test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to see what the devs are working on? Take a look!

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited September 2012
    Hasn't hardly been any dev traffic at all. Does anyone work at Cryptic anymore besides tacofangs? Have they all been hospitalized except for BranFlakes after catching something at STLV?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Hasn't hardly been any dev traffic at all. Does anyone work at Cryptic anymore besides tacofangs? Have they all been hospitalized except for BranFlakes after catching something at STLV?

We've hardly gotten any Dev traffic since Borticuses thing... other than Tumerboy, Brandon, the occasional JamJamz, Heretic, and Gozer, barring the departure of the latter two of course.

I'm know that bad things happen, but a little more dev interaction couldn't hurt. :(
  • Options
    k3ll3ndrak391k3ll3ndrak391 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been wondering, will STO ever give players the ability to fly the ship, from the inside of the ship, instead of outside of the ship? It would give a chance for people to do more with the inside, instead of just using it as a hang out. For some people, being able to command from the inside would be a great idea, though there are those who wouldn't like it, but it would help make the feel of a more realistic gameplay, or more of a show look to it.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been wondering, will STO ever give players the ability to fly the ship, from the inside of the ship, instead of outside of the ship? It would give a chance for people to do more with the inside, instead of just using it as a hang out. For some people, being able to command from the inside would be a great idea, though there are those who wouldn't like it, but it would help make the feel of a more realistic gameplay, or more of a show look to it.

The short answer is no. This has been asked for numerous times. The game engine simply will not support this.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Cryptic says no to space travel/combat from the interior. Repeatedly.

Aside from some pretty serious technical limitations, they've also made it clear that the third-party exterior view is how they choose to present space combat and they don't really want to change that.

Never say never, but in this case my opinion is that it's very doubtful.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We've hardly gotten any Dev traffic since Borticuses thing... other than Tumerboy, Brandon, the occasional JamJamz, Heretic, and Gozer, barring the departure of the latter two of course.

I'm know that bad things happen, but a little more dev interaction couldn't hurt. :(

My guess is some of them are recovering from PAX/Labor Day and that they're hard at work on something. They do seem a little quiet, and that usually means something's in the works.

Heretic and Gozer, of course, are no longer Devs so even if they showed up here they wouldn't be able to tell us anything useful.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    My guess is some of them are recovering from PAX/Labor Day and that they're hard at work on something. They do seem a little quiet, and that usually means something's in the works.

But what could it be?!?!? Mine lawds, the suspense!!!
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Heretic and Gozer, of course, are no longer Devs so even if they showed up here they wouldn't be able to tell us anything useful.

Isn't that what I said? I did say very thing didn't I? :confused:
  • Options
    aleciabethaleciabeth Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    scififan78 wrote: »
    The short answer is no. This has been asked for numerous times. The game engine simply will not support this.

The dumbest answer I've read. Activision has it years ago showed that it is possible. "Bridge Commander" The Dev's need to develop this system. You do not want me to say, they can not develop this, or? Like some other things as well.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aleciabeth wrote: »
    The dumbest answer I've read. Activision has it years ago showed that it is possible. "Bridge Commander" The Dev's need to develop this system. You do not want me to say, they can not develop this, or? Like some other things as well.

They would also have to rework the entire game engine, build it from scratch. Next time, read the post before you reply to it.

Also, bluegeek has stated that Cryptic also CHOSE to display you like this, even if the engine DIDN'T impose such limitations.

That being said, there IS a way to fly through sector space from your bridge without reworking the engine... sort of. Assuming the dev team implements the idea, that is.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I know all about Bridge Commander. It is a different game by a different developer. It is a completely different game engine. The developers have said that the Cryptic Engine does not support that feature. You can not expect one game to have a certain feature just because another does, especially games by different developers. The only thing Star Trek Online and Bridge Commander have in common is that they are both games based on Star Trek.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know all about Bridge Commander. It is a different game by a different developer. It is a completely different game engine. The developers have said that the Cryptic Engine does not support that feature. You can not expect one game to have a certain feature just because another does, especially games by different developers. The only thing Star Trek Online and Bridge Commander have in common is that they are both games based on Star Trek.

Basically what I said.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Here's the long answer for you that one of the devs provided.

No, the game's engine is only capable of displaying a character's avatar one time on screen per zone that you are in. You can only have one avatar in the world at a time. To be both inside the ship as your avatar, performing ship combat (Which ships are avatars) is not possible with the engine. They developed ships and the humanoid form as the avatars for this game, they can be swapped between space and ground. You cannot interchange them because A) It would simply look horrible. The ships are smaller than your actual character when you view their real sizes side by side. And B) The ground avatar already has an entire system for combat setup, you cannot just swap this out for all of your space combat abilities. It would look disastrous.

I for one however would love to see phasers firing from my nose and photons flying from my TRIBBLE, I would find that hilarious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Basically what I said.

I am replying from an iPhone and got interrupted when you posted. Perhaps reading the same basic thing twice will help with comprehension.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    rework the entire game engine

That being said, there IS a way to fly through sector space from your bridge without reworking the engine... sort of. Assuming the dev team implements the idea, that is.

Only space sector? that's not enough.

"rework the entire game engine" Yes, STO-2 more tactic and realistic in the game! :D I'm concerned they should do it, but without the Champions engine. I have the feeling that just a little handicapped. The focus is only on it, no time to look to the sides.

The galaxy map to merge in a single map seems to be a problem. Where is the problem? The missions that need to be remade? And? Does it yet! For that is STO free2pay.
    But nope, it is rather looking for a solution that is simple. :rolleyes:

STO could have damn lot of depth as EVE Online, or more. You just have to make something of it. STO has good approaches, but these are upgradable.
  • Options
    typhoncaltyphoncal Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I have to agree on your position of the BC view, however this none-sense that cryptic isnt able to do it, or that it would take overhauling the engine is none-sense. It is a matter of not having the experienced programer to be able to do it. Those within the community that is BC to other groups that are still around, would find a way to getting around this limitation. I know, as i was a modder during the days of SFCIII and i know many from the BC community that know how to program around problems. Unfortunately cryptic doesn't have the programming necessary to accomplish this task that would be very interesting and a different perspective to the community.

Remember an engine is only limited by the experience of the programmers behind its creation and evolution.
    Commander Shran - You tell Archer, that is three the pink skin owes me!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Only space sector? that's not enough.

STO could have damn lot of depth as EVE Online, or more. You just have to make something of it. STO has good approaches, but these are upgradable.

Right on the mark, it is a matter of having experienced and capable programmers in order to create and remove these barriers that exist in STO. Alot of problems that lye with STO is along the lines of how small the universe is, not enough exploration to it shouldn't take you less than 5min to getting across anyone one sector or from map to map edge. It should take someone weeks if not months to getting to another sector, STO in comparison to Eve universe is 1/3 the size of one planetary system within Eve and that is unacceptable.

However, with Cryptic having a new team and more money to expand on STO and the other titles, it will take some time but these upgrades, which will take time and we are along for the ride to express our desires and try and influence that change and direction.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    typhoncal wrote: »
    I have to agree on your position of the BC view, however this none-sense that cryptic isnt able to do it, or that it would take overhauling the engine is none-sense. It is a matter of not having the experienced programer to be able to do it. Those within the community that is BC to other groups that are still around, would find a way to getting around this limitation. I know, as i was a modder during the days of SFCIII and i know many from the BC community that know how to program around problems. Unfortunately cryptic doesn't have the programming necessary to accomplish this task that would be very interesting and a different perspective to the community.

Remember an engine is only limited by the experience of the programmers behind its creation and evolution.

It would be as much work as building a new game. Which means for a couple of years, we'd have no updates to anything at all. At the end of which, we'd have a less-exciting mode of game play that wouldn't bring back most of the people who'd leave the game during those years.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Right on the mark, it is a matter of having experienced and capable programmers in order to create and remove these barriers that exist in STO. Alot of problems that lye with STO is along the lines of how small the universe is, not enough exploration to it shouldn't take you less than 5min to getting across anyone one sector or from map to map edge. It should take someone weeks if not months to getting to another sector, STO in comparison to Eve universe is 1/3 the size of one planetary system within Eve and that is unacceptable.

However, with Cryptic having a new team and more money to expand on STO and the other titles, it will take some time but these upgrades, which will take time and we are along for the ride to express our desires and try and influence that change and direction.

All of that doesn't mean a hill-of-beans...

It's simply that you have decided to IGNORE The Fact that from the get-go...,

...Cryptic CHOSE to create the game in this manner...

What you or I or any other player DESIRES, isn't a compelling factor in the direction the game goes.

It has been and always will be, all about the COST Of Any Changes...

For Them to implement this particular change which you desire, would mean a very large code change and is probably, in Their view, Cost Prohibitive compared to the return on the investment.

It's nice to have desires about this games future, but one should also be realistic about the possibilities.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012

And I have modded for Armada 2. No one here said that Cryptic couldn't do it, we said that their engine does not support it due to how the engine uses your avatar. In BC, your ship is exactly that, your ship. In STO, your ship IS you. If you controlled your ship from your bridge, then no one else would see you. Thats why if you are in space with a friend and your friend visists his bridge, his ship disappears. Personally, I love this game for the interactions with my friends. A bridge view gameplay would seem to hinder that interaction. Remember, BC is a single player game. STO is a MMO.

If you made STO so exspansive where I had to have my conn officer set a course and then I had to wait a week or month to get there, I not have fun and I would move on. That would be too boring. Realism is fine and dandy but, some concessions has ro be made for the sake of playability. I really wish people would quit trying to make this game like some other game. If I want to play BC, I would dust off my BC game disc. If I wanted to play EVE, I would sign up with them. I like STO, and I want the changes to the game be unique to it. If you want a game that is more like BC or EVE, then go create it.

This thread has been highjacked enough so I am done with this debate.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    It would be as much work as building a new game. Which means for a couple of years, we'd have no updates to anything at all. At the end of which, we'd have a less-exciting mode of game play that wouldn't bring back most of the people who'd leave the game during those years.

a less-exciting mode: No, i think just makes it more exciting. That alone can attack subsystems like BC. This would enable many new tasks and options. Since a mission where you have to fly to a planet to deliver relief supplies. A ship comes and you have opportunity to start various options. Now we destroy the drive or the weapons? In both cases, you can continue the mission to fly around the planet without to destroy the ship . In addition, you can still get Diplo XP because you have not destroyed the attackers.
    Since there are several interesting scenarios come to me just in the sense.
    That's a lot better than the stupid shoot-system what we have. Just think just search for what you do with such a system can do.
    Sorry if I laugh. but that is far from "non-exciting".

The ground mode you could change, too.

And to the topic "time, a new dev team", I hope PW is better than Atari. Should they even send some people to Cryptic. :P
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Yes! Exactly what I'm saying. Even if the few do not like to hear, but it is a fact. ^^
    A engine you can always improve.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    And I have modded for Armada 2. No one here said that Cryptic couldn't do it, we said that their engine does not support it due to how the engine uses your avatar. In BC, your ship is exactly that, your ship. In STO, your ship IS you. If you controlled your ship from your bridge, then no one else would see you. Thats why if you are in space with a friend and your friend visists his bridge, his ship disappears. Personally, I love this game for the interactions with my friends. A bridge view gameplay would seem to hinder that interaction. Remember, BC is a single player game. STO is a MMO.

If you made STO so exspansive where I had to have my conn officer set a course and then I had to wait a week or month to get there, I not have fun and I would move on. That would be too boring. Realism is fine and dandy but, some concessions has ro be made for the sake of playability. I really wish people would quit trying to make this game like some other game. If I want to play BC, I would dust off my BC game disc. If I wanted to play EVE, I would sign up with them. I like STO, and I want the changes to the game be unique to it. This thread has been highjacked enough so I am done with this debate.

I understand your position, it was only an opinion which was also backing up your opinion and correcting what you had stated in regards to restrictions on the engine which isn't the case as a former yourself you know that any programmer could overcome those short sighted problems just as we both have experienced in our respected modding groups.

I agree this thread has been hijacked and i we respectfully disagree.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yes! Exactly what I'm saying. Even if the few do not like to hear, but it is a fact. ^^
    A engine you can always improve.
    Originally Posted by typhoncal View Post

That quote is right in so many way, however we need to get this thread back on topic.
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So Long (But Not Quite Good-bye)
    .....For those who aren't aware, it's tough for me to log into the game nowadays. It's not from lack of content (I enjoy what's been added during the past year far more than any content from the first year of release).

.....I'm terribly busy and can't commit to maintaining this thread anymore. I wish I could pass the reins in the lead post to another. The format seems to work fairly well.

.....The original "Want to see what the devs are working on?" thread spanned a couple years and over 532 pages. It was a place where the community could see new screens and find "proof-in-the-pudding" for future releases, whether missions, ships, or costumes.

.....I really wish I could commit but I'd rather not maintain a thread than do it poorly.

.....I'm not leaving the community but I won't be as active. This isn't a good-bye, so much as to why this thread may fall into disrepair.

.....Thanks to all the devs who shared their work: tacofangs, borticus, gozer, capnlogan, thomasthecrypticcat, dstahl, jamjamz, mhighison, heretic, jheinig, and more. Also, thanks to stalwart contributors from the community, you're too numerous to mention. :)

Thanks for all the fish,
    David "Darrenkitlor" P.
    P.S. You'll see me around Neverwinter and I'll be a huge proponent of UGC still. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Darren,

I can help keep the OP up to date while you're away from the forum, provided that you give permission for me to help and that the community helps by continuing to link images as well as post information that is relevant to this threads topic.

Hope you're well, stay in touch when you can and we'll see you around the galaxy, whether it be in passing you by in a starship or crossing swords or sorcery in Neverwinter, which I'm sure will have a few players you recognise.

Cheers!

kalecto
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    NP Darren, thanks for running this thread for so long.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So Long (But Not Quite Good-bye)
    .....For those who aren't aware, it's tough for me to log into the game nowadays. It's not from lack of content (I enjoy what's been added during the past year far more than any content from the first year of release).

.....I'm terribly busy and can't commit to maintaining this thread anymore. I wish I could pass the reins in the lead post to another. The format seems to work fairly well.

.....The original "Want to see what the devs are working on?" thread spanned a couple years and over 532 pages. It was a place where the community could see new screens and find "proof-in-the-pudding" for future releases, whether missions, ships, or costumes.

.....I really wish I could commit but I'd rather not maintain a thread than do it poorly.

.....I'm not leaving the community but I won't be as active. This isn't a good-bye, so much as to why this thread may fall into disrepair.

.....Thanks to all the devs who shared their work: tacofangs, borticus, gozer, capnlogan, thomasthecrypticcat, dstahl, jamjamz, mhighison, heretic, jheinig, and more. Also, thanks to stalwart contributors from the community, you're too numerous to mention. :)

Thanks for all the fish,
    David "Darrenkitlor" P.
    P.S. You'll see me around Neverwinter and I'll be a huge proponent of UGC still. :)

Darren,

You are awesome, you have done such a great job. Thank you!

Formerly: Acidrain
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    DK, you have done an awesome job on this thread. We greatly appreciate your effort. I wish you all he success you can handle in your endeavours.

Now some tweets from the Cap'n.
    @CaptainGeko: Spent a lot of last week working out the remaining details of season 7 sector and content with the leads, and how it dovetails into season 8.

@CaptainGeko: Finished up the next rounds of ships for fed and klg. Now we are onto 1000 vet reward ship, and then finally, a long awaited fan favorite.

@CaptainGeko: ?@x3of9: I can't wait for the hints as to the 1000 day ship to start...Original or canon? etc?
    Not exactly either. That'll bake your noodle.
  • Options
    rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited September 2012
    this implies that the well and korarth will be seperate ( possibly lockbox ? ) and that the 1k veteran reward will be something else entirely

long awaited id say vesta , since we know thats already under work , but could be something else entirely
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nice, ambassador is on the horizon then. well i hope thats the fan favorite. the vesta is not a fan favorite, i think more people dislike then like that thing. it doesn't look like anything that should be from the 24rd century. besides, the texturless mesh was in the foundry, so its likely that it is one of the things that was finished already.