What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The most stupid moments in Star Trek

Comments

• Options
    kdr37kdr37 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Forgot about the refugees. Thought they only turned up on 1701-D.

As for Scotty...in the future world of Trek, they have no end of counselors. Insisting someone was alive when they were assumed dead by officialdom would result in several trips to one of them (also happens now, even where the 'deluded' person is later proved right).
    Question is, would someone in an apparently delusional state be allowed near a starship of any sort?

Anyway...another bit of TOS daftness: 'Let This Be Your Last Battlefield' and the planet 'in the southern most area of the galaxy'.
    Say what?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kdr37 wrote: »

As for Scotty...in the future world of Trek, they have no end of counselors. Insisting someone was alive when they were assumed dead by officialdom would result in several trips to one of them (also happens now, even where the 'deluded' person is later proved right).
    Question is, would someone in an apparently delusional state be allowed near a starship of any sort?

Anyway...another bit of TOS daftness: 'Let This Be Your Last Battlefield' and the planet 'in the southern most area of the galaxy'.
    Say what?
    You're assuming Scotty ranted about it publicly. If he simply kept it to himself no one would know that he didn't really think Kirk was dead. Except maybe a few close friends who would likely understand why Scott felt that way.

what I thought was dumb about Battlefield was the timeline... Lokai and Bele had been playing cat-and-mouse throughout the galaxy for 50 MILLENIA!!! Uh wha? The populace apparently took at least 49,800 years to complete their mutual annihilation....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jim940jim940 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kdr37 wrote: »
    Scotty begins a transport from the Lakul as it, too, explodes. He manages to save 47 - out of 150.

There were 47 of them, including Tolian Soran (aka the "bad guy" in Generations) and Guinan (Whoopi Goldberg) who was on the Enterprise who were "saved" from energy ribbon.

Plenty of reason for why Scotty who had seen Kirk avoid death multiple times to believe the stories that the 47 survivors would have told him and given him reason to believe Kirk was still alive.

Jim
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jim940 wrote: »
    Plenty of reason for why Scotty who had seen Kirk avoid death multiple times to believe the stories that the 47 survivors would have told him and given him reason to believe Kirk was still alive.

Jim

Do we need to name them all? :P
  • Options
    mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2012
    no.... the only plausible explanation is that Scotty didn't beleive Kirk was dead. Let's face it, how many other times did Scotty see Kirk cheat death? Scotty was waiting for Kirk to show up alive even years later. KIA status be d---ed! Seriously, it's not that uncommon for people to act like that IRL, why is it hard to beleive Scotty did?

The TNG episode aired before "Generations" began production.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Any time Gordy, or Wesley, recalibrates the whatchamajiggy so it now operates at **% more efficiency. If these guys are really that freakin' smart, why is StarFleet risking their loss on potentially calamitous, first contact missions? They should be safe back on Earth building better starships.

Riker, Picard, and any other StarFleet officers, who choose to "opt out" when StarFleet Command wishes to promote them. What's the point of having a rank system then? Having a bunch of overqualified, personell continuing to do jobs that are beneath their capabilities, doesn't seem very efficient, at all.
  • Options
    ussberlinussberlin Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Star Trek 11 and 1
    18 Cpt on the way to 60: 14 of them are already 50 or over 50, one is 60 and 3 almost 43
    Subscribed For: 4 years 5 months 20 days at 26.10.2014
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Riker, Picard, and any other StarFleet officers, who choose to "opt out" when StarFleet Command wishes to promote them. What's the point of having a rank system then? Having a bunch of overqualified, personell continuing to do jobs that are beneath their capabilities, doesn't seem very efficient, at all.

They don't feel ready personally, they enjoy the lives they have.
    Riker just wanted to hook up with Deanna again. Riker isn't really legendary captain material, he's no Sisko, Picard, Janeway, Archer or even Sulu. Anyone would make a better captain than Kirk, except Wesley, he's just as bad.
    Picard was not going to fly a desk, that would've actually been a blow to Starfleet losing such a good captain at that time (iirc he was offered the position of Commandant of Starfleet Academy in season 1)
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jim940 wrote: »
    after discussing with them what happened (aka debriefing), it would have been known that Kirk might not be dead.

I don't think so, why would they debrief refugees caught in a natural energy wave about the wave?
    Also had they been debriefed and informed Starfleet, it's more than likely a rescue attempt would have been mounted, god knows why, and Starfleet would then have knowledge of the ribbon and the nexus meaning Picard would have no need to ask Guinan what it was.

There is no in-universe explanation, throwaway lines and retcons happen all the time.

Relics is a boring episode imo anyway, Generations more than overpowers it, awesome TNG-ness, Malcolm McDowell and killing off Kirk...twice.
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    The first main enemy on Voyager lived on a planet with no water...yet they had many large starships with warp drive.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    The first main enemy on Voyager lived on a planet with no water...yet they had many large starships with warp drive.....

I really wouldn't have had a problem if the Kazon had a food shortage and just wanted the replicators.

I had a much harder time buying a water shortage.

Dietary needs are complex.

Water would be simple to manufacture or just plain find.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I really wouldn't have had a problem if the Kazon had a food shortage and just wanted the replicators.

I had a much harder time buying a water shortage.

Dietary needs are complex.

Water would be simple to manufacture or just plain find.
    Not all Kazon sects had issues finding water. Just that one. They actually talked about how they had to trade with other sects to get water. Also... the planet where the met the Kazon was the Ocampa homeworld.

And they didn't invent the ships they used, they stole the tech from the Trabe.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not all Kazon sects had issues finding water. Just that one. They actually talked about how they had to trade with other sects to get water. Also... the planet where the met the Kazon was the Ocampa homeworld.

And they didn't invent the ships they used, they stole the tech from the Trabe.

Yeah, well, all they had to do was conquer a pre-industrial society or uninhabited planet for water.

Voyager, as I recall, also made a comment about tridium or deuterium being rare... and I wish they'd just stuck to made up substances for that kind of thing because we have a pretty good idea what's rare and what isn't.

And in a galaxy as densely populated as Trek, some thing would NEED to be more common than even we think they are or species wouldn't exist.
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, well, all they had to do was conquer a pre-industrial society or uninhabited planet for water.

Or just warp out to the system's Oort cloud, if it was anything like ours it would be made mostly of water and assorted gasses.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Voyager, as I recall, also made a comment about tridium or deuterium being rare... and I wish they'd just stuck to made up substances for that kind of thing because we have a pretty good idea what's rare and what isn't.

And in a galaxy as densely populated as Trek, some thing would NEED to be more common than even we think they are or species wouldn't exist.
    Yeah, it doesn't make much sense, but the Kazon never struck me as a resourceful race. They're basically barbarians with starships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    skhc wrote: »
    Oh boy, I've got a few of these.

"The Changing Face of Evil":
    The Breen come along with their God-mode weapon, use it to destroy an entire fleet, and whilst they're all floating around helplessy in escape pods the Female Changling decides to let them all live. Because it'll be demoralising. Dead officers are less use than demoralised ones, and it only takes one person to deliver the message that they're all screwed anyway. I appreciate the series heroes cannot die, so why put them in a situation that they can only escape from because the series baddie is an idiot?

It was to show her hubris.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    B'Elanna: Get the cheese to sickbay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=circ3_-JJy0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    They don't feel ready personally, they enjoy the lives they have.
    Riker just wanted to hook up with Deanna again. Riker isn't really legendary captain material, he's no Sisko, Picard, Janeway, Archer or even Sulu. Anyone would make a better captain than Kirk, except Wesley, he's just as bad.
    Picard was not going to fly a desk, that would've actually been a blow to Starfleet losing such a good captain at that time (iirc he was offered the position of Commandant of Starfleet Academy in season 1)

Completely stupid.

StarFleet Admiral:
    "Picard, take the Enterprise and patrol the Neutral Zone!"

Captain Picard:
    "I don't feel like it, sir."

StarFleet Admiral:
    "Oh, okay. Then what do you feel like doing today, Captain?"

Incidentally: Kirk>Picard
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

The funny thing about this is that it happens in the corporate world all the time with good resources. It's sometimes better to do something you are good at than get promoted to a position you are not ready for and ultimately fail.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Here's another one.

Riker's primary function for being on the big E, is to assume command, in the event Picard is either killed, or otherwise, incapacitated. This should entail Riker removing himself to another part of the ship, away from Picard, anytime the Captain's life is placed in potential peril. Yet time, and again, when the RA klaxon sounds, Riker plops himself down in the seat right next to Picard. He'd probably sit in Picard's lap, if the Captain let him.

Or this one.

Troi's "Telepathy". Never tells Picard anything useful. Two Romulan warbirds decloak and start pouring everything they have into the Enterprise. Troi's response? "Captain, I'm sensing aggression." Or when Picard talks to an alien, so obviously, overacted, that the audience knows "Okay, this is a shifty guy." Troi's response? "Captain, He's hiding something."
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Troi's "Telepathy". Never tells Picard anything useful. Two Romulan warbirds decloak and start pouring everything they have into the Enterprise. Troi's response? "Captain, I'm sensing aggression." Or when Picard talks to an alien, so obviously, overacted, that the audience knows "Okay, this is a shifty guy." Troi's response? "Captain, He's hiding something."

It got marginally better as the series when on, but obvious Counselor Obvious is obvious. :D
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Anytime somebody mentioned 'saving' the Alpha Quadrant' and all that, in DS9 during the Dominion War, mostly Sisko.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    agradyagrady Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Quantum filaments... just... quantum filaments. Gods I love those.
    Cryptic Voice Actor, USS Starfinder, Gates of Stovokor, ST:Continues, ST:Renegades, ST:Axanar, ST:Shadows of Tyranny, Nobility, Zygerus, Rabbit Moon Show, G&T Show, Trek Radio w/ DJ Deyvid, Subspace Radio w/ DJ Grom, Priority One Podcast, SciMax Radio, Tribbles in Ecstasy, Trek News & Views, Ferengi Alliance Cosplay, ST: Reunion, LARP Alliance
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    agrady wrote: »
    Quantum filaments... just... quantum filaments. Gods I love those.

Don't forget "Coursality loops"
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    STII: WoK

Spock: "...essentially a rock in space"
    Kirk: "And the Reliant could be hiding behind that rock."
    Spock: "A distinct possibility."

And...

Spock: "Jim. Be careful"
    McCoy: "WE WILL."
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Here's another one.

Riker's primary function for being on the big E, is to assume command, in the event Picard is either killed, or otherwise, incapacitated. This should entail Riker removing himself to another part of the ship, away from Picard, anytime the Captain's life is placed in potential peril. Yet time, and again, when the RA klaxon sounds, Riker plops himself down in the seat right next to Picard. He'd probably sit in Picard's lap, if the Captain let him.

Or this one.

I gotta disagree there. She did sometimes figure out more than that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Earth centrism. Why is EARTH, only ONE of the founding worlds of the Federation, the most important planet in the entire quadrant? How many times has Earth been attacked? How many times has the entire Starfleet been called to defend Earth? Why is the executive, legislative, judicial and military based off this one planet? Why is it that the Map of the entire GALAXY is centered around Earth? Humans were relatively LATE to the Star Trekking game. Why do they get to make the rules?

Why do *we* get to live in the Alpha quadrant, for that matter? An Earth-centered Universe of Aristotle and Ptolemy held sway on Western thinking for almost 2000 years. Then, in the 16th century, Copernicus introduced a new Heliocentric System, in which he proposed the Sun, not the Earth, was the center of the Solar System. Still *our* sun, of course. It stands to reason all other alien races developed along similar lines of thinking -- each considering their spot of space the 'Alpha' quandrant (with or without the 'quadrant').

In light of the above, it's strange that all ofter alien races gracefully accept our neck of the woods as the 'Alpha' quadrant.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In general, I don't like the often veiled, but nonetheless insidious intolerance of the entire Star Trek franchise. Alien races are accepted... for their human qualities (or potential to become more human). In fact, Star Trek is very intolerant of everything which doesn't even conform to a narrow American, white picket-fence way of living. Remember how Picard couldn't stand children during the Far Point mission? I liked that. Yet by the end Jean-Luc was found sobbing in his office, telling Troi, in mournful tears, he had never been able to get children. Star Trek accepts the error of other races' way, provided they admit to being in error. Which is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the same as accepting others for who they are. The whole "The needs of the one outway the needs of the few, or the many." was set up for that precise purpose: to disprove the Vulcan logic system in its entirety. Sure, we 'accept' the Vulcan way of doing things, as long as it is made abudantly clear that our way is better.

And lastly, Kirk really dropped the veil entirely, laying bare Star Trek's utter disdain for other races, when he finally told Spock: "You know what?! We're all human!" How arrogant can you get?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Do not diss the greatness that was "Conspiracy"!

It actually was a pretty cool episode. It's unfortuante that the producers decided to rework the antagonists into the Borg and dropped that race entirely.

No they weren't dropped they were just offered better money for working in stargate :P
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Remember how Picard couldn't stand children during the Far Point mission? I liked that. Yet by the end Jean-Luc was found sobbing in his office, telling Troi, in mournful tears, he had never been able to get children.

Yeah that's called character development. It was more than seven years between Far Point and Generations, the man had to be around children for all that time (which he probably never had before as the enterprise having families on board was kind of new), plus, during that time he finally became close with his brother's family including the nephew, which probably made him realize some things about himself.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable