test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    Same thing has happened among Romulan fans. Entire fleets of Romulans existed when the game launched. I think there MIGHT be one left.

Just remember I am not arguing against a RSE faction, I want one in game. What I have said from the start is the Cryptic should finish what they started before they bring in the RSE if for no other reason than to give the RSE the attention it flagrantly needs.

Throughout the history of the franchise the RSE has had less ships, less episodes less development as antagonists and protagonists. While this plays to their favor when it comes to the lateral of developing storyline it does mean less costume options, less ships, less culture shown, in canon, on screen.

The RSE will require full attention to capture their sophistication and mystique in a compelling manner. An incomplete KDF would be a distraction to any such endeavor.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    Relax! We actually have a pretty good idea of what we are already doing and as much fun as this poll is, it is only representative of a small portion of our user base. There are many more players who will never vote on this poll. We take all of that into account as well as the huge amount of data we have on the back end when prioritizing our business.

Not to say that this poll is meaningless, it does help us confirm our internal priority order, but it is not like this poll is dictating the master schedule. It is you voicing your concern over what is need most so we can ensure we're on the same page. So far, the voting is almost entirely what I expected (with the exception of Exploration)[/QUOTE]

This is because our views change over time, but with this being said; It would also be nice to see an improvement in exploration. Although it will never be are high expectations like the exploration in the shows are.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ltsmith wrote: »
    This is because our views change over time, but with this being said; It would also be nice to see an improvement in exploration. Although it will never be are high expectations like the exploration in the shows are.

Though you could get pretty darn close if you really tried. There's a lot of ways we could introduce Non or Minor-Combat missions to STO.
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    These two statements do not belong together. ;)
    The Rommie fans (myself included)

(Hirogen ftw).
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unless plans change, November for both.

We'll make sure you have cups, let nothing derail this! :)
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Relax! We actually have a pretty good idea of what we are already doing and as much fun as this poll is, it is only representative of a small portion of our user base. There are many more players who will never vote on this poll. We take all of that into account as well as the huge amount of data we have on the back end when prioritizing our business.

Not to say that this poll is meaningless, it does help us confirm our internal priority order, but it is not like this poll is dictating the master schedule. It is you voicing your concern over what is need most so we can ensure we're on the same page. So far, the voting is almost entirely what I expected (with the exception of Exploration)

I think Exploration would be second on a lot of peoples lists. It is just low because we see things we want slightly more.

(Like playable Romulans! :cool:)
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • ironeagledefenseironeagledefense Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    just going to do a quick little troll here, if anyone is having disconnect or Server not Responding messages, please post comments over here
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5652951&posted=1#post5652951
    Thanks, and PWE _ Bran, take a look as well let someone who can fix it know!
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i would love to see new rare ships but only if textured correctly and not like the recent c-store ships that have more error's than i have had hot dinners . they seem rushed tbh not meaning to sound like i am not greatful and i love the regent but it needs the textures sorting (sorry not meant to cause offence)
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm a Fed, and I say MORE KDF content! The Romulans can wait! :p

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Clearly The Foundry and PvP need to be reshuffled as side projects or back-burnered. What people want are more factions. Both Klingon and Romulan. And I'm hoping for Dominion & Cardassian after that.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Maybe they add playable Romulans to the KDF faction (and the Federation).

Win-win situation for everyone! :D
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    woerligen wrote: »
    Maybe they add playable Romulans to the KDF faction (and the Federation).

Win-win situation for everyone! :D

no true romulan would be a part of the KDF and if that is the only way to get to play as a romulan dont add them at all then if you ask me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If Romulans are made a faction I can guarantee it will be less loved than KDF and a lot of missions will again be rehashed for yet a third faction. I say more KDF content finish off one faction before making a third one.

AS it stands if Romulans are made I may just stick with KDF and my Fed toon until I decide if making a third character is worth my while
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    If Romulans are made a faction I can guarantee it will be less loved than KDF and a lot of missions will again be rehashed for yet a third faction. I say more KDF content finish off one faction before making a third one.

AS it stands if Romulans are made I may just stick with KDF and my Fed toon until I decide if making a third character is worth my while

In some ways it would be kind of pointless for them to make the romulan and whatever factions join fed or kdf we already have our fake romulan and cardassians and others from aliens LOL.

Plus they might make like 2 missions and slap romulan star empire on it and then do missions you've already done and then they will call it a full faction LOL. After that they will make a bunch of fluff for money they are all about doing as little work as possible and hoping for a big pay day for being lazy.

Atleast now they can quit calling us the 18% we are now the 21%!
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Atleast now they can quit calling us the 18% we are now the 21%!

21% of the participants is not equal to 21% of the active players. Just like I wouldn't say that after introducing a Romulan faction there will be 28% playing it permanently.
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »
    21% of the participants is not equal to 21% of the active players. Just like I wouldn't say that after introducing a Romulan faction there will be 28% playing it permanently.

not to say any one with more then one account can Vote more then ones
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »

It was mostly a joke there are more KDF players now than there ever have been before. Anyone who says otherwise never was around to where it was a surprise if you saw another KDF player in space, sector space, or in first city.

daan2006 wrote: »
    not to say any one with more then one account can Vote more then ones

For this game I doubt anyone would even bother doing it especially since for the trouble you would have to go through to make it look like you are a completely different person since they can see what IP all these votes are coming from its pretty safe to assume they are individual votes.
    edited September 2012
    For this game I doubt anyone would even bother doing it especially since for the trouble you would have to go through to make it look like you are a completely different person since they can see what IP all these votes are coming from its pretty safe to assume they are individual votes.

well with someone with 3 i know first hand it can be dun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    You can repaint the history as you please I was there, in open beta and right after lunch. Heck I've been here ever since.

Back when Perpetual held the license they did polls too. In those polls the KDF won out over the Romulans. That is why Cryptic ran with the KDF.

There were many who were interested in the KDF, till they found out that it would be PvP only play, they left without ever playing. There were others who hung on, and produced the high instance numbers I recall in Open Beta and original launch. They saw how the faction really was back then and they left very shortly thereafter marking a significant mass exodus and the anemic population were are more familiar with.

Thank all that be F2P brought in some new blood who were open minded enough to roll KDF when they got bored playing STFs as Feds and yes we have had a good swell to the population but still I have yet to see anywhere near the instance numbers for Qo'noS like there were right around initial launch.

Edited to add: Then again they did increase the population per instance since then but I have a hard time imagining that the new per instance population being so high that eleven instances today are more than 50+ just around launch.

Entire fleets left for cripes sake.

I've been playing this game since beta days and there as never been more KDF till now, unless you have some data showing otherwise. As for the poll for Perpetual Entertainment...the poll was to play as Klingons in Star Fleet as part of the federation, and there would have been no KDF faction at all, since they would have still been allies under PE.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online_%28Perpetual_Entertainment%29
    GwaoHAD.png
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Here is what I dont get: in the past they have told us that the forums absolutely do not represent the in game playerbase. So how do the results of a forum poll mean anything? Either we represent the playerbase or we dont. Either this poll means something or it doesnt. You cant have it both ways.
    edited September 2012
    Here is what I dont get: in the past they have told us that the forums absolutely do not represent the in game playerbase. So how do the results of a forum poll mean anything? Either we represent the playerbase or we dont. Either this poll means something or it doesnt. You cant have it both ways.

ive asked that same thing to think it was on page 37 i think
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • docsnoopydocsnoopy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Looking at the numbers I read that (at this moment) more than 49% of the voters want something other than the Federation faction as focus of the next development. Interesting.
    What do the Ferengi say about possibilites and profit ?

Can not understand why there is so much hate between KDF and Romulans. I have been playing both factions from beta and played KDF toons to max level just after available. Like many others I have done "the grind". I have many KDF toons (even more than Federation to be honest) and it would be nice to get more missions.
    But to be honest I would love to see more mission for all existing (and upcoming) factions.

Maybe some faction specific as highlights - but please not just for one side. This will only extend the current situation of resentment. The leveling is fast enough to hit VA before you finish the current mission list. I would prefer more repeatable end-game content before we get a KDF lev5 mission that is done in 10 minutes.

IMHO a perfect solution would be having one big mission list with factions specific options in each mission to choose for (diplomatic for Federation, fight for KDF, espionage for RSE). Or a Foundry-2-Offical-Mission program run by devs to migrate hundreds foundry mission to the official mission list and give it the "Official-Content" label. Just dreaming ...

I support the idea of getting polls like this into the launcher, the start screen after login or somewhere between. Just make it visible for all people starting & playing STO.
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I've been playing this game since beta days and there as never been more KDF till now, unless you have some data showing otherwise. As for the poll for Perpetual Entertainment...the poll was to play as Klingons in Star Fleet as part of the federation, and there would have been no KDF faction at all, since they would have still been allies under PE.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Online_%28Perpetual_Entertainment%29

Cannot figure out what Klingon players you did play with. That is simply not how I recall it. As for your demand I produce numbers, you should ask Stahl. He's the one with the metrics. All I have are my memories and they differ from yours.

So you want a RSE now no matter the cost. Few costume options, few race options, three ships, one maybe two missions, and about fifteen to twenty levels of play if the Devs use the featured episodes that were made for Feds and co-opted for KDF play.

And you'll be willing to wait for your faction of choice to get fleshed out. Given Crytic's track record with the KDF and adding two no where near finished meals to their plate by way of popular player demand, you'll be waiting five or more years. Plus the new players that come behind you interested in RSE play will not be so gregarious about the situation. The feedback loop will just cycle over again with the only difference being two different squeaky wheels in place of one.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    All I know is that the fleetbase leveling is not sustaining my interests. If it was not for finding a deeply passionate fleet, I would have taken a very long hiatus. Regardless about how many playable items, ships, and species they add, the endgame lacks serious context and purpose.

"Star Trek: Online's" endgame needs:
    (1) Storyline context.
    (2) Single-player featured episodes.
    (3) Fleetbase featured episodes
    (4) More character leveling.
    (5) More character ranks.
    (6) Some kind of overall revelation that coexists with a storyline.

"Star Trek: Online" needs the following overall:
    (1) Ability to exchange fleet marks for fleet credits as a single player.
    (2) Ability to buy items with fleet credits as a single player.
    (3) Ability to play more fleet marks missions as a single player.
    (4) Ability to buy stf elite gear with the encrypted data chips.
    (5) Ability to build a fleet base at a steady pace with only five players.
    (6) More stfs to kill the sense of repetition.
    (7) More ground fleet marks missions.
    (8) Reduced resource requirements for fleetbase building and stf gear gathering.
    (9) 'Slightly' toned down difficulty setting for elite stfs. Cure bosses specifically.
    (10) Bug fixes for stfs, fleet marks missions, Nukera, and Defera.
    (11) At least five account wide bank slots for silver players.
    (12) Fleshed out Klingon faction.
    (13) New playable species.
    (14) Ability to arm at least one of your bridge officers with two weapons.
    (15) Ability to sort duty officers, found in the exchange, according to their skills.
    (16) Bajoran style revamp of Risa, Vulcan, Andoria, and possibly a Romulan home world.
    (17) More social zones with daily missions.
    (18) Ability to give out minor rewards in foundry missions.

Out of everything everyone has listed, the bugs in this game need to be fixed.
  • vonklousvonklous Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Also I would like to see an indicator for carriers so that you can see how many fighters you have out, so you won't have to guess when to respawn them. it could be just a small HUD box that shows your hangers like the weapons HUD with number indicators over them to show remaining active Fighters over each bay so you will also know which bay to spawn from.
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    Cannot figure out what Klingon players you did play with. That is simply not how I recall it. As for your demand I produce numbers, you should ask Stahl. He's the one with the metrics. All I have are my memories and they differ from yours.

So you want a RSE now no matter the cost. Few costume options, few race options, three ships, one maybe two missions, and about fifteen to twenty levels of play if the Devs use the featured episodes that were made for Feds and co-opted for KDF play.

And you'll be willing to wait for your faction of choice to get fleshed out. Given Crytic's track record with the KDF and adding two no where near finished meals to their plate by way of popular player demand, you'll be waiting five or more years. Plus the new players that come behind you interested in RSE play will not be so gregarious about the situation. The feedback loop will just cycle over again with the only difference being two different squeaky wheels in place of one.

to me the romulan are one race and thats romulans and yes i know how sto has did the romulan story line and not going to lie thinks its all TRIBBLE all cryptic did with the KDF is make them in a to gangster federation with all them races they addid to them and i dont want to see romulans dun the same way but the alll ready have aka the horgan for the RSE but to me again there was a reason klingons and romulans where not like a federation both dont trust outsiders
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    In this brand-new edition of Ask Cryptic, Executive Producer Dan Stahl delivers answers to player submitted questions.

Link to the Ask Cryptic.

---

The poll from the last question of the Ask Cryptic can be found above.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I voted to improve PvP since it has been dismissed and neglected since the game inception.

Given the low numbers of PvPers due to the dismissal and neglect of our desires and wants over the years, this poll is weighted and biased given the low numbers of PvPers that can actually vote for PvP. If you make a population as a minority, it will never get due attention that it deserves when put to a public poll.

Instead, there should be two polls and two projects that Cryptic devs should be working on concurrently.

One poll should be for items that have never been neglected (such as fed ships, fed missions etc), and the other should be the opposite (like PvP, KDF content at level 1)...

Then and only then will you have a true representation of what needs to be worked on by the segregated community that has been created by Cryptic's choices and decisions.

If, however, this is a "ranking system" that will allow Cryptic to focus a percentage of their resources to that project concurrently, then at least the current number of votes gets PvP up there among the top four. However, the poll is still weighted and biased because the majority will win every time.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    While I very much want improved PVP, I want the Romulan Faction playable more!

Is this poll on facebook as well? It should be!
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    teleon22 wrote: »
    While I very much want improved PVP, I want the Romulan Faction playable more!

Exactly my point... you wouldn't put these two choices in one poll. Playable Romulans is, basically, new content, whereas fixing PvP is due to a lack of sufficient game mechanics and physics, but it isn't content. A fix to the gaming engine isn't content that you can directly see like the romulans.... hence, the two polls.

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tfomega wrote: »
    Exactly my point... you wouldn't put these two choices in one poll. Playable Romulans is, basically, new content, whereas fixing PvP is due to a lack of sufficient game mechanics and physics, but it isn't content. A fix to the gaming engine isn't content that you can see like the romulans.... hence, the two polls.

Except that - to improve PvP might indeed take programming time and resources and require new engine tech to add features PvPers want. New PvP scenarios, maps and enviroments (something the PvP community here has begged for for 2 years); would also require the content team and artists to be involved. In the end, I don't think it's as seperate a thing as you might believe it to be. Anything added to, or changed/updated in the game takes development resources and time from multiple areas, and everything they schedule has to be worked in with that in mind.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
This discussion has been closed.