700 Day Android

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Excellent Thank you muchly

Yer muchly welcome... :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    jijantyrjijantyr Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Last thing I will say on the subject. Although it is true that AI's are indeed 'artificial' and it's hard for writers to put themselves in the position of an AI .... WE do create them. As such we can decide (to an extent) just how 'human' or 'alien' we make them. A good example is EDI, who has 'priorities' and desires (much like a checklist she likes to see filled) that prevent her from placing her own worth over that of the crew. She's also curious. has a fascination with comedy and depending on your choices will make additions to her programming adding virtues like altruisim, duty, love and self-sacrifice. But despite all these things she's most definitely a credible synthetic, she just realises that she was made by humans in their image.

You can see some examples of AI research in real life like Japan where they experiment among things with heuristic artificial intelligence that works very similar to our brains. So no, although I think that the writers of ST didn't do THAT great of a job I don't think it's entirely out of bounds to say 'If I were a machine ....'

At the very least it keeps (good) sci-fi stories being made about AI's ^^
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I believe it's also role of the characters EDI, Canal Vorfeed, and Cortana (To some extent). So it's not a new character type, but it would be interesting to see it through a Star Trek filter.

What I would like to see is a story arc involving an A.I. motivated by something other than human desires. And then it would be up to you to decide how to react to it.

What if HAL 9000 and Dave were forced to work together? Is it dangerous thing to be deactivated for the safety of all involved? Or is it worth reasoning with a machine to further a common goal? How would that have turned out? How would you handle that situation?

It's a question I'd like this game to give me the answer. :D

Haha, yes I'd like that too xD Although, once you step away from the 'human perspective' is it still star trek?? :P Also it's difficult to think 'not like a human' if you're a human ^^.

But yes, I think I wrote above: what if one of the Star Trek 'villains' (I said klingons but it could be anyone) got their hands on Starfleet's AI research?? Or what if they stole one and started messing with it, driving it nuts (and it would go all HAL 9000 on their arses). Would you try to help it? or deactivate it? Or something else entirely??

Would make an excellent story arc, I agree.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jheinig wrote: »
    Quick note: I'm on medical leave. The surgeon has not cleared me to return to work. I just happen to be able to browse the internet while recovering, which allows me to visit the forums from time to time because I love you all so much. :)

Good to hear you're getting better. Continue on that route and everyone will be happy! :D
    That's the primary thing missing from Star Trek, cool robots, and that's why Star Wars will always be better. (And I love Star Trek)

Sad Exocomp is sad. :(
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ...950 Days... (for me)...

Is it even worth continuing to count... ??

:(

Oooo I just noticed I hit Captain.. :D

:cool:
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    ...950 Days... (for me)...

Is it even worth continuing to count... ??

Doesn't seem like it anymore. :( Hopefully all the LTS's purchased lately went to a good cause.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Doesn't seem like it anymore. :( Hopefully all the LTS's purchased lately went to a good cause.

Halloween Candy?
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    jslyn wrote: »
    Halloween Candy?

Nope...

CUPS.
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    I would cheer out the "why are we waiting" song, but I know it would be in vain. ;)
  • Options
    direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In other news, Thomas the Cat just tweeted an hour ago that JHeinig is back in the office today, but I imagine he's probably got a lot of other stuff on his plate right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Halloween Candy?

Little frosted spaceships? I can get behind that. :P
    In other news, Thomas the Cat just tweeted an hour ago that JHeinig is back in the office today, but I imagine he's probably got a lot of other stuff on his plate right now.

Yay! Good news! :D
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    Nope...

CUPS.

Cups?! We have nowhere to put them.

That is good to hear. I am glad that he is doing better.

Little frosted spaceships? I can get behind that. :P

Borg Brand Gummy Ships. Chew through the Federation by the handful.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cups?! We have nowhere to put them.

I'm sure we can fit a cup in there...right next to the telephone

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100816162350/memoryalpha/de/images/3/37/Data_Telefon.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Borg Brand Gummy Ships. Chew through the Federation by the handful.

Nonono... not gummies, everyone know Borg Cakes are the way to go. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I'm sure we can fit a cup in there...right next to the telephone

Bad idea. You might put the wrong one to your ear.

Nonono... not gummies, everyone know Borg Cakes are the way to go. :D

My friend had one of those for a wedding cake.

But no, we want the Borg Brand Gummy Ships. They come in all of your favorite colors: pine, lime, mint, moss, ash, gunmetal, Charcoal, gainsboro...
  • Options
    lordcorrinolordcorrino Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is this boff reclaimable if you dismiss him?
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Is this boff reclaimable if you dismiss him?

As of now, yes. You just go back to the vendor to reclaim him.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's fantastic news! One step closer to getting my Tac Android. :)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    stherosthero Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hi! I am a Lifetime Subscriber but am unable to claim the Android Bridge Officer from Earth Spacedock!! Can someone please help?? Thanks!
    Resistance is Futile.

You Will be Assimilated.

Assimilation is the Key to Happiness.
    :D
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    sthero wrote: »
    Hi! I am a Lifetime Subscriber but am unable to claim the Android Bridge Officer from Earth Spacedock!! Can someone please help?? Thanks!

Check your lifetime rewards section of the C-Store. Other than that... I'm not sure.
  • Options
    genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow, I leave for a few months and the 700 day Android thread drops to page eleven... ELEVEN!!!

Really folks, I know the game has devolved into a mess few veterans even care about anymore, but we should still try to hold them to their promises. I'm not leaving till I get my female android!
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Check your lifetime rewards section of the C-Store. Other than that... I'm not sure.

As far as I know, you already get the token to get it when you obtain the 700 day veteran accolade. So you should only need to go visit the personnel officer at Earth Space Dock, toggle the appropriate tab and then secure the Android you want to get.
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    genericii wrote: »
    Wow, I leave for a few months and the 700 day Android thread drops to page eleven... ELEVEN!!!

Really folks, I know the game has devolved into a mess few veterans even care about anymore, but we should still try to hold them to their promises. I'm not leaving till I get my female android!

Well, not just that, but also the variant android professions, too.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    danbuk24danbuk24 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Plus one to that! :D
    "More spacebar Mr Worf! More spacebar!"
  • Options
    edited November 2012

We've been slacking. :P Sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

ABSOLUTELY!! I want my female android too! I actually posted that question on the 'ask cryptic' page but .... yeah, it obviously didn't make the cut :'(
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow, I leave for a few months... I'm not leaving till I get...
    >points and laughs at contradiction/hypocrisy<

:D

:P

;)

(Mocking thread Bump.)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    >points and laughs at contradiction/hypocrisy<

These things just happen. :P
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    jijantyr wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY!! I want my female android too! I actually posted that question on the 'ask cryptic' page but .... yeah, it obviously didn't make the cut :'(

Did you expect otherwise? I wonder the answer would have been had they taken the question. Having never actually read an 'Ask Cryptic' I could only guess.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ...982 Days... For me... (yep, I'm still counting, but I'm not holding my breath)... ;)