The most stupid moments in Star Trek

123457»

Comments

• Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    For me it has to be a scene in Enterprise after T'Pol attends movie night:

"Captain, I'm picking up biosigns. In the words of Dr. Frankenstein, it's alive!"

Even the most diehard of Ent supporters have cringe at that.

I am a stern ENT defender but that is an awful line.
    Trek has cringe-worthy lines all over the place, not to mention retcons, throwaways, Kirk... it's easy enough to ignore.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    red01999 wrote: »
    IMO, Enterprise had the odds stacked way against it from the very beginning.

It came hot on the heels of Voyager. Mama Paramount was looking at it mighty carefully after Voyager alienated so many people. Plus, it had to be a prequel, so it had to conform to tons and tons and TONS of backstory, ergo lots of things we take "for granted" (e.g. knowing about the Cardassians, even) were things they simply couldn't.

They also needed to keep the technology still Star Trekish, but plausible - no mean feat, considering how barbaric the TOS tech was compared to the TNG tech everyone had been watching for the last 15 years. They had to preserve the "cool factor" of later ships (which supposedly outmatched the NX Enterprise) but have their own "cool factor" which says "even though I'm centuries behind I can still kick butt!"

So essentially they had EVERYONE breathing down their necks. As such they did not get the fair shake that TNG did, and by the time it came into its own it was too late. One might say "they messed up," and maybe they did, but the odds were way, way, WAY stacked against it, and further loaded by some questionable choices (like the very existence of UPN - there's a reason there is no more UPN).

I didn't watch Ent much while it was on (very busy time in my life), but I've watched some episodes over the last few years, and, really, it wasn't half bad. Had they the proper time and TLC I think it would have been a great series, but it just wasn't meant to be.

That said it may have been a wiser decision, from both a business and lore standpoint, to make a series about the Excelsior featuring Sulu. George Takai was, as I recall, lobbying hard for this. I was disappointed when ti never happened, and still kind of wonder what might have been there, as, while still a retro-series, it would have had a LOT more breathing room.

Enterprise was a decent "Sci-Fi show," it just didn't feel especially Trekkish to me.
    edited August 2012
    Okay... from the TOS era...

Whose idea was it to install a brand new intelligent computer directly to a Starship's power source and circuitry without an actual physical cutoff switch? One that the computer would have no access to just in case the thing goes mad and starts trying to destroy every starship it meets?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    godemperorphooeygodemperorphooey Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It was the crazy scientist guy, he saw the computer as his son, if I recall correctly, so he didn't see the need for a shutoff because, in his mind, there was no chance for the computer to be flawed or do anything wrong, he saw it as perfect.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Diana Troi crying all the time in TNG Season 1 .... Agghhhh!
  • Options
    waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Some of the "dafter" ones include

Spocks brain (whole episode)
    the whole vidian concept (they are very very stupid they can make a whole klingon but not a whole vidian????)
    The DS9 episode in the lift
    Why can't ANYONE in Trek marry their own species??

Isn't the last comment raciest?
  • Options
    mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012
    At the end of JJ Trek, when Kirk jettisons the warp core into the singularity, and rides the "wave" out of the event horizon. 1) Dumping the warp core was only possible from the Ambassador class forward. 2) how does a shockwave escape a black hole, when not even light can?
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I thought the 2009 Star Trek was pretty good, if they were going to revive the series, if thy wanted to have any kind of creativity, they had to find a way to throw out the history book, otherwise the high temple priests of almighty Trek would be crucifying every new story for not sticking to Star Trek dogma.
    What I did not like were the cheap sets, the moment you left the bridge or the transporter room, it was like you were suddenly in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory, big plastic tubes with water running through it, Communications in the middle of what looks like a brewery, steel girders everywhere, spaces partitioned of with plastic drapes and if you look hard enough you might see cinderblock walls in the background.
    I mean if they want it to look like the inside of a naval vessel then use the inside of a naval vessel, there are enough of them around. Don't shoot an engineering scene inside of an abandoned high school and expect anyone to think it's not what it looks like.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Silliness:

Quark being surgically altered to become a female.

That was so bad it was unwatchable. I don't mean the crossdressing, which was comical at first. But as the episode dragged on....
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • Options
    cliftona91cliftona91 Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2012
    carmenara wrote: »
    Silliness:

Quark being surgically altered to become a female.

That was so bad it was unwatchable. I don't mean the crossdressing, which was comical at first. But as the episode dragged on....

To quote the immortal George Takei.....oh TRIBBLE it I'll let him speak for himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ALsvU50wQ
  • Options
    naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The episode was in TV yesterday. Voy "Threshold". I remembered it as a bad episode and wow it's really a bad one.

Stupid moment: Tom Paris spits out his tongue :rolleyes: