test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if Cryptic used an entire season for just KDF?

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Title says it all. Would you be in support of an entire season being devoted to KDF? What would you like to see if Cryptic did this? What do you think the Pros and Cons would be?
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    +Approval

Pro: Stuff to do on the KDF side

Con: None, even if you're a Fed, you probably have a Klink so go enjoy the content.

Stuff: Ships, costumes, weapons, customization, and last but not least, some FE'ish FE's.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    they won't. I cannot even pretend.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    well, my biggest con would be the godamn UI. I love the BoP, and the kligon side, but the agressive red design just drives me crazy.

all in all, it would do good to the faction, since many would join for the content, but as it offers less than the FED, it might not keep those players (however many would realise, that the klingon side is stronger, so many would also stay).

it would not be good for Cryptic though. the fed side has more players, so if they release something to the other side only, it would not get the equal amount of profit. plus as more players would get on klingon side, more players would find more new bugs (or bugs that are already there, but due to the size of the faction they are ignored)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they did that...
    You'd wake up eventually to find it was all just a nice dream...:D

Shoot, I'd be overjoyed with just a couple new MISSIONS a year for KDF.
    Notice I didn't say new content...because ones idea of content is subjective.
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You'd get a ton of grind, the missions (if any) would be available to both sides (as FE's always are) and yet there would be constant complaints about them being Fed-oriented, no matter what the content of the mission was. I expect there would also be a great deal of complaining and threads titled "Is Cryptic trying to make the last KDF players quit?" no matter how polished the missions may be. Also there would be bugs, and some pieces of equipment would stop working for no particular reason.
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just because we know it will never happen, doesn't mean I can't pretend.

I would be sad. I would much rather see a new attitude develop at PWE's North American Design Studio, formerly known as Cryptic, wherein they value all of their players, fed and klingon alike, and realize "If you build it, they will come." is not untrue in this case.

The KDF content I have played over and over, is the KDF exclusive content. Not even once have I done the KDF side of a storyline mission originally written for Feds (excepting the finales of the FEs during reRun month to get the special items.) I have no desire to rehash a poorly rewritten to kind of make it seem KDF (ish) federation mission as a Klingon (or Gorn or Orion).

The Season I want to see is one that introduces new storyline content with an equal amount spread both to the Fed and KDF, following up on both sides on story threads we still have out there from the content we already have. A season where , if there are new ships, both sides get some awesome ones. A season where an iota of thought is taken to making the experience different between the two sides. ( I mean for example how the new SB Incursion mission has the same dialogue both sides, which is extremely inappropriate KDF side)

I don't need to see them throw an entire season at the KDF to somehow "make up" for the way things have been thus far (yes, go read peregrines history. I have) Instead I want to see a new attitude from PWE's North american Development Company formerly known as Cryptic Studios. Show me that. Don't try and make up for lost time. Just try and make new time ... better ... much better.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would absolutely love that. give them the 50+ UNIQUE episodes they deserve. the costumes that represent all different types of warriors. the character stories for the people we were frickin introduced to in the so called new "Introduction".

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I not really a fan of KDF myself, but I am curious as to how many people would support it, and if anyone would come up with some good ideas for Cryptic to steal. :P

I would be okay with a Klingon season if it was under the guise as a PvP season. Update the maps, queue's, etc.... Add PvP Fleet Actions/STF's/Etc. If we get the Vesta or Ambassador Class (Or somesuch ship). I would be okay with KDF getting everything else.

But Pvp STF's and Fleet actions.... those could be fun...

EDIT: Got Ninja'd by hippiejon. I feel I must mention I like his train of thought. :D
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You'd have a Cataclysm on your hands...
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Season 4?

trololololol
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As a Fed-only player who wants to see a proper KDF tutorial series, true KDF-unique missions and independent full-fledged KDF bundles:

Fine by me.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Title says it all. Would you be in support of an entire season being devoted to KDF? What would you like to see if Cryptic did this? What do you think the Pros and Cons would be?
    The obvious problem is that only a minority of STO players have an active Klingon/KDF character. You would have to question if an entire season dedicated only for a minority is a proper allocation of development funding...
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The obvious problem is that only a minority of STO players have an active Klingon/KDF character. You would have to question if an entire season dedicated only for a minority is a proper allocation of development funding...

Most people say they would play both factions equally if they had equal content:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=288051
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hate to grinch on your parade, but I wouldn't support this. Not as a blanket statement of "Hey, let's roll the crickets tape for the Federation for a couple of months, and release missions for a faction most people just don't care about." There needs to be something to hold people over, the ones who just play Feds at least and don't visit the forum need to know the game isn't just stagnating, or over. So the only way to do something like this is to lose the exclusionary bit..

So yeah, being smart about it would mean doing something like this as part of a PvP expansion, a season focused on the KDF-Federation conflict. That would introduce some elements that are shared between the factions, PvP maps, sector PvP (I can hope, can't I), KDF and Fed doff assignments that can clash, and as for the story end of it, that can be done mostly (90%) on the KDF side. Think a KDF story arc where all of the sudden the Federation's the aggressor, and where over the course of a number of missions you and your band of sm- valiant sav- heroes will do a reverse "Divide et Impera" and carve your way through the obligatory hundreds of red Starfleet jammies, and maybe a rival house that's in league with them, to piece together the clues, that the Federation had an Iconian all of their own pushing their (Drake's?) buttons, causing them to act on false intel. (I'm thinking one of the PvP maps could be a KDF raid on the SFC/the academy.) With just one Fed or shared mission at the tail-end just so we get to know what just happened, unless that can be done in some other way. FA, STF, PSA at the end of that PvP map when the Klingons win. ("The Klingons breached SFC and found Franky lurking with the wrong shadows!")

As for the Vesta and Ambassador... that's not content. Not by a long shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Pro KDF hmm well if i were the Devs i would still incorperate the otherside and i have a way and the means to do it.

As stated in the leading up the 2409 cutscene narrated by Spock after the Super Nova at the Hobus Star System the Klingons decide to do a little mischeif as invade the Romulans since as we all heard time and again from Worf....he loathes them with every Prune juice shot he knocks back and so do the other Klingons.

Since the Klingons now have to worry about us and the Borg the Romulans have an ample oppertunity to well get a little revenge. By now the Romulans are pissed, the Remans have risen up, Sela and the Tal Shiar are in a Night of the Long Knifes conflict and are loosing big time, and the Hirogen are being well Hirogen. The Iconians are a lost cause and with the resurgence of the Tholians (another Romulan enemy) So guess who they take it out on.....the Klingons.

In true Romulan fashion its slow but thats where the story missions comes in ( PVE). Showing how they place seeds of decent among the warriors of Our Freindly Neighborhood Empre. Even though J'mpok is Duras which allied itself with the pointy eared losers in the Klingon Civil War (TNG: Redemption Pt. 1 & 2) they are so blinded by fury and beaten so many times they could care less if Duras wins or loses. So they play to both sides. During this time the player (KDF) will have to pick waring sides ( in a all KDF season). Duras v Martok, both are being influenced by the Romulans which play to both of there heart strings. Duras has the old times stick where they hate Martok and Worf's guts and put a little sympathy for the Duras sisters.. TNG Anniversery add in LOL. Then you have Martok or rather his son getting fed the Dominoun War alliance story so both are gullible to take it. The Romulans ultimate goal is mass chaos of the Empire, and Jmpoks demise. The opposition side uses the Jmpok is out of control reason for going to war with a little persuasion from RSE Imperial agents. The Klingon Spring is on... and it gets nasty very fast in true Klingon fashion.

The Federation being the sweethearts we are decide to aid the Klingon people but opt not to get involved militarly being it may escalate the war we currently have with them. Freighers begin pouring in giving food and supplies to both sides refugees. For the Romulans this is icing on the Polomek Cake. Not only did they sucker the Klingons in they got the Federation involved too and since we helped the Remans gain freedom from Romulans, despite Preator Schizon's actions against the Senate and Donatra's once Olive banch the Romulans say "the more the merrier. So the "pro-Jmpok side' begins to target them and claims fair game in the current war in Klingon Territory. Which gives the Federation all more reason take the man down who started the Klingon-Fed war in first place. So we try and dodge as many buleets while keeping the peace throughout the bloodshed with a cliff hanger for the next season. (and more time for writers to add more to it)

Thats my idea in a nutshell the KDF season should be called: Highway to Grethor you can add NPCs too from both sides and well know canon characters too like Data who was Captian of the USS Sutherland (Nebula class) in the original conflict in TNG. Expand Federation and Klingon access to both territories too while your at it PWE :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • surek2surek2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lets Keep Star Trek true the Star Trek. I'd rather see more missions geared to the Star trek that we have all seen over the past years
  • surek2surek2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lets keep Star Trek true to Star Trek...Lets see more missions based on the series.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    surek2 wrote: »
    Lets keep Star Trek true to Star Trek...Lets see more missions based on the series.

Klingons aren't a part of star trek?
  • podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You all keep up talk like this, you know what's going to happen.

Klingon Lock Box with a chance to win a D7 or a stolen Connie.
    Klingon Doff Pack.
    Klingon C-Store Bundle.
    Klingon Dilithium and Lobi additions.

And they'll nerf 10 things you love, and overpower 3 things you'll learn to hate.

Maybe they'll give you a nice "hit the targ with the painstick" minigame.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    KDF theme? YES.

kDF exclusive? I would fear for the survival of the game and the jobs of all involved.
    edited August 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    So yeah, being smart about it would mean doing something like this as part of a PvP expansion, a season focused on the KDF-Federation conflict. That would introduce some elements that are shared between the factions, PvP maps, sector PvP (I can hope, can't I), KDF and Fed doff assignments that can clash, and as for the story end of it, that can be done mostly (90%) on the KDF side.

It was just a gross simplification.

I would love to see a PvP sector. Highly amusing that would be. I would love to see PvP maps with objectives, environmental hazards and unique rewards and other goodies. But that's discussion for another thread. What I want to know is how many people would support a full season devoted to the idea, rather than updates every now and then.
    edited August 2012
    KDF theme? YES.

kDF exclusive? I would fear for the survival of the game and the jobs of all involved.

That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to know what ideas people had.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Actually a KDF-centric series where the Feds are the ones with the out of place dialogue could be interesting.

They did do similar story-lines in TNG.
  • nerehtnert7512nerehtnert7512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    +Approval

Pro: Stuff to do on the KDF side

Con: None, even if you're a Fed, you probably have a Klink so go enjoy the content.

Stuff: Ships, costumes, weapons, customization, and last but not least, some FE'ish FE's.

Heck yeah!

Season 7 KDF, Season 8 Romulans, Season 9 Dominion, etc....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • victorstellavictorstella Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That is the best idea I've ever read on this forum. I have 1 KDF character and prefer Federation, but I would gladly give up a whole season to make KDF worth a damn. The concern over Federation only players not being happy or perceiving the game as stagnating is a reasonable concern. I would propose alleviating this with either some kind of drop box event or perhaps an officer exchange program through Omega Force where Federation characters can pick any Klingon vessel for STF missions for the duration of that season. Damn I wish Dan Stahl would see this thread.
    edited August 2012
    That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to know what ideas people had.

Here's mine off the top of my head:

2 mission chains. One focusing on J'mpok and Worf's issues, one focusing on what happened to the half-Klingon/Half-Romulans and dealing with their role in both the Klingon and Romulan state of affairs as they side with Obisek.

Melee combat revamp/retuning, with Bat'leths getting love and mek'leths being added.

Melee Invasion zone, spotlighting a Gorn Rebellion. (The Gorn have activated phased weapon inhibitors to give themselves an edge.) (Coinciding with a Gorn lockbox that includes Gorndog consumable pets, Gorndog pups, TOS Gorn uniform for Lobi in standard form and with a "sexy cavewoman" two piece variant.)

Later in the season, a Vulcanoid Rebellion emphasizing Lirpas, about a world of Vulcan/Romulan cousins who Orions have experimented on with a pheromone weapon, sending them into permanent, constant, unquenchable Ponn Farr. (Reuse of the Amok Time theme.)

Ground and space Fek'Ihri fleet missions on the PvE queue that award fleet marks.

New Loresinger DOff commendation category with CXP also added to the lore dailies, with thematic DOffs both as KDF Klingons and Starfleet Klingons, with a slew of Klingon-themed titles and perks and a really awesome ultra-rare Bat'leth for completing it.

Perks added to several commendation categories for both Fed and KDF.

Revamped Undine STFs with EDC awards that add new MACO/Honor Guard/Omega Force variants. Also, streamlined and revamped STF store interface.

Klingon-Cardassian Alliance uniform pack. A slight redress of the Bajoran uniform (look at Mirror Odo's look: different fabric type and the color mask adjusted for piping on the shoulder pieces), Intendant's Uniform, Cardassian Uniform with KCA badge (unremovable)-- all available for BOTH factions as a special dropdown uniform type with KCA badge for normal uniforms as well... maybe with a Mirror Bajoran Disruptor weapon for around 1500 ZEN.

I'd also look at releasing a KCA B'rel Bird of Prey (for Klingons) and a Bajoran Assault Vessel (for Feds) which feature Spiral Wave Quad Cannons (and as an added perk, this can be equipped on a Galor) (The lockboxes would feature spiral wave weapons for ground and space, much like the phased tetryon weapons in the current one.)

Just to make the character art team go nuts, I'd look at making the Klingon-Romulan Hybrid series reward a Klingon-Romulan hybrid costume. (On TNG, the hybrids didn't wear either but I think a combo themed uniform would rock.)
    edited August 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Actually a KDF-centric series where the Feds are the ones with the out of place dialogue could be interesting.

They did do similar story-lines in TNG.

I think there's plenty of room for this, especially if D'Vak or Worf act as the prime contact and draw the Feds to participate in what is primarily a KDF-style story.
    edited August 2012
    <snip>

Make It So.
  • startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Would this include episodes 1 to 20 and opening up KDF play directly without having to go Fed first?
    edited August 2012
    startux wrote: »
    Would this include episodes 1 to 20 and opening up KDF play directly without having to go Fed first?

Maybe. We're brainstorming.