test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vesta Class: Speculation and Discussion

Comments

• rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited October 2012
    thats what seems to be implied , as the stuff isnt things that are associated with other ships , but mentioned as tech carried by the Aventine in the books
    all speculation , and i really hope it isnt the case ( as id hate myself , but would buy the pack anyway )
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • caileachcaileach Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rrincy wrote: »
    thats what seems to be implied , as the stuff isnt things that are associated with other ships , but mentioned as tech carried by the Aventine in the books
    all speculation , and i really hope it isnt the case ( as id hate myself , but would buy the pack anyway )
    Yeah, same here! I've been waiting to long for it just say "ah, forget it"! It will be the first Z-Store ship I ever bought, still flying a Sci-Recon I got when I hit 50.
    When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative: violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way.
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    caileach wrote: »
    Yeah, same here! I've been waiting to long for it just say "ah, forget it"! It will be the first Z-Store ship I ever bought, still flying a Sci-Recon I got when I hit 50.

Ah, the Recon Science Vessel...such a fine ship!

I guess if they do a Vesta "pack," I'll be torn between the situation of NOT wanting to spend $50 on the Vesta and at the same time being excited that they could make the Vesta such a versatile and interesting ship to play as a result of giving it the "Oddy treatment." I guess I'll just have to wait and see. With the Tholian ships and the timeships being science oriented, I feel like I've been playing around a lot lately with these hybrid science/tactical builds (that all don't do the damage of a pure tactical build, though they have niche roles nevertheless), and one more ship filling that same role might be overkill for me. Then again, I imagine the Vesta will be a fairly tough ship...I wonder if they could make her everything her fans want her to be without her being overpowered. Ah well, I'm rambling now, time for bed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zdfx19 wrote: »
    Some how, I figure it will be 2500 Zen for a base model with 9 console slots akin to the way the Regent was handled. A few months after release there will be a fleet version for 500 Zen more by way of a fleet module that adds 10% hull and shileds with one additional console. Milking ships for all they can anymore...

Well there aren't any c store ships you can buy with 10 consoles short of the the Oddy and Bort, so thats really nothing new. You don't really need to spend zen to get the fleet module and you only need one so its not that hard.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No need to speculate on how beautiful she it, that's for sure. I just finished a photoshoot for the Vesta and was drooling the whole time. The images will be published in an upcoming Dev Blog and I'm really excited for you to see them.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Can you tell us if it will be a FULL Science Vessel, or one of those god awful SCI-Cruisers?
    edited October 2012
    Not long to wait to find out
    geko tweeted the dev blog concerning the vesta will be coming next week
    12th Fleet
    edited October 2012
    Not long to wait to find out
    geko tweeted the dev blog concerning the vesta will be coming next week

Yeah but it could be on friday with my luck and thats almost a whole nother week!
    edited October 2012
    well its coming regardless , and said that includes full stats , which is , lets face it , what everyone on this thread wants to know
    12th Fleet
  • dkevadkeva Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The anticipation of this ship is really huge for me. I'm not expecting an "I win" ship, but just hope I'm not let down. :D

I know the length has been compared to the Sov, but REALLY hope it's given more of the general Sci ship's turn rate....

Time will tell I guess. Interested to find out if it is a 3 pack, if there is a set bonus, like was done the Oddy.
    /crosses fingers and holds thumbs for visuals :D
    edited October 2012
    well we know what it looks like :p
    im just praying its got the lt cmdr tac station it needs to make use of those cannons effectively , or at least it comes in a pack that can give it that

that said , regardless of what it has ill respec to fit it , this ship is my absolute favorite and i cant wait for it to get in game :D
    12th Fleet
  • dkevadkeva Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Agreed!
    It would take something horrid for me to not buy this ship. And I mean like REALLY horrid :)

Another thing. Technically, if this is a 3pack with the abilities being console based (to make the set with visuals I want :p) shouldn't that mean there will be 10 console slots to make up for the 'loss'??

I'll hopefully see you ingame with yours....
    edited October 2012
    well if if it does indeed have 3 consoles and is a three ship pack like the odyssey ( pure speculation mind i really hope it doesnt , but we'll have to see) then it should have that tenth slot , since thats the whole reason the odyssey and bortas have it
    12th Fleet
    edited October 2012
    well i think people will be dissapointed if they want a pure science ship , seeing as its supposed to be a cruiser in the books
    12th Fleet
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    well i think people will be dissapointed if they want a pure science ship , seeing as its supposed to be a cruiser in the books

She was a sci-crusier hybrid ship designed to test out new systems and technology - particlarly an advance slipstream drive.

Although she is just a few meters shorter than the sov - the turn rate should be significanlty higher as the bulk of the ship is compacted up front - the reason for her long length is the very long sweep back nacelles.
    edited October 2012
    very true , theres a few concepts knocking about (some done by the creator ) of the ship with swept forwards nacelle pylons , cuts the length of the ship down drastically

https://picasaweb.google.com/Clawhammer.Rademaker/MarkRademaker#5664095259208940034
    theres one
    12th Fleet
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The same argument applies to the Sov though, those nacelles protrude a LONG way rearwards.
    edited October 2012
    thats true , thats why im betting the turn circle is around the same
    12th Fleet
  • jadensecurajadensecura Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Fundamentally, Science is at a continuous disadvantage in PvE, it may be able to measure up in PvP, I don't know, but most people don't play that. Vesta is supposed to be a Sci ship with dual cannons, so that should come out looking something like this:

27k hull
    1.43 shield modifier
    4 fore/3 aft weapons
    3 Sci/3 Tac/2 Eng consoles
    Inertia rating: 50, turn rate: 13
    includes Sensor Analysis
    can mount dual cannons

Lt. Cmdr. Tac.
    Lt. Eng
    Cmdr. Sci
    Lt. Sci
    Ens. Sci

The boff layout is the standard hybrid style, although I'd be fine with the same layout as Recon Sci as well. The shield modifier matches the one on fleet ships, although if there would be a fleet version this would obviously change. The movement stats are selected to match the Recon Sci, which seems reasonable. Where I know I'm going to get argument is on the weapons, but I deliberately made sacrifices to compensate for that. That's the reason it has only 8 consoles instead of 9, a low hull strength compared to fleet ships, and no SST (admittedly no one would use that since they'd run cannons, but still).

For anyone who thinks this would still be OP, you must not have run the numbers. An RSV with a 2 single cannon+1torp/3 turrets layout gets the same boost to DPS over time from GW3 and CSV1. The difference is that CSV1 is a Lt. ability while GW3 is a Cmdr. ability. Sci abilities don't even chain effectively, since they have the 1/2 uptime of most tac abilities and the 2/3 global CD of most eng abilities.

What that all means is that while this would be OP relative to other science ships, it would not be OP relative to other classes. There was a very revealing comment on page 5 of this thread: "a good sci player ( not even a great sci player, but a good one) can cause all sorts of havoc and pretty much take you one on one." Yes, a skilled player in a sci ship can come up to the level of a player in another ship. Wait a second, shouldn't a player in any ship be a match for a player of the same level in any other ship?
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    carl103 wrote: »
    The same argument applies to the Sov though, those nacelles protrude a LONG way rearwards.

If you remove the Nacelles on both ships you will find that the Vesta is about 100 meters shorter i believe - that is a significant difference.

One reason to justify a 10+ turn was that in the books she was stated as being very nimble thus the only crusier to be able to make use of forward cannons.
    edited October 2012
    Fundamentally, Science is at a continuous disadvantage in PvE, it may be able to measure up in PvP, I don't know, but most people don't play that. Vesta is supposed to be a Sci ship with dual cannons, so that should come out looking something like this:

27k hull
    1.43 shield modifier
    4 fore/3 aft weapons
    3 Sci/3 Tac/2 Eng consoles
    Inertia rating: 50, turn rate: 13
    includes Sensor Analysis
    can mount dual cannons

Lt. Cmdr. Tac.
    Lt. Eng
    Cmdr. Sci
    Lt. Sci
    Ens. Sci

The boff layout is the standard hybrid style, although I'd be fine with the same layout as Recon Sci as well. The shield modifier matches the one on fleet ships, although if there would be a fleet version this would obviously change. The movement stats are selected to match the Recon Sci, which seems reasonable. Where I know I'm going to get argument is on the weapons, but I deliberately made sacrifices to compensate for that. That's the reason it has only 8 consoles instead of 9, a low hull strength compared to fleet ships, and no SST (admittedly no one would use that since they'd run cannons, but still).

For anyone who thinks this would still be OP, you must not have run the numbers. An RSV with a 2 single cannon+1torp/3 turrets layout gets the same boost to DPS over time from GW3 and CSV1. The difference is that CSV1 is a Lt. ability while GW3 is a Cmdr. ability. Sci abilities don't even chain effectively, since they have the 1/2 uptime of most tac abilities and the 2/3 global CD of most eng abilities.

What that all means is that while this would be OP relative to other science ships, it would not be OP relative to other classes. There was a very revealing comment on page 5 of this thread: "a good sci player ( not even a great sci player, but a good one) can cause all sorts of havoc and pretty much take you one on one." Yes, a skilled player in a sci ship can come up to the level of a player in another ship. Wait a second, shouldn't a player in any ship be a match for a player of the same level in any other ship?

thats the boff seating most seem to agree on , hopefully it'll be like that or similar
    12th Fleet
    edited October 2012
    I'm hoping it won't be in a 3 pack like the Oddy like some people oddly want. Not all of us have 50 bucks to blow so easily.
    edited October 2012
    not long to find out now
    12th Fleet
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    o.0

ill wait for confirmation on the dev blog thanks

it makes sense with the cannons , but not the fighters
    12th Fleet
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    AFAIK the Oddy varients can be bought singlly.

Also like somoe else said, universal slts of some kind are garunteed.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    The speculation ends in T-50 minutes, as the blog will be posted then :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • ask4kirk1701ask4kirk1701 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Excellent - looking forward to this one! :D

Times up.. it's been more than 50 minutes.
  • boweninugamiboweninugami Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wanna see this. My fleet commander and I want to see this beast
  • squishkinsquishkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Times up.. it's been more than 50 minutes.

If by '50' you mean '6', then yes. :p
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    C'mooooon. I've coloured myself intrigued in anticipation!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]