What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "patchserver recieved a message while it was in a state of no response"

What the hell does that even MEAN?!

Well, I tried everything, even completely uninstalling the game and starting over, knowing I could copy all recently updated files from my EHDD as soon as I was able to login again.
    Nothing worked.
    Then, I took my laptop to Starbuck's, and logged on with no problem at all.
    Then, everything was fine.
    WTF?!

I hope I don't have to do this again today as I'm working 3-11P, and therefore will not actually have any chance at all to try this again by the time the server comes back up.
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • boneidolboneidol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    so....the server status is now 'up'...and my launcher still wont get past the autoupdate window!
    did the maintenance resolve this problem for anyone??
  • sj76sj76 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "The patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response"

For 2 days now I have this message.

My professional/ technical point of view is that the Patchserver never estblishes a handshake with any of my clients. Could be simple as timing issue Server vs Client time. Coming from a 2nd lvl TS background at many global players myself for over 10 years
    now.

My Environment
    Main PC - AMD Phenom II X6 - Windows 7 - 64 Bit Home Premium
    2nd PC - Core 2 Duo - Windows Vista Home Basic - 32 Bit
    Laptop - iCore3 - Windows 7 - 64Bit Home Premium
    All well within specs btw.

Internet connection is via Tooway / Skylogic Sattelite connection, and no, there are no alternatives were I live (rural Ireland), well, beside from sending doves or the occasional message in a bottle.

What happened so far

I had it running fine since August 23rd on my Main PC, got even to Lt. Commander and my new Ship (oh joy, so short but so nice).

At the weekend I was a bit annoyed with the constant background patches during loading page and inside Episodes causing lags, dragging issue etc., so I went through the renaming the "Live" folder procedure, just to make sure i get all patches at once which after the 4GB patch to the latest ST version downloaded fully... the application refused to start all together (...) so aehm - nevermind 4GB of my monthly DL limit in the bin - back to original Live folder which worked fine again until two days ago Tuesday the 28th. I had reached my DL limit a day before this already (27th) when it was still working fine even on 128kbs down from my usual 12000kbs. In short it was running fine on 128kbs except for the occasional crash in Memory Alpha or disconnects when leaving Earth which I understand even happens to DSL customers with way more firepower.

All I can add as a hint of a possible cause is that when I logged out the final time there was a patch still running in the background, even at the empty login screen after I had left the game itself, when I pressed "Exit".

Just to make sure I hadn't f'ed it up I shared the original DL folder and installed it on my 2nd PC + the Laptop via my network. Funny enough on all of them I got the same message.

To be absolutely crystal clear about it I also flushed the DNS on my PC+Router+ Sat Modem, even chose another router that I have here as a backup. I forced my external IP to be replaced which has anyway a short lease time of somewhere between 1 and 4 hours only. Went also from Static IP to DHCP on my local network just to make sure all config files are overwritten properly. I emptied the prefetch files folder too, you never know.

Having had no joy with playing memory with all my hardware and all my software settings I turned my focus also on the Account Guard but it had no effect on neither if its active or inactive.

...So I am somewhat out of ideas

Back to the professional point of view I could imagine that is hard to re-create this in their office so I am not to hard on them just yet...unless they have a machine behaving in the same way its a bit the like the needle in the haystack thingy for them.

PS:
    Please do us all a favour STOP keeping us busy with BS and unless you have seriously messed with your folder/ files do not keep reinstalling the client it will not fix your issue.
    edited August 2012
    And just to reply to the previous question while i was typing away.

The answer is NO it did do nothing to the current issue, this patch was for the "others".

I am sure that the issue is not yet fully understood and we are lightyears away from a fix to be implemented.

I guess they were hoping the Server Restart would somehow fix it but thats the same BS thinking pattern as asking us to restart the PC in order to fix network issues, lagging, premature aging and the war in Syria "omg lol - 1 to beam up"
  • simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am still having the problem, I will venture a theory here. Since this is not the first time it seems like they are hard coding the IP address for thier server into software. Then when thier ISP does not reassign the same IP address they lose connection and nobody can update. Then they recode with the new IP address and force people to download 5 gigs of program and go thru all the TRIBBLE. Until one brave soul uploads the loader for the rest of us to patch in manually.

Bottom line is it seems they are not using a domain name for the servers or even a dynamic domain name. Lazy programming seems to be the issue. But that is just my theory.
  • averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    On monday it'll be 3 weeks for me, I know its not my machines or my ISP!!!

We've established its there end and the info they had off me they were specifically asking for my IP address so here's hoping by mid september theres a fix or I'll be going back to EVE for a few months and hoping STO works afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • stevehalestevehale Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    Would someone else mind uploading a different loader? A new loader has helped in the past but the versions being shared so far this time around have not helped. I do appreciate the efforts from other community members in trying to help the rest of us out.

Still, since I'm at a complete loss for options, I would greatly appreciate others sharing their launcher.exe. It might not help but just in case...
  • trekie564trekie564 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    same here w/ windows 7. help!
    this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP, everyone.
  • trekie564trekie564 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    If we all get back in we should get together and celebrate at Club 41, Romulan Ales all around! Or form a Fleet, the Disgruntled Starfleeters lol!

all for it. PS this happened after CRYPTIC did "mantanince" on sto:mad::mad::mad::(
    this is not a flame, if you consider it a flame, i apologize. it is not meant as such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP, everyone.
  • strokeofluckstrokeofluck Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm still out. The download and install resulted in more ever-depressing epic fail. I see that there was even a maintenance period that solved nothing. Awesome.
  • desparotodesparoto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hello all

this was the error i was getting

STOerror.png

I play Flight sim alot, and several of my addons- as well as flight sim itself requier running as Administartor to work. STo never requiered this. but i tried it anyway. And i can now log on.

Right click the .exe and run it as Admin if your useing Windows Vista/7. not shure if its 32 or 64bit specific.

you may also try Right clicking on the exe (or desktop short cut) select properties. on the compatibilty tab check the box titled Run this programe as administrator. Then click apply.

note if the account your useing is not the Admin acount on your PC. you will need the Admin accounts password.

this worked for me. and i hope it helps yall. if not, all i can say is keep pestering the tech guys
    edited August 2012
    desparoto wrote: »
    hello all

this was the error i was getting

STOerror.png

I play Flight sim alot, and several of my addons- as well as flight sim itself requier running as Administartor to work. STo never requiered this. but i tried it anyway. And i can now log on.

Right click the .exe and run it as Admin if your useing Windows Vista/7. not shure if its 32 or 64bit specific.

you may also try Right clicking on the exe (or desktop short cut) select properties. on the compatibilty tab check the box titled Run this programe as administrator. Then click apply.

note if the account your useing is not the Admin acount on your PC. you will need the Admin accounts password.

this worked for me. and i hope it helps yall. if not, all i can say is keep pestering the tech guys

Nope, nothin. Thanks for the try though.
  • miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    edited August 2012
    miloguy wrote: »
    The quoted post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~TrailTurtle

Reboot! Yeaaaahhhhhh!!!! WoOOOOoo!! We're on the right track now fellas. Sage advice commin' out the pipeline now.
    edited August 2012
    anybody that manages to get in please post your launcher publicly so the rest of us may benefit. Thank you thank you thank you very very much in advance.
    edited August 2012
    Have we tried a new launcher file that the update has already been performed on? If someone could hook us up with one of those, that would be awesome.
    edited August 2012
    I have done more research on this and there may indeed be an IP ban. If you do a traceroute (tracert) to the patchserver.crypticstudios.com and you find "cogentco" in the list it seems they may be blocking people. it at least is a common point for those of us not getting in for no reason. The suggestion is to send a support request with your ISP name and a copy of the traceroute to the support people at cryptic so they can fix this.
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I by no means have my hopes up but the launcher has worked for me today, I still expect it to break again, however to those of you following along, support sent me a disturbing email this is it:

Please accept my sincerest apologies, however we will no longer be able to directly assist in this matter. I would suggest submitting a bug report if you haven't already to our QA department for review. This may be done by selecting 'Bug Report' from the list of available help options. Do note that Bug Reports are reviewed by members of the QA team, however you will not be able to edit or view any reported bugs. Additionally, Bug Reports do not receive personalized responses.

So I guess that means TRIBBLE off, we dont care to help you any longer, wow!
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • sogdog666sogdog666 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys.

It seems we'll getting a bit frustrated, understandably.

I thought I'd mention that I got a slightly different response from the PW forums.

I posted the reply in the thread titled "Patchclient in a state with no response function " in these tech forums. (Don't know how to post links sorry)

It's a responce specifically for people who have cogentco ISP in their tracerts. It might be applicable for some of you.
    edited August 2012
    How do you check the tracert that they want?
  • cocobaleadascocobaleadas Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Same problem here. I've contacted support and got 4 e-mails yet I'm unable to log in. Had this very same problem in May and was unable to log on for 3+ weeks. At this point it's obvious imo that it's not a PC or ISP problem but at cryptic's server... guess it's time to look for another game to play and give my money to.
    edited August 2012
    miloguy wrote: »
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~TrailTurtle

See guys, they are watching this thread intently.
  • miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    what was so bad about my previous post????

i was just trying to help others with the email i got from pwe???

this is one of the very few pc games i play ,...

darn ...

edit.. i can understand where i went wrong put pwe or Q or who ever is running the show
    please find a solution,

Looking for my ship but feel like im trapped in some alternate reality

milo
  • speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sogdog666 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

It seems we'll getting a bit frustrated, understandably.

I thought I'd mention that I got a slightly different response from the PW forums.

I posted the reply in the thread titled "Patchclient in a state with no response function " in these tech forums. (Don't know how to post links sorry)

It's a responce specifically for people who have cogentco ISP in their tracerts. It might be applicable for some of you.

select text in the address bar; copy and paste into a response ... many thanks
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • sogdog666sogdog666 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here's how to do the tracert. If you see any of the hops containing any cogentco servers, thats likely what is causing your problems.

From the tech support website:

For Windows, hit the start button
    Where it says Search All Files and Programs, type CMD and press ENTER
    The first result should be cmd.exe
    Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator
    A black, command-prompt window should appear
    From here type the following command:
    tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

I'll post what I got from PW tech forums here as well, seeing as most people are only following this thread.

Reply as follows:

Yep, this is a known issue with the ISP for the servers, Cogentco. For some players, it doesn't seem to like their IP addresses and their ping, connection drops a lot.

Our engineers and other departments are working on a solution and hopefully something gets fixed like routing those players to a different ISP for the game servers, like to Internap instead of Cogentco.

You can send in a ticket to customer support with your traceroute and nettest info. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=225155

They are putting a list together and giving the ones reporting the issue to the engineers everyday.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, when I tried the tracert it just popped up "timed out" over and over, it does that for every website I could think of to type in though. I assume that has something to do with my ISP.
    edited August 2012
    My tracert shows internap already but to no avail (...) soo thats i guess 2nd lvl approach to gain some more time or might affect indeed only a few.

If tracert does not work for you it is likely that your modem does not support ICMP packets for in/ outbound. Call you ISP ask for a modem that supports ICMP / tracert command (maybe its in general a good idea to check up with your ISP @folks, I am doing the same atm. just in case).

Small chance that ISP does not support tracert all together for weird security reasons not clearly specified in T&Cs (e.g. attacks from outer space), in that case either try change the ISP, get a better offer, check around.

For people who are stuck with their ISP like me or anybody else with this issue and a working tracert; where STO was clearly working before or intermittent "unable to log in patch issue" I can only recommend to to join in this threat, experience shows unless a couple of thousand people have this issue the priority on this matter will be somewhere between 0 and -10.
    9000+ views vs 400+ replies so far.

Make it so
    edited August 2012
    Well, back to the, anyone got a working launcher that they just used and knows that its updated? I'm willing to try anything 5000 times before I dismiss it apparently.
  • speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is not a launcher issue the reason I know that is that I have been using a hotel internet connection for the last week (albeit it worked fine for the first few days) I brought my laptop home today and it connected just fine using the old launcher....

This squat to do with any setting on your PC or anything under your direct control, and to be fair it may not even be under Cryptics direct control and does seem to relate to the way your PC resolves its route to the patch servers via DNS...

my laptop is patching as I type this... oh and Cogentco is still in its tracert...
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • dirtyfernadezdirtyfernadez Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    haha what a **** game, i playd yesterday for 3h. then i got disconnectet and have the same problem here cant log in anymore.

haha and the support team must be 12 years old, becuse so many player cant connect and they arent able to fix this issue.

bad support team, fix this your *****!!!