test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if Cryptic used an entire season for just KDF?

Comments

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oddly, what has caused a drop in KDF players since before launch was a lack of content, disagreement over its direction/purpose and the overall level of being overlooked often as useless to invest in, a stigmata that the KDf has lived under ever since. Granted we have gotten better since launch but not by much or in a healthy direction.
    One of the biggest gripes for feds who do not play KDF as an option I see on the forums is the lack of content.

They worked to add more for the feds when they cried about lack of content over the dry spells but the KDF which has seen only marginal growth in content to its current state is not worth the effort of completing?

yeah, thats fair to the fanbase. :P:P:P
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think it will be very good indeed.
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a Targ!

....with a jetpack! :D

But it only gets jetpack if you buy a Pet Upgrade Module.

Only 700 zen !

Buy now! We rove u rong time!
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There was ONE interview in which a Dev stated that they were going to try and do full content for KDF, but after that there were several (including posts by devs in the forums) that said that after they took a look at it, they realized it couldn't be done.

Why? Because it would require them to go back and recode EVERY mission in the game. It isn't just changing the word Federation to Klingon Empire, as the motivation of a Fed character is different than the motivation of a KDF player. Feds will come to the aid of a planet facing raiders, whereas Klingons are likely to BE the raiders. Completely different mission.

THe sheer expense of that endeavor is prohibitive. It would be re-writing every story they have ever written.

And yes, they HAVE said many many times since then that it just isn't going to happen (the forums have a search feature, feel free to use it).
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There was ONE interview in which a Dev stated that they were going to try and do full content for KDF, but after that there were several (including posts by devs in the forums) that said that after they took a look at it, they realized it couldn't be done.

Why? Because it would require them to go back and recode EVERY mission in the game. It isn't just changing the word Federation to Klingon Empire, as the motivation of a Fed character is different than the motivation of a KDF player. Feds will come to the aid of a planet facing raiders, whereas Klingons are likely to BE the raiders. Completely different mission.

THe sheer expense of that endeavor is prohibitive. It would be re-writing every story they have ever written.

And yes, they HAVE said many many times since then that it just isn't going to happen (the forums have a search feature, feel free to use it).

It should have been released with both factions on equal footing. If they can't rework fed missions to work for Klingons, then they go back and make new missions.

I think the general consensus from Klingon players is that they are really just not very sympathetic to Cryptic's telling them "It's too hard to go back and fix it" when it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

As for the devs saying it won't happen, so? I don't think that's going to stop anyone from pushing for it. I liken it to a minor wound. We can ignore it and let it go away, or we can keep picking at it until Cryptic has to respond for fear of infection. :D
    A half faction is no faction at all.
    edited August 2012

BS, the interviews stated that the game had more pressing concerns as at one point the playerbase was only at mid level and needed agnostic content to keep them occupied. Later it was the same because the playerbase was at endgame and things to keep them occupied took precedence. Both reason periods backed by the excuse the KDF playerbase was too small and the majorities happiness took precedence.

The whole "rewrite, recode of the games missions" to give the KDF content would be prohibitive was only an excuse if the Dev went the route of trying to mirror the existing fed missions to allow KDF to play them.
    Such a rewrite of those missions for the KDF is not needed
    to complete our faction. Only thing we need is our on stories to fill our missing levels.

So yeah, a rewrite is stupid and why KDF only new missions would be simplier.

Besides, I dont need search. As i said ive been here all along and know what has been said about the KDF. Many reasons and excuses have been given but the Devs have never ever ever said they have quit on the KDF.
    NO MATTER HOW MANY FEDDIES WANT TO MAKE US BELIEVE IT.

R.I.P
    edited August 2012
    The idea of the Devs doing a little intense KDF content (maybe 10 missing level missions and a KDF centric STF or two) would be good. It would help quiet the KDF displeasure for a while, get us closer to being finished.

They can always go back to feeding feds at anytime they start to hear some of you all cry.

It baffles me how selfishly some fans defend ignoring the KDF when two full factions will only grow the popularity on the game.

R.I.P
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Oh, cause using premade sets is harder than making NEW MISSIONS!!! :rolleyes:
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As I understood it, the Dev's pretty much said that the KDF will never be a full blown faction. Even though at the beginning they did say it would be and I agree they have since backtracked on that.

Having said that of course, I doubt the dedicated KDF players will stop asking for it to be done however.

While, I wouldn't mind it if the KDF was a full faction I have to wonder if it is really needed for STO. Personally, I don't think so. (My own opinion). Admittedly I think it should have been a full faction at the start but since it wasn't and isn't I kind of enjoy the fact that it is a half faction and can sort of see the design intent. I wouldn't mind of they did the Romulan faction the same way with it starting at level 25.

Here is my personal reasoning why;

First off, it would keep and does keep us, (players) from having to grind the lower levels. While I am sure it would pass quickly it still keeps us from having to deal with the lower levels. My KDF main started when you could start a KDF toon at level 6 and it was quite the pain. Second, it allows us to participate in end game quicker as there is at least some mission content and isn't all pvp like it used to be. Third it allows the players to enjoy the middle to upper content (what there is of it.) with out having to be bogged down in the minutia till end game where builds and such are much more important. Lastly, to me it is just as much fun starting at 25 and going to 50 as it does starting at level 1.

Overall, I feel that Cryptic has limited resources for whatever reason and I would rather they focus those resources in areas where the most can be gained from it. By using half factions it is possible to get other factions into the game. Maybe Romulan, or eventually Cardassian and perhaps others. If that is indeed the case then I can support half factions.
    edited August 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    The idea of the Devs doing a little intense KDF content (maybe 10 missing level missions and a KDF centric STF or two) would be good. It would help quiet the KDF displeasure for a while, get us closer to being finished.

They can always go back to feeding feds at anytime they start to hear some of you all cry.

It baffles me how selfishly some fans defend ignoring the KDF when two full factions will only grow the popularity on the game.

I'm mainly a Fed player and I would be okay with that. Besides, like I said before, we could just redress a lot of the Fed missions and tell them from a Klingon perspective. (They wanted to do that anyway, this would be a good moment to do it, plus it would be fun)

That is true, while KDFers can play STFs they still do feel like Federation missions... An STF that goes the opposite way, made for Klingons but Feds can participate sounds like a more than welcome addition in my humble opinion. :D
    edited August 2012
    Oh, cause using premade sets is harder than making NEW MISSIONS!!! :rolleyes:

Using old sets for new stories would seem easier than rewrite old stories to new perspective.

R.I.P
    edited August 2012
    Using old sets for new stories would seem easier than rewrite old stories to new perspective.

Not really... We know what happens, just fill in the blanks for the other side. It worked for Rosencrance and Gildenstern are Dead.
    edited August 2012
    atomicfb wrote: »
    As I understood it, the Dev's pretty much said that the KDF will never be a full blown faction. Even though at the beginning they did say it would be and I agree they have since backtracked on that.

Having said that of course, I doubt the dedicated KDF players will stop asking for it to be done however.

While, I wouldn't mind it if the KDF was a full faction I have to wonder if it is really needed for STO. Personally, I don't think so. (My own opinion). Admittedly I think it should have been a full faction at the start but since it wasn't and isn't I kind of enjoy the fact that it is a half faction and can sort of see the design intent. I wouldn't mind of they did the Romulan faction the same way with it starting at level 25.

Here is my personal reasoning why;

First off, it would keep and does keep us, (players) from having to grind the lower levels. While I am sure it would pass quickly it still keeps us from having to deal with the lower levels. My KDF main started when you could start a KDF toon at level 6 and it was quite the pain. Second, it allows us to participate in end game quicker as there is at least some mission content and isn't all pvp like it used to be. Third it allows the players to enjoy the middle to upper content (what there is of it.) with out having to be bogged down in the minutia till end game where builds and such are much more important. Lastly, to me it is just as much fun starting at 25 and going to 50 as it does starting at level 1.

Overall, I feel that Cryptic has limited resources for whatever reason and I would rather they focus those resources in areas where the most can be gained from it. By using half factions it is possible to get other factions into the game. Maybe Romulan, or eventually Cardassian and perhaps others. If that is indeed the case then I can support half factions.

Well they could create several level agnostic storyline missions for the KDF only that increases our content, helps flesh out our place ingame that a KDF player could enjoy at any level as they grind from 25 and up.
    That fact is the KDF needs content to help its growth and draw players. Not to mention all players spend money in one form or another on STO and having a half faction does not promote spending.

R.I.P
    edited August 2012
    So, no more input on this idea?

R.I.P
  • tdon7tdon7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So, no more input on this idea?

Oh I have some. :)

One of the things I would like to see as far as early missions is the Player establishing a minor house in the Klingon Empire (Or being adopted in to one if a non-Klingon), an Introduction to Klingon Politics (Relations between the KDF and Gorn Hegemony and others), A story-based Primer on the Klingon sense of Honor and how it pertains to the current galactic climate, and more on the Undine infiltrations and how the KDF is dealing with it.

All of these possibilities for mission arcs could well be level agnostic.
    A half faction is no faction at all.
  • criminiuscriminius Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This thread is roach bait. That said, roach already had some. Stop giving roach hope, he's close to the dark side I can feel it.

Tbh, I would rather see PvP content which was meant for the kdf in the first place.
    edited August 2012
    tdon7 wrote: »
    Oh I have some. :)

One of the things I would like to see as far as early missions is the Player establishing a minor house in the Klingon Empire (Or being adopted in to one if a non-Klingon), an Introduction to Klingon Politics (Relations between the KDF and Gorn Hegemony and others), A story-based Primer on the Klingon sense of Honor and how it pertains to the current galactic climate, and more on the Undine infiltrations and how the KDF is dealing with it.

All of these possibilities for mission arcs could well be level agnostic.

Ooo.... that is a good idea! I like it!
    criminius wrote: »
    This thread is roach bait. That said, roach already had some. Stop giving roach hope, he's close to the dark side I can feel it.

Tbh, I would rather see PvP content which was meant for the kdf in the first place.

That is one of the things i'm asking for. :P
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2012

They'd probably still be short a bunch of content?
    kDF exclusive? I would fear for the survival of the game and the jobs of all involved.

The game has already survived a year long drought (while it was a SUBSCRIPTION game). Inflated CStore prices. P2W. Lockboxes. Near universal monetization.

If none of that killed the game then investing in the KDF won't either. Especially since Dstahl hasn't written off the Romulans yet apparently. If he still believes he can develop a third faction I have trouble believing that finishing the second is an impossibility.

And now that everyone has a minimum nine month grind for their starbase to keep them busy, well, probably no better time for something like this.
    eagledraco wrote: »
    In the 90's Expansion Packs were common in MMOs. Players buy the pack and get access to new content, new zones & new classes.

I don't know whats stopping Cryptic from doing something similar for the KDF and then do it for the Romulans too.

They have microtransactions with macroprices in the CStore. A "ship pack" here costs more than a full expansion in an actual MMO tends to. So what's stopping Cryptic from doing that is that they've already decided that they'd rather expand the game by taking those expansions, breaking them into about 50,000 pieces, then selling them to us for over a thousand times the price.

Seriously, why would they want to try and sell a full expansion for forty dollars when they can put a pittance the effort into a single ship, rework the BOff slots twice, then sell it as a pack for ten dollars more than a full expansion in the CStore because we're saps?
    qjunior wrote: »
    Content in small doses for the KDF is more likely.

That had already been the plan.

It didn't work. Mainly because it was abandoned. It's apparently impossible to get any work done on the KDF as an "aside" as when that's attempted it manages to always get forgotten somehow. Since that's the case it needs to be the focus apparently, or nothing will get done.
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It would be called Season 2. The PvE content would be blown through in a weekend and the playerbase would still be jaded.

*However*

What if the developers converted these great Klingon missions en-masse?

That would be 43 new KDF missions, already sorted for progression.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    It would be called Season 2. The PvE content would be blown through in a weekend and the playerbase would still be jaded.

*However*

O_O

It's brilliant. DO IT NAO CRYPTIC!!!
  • captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    im on board with that. now if we had any real influance
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It was just a gross simplification.

I would love to see a PvP sector. Highly amusing that would be. I would love to see PvP maps with objectives, environmental hazards and unique rewards and other goodies. But that's discussion for another thread. What I want to know is how many people would support a full season devoted to the idea, rather than updates every now and then.

I could see a Season celebrating The Klingon's but not devoted exclusively to them. A season where the focus was on Klingon history and events and the Klingon faction. What would be really grand would be to start such a season off with an end to the Klingon/Federation war.
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they did that...
    You'd wake up eventually to find it was all just a nice dream...:D

Shoot, I'd be overjoyed with just a couple new MISSIONS a year for KDF.
    Notice I didn't say new content...because ones idea of content is subjective.

Yeah I'm tended to agree on that, buffered with Feature Series (if they ever return) that'd work for me.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012

They have microtransactions with macroprices in the CStore. A "ship pack" here costs more than a full expansion in an actual MMO tends to. So what's stopping Cryptic from doing that is that they've already decided that they'd rather expand the game by taking those expansions, breaking them into about 50,000 pieces, then selling them to us for over a thousand times the price.

Seriously, why would they want to try and sell a full expansion for forty dollars when they can put a pittance the effort into a single ship, rework the BOff slots twice, then sell it as a pack for ten dollars more than a full expansion in the CStore because we're saps?

Yeah, guess you're right. No incentive for them to go old school with a KDF or Romulan Expansion Pack when they can make more cash from MT's plus they don't have to spend time making new interesting classes, new zones, new story missions etc.

Maybe I'm getting too old for how MMOs do business these days.

*However*

Seen that suggested before somewhere else. Maybe they are waiting for some major Foundry updates (from NeverWinter) before they consider converting Foundry content to be official missions.

But this really needs to happen. I'd be satisfied if they used those to let everyone create a KDF at Level 1.
    edited August 2012
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Seen that suggested before somewhere else. Maybe they are waiting for some major Foundry updates (from NeverWinter) before they consider converting Foundry content to be official missions.

But this really needs to happen. I'd be satisfied if they used those to let everyone create a KDF at Level 1.

They should. If they converted foundry missions (Hey, maybe they could do it for season seven, it is "story focused" after all) they could triple the amount of story content the game has. Even if we just got the spotlight missions, we'd get around 30 new missions, for both sides!
  • nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2012
    Title says it all. Would you be in support of an entire season being devoted to KDF? What would you like to see if Cryptic did this? What do you think the Pros and Cons would be?

I would support this, the KDF is so far behind in content compared to the Fed's that it is pitiful.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would be onboard with this and would also let me create another KDF character but chances of Cryptic doeing this in non existant
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    as long as they add in an option to change the UI color
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm in for everything that improvs the KDF.

Due to the lock boxes Cryptic has the money to improve the KDF:
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    what type of content we talking here

feature Episode

or the not to bad missions the feds have around the romulan sector

i think if you went with option 2 there i think you might stand a chance or even getting all the decent foundry missions for the Kdf which there are a few and making them full missions that would ease the pressure.

plus i have said it before and i will say it again

have comps for the foundry where the price is your mission being part of the game forever and a few c-store points aswell.

plain simple and most importantly DOABLE