test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

340 dil/1 CP = 270 dil/1 ZP, NOT 330!!

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
Yesterday's market rate of 340 dilithium for 1 Cryptic Point should equal around around 270 dilitihum for 1 Zen Point.

Yet the maniplators are taking advantage of people and forcing the market up to around 330 dil per ZP. That would be the equivelent of around 415 dil per CP!!

Don't get ripped off.

Dilithium is worth MORE now than it was before the Zen conversion with the needs starbases have.

If anything, the price should have started around 250 dil per ZP because of this and then should start DROPPING from there as the demands increase with larger starbases needing more.

Don't hand over your hard earned Dilithium for considerably less than its worth - would you have given it away at 415 per CP yesterday? Didn't think so. Especially since, again. it is worth MORE now.
Post edited by captainhunter1 on

Comments

• captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This morning the rate is showning around 310 Dil for 1 ZP.

That equates to about 390 Dil for 1 CP.

Remember folks, the value of Dilithium is now greater than it was before the release of starbases. Don't get ripped off at these prices - see OP.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ripped Off??? The Dilithium Exchange is purely supply and demand here... Prices are where they are because people don't want to post Zen for a lower price. When the demand for Dilithium goes up relative to the demand for Zen, then prices would be forced down. If the demand for Zen goes up relative to the demand for Dilithium, then prices go up...
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    so people who spend their money on zp, are expected to trade it to others for less then what they want for it because some believe the market should have gone down? Not sure why anyone who buys zp would trade it for Dil in the first place, we can grind just like anyone else - but since they have the ZP you want and can get all the dil they want just by playing the game they pay for, the only value it has on the exchange is the reduction of the PIA that comes with grinding.

here's a secret about an economy - weathers it's ZP, Dollars, Euro's, Gold, etc - stuff has only as much "value" as people can be convinced to believe it has.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • zodiemishzodiemish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ripped Off??? The Dilithium Exchange is purely supply and demand here... Prices are where they are because people don't want to post Zen for a lower price. When the demand for Dilithium goes up relative to the demand for Zen, then prices would be forced down. If the demand for Zen goes up relative to the demand for Dilithium, then prices go up...

^ this right here. It isn't a rip off. You have a free market controlled by the players. Now only if we can get crafting for everything ( star ships, items, weapons, ect ) and then make most items player made. ( with a little seeding from the devs. ) then we really would have free market. heck we could drop the whole dilithium. make energy credits worth more, and have a C-store point sold on the exchange. ( It would be like selling PLEXs in another game. :D )

Oh but I guess that is only just a dream.

but no. grouchyotaku is right. That is just the laws of the free market controlling the prices. It will stabilize over time.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Doesn't anyting read the FAQ?

Okay, will it clearly states that 80 Cryptic Points = 100 Zen. This means 1 Cryptic Point = 1.25 Zen.

If the exchange rates were changed to be a 1:1 conversion, the Dil would need to be HIGHER, not lower.

This means you're getting more Zen per Dil than you should be right now. Get it while it lasts.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • mehenmehen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, it is partly ripping people off, since they look at the price and fail to do the math. The "market" in this game is woefully inadequate, and people can't make the right decision since they hardly have any good information to base their decision off of. So yeah, they're getting ripped off...not because of y'all's belief that supply/demand actually works in such a closed-off system, but because it'll take time for the information to spread on what price the system should have started at to begin with. People see the current price, and since they are used to CP, they think they are getting a good deal. It's a little sad that people seem to encourage shady pricing in this game. This is STO, not farking EVE.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    Doesn't anyting read the FAQ?

Okay, will it clearly states that 80 Cryptic Points = 100 Zen. This means 1 Cryptic Point = 1.25 Zen.

If the exchange rates were changed to be a 1:1 conversion, the Dil would need to be HIGHER, not lower.

This means you're getting more Zen per Dil than you should be right now. Get it while it lasts.

That actually means the opposite.

1 Cryptic Point = 0.8 cents
    1 ZEN = 1 cent

If the cash value had remained intact, dilithium would be 272 dilithium because ZEN = more cash per point.

Bad math and an excess of speculation has driven the price in the wrong direction. It may also factor in that some currencies internationally seem to have adjusted their exchange rate relative to points.

My advice right now is to BUY dilithium because its cash value is overinflated.

Because 1 ZEN is worth more than 1 Cryptic point, it should take fewer of them to buy the same amount of dilithium.
  • shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

mabye for some of the informed ones, but the large majorty of people are like this guy who was in Zone last night

here's an example RandomJoe@Mouthbreather (not his real name) "Hahaha! I sold all my CP last night for 345 dill each, and I bought it all back today at 303! I made so much!"
    (no you sold all your CP at 345, then Today you spent all the Dill you made buying CP/Zen back at about 380)

if he sold 4,000 cp, to get back to where he was yesterday for today (5,000 zen) he would have to spend an extra 135,000 dill

tried to explain to him (and zone) why he in fact lost quite a large chunk of his CP/Zen doing that, but my god they don't get it, calling me the idiot saying my math was wrong, and it IS lower due the the number be smaller :rolleyes:
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nope US$1 = 100 zen formerly got your 80 cpoints. therefore 1UScent = 1zen = 0.8cp

If dilithium was formerly between 330 and 350 dil per cp then today it should be worth between 264 (0.8 x 330) and 280 (0.8 x 350) dil per zen.

The market is currently (at 310 to 330 dil per zen) over valuing zen against dilithium by at most 25% due to the misunderstanding of the conversion process or simple speculation for quick gain of dilithium as the price settles from its former rate.

I agree that the correct thing to do just now is buy dilithium. Given the new demand for dilithium for fleet base projects AND the existing demand conversion to boutique currency (now zen), I do not forsee the rate dropping to its true value so we may end up settling at around 300 dil per zen.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Conventional wisdom is indeed that the dilithium needed would have gone down, but that assumes that the conversion rate is the only thing driving the market.

I am not sure the extent to which dilithium is needed for starbases, but zen is needed for fleet modules, meaning the demand for zen might have increased greater than the expected increase in demand for dil.

Additionally, there will be speculators playing with the market.

There have been major events in the last couple days. It will take time for the market to settle.
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Conventional wisdom is indeed that the dilithium needed would have gone down, but that assumes that the conversion rate is the only thing driving the market.

I am not sure the extent to which dilithium is needed for starbases, but zen is needed for fleet modules, meaning the demand for zen might have increased greater than the expected increase in demand for dil.

Additionally, there will be speculators playing with the market.

There have been major events in the last couple days. It will take time for the market to settle.

Well, there's a finite number of fleet modules people will need.

Dilithium will always be needed for fleet holdings and bases.
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yesterday's market rate of 340 dilithium for 1 Cryptic Point should equal around around 270 dilitihum for 1 Zen Point.

Yet the maniplators are taking advantage of people and forcing the market up to around 330 dil per ZP. That would be the equivelent of around 415 dil per CP!!

Don't get ripped off.

Dilithium is worth MORE now than it was before the Zen conversion with the needs starbases have.

If anything, the price should have started around 250 dil per ZP because of this and then should start DROPPING from there as the demands increase with larger starbases needing more.

Don't hand over your hard earned Dilithium for considerably less than its worth - would you have given it away at 415 per CP yesterday? Didn't think so. Especially since, again. it is worth MORE now.

wait. you expected from the people who could not comprehend that Zen worth less than Cpoints to think that now dilithium will worth more?

it was easy to realise, that this will happen. ppl still do not get how prices are not higher, so they gladly buy the dilithium (plus I know one who thought because prices have risen, Zen worth more too, so you have to pay more dili for it...)

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
    edited July 2012
    Well, there's a finite number of fleet modules people will need.

Dilithium will always be needed for fleet holdings and bases.

Right. As people buy fleet modules, the demand for zen will drop and the demand for dilithium will rise. But that hasn't happened yet; the prices reflect the current situation.
    edited July 2012
    ferdzso0 wrote: »
    wait. you expected from the people who could not comprehend that Zen worth less than Cpoints to think that now dilithium will worth more?

it was easy to realise, that this will happen. ppl still do not get how prices are not higher, so they gladly buy the dilithium (plus I know one who thought because prices have risen, Zen worth more too, so you have to pay more dili for it...)

Dilithium is what's over-valued right now. It's a smart buy.

ZEN is what people shouldn't be buying on the exchange right now because it's a bad value to cash in your dilithium for ZEN at this rate.
  • shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Add to the fact there is no demand for Fleet modules at this time as no one can make use of them yet.

While there is a demand for Dill
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Dilithium is what's over-valued right now. It's a smart buy.

ZEN is what people shouldn't be buying on the exchange right now because it's a bad value to cash in your dilithium for ZEN at this rate.

Yup. I got almost 37,000 Dilithium for 45 zen yesterday. Thanks for saving me the grinding time guys. :D
  • dbsheffielddbsheffield Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Keep in mind also, it depends how many people had what when the exchange opened. I had dilithium so of course I would want the price to be 270 or lower. But if more people had zen, naturally the prices would be higher. Either way, if you're a long time exchanger like you sound, this sudden jump shouldn't have had much an impact. I in fact still saw my profits go up despite everything.
  • milner62milner62 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I read the fleet modules could be sold on the exchange, if that is true its only a matter of time till others find this out and we see the exchange go down.

I play the exchange so I can get a new Zen store star ship. I cashed in 10 c-points day before yesterday for 3350 dilithium. I then sold yesterday 3350 dilithium at the good rate of 255:1 for 13 Zen points. So took $0.08 and turned it into $0.13. Not much of a jump but a profit is a profit.

I plan on selling 100 Zen of the 300 I mad doing surveys and watching videos to buy dilithium at 322:1 to resell for Zen at a better rate.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    wildmousex wrote: »
    here's a secret about an economy - weathers it's ZP, Dollars, Euro's, Gold, etc - stuff has only as much "value" as people can be convinced to believe it has.
    BS. what we have now has nothing to do with words like "value", "supply" or "demand". It's more like "taking advantage" of those who are unaware of the current situation.
    edited July 2012
    jjumetley wrote: »
    BS. what we have now has nothing to do with words like "value", "supply" or "demand". It's more like "taking advantage" of those who are unaware of the current situation.

Really? People are being forced to buy or sell? How is that even possible?

Since when did anything in STO become a necessity anyway? This is still a game, isn't it?
    edited July 2012
    Really? People are being forced to buy or sell? How is that even possible?

Since when did anything in STO become a necessity anyway? This is still a game, isn't it?
    First of all - learn to read. Preferably with understanding. I never said people are forced to do something here.

I feel pity for those who can't do easy math but I also feel disgust for those who take advantage over others.
    edited July 2012
    First of all - learn to read. Preferably with understanding. I never said people are forced to do something here.

I feel pity for those who can't do easy math but I also feel disgust for those who take advantage over others.

If no one is forced to buy or sell, and there is no misrepresentation of the nature of either product (zen or dilithium), how can there be any 'taking advantage?'

Its like saying that vendors should buy high and sell low, since otherwise they are somehow 'taking advantage.' Or alternatively that they should warn buyers that someone else not in the transaction might feel their product is overpriced, regardless of what the buyer is willing to pay, or how questionable that 'some other person's' opinion is.
    edited July 2012
    Its like saying that vendors should buy high and sell low, since otherwise they are somehow 'taking advantage.' Or alternatively that they should warn buyers that someone else not in the transaction might feel their product is overpriced, regardless of what the buyer is willing to pay, or how questionable that 'some other person's' opinion is.
    I agree with that completely, believe you me. But in real world there is always an alternative. The consumer is able to compare offers of various sellers and pick the one that suits him best whether it's cheaper or of better quality. What we have here in STO is called "price fixing" and has nothing to do with supply or demand.
    edited July 2012
    I agree with that completely, believe you me. But in real world there is always an alternative. The consumer is able to compare offers of various sellers and pick the one that suits him best whether it's cheaper or of better quality. What we have here in STO is called "price fixing" and has nothing to do with supply or demand.

First of all, there is only one product on each side of this transaction. In the real world, that tends to result in similar circumstances.

Second, there are alternatives in STO. You are shown them. You are complaining about the BEST available alternative, and saying that it is not good enough, disregarding the fact that there are other sellers willing to sell zen (or dil) at less favorable prices.

It is pretty close to a perfect market with all available deals on the table.

You are looking at the low bidders and still claiming price fixing.
  • carl104carl104 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It also depends a lot on how many fleets have gone for the room with a veiw upgrade. That must have swiped billions of dilithium out of the system. In fact between that and the first round of projects i imagine the majority have just blown a good chunk of their dilithum stockpiles.

And it's only going to get worse as we get into the higher ranks. Fleets can easilly chew through dilithium far faster than they can aquire it atm, and with tier upgrades and provishining, not to mention a need to allow members to constantly generate fleet credit for consumables their going to do so for a fair old time to come. And i don't doubt we'll see extra for starbases as time goes on. Maybe even entirly new facillities. Dilithium is going to get in ever shorter supply now. And that means those with excess are going to gouge for every last zen they can, because they know supply and demand being what they are that those wanting it don;t have any choice in the matter if they really want the dilithium. Expect more multi-hundred K dilithium special projects to help drive demand furthar too.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    carl104 wrote: »
    It also depends a lot on how many fleets have gone for the room with a veiw upgrade. That must have swiped billions of dilithium out of the system. In fact between that and the first round of projects i imagine the majority have just blown a good chunk of their dilithum stockpiles.

And it's only going to get worse as we get into the higher ranks. Fleets can easilly chew through dilithium far faster than they can aquire it atm, and with tier upgrades and provishining, not to mention a need to allow members to constantly generate fleet credit for consumables their going to do so for a fair old time to come. And i don't doubt we'll see extra for starbases as time goes on. Maybe even entirly new facillities. Dilithium is going to get in ever shorter supply now. And that means those with excess are going to gouge for every last zen they can, because they know supply and demand being what they are that those wanting it don;t have any choice in the matter if they really want the dilithium. Expect more multi-hundred K dilithium special projects to help drive demand furthar too.

Thats the hope. Sitting on a stockpile I've been grinding for 2 months and the market is going the wrong direction because people can't do basic math. Grrr. Do the friggin' logical thing already!
  • carl104carl104 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Right now it's going to fluctuate a lot for a while as people find their level. When the system stop moving about so much thats when the price will start creeping up. That and it's going to take a few months for a lot of the long termers to empty their stocks even with the big drain on them.

It's when all but the largest fleets, (which could have enough members to generate dilithium faster than they can consume it), are starved for dilithium that the price will really start to rise. At that point the only limit is going to be the price cap.

In fact i'm 99% sure Cryptic and PWE are counting on this to help drive zen sales.
  • milner62milner62 Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Actually thats not bs, a object is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. You can have a car valued at $500,000 but if no one will pay more than $2,000 for it then its only worth $2,000 cause thats all you can get for it.

Which is why apprasial companies make so much money cause people pay them to tell them how much their item is worth not realizing your paying them to value an item that might be low or might be high.
  • quiverboxquiverbox Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    milner62 wrote: »
    Actually thats not bs, a object is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. You can have a car valued at $500,000 but if no one will pay more than $2,000 for it then its only worth $2,000 cause thats all you can get for it.

Which is why apprasial companies make so much money cause people pay them to tell them how much their item is worth not realizing your paying them to value an item that might be low or might be high.

True. But more to the point, Zen is a luxury good. I fail to how "taking advantage" of other players in this way is even possible. If Zen were a necessity-- rather, if there were ANY necessities in the game-- we could have this discussion. You can't take advantage of someone simply by offering a luxury good for a high price. If the good is not as advertised, then sure you can take advantage (that's why we have lemon laws IRL).
  • quiverboxquiverbox Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012

In the real world, there is also product differentiation. In STO there is no such thing, not even perceived product differentiation. Dr. Awesome T. Crafter's Aegis set is exactly the same as Mr. John P. Doe's Aegis set, and no player has any illusions about this (at least I hope they don't... ). There are myriad reasons why the STO economy is not like the real world economy. STO's IS close to a perfect model of a "free market". One thing that prevents it from being a perfect model is that there are probably some sellers who have ridiculous amounts of Zen, and can set a type of price ceiling (those rates that are not the cheapest, but that have large supplies, say 15,000 Zen). However, they probably don't have more that the rest of players collectively, so their advantage can be offset by sufficiently enough players selling at a lower price consistently.

I believe that the alternatives you are talking about are alternative means of buying Zen ships, and other items you cannot buy on the exchange. Fair enough, but these are luxuries and luxuries are elastic. Zen is by no means required to play the game (fleet modules can be placed on the exchange)-- I'm sorry that not everyone can afford a yacht, but I would certainly not say that price fixing is occurring simply because not everyone can afford a yacht. Luckily, we don't have many necessities in game, no fixed costs for survival, so that yacht can be won simply through patience. This is the key: if more buyers had patience, the price would go down. The types of price ceilings described above are usually maintained by sellers that have some degree of patience, just as a similar price floor can be set by buyers with a modicum of patience.

You can ask for a lower price if the best available offer is unappealing. This is how people play the Zen market. To get the best outcome, you must have patience. For example, last night I created a buy offer 3 points lower than the current lowest sell price. A few hours later, my dilithium sold. Patient sellers take advantage of impatient buyers, and patient buyers take advantage of impatient sellers.

(edit: FIY, I don't own a yacht, but I'm saving up.)
    (edit 2: I used the terms price floor and price ceiling for lack of better phrasing. They function similarly to actual price floors and price ceilings, so I think it's fine.)