR 3, not TOR. 2 even had a cliffhanger ending for goodness sake.

If by cliffhanger you mean the game literally drives over a cliff 2/3 of the way through the game, then yes.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If by cliffhanger you mean the game literally drives over a cliff 2/3 of the way through the game, then yes.

Well, aren't you anxiously waiting to see what's at the bottom of that cliff?

:)
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bortjinx wrote: »

The tragedy is that they removed the actual Star Wars MMO for it, and they could have had both. Even if they retired the older MMO for this new game, it could easily have been made into an acceptable MMO -and- a single-player experience if they hadn't been so set on rejecting everything that made the other MMO work (they made it quite public they wanted to avoid 'mistakes' such as diverting activities that took the player away from combat, ect).

This is what happens when a company sets out to make a game that is intended to make the simplest players feel as good as possible and avoid challenge.

I guess we can see why they couldn't chance having the other Star Wars MMO up alongside TOR.
    edited December 2012
    Well, aren't you anxiously waiting to see what's at the bottom of that cliff?

:)

If it were BioWare re-writing Kotor 2? Probably.

Obsidian? I'm running the hell away.

Arguments about the F2P setup aside, the stories in TOR are very well done. IA, Warrior, Trooper and Knight would be, individually, worth the price of admission for most games. Bundled together, especially tacking on the class stories of the other four classes, make it a very worthwhile investment for folks who actually want some story in their MMO.
    edited February 2013
    Lol, there was a funny thread on the forums started today, where a former subscriber tested if he could access the forums, saying "sdafsdf", and one of their community managers said
    Excellent feedback and sorry that you feel that way, but at least now we'll aserfasdasdsads instead of awkueraifsd.

sdfsawer!

Imagine what'd happen if it happened HERE. There was a ton of funny posts there. :D

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it were BioWare re-writing Kotor 2? Probably.

Obsidian? I'm running the hell away.

Arguments about the F2P setup aside, the stories in TOR are very well done. IA, Warrior, Trooper and Knight would be, individually, worth the price of admission for most games. Bundled together, especially tacking on the class stories of the other four classes, make it a very worthwhile investment for folks who actually want some story in their MMO.

A true remake of KoTOR 2? Puh-lease, the gaming gods aren't that kind. :P

As for TOR, I can't imagine having anything to do with it any time soon. The F2P set up is TRIBBLE, and the art style makes my eyes bleed.
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Lol, there was a funny thread on the forums started today, where a former subscriber tested if he could access the forums, saying "sdafsdf", and one of their community managers said

Imagine what'd happen if it happened HERE. There was a ton of funny posts there. :D

That depends on who get's to the thread first. A lot of mods are no fun here, but some Devs have senses of humor. :P
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    *Awaits Mod Zombie Hunter intervention.*
    signwidrona.png
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    STO is much better

and will be

and it is doing great. Nuff said
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • captnurntumbercaptnurntumber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    STO is much better

and will be

and it is doing great. Nuff said

Actually, its not. STO is a fun game, but its not as well made as SWTOR. It doesn't have as much content as SWTOR, discounting user made content.

I know die hard trekkies won't like to hear that (at least the ones that feel some sort of rivalry with Star Wars) and its at its heart, a matter of opinion.
    edited February 2013
    A true remake of KoTOR 2? Puh-lease, the gaming gods aren't that kind.

As for TOR, I can't imagine having anything to do with it any time soon. The F2P set up is TRIBBLE, and the art style makes my eyes bleed.

That depends on who get's to the thread first. A lot of mods are no fun here, but some Devs have senses of humor.

Yeah, Tumerboy (now known as tacofangs) and Brandon are pretty good at it.

I'm still trying to figure out that thing where 4 devs said the same thing with no intervening posts. :confused:
    Actually, its not. STO is a fun game, but its not as well made as SWTOR. It doesn't have as much content as SWTOR, discounting user made content.

I know die hard trekkies won't like to hear that (at least the ones that feel some sort of rivalry with Star Wars) and its at its heart, a matter of opinion.

TOR's art feels a bit wrong at times - there's not a lot of stuff that I feel comfortable wearing in any specific class (Drelliad Jacket and Classic Conservator's Robe are good for smuggler and the Jedi classes respectively, but...), and I don't like ANY of their weapons. :(

But yeah, the F2P models aside, TOR is much better than STO in almost every respect. Now if only you could choose your flight path in space combat... or, you know, have access to something vaguely resembling the tailor... (or even the Foundry! :D)

Edit: There's just ONE thing I can think of that I like about TOR's F2P model: you can buy almost EVERY subscription perk with credits. Emphasis on "almost", as a credit cap isn't among those things. :mad:

Re-edit: Well, okay, and the fact that you're not spammed with lockboxes everywhere. Then again, the problem is probably in the fact that TOR is far more subtle - it's just as bad in its own way. <.<

edited February 2013
    A true remake of KoTOR 2? Puh-lease, the gaming gods aren't that kind. :P

Obsidian's honcho just pitched a new Star Wars RPG to Lucas/Disney if I'm not mistaken...

I'm cringing already.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013

I left TOR for this game simply due to the massive lack of end game content in it, STO has way more stuff to do at end lvl.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I left TOR for this game simply due to the massive lack of end game content in it, STO has way more stuff to do at end lvl.

Yeah SWTOR gets repetitive a little quicker then STO. Oh lets not forget that space combat in SWTOR is nothing more then a poorly implemented mini-game. Still play though :)
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I joined TOR when the released their Trial Account program. I was thoroughly enjoying the game. In fact, I was spending more time over there then here. It was more out of TOR being new then anything with STO....a change of pace if you will. I came back to STO with S6 to check out the new stuff. I liked Nukara. I went back to TOR after their F2P model went live once and have not been back since. Why? As a free player, I lost 2/3 of my crafting skills, most of my inventory space, and the titles I earned in game. It was bad enough that I did not have access to mail or a bank before hand. I may go back to dabble a little more but, their F2P model is too restrictive......and people are complaining about STO monetizing things.

So from what I have experienced

F2P: STO > TOR
    Customization: STO > TOR
    Space Combat: STO > TOR
    Ground Combat: TOR > STO
    Story Content: TOR > STO
    End Game: ? (Did not get any where near there)
    Microtransactions: STO > TOR (You can get anything from the C-Store through in game means. Cartel Market is real life money only)

In the end, I will definitely be sticking to STO for the foreseeable future and beyond.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wonder why this thread seems to be immune to the forum rules and policies, what is the secret and how do we apply this immunity to our more important threads please?
    signwidrona.png
  • nickr2nickr2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    SWTOR is, how do I put this....... boring. Nuff said.
    Space, the final frontier
    edited February 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I joined TOR when the released their Trial Account program. I was thoroughly enjoying the game. In fact, I was spending more time over there then here. It was more out of TOR being new then anything with STO....a change of pace if you will. I came back to STO with S6 to check out the new stuff. I liked Nukara. I went back to TOR after their F2P model went live once and have not been back since. Why? As a free player, I lost 2/3 of my crafting skills, most of my inventory space, and the titles I earned in game. It was bad enough that I did not have access to mail or a bank before hand. I may go back to dabble a little more but, their F2P model is too restrictive......and people are complaining about STO monetizing things.

So from what I have experienced

F2P: STO > TOR
    Customization: STO > TOR
    Space Combat: STO > TOR
    Ground Combat: TOR > STO
    Story Content: TOR > STO
    End Game: ? (Did not get any where near there)
    Microtransactions: STO > TOR (You can get anything from the C-Store through in game means. Cartel Market is real life money only)

In the end, I will definitely be sticking to STO for the foreseeable future and beyond.

Well, on one end, you can get Zen via ingame means, but on the other hand, you can buy anything sold in the Cartel Market if you have the credits, (and, in the case of the more expensive items, somebody willing to sell it to you WITHOUT using the GTN... which gets IMMENSELY COMPLICATED IF NOT PREFERRED STATUS! I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!) so it sums up to the same thing. I'd say they both have their pros and cons.

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have played TOR a few weeks ago for the first time. After a lot of updating and some wonderfull and amazing FMVs, I was shocked about the graphics.

Very minor character customization possibilties that made my character look like out of a Warner Brother's cartoon.

I played the game for about 15 minutes before uninstalling the whole thing.

But looking at all those Content Updates and Cartell Market stuff and fast reaction on bugs, makes me really jealous.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Well, on one end, you can get Zen via ingame means, but on the other hand, you can buy anything sold in the Cartel Market if you have the credits, (and, in the case of the more expensive items, somebody willing to sell it to you WITHOUT using the GTN... which gets IMMENSELY COMPLICATED IF NOT PREFERRED STATUS! I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!) so it sums up to the same thing. I'd say they both have their pros and cons.

Only certain items are available through the GTN. If its a legacy unlock or inventory unlock, then you have to spend $ on it. There is also the problem that you have to wait a few days to sell it on the GTN or trade it to someone else.
    edited February 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Only certain items are available through the GTN. If its a legacy unlock or inventory unlock, then you have to spend $ on it. There is also the problem that you have to wait a few days to sell it on the GTN or trade it to someone else.

Wrong, actually. Virtually anything you can buy in the Cartel Market (if not ABSOLUTELY anything) can be sold on the GTN. The real problem is in finding any being sold, and more importantly, being able to have enough credits to buy it. Most people seem to like selling F2P-only stuff at prices ABOVE the credit cap. It is however bypassable. :)