test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    this poll sould pop up in the game or the game launcher not alot of ppl go to the web site even for a Ask Cryptic or even to the forums so what ever results turn out to be most likely will not be a majority of the player base most likely a fraction this is also why the polls did not go over to well the last time they did them so why they stop them

ps you got more then one account you can Vote more then ones :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If they add Hirogen anyone playing or flying their ships will persona non grata to me in the Empire.

IF they need to add more races, again I don't think this is necessary they could add:

Yridians
    Mintakans
    Vulcans
    Takarans
    Talarans
    Acamarians
    Angosians
    Ktarians

Hell those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head from Birth of the Federation. However, the RSE is not the Federation, they don't need 800 race choices.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I'd like to take a moment to unintentionally stir up the hardcore Romulan fanbase. Bear with me, I promise I'm not trolling.

Let me tell you exactly why they should be a part of a playable Romulan faction, and why, whether you like it or not, it will be better for a playable Romulan faction in the long run to have them.

So let's start with the obvious; the Romulans are a shattered people. They have been utterly broken at the basest of levels, their home planet taken from them not by an act of nature, which would be devastating but ultimately no one's fault, but by intentional sabotage. Billions, possibly trillions died. To gain their glory back, even in the slightest, they need help.

Conveniently, the Hirogen bumble into the beta quadrant far enough to make contact. A race of capable warriors with a uniquely devious way of dealing with everyone that isn't them. Traps and ruses are par for the course, and while not the kind of traps and deceptions a Romulan might respect, it plays very very well into the kinds of games a Romulan plays. And with their own slave race, the Remans, in open revolt, they need a new, disposable source of muscle. The Hirogen fit this bill nicely.

So that covers the plot reasons you might expect. Let's consider gameplay.

A full faction with three races (Romulan, Reman, Alien) would be dull. Even something KDF-sized would be expected to have a little more variety than that. Hirogen makes sense in the context of the game's timeline, and at the same time serves to give Voyager fans access to one of the better things to come from that show, as well as being the only Delta Quadrant race to my memory at the moment to be playable in the game ever. And hey, better Hirogen first than Talaxian, amirite?

This also gives Cryptic the ability to spice up the RSE's ship lineup from the get-go. They only necessarily have to produce two lines of Romulan ships, and can fill the third archetype with Hirogen vessels. Or at the very least, they can leverage the Hirogen as a line of ships to sell in the CStore for the Romulan leveling experience ala the other KDF races.

Then we have the thought that, aside from using some one-shot race or making something else up ala Deferi, there really isn't anything else they could pad the RSE ranks with.

And finally, it's not any sillier to have the Hirogen join the RSE than it was to lump the KDF races we see together.

In conclusion, regardless of how you feel about the Hirogen and their potential to have a place in the RSE, it still works from both a story and gameplay point of view. If you hate it that badly, use it as RP fuel in-game. Nothing like racism to make an interesting character, after all.

See? Told you it wasn't a troll post.

I can see the Hirogen joining the RSE for the reasons you mentioned. There does need to be more than just Romulans, Remans, "aliens" and liberated Borg Romulans. I'm sure they can reasonably justify whatever they come up with.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hmm romulans are winning by 100 votes :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Romulans would make a great faction. Yes Romulus and Remus were destroyed but there are many other planets and possibly hunderts of billions of Romulans left. Furthermore we know that the Romulan star empire consists of many different races of which only few are known though:

Romulans
    Remans
    (Hirogen)
    Garidians
    possibly Chodak (now THAT would be an interesting race! :D )
    Breen (by announcing a military alliance between the Romulans and the Breen)

There are plenty of races and many already existing ships (Romulan BoP, D7, D'eridex, Mogai, Scimitar, Scorpion fighter, the Hirogen and Breen ships) which makes a Romulan faction rather easy to implement.

I don't care that you would possibly start by lvl 40 and only have like 10 missions to do. I want to play the Romulans and fly their ships. And why should my request (and the request of the ~28% participating in this poll) be less justified and valid than the request for more Klingon content ?
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »
    The Romulans would make a great faction. Yes Romulus and Remus were destroyed but there are many other planets and possibly hunderts of billions of Romulans left. Furthermore we know that the Romulan star empire consists of many different races of which only few are known though:

Romulans
    Remans
    (Hirogen)
    Garidians
    possibly Chodak (now THAT would be an interesting race! :D )
    Breen (by announcing a military alliance between the Romulans and the Breen)

There are plenty of races and many already existing ships (Romulan BoP, D7, D'eridex, Mogai, Scimitar, Scorpion fighter, the Hirogen and Breen ships) which makes a Romulan faction rather easy to implement.

I don't care that you would possibly start by lvl 40 and only have like 10 missions to do. I want to play the Romulans and fly their ships. And why should my request (and the request of the ~28% participating in this poll) be less justified and valid than the request for more Klingon content ?

not sure that would work they hate eachother. in ds9 you see this a pop up from time to time. dominion prision camp a romulan female says something like '' my people have a saying, never turn your back on a breen ''
    also the female founder promised the breen romulus .... so i'd avoid them lol they would make a great enemy for story/eps/ missions for the romulans.

seen some say cardassians should join. could be very interesting that idea. it would have to be very well done if it happened. i just think that if factions was being expanded/added you have to think RSE, cardassians and the dominion. as possible stand alone groups.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    szim wrote: »
    And why should my request (and the request of the ~28% participating in this poll) be less justified and valid than the request for more Klingon content ?

Because the Klingon were promised full faction status right up till a few weeks to a month before the game launched. Many people bought the game and subscriptions to play the Klingons and yet didn't get what they paid for. We have put money into out Klingon characters and yet have been promised content and yet never got what was promised to us.

Us KDF players aren't saying there shouldn't be a Romulan faction, just that it should come after Cryptic brings the KDF up to a similar level as the Federation with both factions given equal treatment. A Romulan faction now would derail Federation and KDF development to a point it would hurt the game for just a little amount of content and a less than half done faction.

Cryptic is a business and doing a Romulan faction now while the KDF is so incomplete and the Federation players wanting more content would put Cryptic back to the days of the content drought and no dount they would loose a lot of players especially those who have been here to start with hoping for KDF development.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    not sure that would work they hate eachother. in ds9 you see this a pop up from time to time. dominion prision camp a romulan female says something like '' my people have a saying, never turn your back on a breen ''
    also the female founder promised the breen romulus .... so i'd avoid them lol they would make a great enemy for story/eps/ missions for the romulans.

seen some say cardassians should join. could be very interesting that idea. it would have to be very well done if it happened. i just think that if factions was being expanded/added you have to think RSE, cardassians and the dominion. as possible stand alone groups.

personally speaking , the ability to play a breen would MAKE me play the rommie faction :cool:

breen are cool

( lol punny )
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
    edited September 2012
    rrincy wrote: »
    personally speaking , the ability to play a breen would MAKE me play the rommie faction :cool:

breen are cool

( lol punny )

aren't they still allied with the dominion....?
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited September 2012
    In-game they currently arent allied with anyone , and are busy taking pot-shots at the deferi
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Because the Klingon were promised full faction status right up till a few weeks to a month before the game launched. Many people bought the game and subscriptions to play the Klingons and yet didn't get what they paid for. We have put money into out Klingon characters and yet have been promised content and yet never got what was promised to us.

Us KDF players aren't saying there shouldn't be a Romulan faction, just that it should come after Cryptic brings the KDF up to a similar level as the Federation with both factions given equal treatment. A Romulan faction now would derail Federation and KDF development to a point it would hurt the game for just a little amount of content and a less than half done faction.

Cryptic is a business and doing a Romulan faction now while the KDF is so incomplete and the Federation players wanting more content would put Cryptic back to the days of the content drought and no dount they would loose a lot of players especially those who have been here to start with hoping for KDF development.

must not be putting much money in the KDF, being Cryptic says KDF stuff don't sell as much as FED stuff

Since the start of the game the KDF have gotten some stuff, it has come a long way since the start of STO if i got a Romulan faction, that is just like the KDF is right now, with the FE i would be a happy camper.

The KDF is going to get content no matter what, it's only a matter of time, but it WILL happen. The Romulan Faction we have no clue if they are going to do it, since the start of the game all they say is yeah we might, sure down the road we might, if we do a faction it will be Romulan Blah Blah Blah. If they put the faction in then i would know cryptic is serious about this game growing beyond what it was when it started. I rather have them put the Romulan's before they "finish" the KDF, then i know they mean business. From my point of view as of right now all i know are, maybe's what if, and we might do it this way, nothing showing me they are going to do it, they are just trying to keep me and some others like me hoping so we don't leave.

Don't get me wrong i want KDF content, but i want Romulans a lot more. (unless it's fingerless gloves, that i want more than anything)
    GwaoHAD.png
  • quiscustodietquiscustodiet Member Posts: 350
    edited September 2012
    Am disappoint in the community.

Look, I, too, would like to have a Romulan faction or a complete KDF faction, but what's the point if there's nothing to do at lv50?
    What the game needs is more STFs.

And FEs? FEs take a lot of dev time and are completed in an hour at most by the players. You'll never get enough FEs to satiate yourselves.

Oh, and rtk: "ceci n'est pas une Romulienne". Yes, species names are translated as well.
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Am disappoint in the community.

Look, I, too, would like to have a Romulan faction or a complete KDF faction, but what's the point if there's nothing to do at lv50?
    What the game needs is more STFs.

And FEs? FEs take a lot of dev time and are completed in an hour at most by the players. You'll never get enough FEs to satiate yourselves.

Oh, and rtk: "ceci n'est pas une Romulienne". Yes, species names are translated as well.

Totally agree, I think that this game needs FAR more STF's. Take WoW for example, that game has no less then 40 Instances which are the same as STF's. It makes grouping fun, also equipment is more unique.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Cryptic is a business and doing a Romulan faction now while the KDF is so incomplete and the Federation players wanting more content would put Cryptic back to the days of the content drought and no doubt they would loose a lot of players especially those who have been here to start with hoping for KDF development.
    The KDF is probably NEVER going to have as many story missions as the Federation. Feds have so many story missions that you could play from L1 to L50 and still not finish them all.

And as this poll shows, there's more people who want playable Romulans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warbird001warbird001 Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunatly, this game is wrong in design. It should have been more developed and more variety added to factions, like this.

Khitomer Accord
    - Federation
    - Klingon
    - Ferengi
    - Cardassian

VS

Typhon Pact
    - Romulan
    - Gorn
    - Breen
    - Tzenkethi
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    whats interesting is there are over 18,000 views but only about 2000 votes...;.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    must not be putting much money in the KDF, being Cryptic says KDF stuff don't sell as much as FED stuff

Since the start of the game the KDF have gotten some stuff, it has come a long way since the start of STO if i got a Romulan faction, that is just like the KDF is right now, with the FE i would be a happy camper.

The KDF is going to get content no matter what, it's only a matter of time, but it WILL happen. The Romulan Faction we have no clue if they are going to do it, since the start of the game all they say is yeah we might, sure down the road we might, if we do a faction it will be Romulan Blah Blah Blah. If they put the faction in then i would know cryptic is serious about this game growing beyond what it was when it started. I rather have them put the Romulan's before they "finish" the KDF, then i know they mean business. From my point of view as of right now all i know are, maybe's what if, and we might do it this way, nothing showing me they are going to do it, they are just trying to keep me and some others like me hoping so we don't leave.

Don't get me wrong i want KDF content, but i want Romulans a lot more. (unless it's fingerless gloves, that i want more than anything)

You would be happy to get a 26-50 faction, I can agree with that.

Seeing how People responded to a 26-50 KDF with a mass walk out right after the original launch, constant demands for more content only to get faction stagnation both in terms of growth and development.

That, my friend, is the truth of what your eagerness has asked for.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The KDF is probably NEVER going to have as many story missions as the Federation. Feds have so many story missions that you could play from L1 to L50 and still not finish them all.

And as this poll shows, there's more people who want playable Romulans.

I just hope if they do romulans that they at the least offer some kind of thing either costing dilithium or zen/c points that allows our fake romulan aliens to be converted into real romulans (maybe something for a limited time that they like to do).

Yeah compared to the whole of content over all the TV series + movies there is more strictly federation story than klingon and romulan put together so that is a very valid point. A possibility for Cryptic to match the KDF to the Fed side as far population is an act of force but its probally the only way of having certain races having to join the KDF. Plus you gotta understand too what federation officer from ensigm to admiral to the president of the federation is going to let a would be or could be tal shiar agent access to possible top secret federation information. Plus the romulans know all about klingon technology from their past alliances and just could be a repeat of history just with a *tighter* leash this time.

The idea of having certain races that have to join the KDF as part of their mini faction which is odds are what will happen could be the filler for the 20 levels I just hope if it is done like that if you've done the leveling of toons so many times that once you hit level 20 with one of those races it allows you to go to 50 once you hit 20. So you can play it as you've just joined the empire at that point or just skip it and start blasting stuff with your romulan or what not ships at level 50.
  • whitecloud197whitecloud197 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans for Sure!

Ive been playing FED for the entirety of the STO Game and Im loving it so far, I dont play the Klingons Much, But Id LOVE the option to switch between Klingons, Romulans or FEDS.

itll keep me from getting bored for sure!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    You would be happy to get a 26-50 faction, I can agree with that.

Seeing how People responded to a 26-50 KDF with a mass walk out right after the original launch, constant demands for more content only to get faction stagnation both in terms of growth and development.

That, my friend, is the truth of what your eagerness has asked for.
    Really? I see more people playing KDF than ever before, so much for a "mass walk out".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Really? I see more people playing KDF than ever before, so much for a "mass walk out".

Were you not there for the original beta?

I was.

I saw it.

Sad days those were.

There were more instances of Qo'noS open back then, there were more people running amok. There were more Klingons then than there are in game right now.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    Were you not there for the original beta?

I was.

I saw it.

Sad days those were.

There were more instances of Qo'noS open back then, there were more people running amok. There were more Klingons then than there are in game right now.

lol so your telling every one in closed beta there was more klingons than there was after launch ? lol don't think i'd agree.... even if you said open beta i still wouldn't agree....

the only thing you might have to kling-on to is after luanch you had to unlock klingon and it didn't take long to do that. so there was a klingon shortage for a day or 2, maybe even hours depending on how much time you had to play.

there was alot of unhappy klingons.... that i'd agree with.
  • iceman0423iceman0423 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My main question, as many were answered via "Ask Cryptic" is whether or not we're going to see the Lock Box ships (like the D'Kora or the Orb Weaver) be available in any other way? For example, will we be able to purchase them from the Z-store or something like that? I'm a lifetime subscriber and love the game, but I don't have the money to constantly buy zen to purchase keys just to get 4 lobi crystals and another mirror universe ship or duty officer cadre. I also don't have a plethora of energy credits to purchase from the exchange as I spend it all trying to help my fleet out to get duty officers (since there seems to be a million of them that are bind on pick-up). If you don't want to make those ships exactly available, you could add or subtract something from them when you make them available in the Z-store. It would just be nice as an avid player that doesn't have the money to constantly through at Perfect World/Cryptic to have access to these ships (or some version of them).

-Sincerely
    Iceman
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You guys really want a half-finished and quickly abandoned Romulan faction added to the game?

Cryptic can deliver that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good luck with a another half baked faction especially since they have the cloak issue and already have one faction that has no content is a bad idea.
    Think it's time to start the countdown for the death of STO
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • portgazdportgazd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Also gota add that if a romulan faction is going to be added they have to redo the featured episodes just for the roumlan faction e.g. the roumlans weren't present at ds9 during the 2800 series, and they were the main enemies of obisek's faction. It'll be a lot more work for them to do just to keep the featured series for the romulans
    Vice-Chancellor of Federation Fleet Directive 010

DISENCHANTED
  • grandemperor18grandemperor18 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    you Guys Really Want A Half-finished And Quickly Abandoned Romulan Faction Added To The Game?

Cryptic Can Deliver That.

Yes!

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    Good luck with a another half baked faction especially since they have the cloak issue and already have one faction that has no content is a bad idea.
    Think it's time to start the countdown for the death of STO

Yeah the ironic thing I've seen it mentioned so many times in the past year since its gone F2P that they mention that they have staffed up. Yet when the failure to deliver question pops up to them they say oh we made no promises and then they deny ever saying they staffed up and use words like they replaced a few people who left but are still just a small team. Is why I have a hard time believing anything they actually say in these ask cryptic's or state of the game they do not have any accountability.
  • pwespockpwespock Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can somebody explain to me, why so many people vote for a new Faction, while we still have nearly no content for the two existing factions?

If the team decides to implement a new faction, it would have to invest a huge ammount of resources for this project, which means, that this would extremely slow the other projects, which should be implementing some kind of Endgame content, especially team content.
    This game exists for 2,5 years now and we still have only 3 stf's that grant "useful" rewards and terradome. Besides these 4 stf's, we only have some fleet actions, that include only extremely primitive "kill all" orders.
    The only challenging (i didn't say interesting) team content, we already have, is the no win scenario. But we have nothing, that forces a team to use specific ship abilities to conter boss attacks or other barriers, that could motivate players to use their brains.

In the films and series Star Trek was much more about thinking, solvinf problems, finding sollutions and so on. Yet, in STO we still have "kill everything, that's targetable" missions in nearly every form, you can imagine. I can't understand, why this doesn't get boring to so many people so that they wish another faction instead of content.

Can someone please explain that to me?
  • civilphilcivilphil Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    Hmm... didn't Hugh make his own 'colony' of liberated Borg drones, seen in VOY? :)

Perhaps they can come to the Alpha quadrant, somehow, and make a new home in the galaxy. Every race leaves them alone, because they don't want to cause undue trouble like their former Collective, but they can help also lash out against the Borg.

And considering the oft-mentioned fact that the galaxy needs to be united against the Borg, and push them back, they'd be a great help in that fight.

While your citation is incorrect (the colony of liberated Borg in VOY had nothing to do with Hugh, see the Memory Alpha page for the episode "Unity"), renegade liberated Borg is the ONLY way I can see a Borg faction working.

I can literally see zero way for one to work in the actual Collective without completely changing how the Collective functions.

Please Devs, Mr Stahl, DO NOT make the Borg Collective a playable faction. I don't care if those plans are for this year or 2-3 years from now. Erase it off the white board NOW. :mad:

Please.:(

If you must . . . at least make them liberated renegades completely separate from the Collective. I don't like that either, but I could stomach it as a compromise.

If you find yourself participating in a discussion, and you know nothing can ever persuade you to alter your view, please recognize that you are not being objective about the subject at hand and further discussion with you is futile.

=/\= Fleet Admiral Shin
    Subscriber since 1-28-2010
    d1xder6-d8102b36-c444-41a4-915a-3fa1a47b1a06.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2U5YjM0YjRmLWU1N2EtNDRlMi05YWNhLWU2OWI4MWUzODcwYlwvZDF4ZGVyNi1kODEwMmIzNi1jNDQ0LTQxYTQtOTE1YS0zZmExYTQ3YjFhMDYuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.KaJ-YJnj-4adaDVwUlEGPSXWvcMN1Znn3NnGZm2wXFg
This discussion has been closed.