test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

700 Day Android

Comments

• lolimpicardlolimpicard Member Posts: 309
    edited January 2013
    Star Trek never had a lot of robots didn't it? :( Rather sad.

It was down to the budget, I think.
    They just didn't have the money to do anything like that, because otherwise I'm sure they would have.

Because of this I think by now it's kinda non-Trek-conform to have robots/exoskeletons etc. - simply because we havn't ever seen any in Star Trek (apart from two Androids and a few Photonics who look conveniently like a dude with makeup).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...still jumping around the house in glee!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2013
    Fresh from the TRIBBLE update:

WOOO HOOO YES FINALLY!!!

It's not the tactical or science android options, but at least it's something!

I stayed after hours to work out some bugs that were keeping the files from hooking properly. Further department variation would require costume work, which is outside my ability. "Me not art so good." This doesn't mean it's impossible, just that it would require an artist with free time.
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jheinig wrote: »
    I stayed after hours to work out some bugs that were keeping the files from hooking properly. Further department variation would require costume work, which is outside my ability. "Me not art so good." This doesn't mean it's impossible, just that it would require an artist with free time.

Well, thank you soo much! I can't wait to hop into TRIBBLE tonight and swap out my (non-Android) Alien!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And we are thankful for the effort that you put towards mostly fixing this. Hopefully, this time next year it will be completely fixed.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2013

WOW!

I WAS not EXPECTING for there to ever be ANY progress on this matter !

You've just made a lot of players happy sir !

THANK YOU !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited January 2013

So, basicly all the things people actually want in-game the developers are not getting paid for developing?
    I bet it's official PWE policy and says so in your contracts. :confused:
    (Intended as a joke but.. I can see how it's not funny. Lockbox or die.)

It sheds some light on the state of cross-faction BOff costumes, tho.
    Maybe we should try bribing you people with black money instead of buying Zen.

As a hobbist game developer I'm also beginning to wonder what your development pipeline looks like with this game/engine.
    I bet it's a mess (Altho I'll agree that this is (or used to be) pretty normal).

Those 700 day veterans are bound to be very grateful (the others can only pretend).
    The whole "not getting paid" for it thing leaves a bad aftertaste, tho.
    Because what exactly are we putting money in this game for and should you not be rewarded for your effort?
    So PWE can make you develop more "content" to drain us of the rest of our money?

*sigh* The whole post turned out more vicious than I intended (altho as a non-native speaker I have difficulties being subtle either way).
    It's not intended as a personal attack in any way - it just seems like the post made an easy target for my repressed rage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you for putting in extra time, Jesse, your time is appreciated. Having Female Engineering Andoids is a step in the right direction for people wanting that variance.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but those of us waiting for Tactical Androids are still where we were in April of 2012 (see CommodorShrvk's Post 525 for full History, for those interested in the past).

:(

So if all we're waiting for is an Art Dude(tte?) to spend some of their own, personal time, on this not-on-schedule project... Can you ask them what sort of bribery it'll take? Case of Oreos? Six-pack of imported beer? Let's put on our big-boy Ferengi pants, figure out what we're talking about here, and get this finally ironed out!

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Fresh from the TRIBBLE update:

WOOO HOOO YES FINALLY!!!

It's not the tactical or science android options, but at least it's something!

Aww yeah :D! Progress!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013

The xtra hours, on YOUR OWN TIME, are greatly appreciated!
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thank you!
    edited January 2013
    Doesn't department variation depend mostly on powers with just color variation for the uniforms? So the art required for science and tactical would just require blue or red coloring.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I salute you sir. This is the kind of stuff that makes me happy to be a part of this game. :cool:
    edited January 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    Doesn't department variation depend mostly on powers with just color variation for the uniforms? So the art required for science and tactical would just require blue or red coloring.

I fail to see how any such would be necessary.
    The Eng, Tac and Sci BOffs of other "races" neither have different clothing options nor do they look different apart from the armor visuals - which are part of the armor.

Only thing I can imagine is this:
    The BOff has a special uniform that clearly identifies his department and would have to be "ported" to other departments for it to look consistent.

Kinda like the Borg BOff, except with department identification.
    It's no a big issue, tho, since all other clothing options would work as usual regardless of department (if it works like the Borg BOff, which can be customized).

Considering how incomplete the Diplomacy/Marauding BOff outfit options are I wouldn't even consider this a problem.

Of course there might be something I'm missing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He's dead, Jim.
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the devs help on getting this finally in. There are a ton of LTS members that are really going to be glad this is now available.
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I fail to see how any such would be necessary.
    The Eng, Tac and Sci BOffs of other "races" neither have different clothing options nor do they look different apart from the armor visuals - which are part of the armor.

Only thing I can imagine is this:
    The BOff has a special uniform that clearly identifies his department and would have to be "ported" to other departments for it to look consistent.

Kinda like the Borg BOff, except with department identification.
    It's no a big issue, tho, since all other clothing options would work as usual regardless of department (if it works like the Borg BOff, which can be customized).

Considering how incomplete the Diplomacy/Marauding BOff outfit options are I wouldn't even consider this a problem.

Of course there might be something I'm missing.

I believe the android facial accessories might fall under the category of costuming. Perhaps that is the problem? I'd like to believe it would be as simple as copy-paste and change a few parameters, but with absolutely no knowledge of their internal structure I can only guess.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I appreciate Jesse's efforts but I'm mystified as to why this was so difficult.

I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Still awaiting Tactical options.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank You Very Much for your extra effort...

It is deeply appreciated.

1030 days for me and I shall stop counting...

Thank You again. :)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2013
    Might be interesting if Androids get different costume options depending on which department is picked. Tactical Androids would have shield plating while Science Androids would have science equipment.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I shall take it and I shall be happy with it. Thank you for spending your free time on us. It is much appreciated.
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Kudos to you, I respect your dedication.
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

first, someone give this man a Beer and a Bearhug from me!

second, other departments do not really need artwork, we can set the uniform colors ourself in the tailor, you know? :)

imho just a matter of duplicating the BOff and maybe adding other Traits + Department tags.

that sounds relatively easy...

of course if YOU WANT different artwork and already have something in mind to make it even better... hey thats fine with me too!
    but i'm perfectly happy with just a different Uniform Color that i can set myself, just saying ;)

Now someone get this man a Beer ASAP!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am very thankful that progress has been made and that further progress is now possible.

Thanks, Jesse!

From what little we do know about how art is used within the game system, I'm not surprised that it might take a dedicated art person to set up the costume options. It's not just recoloring, but also dealing with some behind-the-scenes metadata.

Available costume pieces are tied to Race, and default costume colors are tied to Class.

Aside from that, somebody would have to decide what default skills a Tac or Sci Android BOFF should have.

That all said, I already have the option of getting a Liberated Borg BO who is an Engineer by default. I don't need another Engineering option. What I would like, seeing as how I have more Science captains than any other class, is the option to get a special Science BO. When I can get an Android Science officer, I'll be all over it. Given the special capabilities of the Android, a Tac option looks mighty attractive, too. Until then I still don't have any special incentive to get to 700 days. I'll get there eventually, but I have no reason to push for it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just went back to get the female Android and it is still male-only. I don't understand why people are being thanked yet, as far as I can see nothing has changed. I dismissed and re-hired the android several times and there is still only the male version to purchase, plus you can't change his gender after you've picked him. What am I missing?
    edited January 2013
    casbyness wrote: »
    I just went back to get the female Android and it is still male-only. I don't understand why people are being thanked yet, as far as I can see nothing has changed. I dismissed and re-hired the android several times and there is still only the male version to purchase, plus you can't change his gender after you've picked him. What am I missing?

Did you check it on tribble? It being on Tribble means that we should get the Female Android on Holodeck this Thursday.
  • snoge00fsnoge00f Member Posts: 1,812 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Very cool developments on this front. :)

I can't wait until we can properly customize our Boffs. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 803 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you ever so much, jheinig! It's a shame that the only way for this to get done even to this degree it had to be done on your spare time. For this, I thank you! Hopefully someone can put aside the time to finish the work on the costumes for the other department versions now that you've gotten this out of the way.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=515431 :)
    • Updated 700-day veteran reward androids:
      • Added science and tactical versions of the android Bridge Officers.
      • A given captain may still only have one android officer at a time.
        • If you discharge your existing android, you may reclaim a new one at Earth Spacedock or Qo'noS Bridge Officer Requisitions at no cost, under "Special Officers".
      • The new android career divisions are available in both male and female versions for Starfleet and KDF captains.

Can I close this thread down now? :P Nah, but thanks Jesse and team!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thank you very very much
    edited January 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=515431 :)

Can I close this thread down now? :P Nah, but thanks Jesse and team!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Keep it up for a couple weeks so all of us can show our gratitude for finally finishing the Android Boffs, then it doesn't matter since we will have a new thread commenting on our Android Bridge Officers. This thread has pretty much run its course.