test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if Cryptic used an entire season for just KDF?

Comments

• bloctoadbloctoad Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Mayans were right. The Dec 21, 2012 Season 7 KDF patch causes the end of the world.
    Jack Emmert: "Starfleet and Klingon. ... So two factions, full PvE content."
    Al Rivera hates Klingons
    Star Trek Online: Agents of Jack Emmert
    All cloaks should be canon.
  • srgtburglarsrgtburglar Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "Is Cryptic trying to make the last KDF players quit?" .
    To quote Admiral Cartwright from Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

Klingons will become the alien trash of the galaxy

Perhaps this is Cryptic/ Perfect World's thinking as well :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Opening a lockbox is like using a public restroom when u gotta poo.
    You are just hoping nobody blew on the seat or that all the toilet paper is gone.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would love a KDF Season, No to any other faction untill both Fed and KDF have atleast 200 hours of explorable areas and missions each.

KDF, Why no one plays it, KDF has no content, guess what? If KDF had 50 more missions, 10 more ships and better story lines, People would play KDF!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Just because we know it will never happen, doesn't mean I can't pretend.

I would be sad. I would much rather see a new attitude develop at PWE's North American Design Studio, formerly known as Cryptic, wherein they value all of their players, fed and klingon alike, and realize "If you build it, they will come." is not untrue in this case.

The KDF content I have played over and over, is the KDF exclusive content. Not even once have I done the KDF side of a storyline mission originally written for Feds (excepting the finales of the FEs during reRun month to get the special items.) I have no desire to rehash a poorly rewritten to kind of make it seem KDF (ish) federation mission as a Klingon (or Gorn or Orion).

The Season I want to see is one that introduces new storyline content with an equal amount spread both to the Fed and KDF, following up on both sides on story threads we still have out there from the content we already have. A season where , if there are new ships, both sides get some awesome ones. A season where an iota of thought is taken to making the experience different between the two sides. ( I mean for example how the new SB Incursion mission has the same dialogue both sides, which is extremely inappropriate KDF side)

I don't need to see them throw an entire season at the KDF to somehow "make up" for the way things have been thus far (yes, go read peregrines history. I have) Instead I want to see a new attitude from PWE's North american Development Company formerly known as Cryptic Studios. Show me that. Don't try and make up for lost time. Just try and make new time ... better ... much better.

Even if Cryptic were to take a new direction and evenly spread attention across both factions, there will always be that definite gap that the KDF isn't a complete faction compared to the Federation.

The fact that you have to be higher level now to unlock KDF gameplay compared to when the game came out should speak volumes. There's ships in the low tiers of the KDF shipyard that are completely unused now due to the shift in minimum levels.

This is undeniable: The KDF since even before the game went live was behind in development. That was shown with how pathetic the faction was when STO went live. It was either PVP or "Kahless Expanse."

Cryptic needs to put in time to make the KDF faction a full-faction experience. Start right away as a KDF character from the very beginning, with content and things to do all the way into level cap. No gaps like there are now. No cheap missions that were blatantly and clearly originally designed with the Federation in mind (those missions disgust me).

The playstyle, the theme of both factions need to be very clearly defined and different. But that doesn't start until Cryptic actually makes STO a true multi-factioned game. Otherwise things will always be slanted towards the more heavily developed Federation, no matter how much more "even" in development they become.

The KDF needs to be caught up in development. Period. That's where I stand.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Adding some more missions would be great and i'd be happy to see it, but i just worry that what ever they add wont be enough. people are saying add missions 1-20. i doubt they can add 20 missions in one season. by their own admission each mission is at least 2 weeks to make (and sometimes more if they are complex). to make 20 missions we are talking nearly a years worth of work. they certainly wont and probably should not devote that much time to it.

realistically for a season we would be talking maybe 10 episodes, plus a few other bits and pieces, like ships and costumes etc. so if we are going to ask for a season devoted to the KDF then we also need to acknowledge that the amount produced will be in keeping with what we have had before. they have increased their dev team in size so perhaps that will speed up the process and we can start to expect a higher return but even so there are still only so many content guys. perhaps 10 can become 15 but its still going to be 10-15 hours of content.

someone above wants 200 hours of playable content per faction. thats a fantastic goal but there is not 200 hours of playable content in the entire game that has been developing for 4-5 years. they are not going to spring another 200 out of nowhere.

be realistic or its just wishful thinking and serves no purpose. there is no point expecting more if there is no way it will ever realistically happen.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    One whole season devoted to KDF?

That would leave the other 80% of the player base in limbo with nothing new to enjoy OR spend money on.

That would leave Cryptic in a financial bind with substantially reduced income over those 5-7 months because the resources needed to keep the 80% interested and spending money would otherwise be devoted to content that might be enjoyed by the 20% of the player base/trekkies/trekkers that actually like the Klingon story and want to play KDF.

If the Klingon story fanatics could manage to persuade 30-35% of the player base or even outside trekkies/trekkers to become interested in the Klingon story, then I could understand the logic behind committing the development resources necessary to add a significant amount of content focused solely on the KDF.

But that won't happen. The majority of the player base is not interested in the Klingon story. The majority of the trekkies/trekkers are not interested in the Klingon story. They are not interested in any other factional story. They are interested in the Fed story.

Even if there were to be a whole brand new MMORPG developed and focused completely on and exclusively to the Klingon story, there would still not be the necessary public interest to generate enough income to make the endeavor profitable.

I don't care how much Cryptic builds out the Klingon faction, or any other faction for that matter, as none of them will ever generate the necessary interest from the general public to make the effort worthwhile and financially profitable.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    pyryck wrote: »

That would leave the other 80% of the player base in limbo with nothing new to enjoy OR spend money on.

That would leave Cryptic in a financial bind with substantially reduced income over those 5-7 months because the resources needed to keep the 80% interested and spending money would otherwise be devoted to content that might be enjoyed by the 20% of the player base/trekkies/trekkers that actually like the Klingon story and want to play KDF.

If the Klingon story fanatics could manage to persuade 30-35% of the player base or even outside trekkies/trekkers to become interested in the Klingon story, then I could understand the logic behind committing the development resources necessary to add a significant amount of content focused solely on the KDF.

But that won't happen. The majority of the player base is not interested in the Klingon story. The majority of the trekkies/trekkers are not interested in the Klingon story. They are not interested in any other factional story. They are interested in the Fed story.

Even if there were to be a whole brand new MMORPG developed and focused completely on and exclusively to the Klingon story, there would still not be the necessary public interest to generate enough income to make the endeavor profitable.

I don't care how much Cryptic builds out the Klingon faction, or any other faction for that matter, as none of them will ever generate the necessary interest from the general public to make the effort worthwhile and financially profitable.

And if it's a season where Feds and KDF participate equally in the Klingon story?
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Even though I'm not a fan of KDF, They should dedicate a full season to them. Flesh them out fully.

This game has the ability to be somethig great.

Hell if they fully flesh out the KDF, how about adding a Romulan faction? and another faction?

Only AFTER! the KDF is fleshed out.

Guessing the Romulans will be Science oriented
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Actually, one opportunity to create additional KDF content would be a rollout of the Romulan faction.

Before anybody accuses me of trying to derail the thread, hear me out.

There's no way in heck Cryptic will devote an entire season to KDF, much as it needs it.

But by introducing the Romulans as a bigger factor in the game, it would open up lots of potential storylines for both the KDF and the Feds. One single plot could be explored from three different sides. New options for PvP, etc.

That said, I would also like to see more purely KDF content. Every little bit enriches the flavor of the game.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012

You mean like season 6 for non-fleet players?

I'm in favour of that. I have 4 KDF chars and only two of them have reached lieutenant-general by now.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm pretty sure a whole season devoted to the KDF would only enrage and infuriate the vocal KDF players on the forums... all that "content" would be overwhelming to pick apart as being sub-par to whatever the dev team developed over the last two years that is not played by people who focus only on one faction in the game...

Sarcasm aside... most "Seasons" aren't about content but new gimmicks in gameplay. Season 6 didn't introduce a lot of new things to do, just new ways to do them with a handful of grindy missions included to showcase their new "tech".
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    never will happen that would just make the feds mad lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • startuxstartux Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Adding some more missions would be great and i'd be happy to see it, but i just worry that what ever they add wont be enough. people are saying add missions 1-20. i doubt they can add 20 missions in one season. by their own admission each mission is at least 2 weeks to make (and sometimes more if they are complex). to make 20 missions we are talking nearly a years worth of work. they certainly wont and probably should not devote that much time to it.

If you listen to the recent podcast by where Kestrel is interviewed it seems they already have missions made, so the two week per mission won't likely be so much of a factor. The biggest time sink may not be making the missions, but the whole integration/testing phase and honestly, how do we know it hasn't been worked on when and where they can? Certainly been hinted at in the past.

I actually think it was a good idea in starting the KDF at level 21 as it stands now, previously level 6 it was a confusing mess more so than now imho...

Despite the past I look forward to seeing the future of KDF/STO, to have survived through the turmoil the company went through is no small feat, but these changes won't ever happen overnight.
  • rasa1ghu1rasa1ghu1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Title says it all. Would you be in support of an entire season being devoted to KDF? What would you like to see if Cryptic did this? What do you think the Pros and Cons would be?

1st sry for mi english.

_ Irealy wish that but ... i have no hope oin that :( , love the Kdf but some times i get frustated for bugs and the eternal time to dev team take to fix 1 (and broke 3 more stuff) give KDF some love please .

_ mi heart is kdf but so many ppl get back to fed since S6 because they see kdf very limited in options and kdf get more bugs with S6, if kdf have a small more amount of free ship to chose, like a real klingon scie ship (dont come to mi with klingon has no scie ship en tv series the Vorcha is a multi role ship changing his front pod fort scie misions also)

_This game have a lot of potencial but god know why dev dont use that and cover the players with lock boxes (they want many is ok by mi) but give the player a reason to keep playing please!!!!!!! our love for star trek cant be the unique reason for play here.

_sry if some get offended but i have to say what i feel
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can't even dream anymore, I've been beaten into submission by the fed fanboys on this forum:

The Klingons homworld is gone, the empire has less that 50 years left, The Federation has been infiltrated by Romulans who enact a sterilization project against the Klingons and their allies. They deploy Genesis devices into every system where Klingons and their allies reside- destroying them all.

The Federation then decides to purge the universe of Borg, they deploy their timeships 10000 years in the past to the Borg homeworld and wipe them out. On return to present day Earth an accidential deployment of a genesis device destroys Sol system and the remnants of the Federation rejoyces that all of the enemies of peace are now gone.

Romulans win, game over.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited August 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I can't even dream anymore, I've been beaten into submission by the fed fanboys on this forum:

The Klingons homworld is gone, the empire has less that 50 years left, The Federation has been infiltrated by Romulans who enact a sterilization project against the Klingons and their allies. They deploy Genesis devices into every system where Klingons and their allies reside- destroying them all.

The Federation then decides to purge the universe of Borg, they deploy their timeships 10000 years in the past to the Borg homeworld and wipe them out. On return to present day Earth an accidential deployment of a genesis device destroys Sol system and the remnants of the Federation rejoyces that all of the enemies of peace are now gone.

Romulans win, game over.

for the star empire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What a waste of development time. Now had you proposed a whole season to Romulans, that would be entirely different than catering to space ogres.
    edited August 2012
    aexrael wrote: »
    What a waste of development time. Now had you proposed a whole season to Romulans, that would be entirely different than catering to space ogres.

this!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2012
    Speaking as primarily a fed player , id personally LOVE for them to do a full season on KDF , we get all the new toys , and thats wrong .

It'd give them a chance to flesh out the early leveling 1-20 , more ships , more races , more costumes , they need it all

DO IT cryptic
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Title says it all. Would you be in support of an entire season being devoted to KDF? What would you like to see if Cryptic did this? What do you think the Pros and Cons would be?

I would love to see this happen so they could close the doors on the whole " KDF is unfinished" debacle.

I fear it would never happen due to some fed hissy fits over the idea and general unacceptance by many of those same feds that we fans desire a complete level of factional play in STO and that such is as important to the life of STO as any content added in the past or to be added in the future.

If it did happen though I would love to see;

A turtorial that actually prepares the player for the storyline of STO and why the EMpire is at odds with the feds in it due to the disagrement over the Undine and our Empiral move to retake both Khitomer, Cestus colony and other system we deemed open for conquest.

A short 4-5 mission run on how the Gorn are adapting to life in service to the Empire and even on how a rebellion effort may be in the works (which could lead to a future FE or STF) Since the nausicians where mercs to the Gorn they simply travel along in thier wake.

A short 4-5 Mission on why the Orions sided with the EMpire and what they may have at works to subvert us over time with thier female/ male wiles. Possibly openi g the doors for another FE/STF series.

A better representation missionwise as to how the Empire is attempting to out the Undine in STO and how the player is involved.

A series of simple Patrol style conquest and system control missions similiar to what the feds have to fill the empty spots in progression.

A series of simple missions on the house versus house conflicts that exist in Klingon politics with a possible chance to design yet again another endgame STF.

A series of simple open storyline missions that just show the day to day life in service to the Empire to help immerse the player into being a KDF player.

I would expect all STF concepts to be faction agnostic and open to endgame play to anyone with a corresponding storyline.

The I say let Kestrel have free reign on what she wishes to bring to the KDF that could fill any of my simple ideas.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    aexrael wrote: »

What so waste a whole season of development on "Space Elve's"...........:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
    edited August 2012
    dank65 wrote: »
    What so waste a whole season of development on "Space Elve's"...........:D

then vulcans are the same better to be a space elf then a space dog :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    If it did happen though I would love to see;

{snip}

The I say let Kestrel have free reign on what she wishes to bring to the KDF that could fill any of my simple ideas.

I like every single one of those things you mentioned.

I listened to the interview with Kestrel and liked what she had to say. I'd like to see more of her ideas realized in the game.

I, too, would like Cryptic to take a more story-oriented approach to content design. STO could really come alive if they took this seriously. "Systems" are the "muscles" of the game that keep us moving and it's pretty important, but it also gets pretty ugly without the "skin" of a story to flesh out the game.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    then vulcans are the same better to be a space elf then a dog :P

The only thing I can say is if you want Rommies in the game and not as just a ship or two
    in lockbox's then you probably want to get on the Klingon bandwagon because there will
    never be a Rommie faction unless they get more people to play klingon which is going to take more content because from what Ive seen there are even less people wanting to play
    Romulans than there are playiing Klingons.

So even if you had anywhere near the people playing Romulans as there are playing Klingons they still wouldnt be worth the time or resources since it seems the Klingons
    are not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
    edited August 2012
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    well, my biggest con would be the godamn UI.
    They could add color options to both factions UI
    if they release something to the other side only
    Only the missing low level KDF missions would be KDF only. The STF ideas could easily be agnostic add endgame gameply for all factions, just with a nod more to the KDF player than the fed.
    You'd get a ton of grind, the missions (if any) would be available to both sidesAlso
    I would love to have more grind options for the KDF to fill in the lower missing levels so I could start alts at one and enjoy a story set to the KDF as I climb to endgame. There would be no need for the lower level KDF missiosn to be agnostic as the feds lower levels are not agnostic though the STF ideas that could spawn from these new missions could easily become endgame STF and therefore open to all. Thus adding to the endgame options as a whole.

there would be bugs, and some pieces of equipment would stop working for no particular reason
    Something always breask when new content is brought into game. Why would this be any different?
    Most people say they would play both factions equally if they had equal content:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=288051

Yet funny and sad how many, even in this thread, keep pushing the " But the kdf is a minority so why bother?" aproach when this poll shows that many fed player have an alt.
    They refuse to believe that a full KDF faction and story within STO would lead to more people playing the KDF if for nothing more than something different to do when thier feds begin to bore them for a while.
    It would even, no doubt in my mind, bring older players back to STO that long since gave up due to the favortism that they saw for the last two years.
    Klingons aren't a part of star trek?
    Funny how Star Trek fans preach acceptance but segregate thier fellow fans. Evidently the number of Klingon centered episodes through the genre where illusions of a deluded fanbase that sprang forth from nothing.
    KDF theme? YES.

kDF exclusive? I would fear for the survival of the game and the jobs of all involved.
    Only the low level content need be KDF exclusive to complete the faction. Any endgame content would remain agnostic and open to all and just have a KDF overtone.That way no one at endgame feels left out.

Not if the endgame content derived from such an expansion was agnostic with a KDF overtone

The chance for STO to grow for both the KDF fana and all players at endgame is an opportunity that Cryptic should not waste.

R.I.P
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »

I listened to the interview with Kestrel and liked what she had to say. I'd like to see more of her ideas realized in the game.

I, too, would like Cryptic to take a more story-oriented approach to content design. STO could really come alive if they took this seriously. "Systems" are the "muscles" of the game that keep us moving and it's pretty important, but it also gets pretty ugly without the "skin" of a story to flesh out the game.

A - f-ing - men.
    We need story and substance in STO not gimmicks and items to buy for no other purpose than to show off to others.
    Completion of teh KDF, adding KDF overtoned STF content would only help STOs ability to draw in players
    And then they could work upon the Romulans.

R.I.P
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm full in support of this dea.
  • cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I love the KDF, and i would love to see more focus on it. but an entire season would be silly. Maybe most of a season but defo not everything. 1/3 pure KDF (1-25) content, the rest removing all the walls between the sector blocks and the exploration clusters. :P
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »

Agreed wholeheartedly. They are doing a great job enhancing systems and such, but we need story to bring it all together and give it purpose.

I play mostly Federation and believe that faction needs expanded story as well, but KDF is my change of pace that would get more playtime (and probably lead to more character slots :) ) if they had more story arcs.
  • keppabar42keppabar42 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I prefer the style of the KDF, so more to actually do on their side would be ideal. However I don't expect it'd ever happen that they got a major update exclusivly for them. if they did all the fed fans would scream their heads off, and the KDF players would all die of shock! LOL