test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate Problem

Comments

• averyddaverydd Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I just disconnected my router overnight and whilst I was at work and it still gave me the same IP address, so much for dynamic lol. Oh well seems like after and over 2 weeks still no closer to meeting at DS9 to listen to Morn's amazingly long stories :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Original Join Date May 2009 - Real 1000 Day Veteran
  • defcon1776defcon1776 Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Cryptic uses Pando Media Booster,a P2P program to distribute patches. I uninstalled it, killed it from running processes and it seemed to work for me. 4 hours now and still ok.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=341841
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." Q
    Join the 44th Fleet. [FED and KDF] Apply Online: startrek.44thfleet.com
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    averydd wrote: »
    Well I just disconnected my router overnight and whilst I was at work and it still gave me the same IP address, so much for dynamic lol. Oh well seems like after and over 2 weeks still no closer to meeting at DS9 to listen to Morn's amazingly long stories :(
    Success at last ladies and gents!!!!:D I'm currently logged into the game, as I type this and absolutely everything seems to be in order and running smoothly!:D

Averydd, make sure to leave your router and cable modem disconnected for 8 to 12 hours at least, ideally during peak internet traffic times in your immediate area (say from 4PM until 12AM). That should increase the likelihood of someone picking up the IP address that you've released. I had my cable modem completely disconnected from around 5:45AM yesterday, until about 1:00AM today. Oh and before disconnecting my cable modem, I went into 'CMD' and typed 'ipconfig/release' before disconnecting the cable modem. Thankfully gave me a new IP address and allowed me to patch and play now.:D

I'm still going to reply to PWE Tech tomorrow, not only to report my solution, but also ask why this happened to begin with. It's clearly been a persistent problem since 2010 and after all the frakkin' time and trouble I've put myself through to resolve this, I very much want to know why this happened at all.

Averydd, Bannon3, Escapy (you're the genius who clued me to leaving my modem disconnected for nearly a day, to get another IP and I thank you especially!) and any one else with whom I've bantered throughout this ordeal, we all ought to set a time and place to meet at Club 47 or Quarks for drinks on me (I did actually make some maxi-big sales while I was gone!) and friending each other in-game.

I'll continue checking in on this thread and wish you all luck in getting back in!
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So 2 weeks + since last login, 3 months since game worked normally and even with the apparent flurry of tec interaction we are still nowhere it seems with no information. I dont know how much longer I will be hanging around at this point, I am losing my will and patience. Maybe the thing to do is to walk away and check back in a year and see what happens.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • kirash1979kirash1979 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    escapay14 wrote: »
    I was finally able to login and get everything working fine. In my case, apparently all that was needed to do was to get a new IP address from my ISP. If you leave your router & modem disconnected for more than 8 hrs it will usually force the ISP to give you a new IP address when you reconnect. Not sure if this will work for anyone else, but I thought I'd throw it out there as the solution to my problem in case. Good luck!

I would like to confirm this as a possible solution. I left my modem unplugged while I was at work and my girlfriend was asleep. Turned it back on as soon as I got home, released and renewed my IP through cmd, and the launcher loaded up. We'll see how things go after the patch loads.

Again, for those of you having this problem, this IS a working solution. Thank you escapay.
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    So 2 weeks + since last login, 3 months since game worked normally and even with the apparent flurry of tec interaction we are still nowhere it seems with no information. I dont know how much longer I will be hanging around at this point, I am losing my will and patience. Maybe the thing to do is to walk away and check back in a year and see what happens.

Bannon3, we've found the solution man!:D Just unplug your cable modem and router for at least 8 hours, in order to obtain a new IP address. And make sure that you unplug the modem and router, sometime close to the IP lease expiration time that stated in 'CMD'->'ipconfig/all'. Then stay unplugged until someone hopefully picks up your old IP. Before plugging your modem and router again, make sure to uninstall the game and then reinstall it. I just spent the past 9 hours or so in-game, without any problems at all.

What's more, I think I've figured out why this happened to begin with. The 'Account Guard' system is tied to your IP address. They even sent me another 'one time code', before I logged into my character and that email specifically mentioned that said code was tied to my IP. If your IP address changes, then I think that 'Account Guard' system whacks ya. It's pain in the tuckus for those of us with dynamic IP addresses though. If I'm gone for a number of days or even logged out for a few hours around the time my IP lease expires, I think this could potentially happen again.

Yet, at least now we can all log back in and play again Bannon3. Hope to see ya in-game soon man!

kirash1979 wrote: »
    I would like to confirm this as a possible solution. I left my modem unplugged while I was at work and my girlfriend was asleep. Turned it back on as soon as I got home, released and renewed my IP through cmd, and the launcher loaded up. We'll see how things go after the patch loads.

Again, for those of you having this problem, this IS a working solution. Thank you escapay.

I second what ya said Kirash. This IS the solution to this problem, no ifs ands or buts. And the game seemed to run a whole lot smoother than before this mess started too.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    methos71

• ncc53702ncc53702 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hi all,

glad to hear that unplugging your router / modem / etc for longer than x hours seems to work! However, I really would like to know what PWE/Cryptic has to say about this.

are they kinda blocking certain ips from connecting to the update-server?

i don`t know how its handled over in the US but here you get a 24h forced disconnect after which you should get a new ip. most of the time. I am not quite sure but i think i had the problem only for ablout 24h... yes, i checked with my post on page 27 - about 24h...

so long...

vel
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    About 2-3 times now I've crashed and when opening launcher it says "patching..." and then hangs [my crash is after I had already downloaded whatever the patch was].

I found a workaround which is to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and force quit the game's exe file.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
    edited August 2012
    I just had my router off for over 24 hours and still no joy, my router still has 5 days left on the ip lease so its going be a ballache, I'm going be ringing my ISP threatening to leave if I dont get a new IP address, it might work.

I could see this working I've been asked for my IP address and a few other things just sent them to PWE so here's hoping it'll work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    About 2-3 times now I've crashed and when opening launcher it says "patching..." and then hangs [my crash is after I had already downloaded whatever the patch was].

I found a workaround which is to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and force quit the game's exe file.

This is not the problem we are experiencing, you were just having problems patching we can't even access the launcher.

As for turning my modem off it was off all day yesterday for my twelve hour workday and still didn't work when I got home since I have a new game to play now I'm not going to shut it down all day just because STO doesn't know how to configure their site properly.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
    edited August 2012
    Just tried bypassing my ip lease by direct connecting to the router in modem mode according to my isp it would override the router ip as my pc is asking for an ip address but no joy, tried doing same with an old router still no joy.

Edit, MY ISP just transferred me to a outsourced call centre and I got the dumbest f'ing idiot ever trying tell me it's nothing do with him and that I should wait til January because theres a maintenance issue around me that has nothing to do with this issue. I'm annoyed now!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• eeb3eeb3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If the issue stems from only certain IP#s are not working, then I wonder if someone screwed up and did IP bans on cryptic's side (or a hop before cryptic)...
    edited August 2012
    eeb3 wrote: »
    If the issue stems from only certain IP#s are not working, then I wonder if someone screwed up and did IP bans on cryptic's side (or a hop before cryptic)...

Probably, its just annoying, I tried everything but I always seem to get the same borked IP, and Virgin media are a bunch of c*cks who say "oh well it's not long before you IP lease expires 6 days and that I should just wait it out and hope for the best"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited August 2012
    averydd wrote: »
    I just had my router off for over 24 hours and still no joy, my router still has 5 days left on the ip lease so its going be a ballache, I'm going be ringing my ISP threatening to leave if I dont get a new IP address, it might work.

I could see this working I've been asked for my IP address and a few other things just sent them to PWE so here's hoping it'll work.
    Averydd, I read all of your posts, but this quote of yours seemed the most germane to the problem at hand. For starters, I'm positively gobsmacked that your ISP has such lengthy IP address leases! Five days, for a supposed dynamic IP provider, just sounds utterly ridiculous.

It's funny that before this problem ever occurred, I really knew next to nothing about routers, as I've never had a router. Hell, last December, I bought myself a very well reviewed Android tablet and I was able to get an old router that my parents had discarded. Yet, I've never used the tablet, 'cause I've never bothered dabbling with that old router.

All that aside...and you may have tried this already...but I would suggest leaving the router out of the loop altogether, for starters. Just plug your PC directly into your cable modem, with your router disconnected, and then access 'CMD' and 'ipconfig/release'. Then completely unplug your cable modem (all cables unplugged) and leave it that way for at least 8 hours. When that time's up, check on whether or not you have a new IP address. If we're so lucky that this happens, then 'forward the ports' and adjust the settings on your router to match your new IP info.

Nagging thing about that suggestion though is that I'm pessimistic that such a thing might work, on account of your IP lease being as long as it is. That lease may end up being persistent. In which case, I would hound your ISP to the point of exhaustion, until they give you a new IP address!
    eeb3 wrote: »

Eeb3, this possibility has had me scratching my head as well. When I was last logged in, before ever discovering this problem, I had an in-game incident. Some fella I had met invited me to his Starbase. We hung out there for a while and then I got hit by that 'Fleet Starbase trapping non-Fleet guests' bug. I was way sloshed on whiskey and annoyed that I couldn't get out and accused my SB host of perhaps intentionally trapping me, as he claimed he had no way of helping.

So, in my drunken paranoia, I reported him to a GM. The fellow in question was very sincerely apologetic over the problem and even compensated me for my troubles with 30 Tholian Requisition boxes and a ton of special ship batteries. I assured him that if a GM contacted me about the report I had filed, that I would attest that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

Per your suggestion Eeb3, could it possibly be that there's an in-game glitch whereby a GM report backfires on the person doing the reporting, rather than effecting the person that has been reported? Be a terrible thing, if that were the case, as legitimate reports should not be ignored and should be dealt with properly, instead of accidentally punishing a victim.
    methos71

• eeb3eeb3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    methos71 wrote: »
    Averydd, I read all of your posts, but this quote of yours seemed the most germane to the problem at hand. For starters, I'm positively gobsmacked that your ISP has such lengthy IP address leases! Five days, for a supposed dynamic IP provider, just sounds utterly ridiculous.

Acutally, the 'dynamic' I think refers to 'when you connect' (after being offline for a time) is when it changes and the 'dynamic' is applied.
    All that aside...and you may have tried this already...but I would suggest leaving the router out of the loop altogether, for starters. Just plug your PC directly into your cable modem, with your router disconnected, and then access 'CMD' and 'ipconfig/release'. Then completely unplug your cable modem (all cables unplugged) and leave it that way for at least 8 hours. When that time's up, check on whether or not you have a new IP address. If we're so lucky that this happens, then 'forward the ports' and adjust the settings on your router to match your new IP info.

Disconnecting your Router and connecting your PC to the cable modem then typing /release would actually be kinda pointless, since the 'release' command isn't to cable modem or to the router, but to the PC, if you want to release the IP from the router, you'd have to do it from the router's interface. (IP's are assigned to the MAC address of the device connected. So unless your router is mirroring your PC's MAC address you 'should' get a diffrent IP# while that device is connected)
    Eeb3, this possibility has had me scratching my head as well. When I was last logged in, before ever discovering this problem, I had an in-game incident. Some fella I had met invited me to his Starbase. We hung out there for a while and then I got hit by that 'Fleet Starbase trapping non-Fleet guests' bug. I was way sloshed on whiskey and annoyed that I couldn't get out and accused my SB host of perhaps intentionally trapping me, as he claimed he had no way of helping.

So, in my drunken paranoia, I reported him to a GM. The fellow in question was very sincerely apologetic over the problem and even compensated me for my troubles with 30 Tholian Requisition boxes and a ton of special ship batteries. I assured him that if a GM contacted me about the report I had filed, that I would attest that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.

Per your suggestion Eeb3, could it possibly be that there's an in-game glitch whereby a GM report backfires on the person doing the reporting, rather than effecting the person that has been reported? Be a terrible thing, if that were the case, as legitimate reports should not be ignored and should be dealt with properly, instead of accidentally punishing a victim.

I highly doubt that in-game would cause issues with connectivity. Because I know I hadn't made an in-game GM reports before I had to take a week break due to unforeseen circumstances, and when I came back, I started having issues with connectivity to STO.
  • anubisdeltaanubisdelta Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Now Having this fault as well. Try to get into the game and the patch client wont load. Usualy gets tried connecting twice then Errors out. Was working fine up until and hour ago loged out as someone needed the computer came to log back in and suprise suprise it went and started these errors. Have had this before in the past and usualy fixed by downloading another persons working Exe for the game but dont seem to be any links to one at the moment.
    Member Since June 2009
  • cakeofcheesecakeofcheese Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I had this problem a few days ago and it resolved itself within minutes, but now I get the same error as above. Makes me wonder if Cryptic did some blanket ban of certain IPs or something.
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Im a player from Indonesia and I can't log on, as well as a friend of mine living in another city in my country.

I hope its not a blanket IP ban...

Love this game too much, spent too much for this to happen like this...
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited August 2012
    I was ingame, got disconnected and have gotten this error everytime I've tried to log in since.
    I have a feeling that the trouble is on my end, but the only way I'll know for sure is to try it somewhere else.
  • thomasthewolf80thomasthewolf80 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i`m having the same problem where the launcher will not ope just tries to connect twice then an error message this has happend before and i really do not want to download this game again for the 5th time this is getting ludacris the bugs and on and on come on guys what the hell it was working fine at 4 pm central time today with no issues now all of a sudden the launcher wont open so there r no options to adjust plus all websites work and the rest of my online games i know last time i was offline for 3 weeks i really hope this does not happen again
    edited August 2012
    I just tried connecting on a completely different internet connection. I can get online, and do anything I want, but connect to STO. I can't even open the launcher. The only thing I can think of to do is wait until tommorrow and hope it clears up- or spend an entire evening re-installing the game.
  • simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was playing fine 90 minutes ago and signed out. same thing the launcher doesn't even come up. I bypassed the launcher and ran gameclient.exe direct and there was hope it was working until it tried to connect to the account server then it sat and failed. So it seems they are having a server problem there and I am sure they will get that fixed. Can't leave your game offline like that and survive.

It would be nice if they would put up postings about problems on a timely basis, it would alleviate alot of frustration from users.
  • naval10naval10 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To me it says "Unable to estabilish connection to Pach Server. Please check your internet connection" The net is fine I am on line in the arena several hours everyday but since I came beck from work I've been unable to enter the game, and I tryed with 2 diferent machines...
    edited August 2012
    I just filed a ticket and got an auto response back that said

"Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 3-4 business days."

I just joined a fleet. Not a serious one, but I make the jump to join one after flying solo for a year and a half. Between this and the connection issues I've been having over the past couple of weeks I'm starting to think it's time to move on.
  • sebastianmalvoliosebastianmalvolio Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    just adding my name to the hat after a good solid month of playing. played last night with no porblems (minor lag in the STF's but other than that no problems whatsoever) until i try to log in tonight....nothing. little white box appears "trying to update login servers" hangs there for about 2 to 3 minutes, then "oops" window appears telling me that they cannot connect to the launcher. the short and skinny is....it's borked. the long and fat of it....broken code somewhere in the newest patch data that won't allow us to connect to the launch server. that's it in a nutshell.....fix it soon , please.

update: checked my STO files, checked my internet connection, everything seems to be fine there. tried restarting, and relaunching. no dice....it's somewhere on the server end in the launcher auto update.exe....got a "no response from the client server" popup as well as the standard one. hope this narrows it down a bit for the techies.

"Boy....Don't tell me about how "ubergodleet" you think you are. I was playing games long before you were even a twinkle in your daddy's eye....ever hear of Commodore or Ti99? Yeah....it's like that."
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bannon3 wrote: »
    For all the good it will do I sent another email off to support, I really dont think they care. But they will have to notice eventually when noone can log in anymore, this really is annoying. We will see what develops but if I have to cancel again I will not come back until I know this is fixed and even then, lots of new and better games are coming along.

why sub when the game is F2P you dont loose anything beside the zen per month and that can be made up from dailies ingame in a couple days time.

but yes I am having the same issue I get little window that says " trying to update the launcher. Please be patient." after the " tried connecting 2 times." I get another window the says "patcher error the patchclient got a message while it was in a state with no response function"

the only way I know how to fix this is to uninstall/reinstall the game which is a pain in the A$$ becuase then I have to repatch it all over again

Cryptic PLEASE figure out what is doing this and fix it. this started happening at the begining of this year and happen every few months for me and I'm tired of reinstalling.

Edit Update:

not sure this will apply to everyone but its worth a shot. If you know someone from the game that is able to play and have a way to chat with then online besides ingame have them send you there .exe file and then replace yours with theres if I had a way to post the .exe file online I would do so and will work on trying to do so in the next few hours and if I do I will post it here so everyone can take advantage of it.
    edited August 2012
    If I go to the download link without uninstalling any files would it try to download the whole thing and rewrite everything? Is there a file I should delete so it downloads a new copy without needing to spend all night re-downloading the whole game?
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dont redownload the entire game, have someone you know thats playing the game currently send you his/her Star Trek Online.exe

that fixed the problem for me and my friend.

- William@chandlerashari
    Joint Chief, Starfleet Medical Command
    edited August 2012
    I went through my hard drive and launched the sto.exe. It loaded fine, it just wasn't connected to the server. I got to the STO login screen, but then it would not connect to the server.

Is there anyway I can just download the launcher?
  • escapay14escapay14 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Essentially, what you need to do IS get your PC to release the IP as well as your router/modem. An alternative to unplugging your modem is if your modem or router (can't remember which) thinks you've connected a new device (i.e. get your pc to release it's IP and get a new one by tricking your modem into thinking it's a new device-but that part I'm not clear on) it should give you a new IP. That's the other way I know of to get a new IP other than disconnecting your modem for however long it takes for it to pick up a new IP when plugged back in (usually at the very least 8 hrs often times it's more). But again, I'm not really clear on how it would be done, just know it's another way to get a new IP (vaguely as you can see). Hope that helps someone research how to do it if they don't want to unplug their modem.

Again, if you read this entire thread, you will see this IS a working solution for the problem where NO launcher comes up and you can't connect to the patch server. This is not a solution for if you are having issues on your end or something else. Just wanted to be sure I was clear. Also, forthis particular problem there is no need to do anything with the existing game as you have it downloaded, just get a new IP address. That is it.