test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Time out and Disconnection

Comments

• fanboy3kfanboy3k Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...Time Warner customer....here are my test results.

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.77.43.1
    3 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms tge7-3.snantx3300-er01.texas.rr.com [24.28.133.2
    48]
    4 12 ms 23 ms 23 ms tge0-7-0-7.snantx3000-tr01.texas.rr.com [24.175.
    33.138]
    5 18 ms 15 ms 15 ms 24.175.32.176
    6 16 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae23.hstntxl3-rtr1.texas.rr.com [24.175.32.156]

7 19 ms 14 ms 15 ms ae-2-0.cr0.hou30.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.108]
    8 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms ae-0-0.pr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.181]
    9 158 ms 211 ms 224 ms te9-4.ccr01.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.
    49]
    10 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms te0-4-0-3.ccr21.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .82.21]
    11 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms te0-3-0-2.ccr21.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .5.222]
    12 38 ms 37 ms 37 ms te0-2-0-3.ccr21.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .7.186]
    13 61 ms 59 ms 61 ms te0-1-0-1.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54
    .6.21]
    14 61 ms 61 ms 64 ms te4-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.25
    4]
    15 58 ms 67 ms 70 ms 38.111.40.114
    16 58 ms 59 ms 59 ms 208.95.185.41

Trace complete.

contacting nettest server..
    Local IP: 72.178.118.70
    Ping: 57.9 msec
    Port: 80: 963 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1019 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 959 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1015 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 967 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1023 KB/sec 500
    Port: 443: 1001 KB/sec 33 KB/sec 1059 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 927 KB/sec 32 KB/sec 980 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7255: 967 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1026 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 967 KB/sec 32 KB/sec 1023 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7003: 997 KB/sec 38 KB/sec 1060 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 976 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1034 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7202: 1016 KB/sec 34 KB/sec 1071 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 978 KB/sec 33 KB/sec 1034 KB/sec 500
    Port: 7499: 976 KB/sec 35 KB/sec 1034 KB/sec 500
    Port: 80: 946 KB/sec 33 KB/sec 1001 KB/sec 500
    Idle NIC bandwidth Send: 0 KB/sec Recv: 0 KB/sec
    hit return to exit

PROVIDER: Time Warner
  • draco0167draco0167 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    He also told me that "I" should contact Cryptic and Cogent Co and tell them they should call TWC and open a dialog... bleh

moral of this? everyone who has this issue please call in!
    (512)-485-5555
    Ticket #: 11143479

To anyone else that calls in and is told to contact Cogent Co or Cryptic please know this... (And say this, in a very blunt way to the agent you're speaking with.) You are a customer of TWC. You are not a customer of Cogent Co. Cryptic is not responsible for your internet connection. You are calling the person that you pay for internet to fix an issue with your internet connection. It is their job to then report that connection issue to Cogent Co, or whomever else, if the issue is on a server that they are using from a third party vendor that you are being routed through. It is not your job to call Cogent Co, nor will Cogent Co talk to you about the issue because you are not their customer.

That said, a few posts back there was a guy that said something about this being Cryptic's fault and how he's not able to read tracerts. --- You're an idiot and you should be reading what we're saying in the posts that don't have tracerts if you want to understand the issue. We have been explaining it, and in very plain terms if I do say so myself.

To the rest of you having this issue, yes, please call TWC and report it on that trouble ticket so that we can get them to take care of it...
  • gnostromognostromo Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Glad I found this thread. I've been having the same problem, with the same hop, for several days now, while playing Champions. The troubleshooting forum over there is completely useless, however. I'm not sure that there are enough devs left on CO to even check the Tech forum there, even occasionally. Anyway...

The PL/high latency is frequent, though intermittent, and bad enough to make the game unplayable. As soon as I saw atlas.cogentco, I knew I was in trouble :(

@Draco:
    "You are a customer of TWC. You are not a customer of Cogent Co. Cryptic is not responsible for your internet connection. You are calling the person that you pay for internet to fix an issue with your internet connection. It is their job to then report that connection issue to Cogent Co, or whomever else, if the issue is on a server that they are using from a third party vendor that you are being routed through. It is not your job to call Cogent Co, nor will Cogent Co talk to you about the issue because you are not their customer."

Excellent advice. The first line of tech support (defense) at most mega-corporations is designed to make you hang up in frustration, because they know most folks will keep paying for their crappy service anyway. You have to be assertive, otherwise you'll get nowhere.
  • baronshongobaronshongo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wait a second. Im in WV and still have this issue. Im not under TWC so does that mean i should still call the Texas center...lol. Im not sure but I cant play this game anymore...not that I dont try but i take 2 steps and its SNR for mins just to come back to take a step and SNR again. cant even log in with any of my other toons. DCUO works just fine and so do all my other MMOs...Did Cryptic give up on us? Dudes need to hire me. I'll work for you...just let me play....:confused:
    edited September 2012
    Wait a second. Im in WV and still have this issue. Im not under TWC so does that mean i should still call the Texas center...lol. Im not sure but I cant play this game anymore...not that I dont try but i take 2 steps and its SNR for mins just to come back to take a step and SNR again. cant even log in with any of my other toons. DCUO works just fine and so do all my other MMOs...Did Cryptic give up on us? Dudes need to hire me. I'll work for you...just let me play....:confused:

No matter where you live, you eventually have to go through Cogent's network, because Cryptic uses them. Cogent is notorious for having decent service in some areas, and consistently AWFUL service in others.

The only thing you can do, if you lack the ability to use a decent traceroute/polling application, is call your ISP and let them know what's going on. Maybe you'll get a tech who isn't too lazy to do their job and will run tests for you (good luck).

But if the problem is intermittent, then it's a crapshoot whether the packetloss will be occurring at the exact moment you get through to someone on the phone who can help. In other words, you really need to do the detective work yourself if you stand a snowball's chance of getting any help, I'm afraid.
  • surek2surek2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am in Texas and i am having the same server dissconnects basically 24/7 I cant enjoy playing the missions because of the lag and slingshot rubberbanding and server disconnects I have also noted it happens with every map change and has been 24/7 for me since last thursdays patch. I hope this is fixed soon. i doubt that since we have not been able to play for almost a week we would be offerred some form of compensation from PWE for not being able to play the game, that would be almost too much to even ask.

I would like to see the game ran on a quality server service dedicated to STO
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm glad I use a pre=paid card for my gold sub. I'm not paying until this is fixed.

The way I see it PWE owes me $3.75 I'll take 375 extra Zen
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    I'm glad I use a pre=paid card for my gold sub. I'm not paying until this is fixed.

The way I see it PWE owes me $3.75 I'll take 375 extra Zen

What? I don't see where you're coming from. This isn't even Cryptic/PWE's fault, it's a technical issue with a server provider that has nothing to do with them besides being on the connection route.
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    medtac124 wrote: »
    What? I don't see where you're coming from. This isn't even Cryptic/PWE's fault, it's a technical issue with a server provider that has nothing to do with them besides being on the connection route.

I have cable at home. If it goes out, I am not required BY LAW to py for the duration I don't have it. It doesn't matter if it is Cox's fault, or a contractor who cut one of their lines.

This is the same thing. I am not getting the service I am paying for, they cannot charge me for it.

Learn consumer law, as I have and you would know that.
    edited September 2012
    oldkirkfan wrote: »
    I have cable at home. If it goes out, I am not required BY LAW to py for the duration I don't have it. It doesn't matter if it is Cox's fault, or a contractor who cut one of their lines.

This is the same thing. I am not getting the service I am paying for, they cannot charge me for it.

Learn consumer law, as I have and you would know that.

:rolleyes:
  • stargazer918stargazer918 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi all

My character disconnects when I log on. I get disconnected at various time intervals after I log on. However It did not do this before my game was patched!
    Commander James
    26th Fleet
    Task Force Avalon - CO USS Intrepid

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stargazer918stargazer918 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My game disconnects too!

Although it is not regualar and does so after differing time intervals between when I log on and I get disconnected. However when I played the game before the patch update, It was fine and had no probs!

We must chase this up with the Development team!!!
    Commander James
    26th Fleet
    Task Force Avalon - CO USS Intrepid

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ironeagledefenseironeagledefense Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My game disconnects too!

Although it is not regualar and does so after differing time intervals between when I log on and I get disconnected. However when I played the game before the patch update, It was fine and had no probs!

We must chase this up with the Development team!!!

please do if you can get ahold of any of them.... communication seems to be a one way street here with this game, and always has unless you can magically catch a DEv online playing.
    edited September 2012
    surek2 wrote: »
    I am in Texas and i am having the same server dissconnects basically 24/7 I cant enjoy playing the missions because of the lag and slingshot rubberbanding and server disconnects I have also noted it happens with every map change and has been 24/7 for me since last thursdays patch. I hope this is fixed soon. i doubt that since we have not been able to play for almost a week we would be offerred some form of compensation from PWE for not being able to play the game, that would be almost too much to even ask.

I would like to see the game ran on a quality server service dedicated to STO

I suspect PWE uses Cogent for the same reason anyone else does: cost.

For a laugh, hit google and search "Cogent sucks". The only IT ppl out there who don't trash talk Cogent either work for them, or have work because of them.

I suppose you can write PWE/Cryptic a letter and implore them to find a more reliable provider, with better bandwidth in more regions. It won't do you any good, though.

Hate to be a pessimist, but that's just how it is. If you search the STO and CO forums, you'll find this same issue going back 2 years. Cryptic knows about it, I'm sure, but the bean counters decide who they get their service from...not game developers. I wish that weren't the case, because I'm in the same boat as you (can't play). :(
    edited September 2012
    surek2 wrote: »

For anyone that is not using TWC, the same thing still kinda applies to you but you just have to contact whomever you do use for an ISP. You will need to make them understand the issue and setup a ticket for it. Trouble is that you don't have someone like myself who can call and pretty much force them to through persistence and knowledge and then give everyone else the ticket number...

Also, everyone should also be submitting tickets to Cryptic about the issue. Especially since no one from Cryptic has bothered to post here to let us know they are aware of the issue. Cryptic is able to contact the ISP about the connection issues their customers are having and try to sort things out that way. Like TWC, they will not be likely to do that unless enough PPL are having the problem. Again, you can send a ticket to Cryptic from this link: https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask

For anyone that knows how to do a tracert, you can send your tracerts to Cogent Co at this email address: support@cogentco.com (In your email, don't mention that you're not a customer, just point out the unstable server.) You could also send them to your ISP about the issue if you have an email address to do so. When you contact your ISP, ask them for one if you want it.

For anyone that DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO A TRACERT, you are more than welcome to contact me in-game (As Cryptic doesn't want me to advertise another forum or anything of that nature on their forums.) and I will send you instructions on how to do one and also how to read them yourself so that you know a little more about what we're talking about and also you'll have tracerts to send to Cogent Co.

When you're in the game, even when the server is not responding, I've found that the chat still works. Just use the chat box and type "/tell @draco0167 Send tracert instructions please." Being that you may be disconnected, I will be sending you a link to the information. You can click and drag to highlight the link and the game will copy what you highlighted so you can paste it in your web browser.

If I don't respond, please try again later. I do use an XMPP client to keep my chat connected at all times, even when I'm not in the game. The connection to the chat server has not been affected by this issue that I have seen.

Finally, as far as compensation, I agree with you. I don't doubt that this issue is somehow connected to the last patch, though I'm not sure how. I honestly don't think Cryptic support knows what's going on, from my ticket responses, and so they are unfortunately providing poor *customer facing* customer support. But we can't quite fault their customer support team for not knowing what the heck happened. It is my hope that they are providing an amazing customer support by letting the higher-ups know about the issue that we have been reporting so that the issue can be watched and reported to Cogent Co eventually.

On the up side, perhaps tomorrows patch will resolve the issue...
  • captainpuck1captainpuck1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am from El Paso Texas and Use TimeWarner! I cant play and my crew needs me please help! :confused:
    edited September 2012
    I am from El Paso Texas and Use TimeWarner! I cant play and my crew needs me please help!

Please read the post directly above yours to see how you can help the situation. I know it's long but it has all of the information you need.
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    draco0167 wrote: »
    If I don't respond, please try again later. I do use an XMPP client to keep my chat connected at all times, even when I'm not in the game. The connection to the chat server has not been affected by this issue that I have seen.

I've been meaning to install Pidgin, how do I set it up to work with STO?
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
    edited September 2012
    medtac124 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to install Pidgin, how do I set it up to work with STO?

Lets keep this thread about the tech issue if we can.

But you can find that information here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159864

Please keep in mind that Pidgin is not the only XMPP client that you can use, it just happens to be the one that was noted in that post and so people assume that it's the only way. Trillian and other messenger programs do use XMPP. You just have to find one that uses it.

Please also note that this doesn't work unless you have a gold account. Some have said that it does still work if you had a gold account previously and it has expired but I cannot confirm that.

Now back to the topic...
    edited September 2012
    Just spent the last 2 hours on the phone w/ TWC and finally got through to their senior techs. They are creating a ticket to inform Cogent Co about the issue (I think) but will want to send as much raw data as they can about the issue. More tracerts, for example. At this time I do not have a reference number for the ticket in question because it had not been made by the time I got off the phone. (Supervisor was busy.) But the agent may send me the ticket number via email so that we can add to it. Please note that the agent I was speaking with did go through this thread while I was on the phone with him and took as many examples as he could from the tracerts that we've posted. This does not mean they will be watching this thread though, so posting more doesn't mean they will see it.

While this is good news, it's still an issue that we should be contacting Cryptic about (Side thought here - Why have they still not replied to this thread at all?) as well as our ISP. Cryptic should be able to contact Cogent Co about the issue as that's the company they are using to route to the game servers.

Please also be sending those tracerts to Cogent Co via email: support@cogentco.com
  • irishhawkdrakeirishhawkdrake Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This network issue thats plauging STO in the past week ahs made my game completly unplayable. WHATS GOING ON CRYPTIC????
    edited September 2012
    I'm with TWC in San Antonio and this lag/disconnect started for me last Thursday. Looks like I'm not alone.
  • supernaut93supernaut93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm with TWC in San Antonio and this lag/disconnect started for me last Thursday. Looks like I'm not alone.

Same here. I posted in the forums on 9/02/2012 with the issue on multiple threads, and I have yet to hear from any type of support staff.

A family member who is also in the Austin area and a TW customer, was able to get some support from either Cryptic or Perfect World. He was sent an STO exe file to replace the one in his game files, but it had little effect. He forwarded the file to me as well, and it has not improved my connection issues.

I just submitted a ticket with Perfect World, so hopefully I will get some sort of response in the near future.
  • catriecatrie Member Posts: 0 Media Corps
    edited September 2012
    I also live in Austin, Tx and have Time Warner Cable internet. I can't seem to do anything, due to the " Server Not Responding" message. I was sitting in the Vulcan Sector going in circles, when I moved at all. I am unable to fight, or even load into the Earth Spacedock.
    edited September 2012
    Just clicked the Contact Us link on Support, the link is dead. Fantastic.
    edited September 2012
    @supernaut93 - I could not help but laugh at the title of your reply.

Welcome to Cryptic Tech Support forums, where the customers support each other. :eek:

Now go get Cryptic to acknowledge that we're having this trouble... No reply to my ticket to them, today either.
    edited September 2012
    yeah, just tried a bunch of stuff , needed to go to ds9 wouldn't even load into it, and then when re conencting it refused to load into the game....great moved to tac character, loaded right into him, (in his safe spot in a low pop nebula) immediatley get hit with server not responding and crash. Done with this ****, spent the money on a lifetime subcription of lazy programmers who hang out more on thinkgeek.com than do their jobs probly...... funny thing is that the game was fine until i got to DS9 and i suppose i got infected theere with a follwing virus of some sort.
    edited September 2012
    did anyone look at the patch notes for tommarow? no mention of this issue even being adressed.... how lovely... ya know some days, your the bug and others your the windshield, today my fellow money spenders to china. I feel we are the bugs on the windshield.
    back to ps3 and the epically other glitchy game i play Battlefield 3........woot.............what happened to good games? anyone remember goldeneye on nintendo 64? now those guys could make a good game......hopefully they are still alive and well. maybe they'll re emerge one day to rid us of all this nonsense
  • stevenonce08stevenonce08 Member Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    Been having this problem for a week now. I HAVE noticed it's espically bad from about 5pm-1am central time, but in the morning I get everything done and it kicks me maybe once. I'm currently using TWC as well....
  • shadowsouls2012shadowsouls2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    it's not just STO. i just downloaded war of immortals and the same thing happened on that game. it's not a patch it's the servers there sing.

I still have my warhammer online account and didn't have any problems playing it, so i now it's not on my end. plus reading all the posts here can tell it's on thier end.

it seems to be a server problem i read someone had problems with champion online to.
This discussion has been closed.