test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NO Account Bound EDC/Tech/Salvage for us?

darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
The answer was, NO.

In the recent Priority One interview of Salami Inferno, the question was asked, and answered. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=301651
Elijah: We?ve got Paul D asking: ?Will things such as EDC/Salvage/Lobi Crystals become account bound with Season 6 or are these still in the maybe pile??

Salami: We had a lot of meetings where we went over different things we could put that would be account shared and we found too many exploits with all three of those, because we?re Free To Play now you can make unlimited characters and take advantage of promotions and different kinds of sharings in ways that may have been far too exploitable, so I think those are in the ?no? pile right now unfortunately

No, because it's exploitable....

So what I would like discussed, is the ways that these items could be exploted, and discorvering ways to seal that exploit that would allow them to be Account Bound and Account Bank tradeable.
[SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Post edited by darkstarkirian on

Comments

• Options
    fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How the hell is it exploitable?!?
    I thought Gozer said there wasn't any problem with them.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have over 100 EDC's and a lot of tech and salvage just sitting around on my main KDF character while my Main Fed and alts have virtually nothing.

How is it exploiting if i grind equipment on one toon and then transfer it to my other characters, versus actually grinding on each individual character seperately?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Huh? :confused:

Not like players can't already gear up and twink their characters with top-of-the line gear. With STFs, you still got to do those 300 missions for the accolades. And not sure how anyone could exploit promotions, expecially since you can get to Admiral within a day.

Or making some items restricted from the account item sharing.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Making EDC and tech bind to account is exploitable? The gear you buy with them binds on pickup and cant be traded, this is stupid. I r dissapoint.
    The answer was, NO.

In the recent Priority One interview of Salami Inferno, the question was asked, and answered. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=301651

Oh come on, that's BS. I was looking forward to this very much. Just another thumbs down for this game....
  • Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well done salami at completely failing at your job as a game and system designer. How the hell is it exploitable ? its the same player playing the STF ? people dont want to be able to trade it to toehr people they just want to use tech they have played for legit on 1 toon and use it on another who is maybe missing that piece.

Are the developers of this game so out of touch with the people who play ? do they not understand pople have run STFs in excess of what is a reasonable amount, still not gotten tech, but might have iot sitting on another toon ?

Well done Salami (what a stupiud name) of failing at your job :rolleyes: exploitable ? thats a pathetic reason, more like you want to keep poor dumb schumcks grinding for tech so they keep playing.

Cant wait for season 6, nice new content , looking forward to not having to run the same boring stfs over and over :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aveldraaveldra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The only time this issue is a problem is with those accursed Lobi crystals. Leave those BoP but everything else that players have to fight and work for like stf tokens and fleet marks should be BoA. Is Cryptic so understaffed they can't get people to work on a solution rather than just giving up?
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As far as EDC, tech and salvage I am not sure how to exploit. But something like Lobi crystals could be. Remember that when the lobi system was launched you were given some by the guy who works in Quarks? Well if they were account wide you could in theory create a character, get the lobi, then transfer to another character, then delete that character and start again. It could be the code for the STF items is linked in someway to other items that are given out.

Same reason why ships engines and weapons do not have a value when you first get them. So you can't sell them, and then get more and sell them again.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well this blows.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When wondering whether things like this will get changed you have to ask one question and one question only;

Will this make CrypticWorld more money, no money or less money?

Only one of those answers will mean something will get changed.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I fail to see the point of the "Account Bank", when nothing of particular value to other characters, can actually be placed there.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't use it either, any thing I use for crafting or trade I need and having to switch it out of the account bank to use is annoying. My hope (and I would buy more slots) would be that any item in them would be accessible for all toons while in account bank for crafting items etc..
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'll admit, I have a hard time understanding how those are readily exploitable aside from possibly farming the mission that gives you a free Lobi from the TRIBBLE lockbox. There was also that other promotion that gave out a handful of Lobi for re-running the FE's.

But if I had a choice between free Lobi and account-bound Lobi, I'd personally rather have the account-bound Lobi and skip the promotions.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I really dont get how tech can be an exploit, one of my characters has more of a certain type than he needs whilst another no matter how many runs not can get it (trying for months). For sure some things don't need to be made bind on account (lobi) but for things like the tech that can take 100s of STF runs this... I really cannot express how dissapointed I am.
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The answer was, NO.

Well, the two things I would point out are:

Making things ACCOUNT bound actually discourages side accounts, which I'd think counters the exploitation risk.

Second, I've outlined before how I think it would be possible to make these things account bound as a gold only perk. (Basically, when dilithium conversion auto-refinement check occurs, these items get swapped for account bound versions on a gold account and on a silver account get swapped for character bound versions.) This way, these items become stuck on whatever alt picks them up on a silver account and can be shared on a gold account.

The diciest thing is what happens if they're in an account bank when someone goes silver.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "because we?re Free To Play now you can make unlimited characters"

Wut?

Sure, I can make all the accounts I want under F2P. But they're *SEPARATE* accounts. So account-bound wouldn't be tradable anyways.
    edited July 2012
    you know im a pretty stubborn SOB, theres not much that gets to me or f*cks me off or p*sses me off but this really shows ignorance on the developers part but hey its fine, as of right now I will no longer run KAGE, KHITOMER or INFECTED anymore thats it. Ive run so many of these STF's its not funny, but to be slapped in the face like this ? thanks salami for lacking a basic understanding and grasp of game mechanics and excelling in how to p*ss off your players 101. Sigh I wish gozer hadnt left now. He may have been a stubborn person but at least he understood the frustrations and the shortfalls of the game and was willing to give and take. Even a double/triple/quadruple face palm can not describe my disgust right now and cryptics treatment of the players :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »
    "because we?re Free To Play now you can make unlimited characters"

Wut?

Sure, I can make all the accounts I want under F2P. But they're *SEPARATE* accounts. So account-bound wouldn't be tradable anyways.

Good point, that.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    pointedearspointedears Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    even if your free to play so what ? SO F**KING WHAT ? YOU STILL HAVE TO LEVEL TO THE APPORPRIATE LEVEL FOR STFS. Also last time I checked you still have to pay for extra slots and last time i checked 50 is the max number of slots ???? so your worried about 50 lobi crystal on 1 account ? gah think my brain is about to explode with the TRIBBLE reasoning behind this :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Salami you just downed yourself to me. If I can make unlimited characters. How come I can't have Unlimited Ship Slots? Raphic and you can answer that for me.

B-Money@DecadeComplete. Can't get my 500 day reward because I can't have Unlimited ShipSlots.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't understand the no, but why not make it a paid service.

They can track the purchases and insure no exploitation occurs.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    joenatl wrote: »
    Remember that when the lobi system was launched you were given some by the guy who works in Quarks? Well if they were account wide you could in theory create a character, get the lobi, then transfer to another character, then delete that character and start again..

That is something easily fixed by moving the "1free lobi mission" to a higher level.
    Say Commander. That would guarentee that a few hours (let's generically say 5 hours) of play are needed for the 1 free Lobi.

At 5 hours each, to get a "free" Ferengi Shuttle, it would take 4000 hours (166.7 days) of playing, none stop, not even to sleep.
    Simply if the 1 Free lobi was "time gated" it would take so much time to get one free, that it wouldn't really be worth the effort to repeatedly run this for free tradeable items.

Now I'm not saying the Lobi store unlocks at level 20, it unlocks immediately like normal, to allow Cryptic to make money off it. Just the 1 Free lobi mission.
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First off, thank god for transcripts. POne thanks for that.

As for no account bound on STF currency. Sucks to that Assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssmar. What is a level 1/20 toon going to do with a bunch of level 50 stuff he can't use?

A bank full of rare borg tech is going to fit out another level 50 toon. I thought that's what having a "bind on account" flag was supposed to take care of those type of concerns.

Don't make us bust out that 1% Occupy Salami St. hoodoo.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This thread is strong with the dark side. It is also full of logic.

Salami needs to explain his statement, as it doesn't make sense at all.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    haglahayhaglahay Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fine. Don't want to allow us to "exploit" in some indescribable fashion to share our own loot with our own characters? At least give those of us that have run hundreds of STFs the ability to trade in prototype tech that is unwanted for prototype tech that is wanted. The grind to complete a set gets old fast. I even stopped playing pretty much for the last 2 months because I got burned out on the grind.

I've probably run at least 400 STFs at the elite level, not to mention others at normal. I've gotten probably 8 prototype shields, 4 prototype engines, and 1 prototype deflector. Of course, that last one was on the character I didn't want it on.

How about:

2 unwanted prototypes for one we want?

or

1 prototype + 1 rare? Or, 1 prototype + 40 EDCs?

This random drop nonsense is creating nothing but a grindfest that will lose you more customers than you gain.
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well thats just flippin stupid...
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That is something easily fixed by moving the "1free lobi mission" to a higher level.
    Say Commander. That would guarentee that a few hours (let's generically say 5 hours) of play are needed for the 1 free Lobi.

At 5 hours each, to get a "free" Ferengi Shuttle, it would take 4000 hours (166.7 days) of playing, none stop, not even to sleep.
    Simply if the 1 Free lobi was "time gated" it would take so much time to get one free, that it wouldn't really be worth the effort to repeatedly run this for free tradeable items.

Now I'm not saying the Lobi store unlocks at level 20, it unlocks immediately like normal, to allow Cryptic to make money off it. Just the 1 Free lobi mission.

This could work for Lobi.
    Also, every character has it's on "time played" counter. The 1 free mission could be tied to that timer to not pop up til that 5 played hours is completed on that character.
    So even if they do collect, toss into account bank, delete and rerun, that 4000 hours of play needed would be dead on.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seriously, what the heck were they on when they made this decision?

I for one personally stocked up on a lot of the salvages, EDCs and even one borg protoarmor in the hopes that one day these could be transferred to a future character and give them a
    "headstart" as it were when they reach the appropriate level to claim the STF items.

And if this decision goes ahead, all of that stuff will be useless!
    What am I supposed to do with all this stuff if it remains character bound?
    I pretty much have all the STF items I want, so unless a future character can make use of my stockpiles, all they do is take up inventory space!

I'd seriously rethink this decision if I were you!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ummm ... -- how will I exploit the game with the tons of Borg Proto-Tech (that I incidentally don't have) ?

Better yet , how will I exploit the game with having one Borg Proto-Tech on this toon , one more on that toon and so forth , by combining them to one toon (via a shared bank) ?

I can't sell the whole set any more than I can sell the pieces , because they are bound to me .
    So why would it hurt you to bind them to my account instead of my toon ?

I'm sorry Salami , I just don't get it .
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Ummm ... -- how will I exploit the game with the tons of Borg Proto-Tech (that I incidentally don't have) ?

Better yet , how will I exploit the game with having one Borg Proto-Tech on this toon , one more on that toon and so forth , by combining them to one toon (via a shared bank) ?

I can't sell the whole set any more than I can sell the pieces , because they are bound to me .
    So why would it hurt you to bind them to my account instead of my toon ?

I'm sorry Salami , I just don't get it .

Okay. I had to think but I see the exploit now.

You could cycle between alts to play the same STF rather than wait the 1 hour cooldown.