test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any plan to give Veteran Rewards in this game?

thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
Once, a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I recall that there was this game called STO that once offered rewards based on time subscribed, this was called "Veteran" rewards. If I recall my history correctly, the company in charge changed the definition of Veteran Rewards, and gave it to people instantly via purchasing the rewards in one lump sum of money, called a Lifetime Subscription. No longer were the Veteran Rewards time based, they were now a "buy your way to Veteran Rewards" scheme.

My question is, did the people in charge of STO ever provide Veteran Rewards again, based on time subscribed back into the game? Or was this reward system forever removed?

Satire aside, I'm asking a serious question. When will Cryptic introduce a Veteran Reward system into the game, like there use to be at one time, based on time subbed, and not simply bought in a lump sum and collected all at once.
Post edited by thedoctorbluebox on

Comments

• stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    STO still provides vet rewards to its players. If you are a gold member you will earn vet rewards up to 1,000 days as you continue to pay your monthly subscription.

Lifetime subscribers are special gold members. They earn all their rewards at once because they pay for their entire subscription at once rather then paying it monthly.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd love to see some vet rewards in this game! Vet rewards would be an awesome addition, many other MMOG's offer them, I wonder why Cryptic didn't think of it earlier?
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Should name the new ship "The Perfect Scam"

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    You're not clever, Doctor.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    There are almost never rewards for time invested, always for money invested. That's how subscriptions work - time is equivalent to money. You don't pay, you don't get.

The only game that rewarded early joiners was Guild Wars, where you get anniversary gifts that simply depended on when you made your payment. (Even then you could argue it was rewarding the Present Value of the initial payment.)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    A lifer will be here to get them all eventually.

Segregating people by time served is a bad idea anyway. It's one thing to have events. Which you'd get if you were there for. Like the nanopulse weapons, the fire extinguishers, Worf's baldric, the titles. (And the titles are the thing I wouldn't expect sold.)

So...
    My question is, did the people in charge of STO ever provide Veteran Rewards again, based on time subscribed back into the game? Or was this reward system forever removed?

I hope they NEVER DO. Because that encourages ELITISM and ELITIST players really wouldn't fit in, in STAR TREK.

If there are still people melting down over this by Friday, Brandon oughta give 'em two days to edit their posts before going hunting.

There's your vet reward, right there. The fact that there are quite a few people having meltdowns over this and there's not a wave of forum bans. It's entirely out of respect for the money you spent and the time you spent that you can make more than one thread like this without getting a forum suspension.
  • jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OMG, Cryptic makes super awesome veteran ships for 1000 day reward and you didn't expect them to conjure up a way to make additional monies off of it? From a business stand point it made perfect sense, you may not like it, but I for one welcome our new 1000 day LTS newbie overlords.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jorumgandr wrote: »
    OMG, Cryptic makes super awesome veteran ships for 1000 day reward and you didn't expect them to conjure up a way to make additional monies off of it? From a business stand point it made perfect sense, you may not like it, but I for one welcome our new 1000 day LTS newbie overlords.

I really believe it was more a case of them coming up with a way to monetize it so they could get management to OK the resources (man hours) to make such cool ships.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    To me, what Cryptic did basically answered the question of "is there going to be veteran rewards past 1000 days", and right now, to me, that answer is a definite no.

What we knew of the Veteran Rewards is a thing of the past and now just a massive Lifetime subscription perk.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    Sorry Doctor, you're going to lose this one.

It makes total sense from a business standpoint to offer all the rewards in one go when you buy the lts.

The only reason they could not do this earlier, is because most of the vet rewards never existed.
    Now they're all here, they can be sold all in one go up front for new and old lts accounts.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2012
    To me, what Cryptic did basically answered the question of "is there going to be veteran rewards past 1000 days", and right now, to me, that answer is a definite no.

What we knew of the Veteran Rewards is a thing of the past and now just a massive Lifetime subscription perk.

Yup, I very much doubt we will see any more veteran rewards.

If we do though, they will be given away up front just like the previous 10 most probably..
  • ertihanertihan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Look, I'm a Lifetimer, and have been for about a year now. So that's about 300+ days, coming up on 400 now. While I am grateful I get such wonderful new toys I do agree it's kind of a slap in the face of those who'd been around since beta.

I *do* think that lifetimers should get SOMETHING that justifies what they paid, though, so I thought that what they should've done is halve their veteran requirements. Get the 1000-day veteran award at only 500 days. That way, there's a benefit to being a lifetimer, without pissing off the the truly dedicated.

Of course now that they've already done this, there's really no way to fix it. Unless they're gonna be REAL TRIBBLE an take away our veteran bonuses after already giving it to us. *yoink!* Haha, suckers!
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    2000 days reward: Intern a Cyptic offices?
    :P
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Segregating people by time served is a bad idea anyway. It's one thing to have events. Which you'd get if you were there for. Like the nanopulse weapons, the fire extinguishers, Worf's baldric, the titles. (And the titles are the thing I wouldn't expect sold.)

So...

I hope they NEVER DO. Because that encourages ELITISM and ELITIST players really wouldn't fit in, in STAR TREK.

If there are still people melting down over this by Friday, Brandon oughta give 'em two days to edit their posts before going hunting.

There's your vet reward, right there. The fact that there are quite a few people having meltdowns over this and there's not a wave of forum bans. It's entirely out of respect for the money you spent and the time you spent that you can make more than one thread like this without getting a forum suspension.

Realy? REALLY? *rolls eyes*

People are disappointed. A dynamic has changed. Let them vent.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012

They can vent, but i get to point
    GwaoHAD.png
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    They can vent, but i get to point

LOL. Ok. Fair enough.
  • ikenstein1ikenstein1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Two hundred dollars seems like a lot to pay for a virtual item. If people want it that bad let them have it.

But you're right. The vet rewards were valuable because they were exclusive, Now that value has gone. Also the anticipation, waiting for the reward was worth more than the reward itself. It does seem something was lost.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012

So...

No, it encourages satisfaction.

It's not like this was the first MMO is history to give Veteran rewards. ;) When I get some sort of vetern reward in an MMO is makes me feel like I accomplished something more in a game...not a "LOL you are a new player and don't have this!" Thanks for generalizing everyone as "trolls" pal.

You don't see Ensigns in STAR TREK bribing Starfleet to make them Vice Admirals.

In all hoenstly your post history suggests a little something about you, but I'll just let your history speak for itself.

What Cryptic did was WRONG, simple as that; and for a STAR TREK game, just asking for a lump of cash for 1000 days of stuff...hmm something seems wrong maybe? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • easytiger79easytiger79 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As a previous Gold subscriber who was initially appalled at yet another Cryptic grab for cash whilst again showing their breath-taking disregard for this community...

... after reading all the crybaby replies about this, in a way I can't blame them. This game is FULL of man-children! Too right they should squeeze everything out of the amount of fools here before the ship goes down. Some players genuinely believe that different colour forum titles and other stupid niknaks elevates them from their peers - it's hilarious and depressing at the same time.
    edited October 2012

I'm saying the leeway to vent is your vet reward. If people griped this much about something they didn't spend money on, you'd have already seen all the threads merged and a bunch of 72 hour forum suspensions. Congratulations on using your latitude to gripe about a lost sense of entitlement.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is definitely a case of the vocal minority not representing the larger community. Here are the facts:

- Any LTSer who is under 700 days in their LTS benefits greatly from this change.
    - The LTS vets with 700+ will have mixed feelings on this change depending on how much they value the commitment to STO
    - Anyone who is a F2P, likes the game, and has been considering subbing/buying LTS should be extremely happy for this change.

That means the gross majority should support this change. The gold subbers who only sub for the vet rewards and the top tier lifers are the only losers here and they are a small minority of the game to be sure.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
    edited October 2012
    This is definitely a case of the vocal minority not representing the larger community. Here are the facts:

- Any LTSer who is under 700 days in their LTS benefits greatly from this change.
    - The LTS vets with 700+ will have mixed feelings on this change depending on how much they value the commitment to STO
    - Anyone who is a F2P, likes the game, and has been considering subbing/buying LTS should be extremely happy for this change.

That means the gross majority should support this change. The gold subbers who only sub for the vet rewards and the top tier lifers are the only losers here and they are a small minority of the game to be sure.

Here's my thing. I didn't LOSE anything aside from bragging rights. I'd only have lost something if they gave the new people 10 months of stipend and something I don't get.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ertihan wrote: »
    Look, I'm a Lifetimer, and have been for about a year now. So that's about 300+ days, coming up on 400 now. While I am grateful I get such wonderful new toys I do agree it's kind of a slap in the face of those who'd been around since beta.

I *do* think that lifetimers should get SOMETHING that justifies what they paid, though, so I thought that what they should've done is halve their veteran requirements. Get the 1000-day veteran award at only 500 days. That way, there's a benefit to being a lifetimer, without pissing off the the truly dedicated.

Of course now that they've already done this, there's really no way to fix it. Unless they're gonna be REAL TRIBBLE an take away our veteran bonuses after already giving it to us. *yoink!* Haha, suckers!

I'm a lifer too, who was weeks away from the 1000 day reward.

I love getting it early, it's a way cool ship, reminds me of the Jupiter class NPC ship everyone's been asking for, with some way cool new abilities.

Wish it were a ten console ship like the fleet ships though, I REALLY wish Cryptic would reconsider this considering the money you have to shell out in order to be eligible to obtain it.

In so far as this controversy about new lifetime subscribers getting all the rewards all at once......
    I'm not sure if this bothers me at all. I like the fact that it may bring in MORE lifetime subscribers like myself.

I certainly feel that at least those who participate in this promotion will actually get something of value for their money, which is something I really can't say in regards to some of the other things being offered in this game, (fleet projects, lock boxes ect.)

If it brings the company more lifetime subs, more money and therefore results in the generation of more cool things being developed for the game, then I consider the change in policy a small trade off, regardless of how it may have affected me personally, which has been negligible at most.

I don't perceive a slap in the face here, not personally anyway.

I think the more important issue here is making this ship more comparable to the fleet and lock box ships myself.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• baracura28baracura28 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    All i know is, the ship isnt that special from day 1 any more, i have seen so many peeps flying with it.

And the people that will be most upset are the normal subscribers that payed for each and every month till 1000 days, to now just hear someone that bought an LTS yesterday gets the ship Now.

Now be honest doesnt that seem a little unfair?
    Talking to my self, asking stuff to my self, definitely not understanding my self. Such is the life of an overworked Starfleet admiral.
  • sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I can't really get to worked up about this. I had 50 days till 1K. I get that some people are worked up. I'm just not one of them. Most of what I do anymore is grind dilithium. Haven't played a single STF, not a PVP guy. Just fly around, do the occasional exploration mission, get some more dilithium, work on the starbase. Like the new ship. Will get it whenever. The only thing I will do out of some sense of twisted respect/honor is wait till 1K before I change my forum title.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    People went from counting down the days, to this. Whatever this is. (Personally, I'm putting my two pennies on a bad joke. Where the ones who were one, two or three days away are the punchline.)

And Leviathan, if you don't get that, that's okay. Nobody's perfect. And no two people are the same. Sure, for some people it will be about pettiness. But not everyone is striving to be a unique little snowflake. I wouldn't have given a rat's TRIBBLE if they'd taken the last of the LTS perks and put them in vet rewards. I wasn't that crazy about the liberated Borg, or the new ship, never rolled a Borg and would've used the vetship, but not on a main. I can live without both.

There's just what vet rewards are supposed to be, across the industry, and what they're not supposed to be, in STO as of today. They didn't even exempt the titles. It's the feeling of having been lied to. Maybe some people deal with that a bit better than I do. I've got an autistic spectrum disorder, it makes me lack certain social instincts that's resulted in me always having had to really rely on people telling me the truth in order for me to figure what the hell was going on. So nothing quite makes me see red the way finding out I've been lied to does. And because of Cryptic's pattern of behavior in this regard, I always have to look past the red when trying to address them. Whether that's from the start, or because the truth got changed lateron when it was convenient, makes no difference at all.

A pleasant surprise for once, or at least better reason than money, might've helped, though. Because really, I'm going to be watching for financial reports when they come out. Cause I don't believe this is going to help the game any. I'm nothing short of convinced this'll flow straight to PWE. And that may be understandable, as it's a business, but it's not admirable. Reputation matters if you're creating and selling anything more sophisticated than clothespins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    baracura28 wrote: »
    Now be honest doesnt that seem a little unfair?

As a 990 day LTS veteran, I'll go ahead and answer no.

I got goodies every 100 days, as I was promised. If the company decides to change how they reward LTSers, then thats their call.

Really, IMHO, the only people upset by this change are the vets who derive some twisted sense of self-importance by posting thier exclusive items into ESD chat to impress the noobs.

Its the pixel equivalent of "mine is bigger!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    I'm saying the leeway to vent is your vet reward. If people griped this much about something they didn't spend money on, you'd have already seen all the threads merged and a bunch of 72 hour forum suspensions. Congratulations on using your latitude to gripe about a lost sense of entitlement.

Dude what game are you playing that makes you keep creating this false sense of entitlement-envy that you are starting to shove down on the forums...? :confused:

I could care less about a stupid title, or some uniform, etc. It's the morality of this issue itself that has people annoyed. Cryptic just told everyone (in a sense) they they are worthless and mean absolutely nothing, and they are supposed to be running a STAR TREK MMO??

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    Dude what game are you playing that makes you keep creating this false sense of entitlement-envy that you are starting to shove down on the forums...? :confused:

I could care less about a stupid title, or some uniform, etc. It's the morality of this issue itself that has people annoyed. Cryptic just told everyone (in a sense) they they are worthless and mean absolutely nothing, and they are supposed to be running a STAR TREK MMO??

Star Trek is a franchise that makes money for CBS and Paramount.. Gene himself sold Trek, and when the powers that be did not like what it was about like having a women as Number 1 Gene changed it and made another pilot...So the whole it's Star Trek and they must treat it as such would not have worked if Gene did not make some sacrifice to sell his dream.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited October 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Star Trek is a franchise that makes money for CBS and Paramount.. Gene himself sold Trek, and when the powers that be did not like what it was about like having a women as Number 1 Gene changed it and made another pilot...So the whole it's Star Trek and they must treat it as such would not have worked if Gene did not make some sacrifice to sell his dream.

So what is "Star Trek" to you then if not the hope / belief that the world will one day stop caring about differences and work together to build a better society; eliminating poverty, etc.?

I kind of pity the world you must be living in.

Dec '07 Account