test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Except that - to improve PvP might indeed take programming time and resources and require new engine tech to add features PvPers want. New PvP scenarios, maps and enviroments (something the PvP community here has begged for for 2 years); would also require the content team and artists to be involved. In the end, I don't think it's as seperate a thing as you might believe it to be. Anything added to, or changed/updated in the game takes development resources and time from multiple areas, and everything they schedule has to be worked in with that in mind.

Yes, new maps is indeed new content, but at this point, I'd settle for P2W consoles not owning PvP as it does in PvE. I'd also settle for systems going offline as damage is incurred, not "disable subsystem" through full hull and shields and an assortment of other things. The new maps/content mean nothing if PvP still doesn't work right. The new maps/content will come later as a result of people coming back to PvP and making it gain popularity to warrant new maps/content.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    not to say any one with more then one account can Vote more then ones

Perhaps, I don't know if those people who said they voted 10 or 15 times were joking but I do know someone who's three kids play this game. And two of them voted. Clearly for different things because we were talking over the phone and I could hear them in the background arguing over it.
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »
    Perhaps, I don't know if those people who said they voted 10 or 15 times were joking but I do know someone who's three kids play this game. And two of them voted. Clearly for different things because we were talking over the phone and I could hear them in the background arguing over it.

None of which actually matters, because they told us that the forums do not represent the majority of the playerbase. So regardless of what the results of this poll are, it does not represent the majority of players.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So the votes asking for more KDF content havent been skewed into oblivion yet ?

16% of 520= 83.2 people voted for more KDF content.
    :P
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kilemorgan wrote: »

i can definitely confirm it i did the vote for romulans with my 3 and account and watch the number go up for every one of them as i voted for it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    None of which actually matters, because they told us that the forums do not represent the majority of the playerbase. So regardless of what the results of this poll are, it does not represent the majority of players.

This is why I wish they put polls on the log in screen of the game launcher. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    teleon22 wrote: »
    This is why I wish they put polls on the log in screen of the game launcher. :rolleyes:

but then that would take away from there Zen store adds........... lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    but then that would take away from there Zen store adds........... lol

Actually, I think the reason they do not do launcher/in game polls is because of plausible deniability. While I am sure the devs want the players to be happy in general, there are going to be times where business comes first, and they may have to ignore certain wants, or at least do them in a different way or order than what the players want.

If they only do forum polls, and the results turn out to be contrary to what the devs want/need to do, then they can simply tell us that the forums do not represent the majority of the players. However if they do a launcher/in game poll that every single player will definitely be aware of, then it will be very obvious what the majority want, and also very obvious if the devs do it differently.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted "Exploration"

... Not because I feel some of the others are less important, but the ones that are important have lots of people way more informed and devoted to those topics than I am.

I think an exploration kind of feel is a very strong part of Star Trek and that people should be asking for it. A truly immersive exploration system would not be an easy thing to do, but I think it's worth putting some effort into it. What we have now has too much of a canned feel and has no real, lasting impact on our character development.

Ultimately, the Foundry will have to satisfy a lot of the desire for original storylines. But it's not really enough. The Foundry is still too limited in assets and behaviors in some ways and it still doesn't capture the feel of "go... thataway." You have to choose a Foundry mission. It's not chance.

I'd like to see an exploration system with some more depth to it, where you're never quite sure what you'll find but you know it will be more than a simple throwaway mission. We don't really encounter "New Life and New Civilizations" or go "Where no one has gone before".

There are two kinds of exploration systems that could make sense in a STO context.

#1 First Contact - Could be with a race of aliens with advanced technology, a lost colony, or a pre-warp culture. They could be hostile, peaceful, or neutral, with one of several kinds of societies that would influence the types of encounters you'd have with them. The combinations would still be limited in reality, but with enough variety and new appearances to make them feel less canned. You could re-visit this new system or planet at any time and experience different encounters there. Think of Hathor (Bajor) but with aliens. This would be the hardest to pull off and do well.

One possible solution for that would be to expand the Foundry to allow authors to create an entire system with connected maps and some number of encounters fixed or random. The alien worlds could be created with a less linear progression, allowing players to roam about. Once you visit a new system and discover its' "name", you could just plug that in instead of searching for a new one. Creators would have the ability to change the encounters and republish so that when a player revisits that system later on things would be different.

#2 New Colony - Finding habitable planets and founding new colonies. This could even be something like a "Fleet Holding" where you build up the colony over time and develop the planet's resources. You could have all kinds of scenarios dealing with disasters, invasions, and intrigue. This is probably more doable than the first (but less satisfying).
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • reinawattreinawatt Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If it allowed for two choices, then I would have done more story/Feature episodes missions along with improved exploration.

It's all well and good to give the impatient the chance to boldly go and blow things up, but that isn't what we all want. To boldly explore would be a lovely change of pace.
  • ameriousamerious Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Though I want Romulans (and the removal of lock boxes) I don't see anything that makes STO stand out from anything else out there. If you really want to create something unique the designers need to go further.

My characters are just that, toons that I log into and get bored with after a while. Besides, fighting, running around my ship there simply has to be other things to do with those characters. There has to be something else to expand your experience playing in the Star Trek world - it's a vast universe, let's make it feel that way.
    This space reserved for moments of sanity!
  • sydnytesydnyte Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It seems daft to open another player race (rommies) when the Klingon Empire has been treated like an unloved wicked stepchild.

Flesh us out, then play with your Romulan dolls.

PS we all hate the lock boxes this is not PW after all
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
    edited September 2012
    amerious wrote: »
    ........ - it's a vast universe, let's make it feel that way.

That is really hard to do when the entire game is one instance to another instance. Never does it feel like a vast universe! The best game i've ever played that made me really feel like I was in space was Freelancer! Now that seemed vast! And you could endlessly travel off map into empty space until... i think there was a mod that eventually had you go to the next system after a long, long while lol.
  • srodneysrodney Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Voted for KDF content.

I've been playing since beta... pre-ordered collector's edition before it went live so I'd get to play a liberated borg.

When the game started... I've leveled a dummy fed toon till I could start my main character: a Liberated Borg Klingon.

That said, I have 2 level 50 characters, one KDF (main) and one Fed (which I only play with friends who play on starfleet side.).

The TV series made me appreciate the Klingons for what they truly are. Honorable Warriors (in the japanese feudal samurai sense), no-nonsense, down to earth, hard life people...

I've played only one other Star Trek game in the early 2000's and it's Klingon Academy. I've joined with a fleet on mplayer (yep, that old) and, when KA died, we each went our way. STO is the game that brought some of us back together (i.e. Capulet was an officer of our old fleet) and enjoy the game.

Sadly, the KDF faction was such a lackluster that many of us left the game (can't blame them).

We need a fully funtionnal (from level 1 to 50, full coherent storyline, a genuine klingon experience) faction before starting another.

With that said. Don't panic... "Playable Romulan" doesn't mean "Romulan Faction". It most likely means that you'd unlock a playable Romulan captain on the C-Store... I'm not against that... but my top priority is the full Klingon experience.

Part of improving it would be to make the First City less laggy than Orgrimmar...
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You see the posts like the one above me and you wonder why Romulan fans hate Klingon fans? It's not just that our respective factions hate each other, it's that they're more then willing to deny us an equal playing experience to make their experience better. Any time one group denigrates and opposes another for their own gain the ones being denied are going to strongly dislike those opposing them.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • huyanachuyanac Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    just a silly question, but when will we get those new contents of KDF, and romulans, as they seemed to be the most voted....???
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ...one FREE Level 50 Ship for each faction?
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    huyanac wrote: »
    just a silly question, but when will we get those new contents of KDF, and romulans, as they seemed to be the most voted....???

poll is about 2013....
  • jadensecurajadensecura Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The thing I'd really like to see isn't on here. What I want to see is more rewards for the Fleet Missions. I understand that the main point is to generate Marks, but that prices newer and less played toons out, they have to do their hundred STFs first so they can have the gear to really pull off the mission. My KDF side fleet is really suffering from this, we have 17 members and most of our players are mainly fed side, and so it's very difficult for us to grind out the Fleet Marks. At the very least make them give us dilithium as well, like the STFs give dilithium and items. We'd still be having plenty of trouble gathering the dilithium we need with the changes to Turn Over Contraband and the enormous drain from fleet projects, but at least it would be a little more manageable. Ideally, I'd love to see them give Fleet Marks as they do now, up to 480 dilithium scaled with the Fleet Marks (or just based on whether or not you win/complete), and either a random blue Mk XI or better item or a single EDC. Still plenty of reason to do STFs, you get more items and the chance of a salvage or tech, but you're not forcing people to choose between either any chance at getting decent gear or getting Marks. Don't make it so you sometimes get an EDC and sometimes get an item though, make it so a mission will either always give an EDC or always give an item so people can plan.
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just as a clarification...
    I voted for KDF content, but by that I mean MISSION content.
    I don't want more ships, hairstyles or costumes...
    I've got all the ships already anyway.
    I want more MISSIONS to do.
    the last one we got, Alpha, was AWESOME!!

All the shiney ships and costume styles doesn't releave the boredom of doing the same handful of missions over and over and over and over and...yeah...
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
    edited September 2012
    You know... I hate that they are making this poll because experience tells me that they are simply going to TRIBBLE the entire community over yet once again. Yet, they don?t have to do that. They can kill three birds with one stone.

In my opinion they should work on the KDF and a new Romulan Faction at the same time by adding KDF and Romulan content that is playable by both factions but from opposite or different perspectives of the same storyline and/or in collaboration.

For example, a cool mission might have the Romulans trying to accomplish something in the shadows while the KDF are fighting it out or something with Species 8472. As the Klingons, you can take part in a glorious battle and as the Romulans, you can sneak about in the shadows to help the Klingons who are otherwise un-aware that you are there. In this way, the development team can use the same map and most of the same content.

Just food for thought! This takes care of a new FE, a Romulan Faction and the addition of more KDF story content. BLAM!!! How?s that Cryptic? You know what? I wish I could be a project manager and or own part of this game. Heck, to make money off of this you obviously make players pay to unlock the Romulans? for the Klingons you offer some cool store gimmicks like, heck, a Klingon sing along emote would be very awesome! You know, right before you alpha or right after you alpha strike that enemy vessel you could activate one of those cool songs we have all heard the Klingons sing. Oh and maybe another C-Store Klingon Ship. Meanwhile for the federation you can just release a new ship since you guys are working on them anyway.

/sigh? but it won?t happen! End joyous hope here and now!!!
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    You see the posts like the one above me and you wonder why Romulan fans hate Klingon fans?

its just romulan nature :) plus if it help you klingons sleep at night we still dont like the feds to much either :) again romulan nature :)

For the Star Empire!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    teleon22 wrote: »
    You know... I hate that they are making this poll because experience tells me that they are simply going to TRIBBLE the entire community over yet once again. Yet, they don?t have to do that. They can kill three birds with one stone.

In my opinion they should work on the KDF and a new Romulan Faction at the same time by adding KDF and Romulan content that is playable by both factions but from opposite or different perspectives of the same storyline and/or in collaboration.

For example, a cool mission might have the Romulans trying to accomplish something in the shadows while the KDF are fighting it out or something with Species 8472. As the Klingons, you can take part in a glorious battle and as the Romulans, you can sneak about in the shadows to help the Klingons who are otherwise un-aware that you are there. In this way, the development team can use the same map and most of the same content.

Just food for thought! This takes care of a new FE, a Romulan Faction and the addition of more KDF story content. BLAM!!! How?s that Cryptic? You know what? I wish I could be a project manager and or own part of this game. Heck, to make money off of this you obviously make players pay to unlock the Romulans? for the Klingons you offer some cool store gimmicks like, heck, a Klingon sing along emote would be very awesome! You know, right before you alpha or right after you alpha strike that enemy vessel you could activate one of those cool songs we have all heard the Klingons sing. Oh and maybe another C-Store Klingon Ship. Meanwhile for the federation you can just release a new ship since you guys are working on them anyway.

/sigh? but it won?t happen! End joyous hope here and now!!!

Back of the net.

If content was developed from the outset in this manner, having each faction's unique take on each part of the story, it'd be far more interesting. And the economy on assets like maps is obviously a bonus here. I imagine all it'd take is some good writing and some drag n' drop of assets to make it a more than passable experience that adds an incentive to try the story from another perspective, rather than the current way of just playing the same FE, but as a KDF officer acting like a Starfleet one. Doing it retroactively could obviously be difficult where playable factions are antagonists, but there's still plenty of content that could work in this manner that exists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • triptuckerviitriptuckervii Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Personally? I'd love to see playable Deltans. They're such a major part of the Federation and the Doff system after all, so why not? Basically, they'd have the same Seduction power Orions have, and maybe Empathic for their second required.

We could finally play Ilia!

(...yeah, I admit it, I like the first movie.)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »
    21% of the participants is not equal to 21% of the active players. Just like I wouldn't say that after introducing a Romulan faction there will be 28% playing it permanently.
    HAH! It's up to 29% now!

More Feature Episodes 451 16.80%
    More KDF Content 564 21.01%
    More Fleet Missions / STFs 194 7.23%
    More Foundry Improvements 44 1.64%
    More Rare Ships 68 2.53%
    Playable Romulans 780 29.05%
    Improve PVP 244 9.09%
    Improve Duty Officer System 51 1.90%
    Improve Crafting 72 2.68%
    Improve Exploration 217 8.08%

Honestly I'd be happy to play as Romulans even if there were only three ships/races to choose from.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Q: (akrilon) It?s been mentioned that featured episodes will be returning ?in a big way? in Season 8. Can you give us any preliminary details on how you forsee this being rolled out?

Dstahl: The development team loves making feature episodes, as is evident with Dominion series that finished in March. Up until recently, our development staff has been small enough that we?ve had to constantly juggle what we were working on at any given moment. This meant a toss-up between Feature Episodes, Fleet Actions, STFs and other max-level content, PvP maps, or anything else that involves creating missions and new maps. As we?ve staffed up, our ability to tackle more of types of content simultaneously has increased. Season 7 will be our next big push for max-level content and then we plan to shift the majority of the resources back to other content types. This includes focusing on Feature Episodes for Season 8. While the details are still being ironed out, the early indication is that there will be at least one new series at launch of S8 and maybe even more than that. Once we get closer, I?ll share more details.

This is a great question and answer, however since we have the foundry why not put out the criteria to the community for the foundry people to create a series of episodes, which in effect would take that burden off of the devs in order to create new episodes. It wouldn't be to hard to do give the community the guidelines and criteria of the episodes. I think if iam not mistaken something along these lines is being done currently. The Foundry Challenge; http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=661741 (Great example)
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • srodneysrodney Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    You see the posts like the one above me and you wonder why Romulan fans hate Klingon fans? It's not just that our respective factions hate each other, it's that they're more then willing to deny us an equal playing experience to make their experience better. Any time one group denigrates and opposes another for their own gain the ones being denied are going to strongly dislike those opposing them.

:( sorry you took it the wrong way but I'm really not opposed to having a romulan faction... in fact, I'd play one as well as my klingon (more often than my starfleet engineer).

Back in "Klingon Academy", our fleet organized a PvP event called the "Map game". We've set up a star map divided in sectors (squares) and would send our moves (build ships, make them move to conquer territories, attack enemy ships) and when we'd have a starship fight, we'd play it in KA. Capulet and I were playing romulans.

I do not hate any factions... I keep my hatered for real world issues. I simply want Cryptic to finish the job they started before working on a new faction, that's all.

It's not about denial to others, it's about making things right. Back when the game was only a beta, we (players who wanted to play KDF) were promised more than only a PvP faction. While we've seen many changes, good changes, there's still things to be done.

Let me ask you this, kadieras, how would you feel if the only way to level your romulan was to perform the same quest over and over ? (Kill 30 <faction> starship squadrons)
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In all honesty, Exploration and PvP is something that is going to make this game legendary...

They of course should Revamp Crafting, KDF and Add a FULL Romulan Faction, being to start and choose between 3 full factions will make the appeal of the game skyrocket.

OH!! and since there is currently no actual episodes of Star Trek out, those FEs were so awesome in the fact that they were released each week like an episode, and allowed you to be apart of it.. FEs are going to play a major part as well. Like watching a saturday morning cartoon and just can't WAIT for next week!

I love the fact that the Devs are working toward greatness!

Keep it up guys! You are doing a great job!

PS: This reputation system is something I have been waiting for, nice!
    PPS: Poker and Please add Departments to Fleets XD
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In all honesty, Exploration and PvP is something that is going to make this game legendary...

They of course should Revamp Crafting, KDF and Add a FULL Romulan Faction, being to start and choose between 3 full factions will make the appeal of the game skyrocket.

OH!! and since there is currently no actual episodes of Star Trek out, those FEs were so awesome in the fact that they were released each week like an episode, and allowed you to be apart of it.. FEs are going to play a major part as well. Like watching a saturday morning cartoon and just can't WAIT for next week!

I love the fact that the Devs are working toward greatness!

Keep it up guys! You are doing a great job!

PS: This reputation system is something I have been waiting for, nice!
    PPS: Poker and Please add Departments to Fleets XD

Exploration and beyond in regards to making the universe large, not how small it currently is nor expanding it out will do that. What needs to happen is an overhaul and realistic universe size, perhaps even along the lines of what Eve has in regards to its Universe.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
    edited September 2012
    typhoncal wrote: »
    Exploration and beyond in regards to making the universe large, not how small it currently is nor expanding it out will do that. What needs to happen is an overhaul and realistic universe size, perhaps even along the lines of what Eve has in regards to its Universe.

i would soooooooooooo love a eve like sector space would give up my frist born child to have one but as ive been told by alot of other the CO engine could not handle that it made me cry when i frist herd it for i played eveonline to get the likeness of a space mmo boy was i sad to see what sto sector space looked like compared to eve's
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
This discussion has been closed.